Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slow Catalog on Windows 10

Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
edited September 2015 in The Sims 2
Had Windows 10 for a little while now decided to get into Sims 2 and mess around with my custom neighborhoods. While visiting one of my houses I was rearranging the layout of the house and noticed every time I went to use the eye dropper to select the wallpaper or flooring there was a bit of pause to the game. I firstly assumed it's because this was the first time using the catalog and it was loading everything into cache for quicker response the next time but this is not the case. Even when I got to a different category and return to a previous (should be fully loaded into cache) category I'm still getting the pause and hesitation.
Has anyone else with Windows 10 experienced this and is there a fix for this? I'm currently playing The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. I've already done some editing of the files when I previously had Windows 8.1 to fix the game resolution and black boxes under the feet. I'm still however having a problem with the pool lighting. I don't know if it's a shaders thing or what. I've posted on Nvidia forums and another Sims 2 bug forum, also I think on Modthesims but still have issue with pool lighting.

Hopefully there is a fix for the slow catalog! Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Also want to add it's just the catalog that is slow. The game otherwise runs perfectly!
angrycat.gif

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi :)

I don't know how slow yours is but mine does take a few moments with the eyedropper and wall/flooring. It's not quite as long as when a Witch comes to a Community lot but it sometimes feels like it. :)

*Oh, I'm on a Win8 laptop.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I've noticed the same type of lag/slowness with just the build/buy catalog and eyedropper tools on Windows 10 as well. Now that the game is in Origin, I wonder if we have any chance of this being addressed or if we're completely on our own? If it's the later, maybe a modder will come to our rescue.
  • Options
    I heard that it's because of the Securom. Even in the Origin edition they are using Securom. Windows 10 isn't compatible with any games using it.

I tried researching how to remove the Securom whilst still be able to play the game, however the articles I've found where articles about removing both the Securom and the game. Nothing with just removing the Securom and still being able to play. Also the instructions seemed difficult because you were having to mess with registry keys which can be harmful to your computer if you mess up.

Not only that the Securom is just a speculation I'm not sure if that's the exact cause of the problem.

Besides slow Build/Buy Catalog I've also had an issue where I have 5 Sims and 3 pets and switching from one active Sim to the next had a slight pause and also the game has completely frozen up a couple times and I had to force close it.

Maybe it's Securom, Maybe it's more than that. I don't know.

I've done so many tweaking to my game but it's not running any better.
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    I've sent a support request to the official Securom website peoples and let's see what they say.
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    @Jase I fixed my game! It's 100% the Securom. I can't exactly post here how I fixed it but I did it!!! Game runs perfectly!!! I'm so happy. If you need help private message me. This is for pretty much any version of Windows if you think your having a pausing or freezing issue.
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    edwardreyedwardrey Posts: 20 New Member
    How??
  • Options
    dcaribbeandcaribbean Posts: 1 New Member
    I have the same problem, if anyone has a solution I would appreciate the help!
    My game runs fine (I have all the SP & EPS installed) on Windows 10, but the build/buy mode catalogs take so long to load! I've read elsewhere on the internet that it is because of securom and the only way to fix it, is to play without the disc??
  • Options
    sylvie0806sylvie0806 Posts: 3 New Member
    can you explain how you run sims2 ? please my updates dont work please
    sorry my English is not good !!!
  • Options
    I've private messaged both @dcaribbean and @sylvie0806

Hope the solution helps you and Happy Simming!
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    Aralid6Aralid6 Posts: 1 New Member
    Heyy..Hi you said in a thread you got rid of securom. i cannot message unfortunately, if you could please message me the process that would be amazing. Thank you so much.

Yes i copy paste it haha, but plz help :smile:
  • Options
    mertiuzamertiuza Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, I have the same problem, can you write me a private message with the solution, please? I can't send messages or I don't see how to do it.
    I'm a bit desperate with this problem and it's making me disliking the game :(
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    mertiuza wrote: »
    Hi, I have the same problem, can you write me a private message with the solution, please? I can't send messages or I don't see how to do it.
    I'm a bit desperate with this problem and it's making me disliking the game :(

The instructions can be found here: http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸

Make sure to follow all 3 steps. :)
  • Options
    Thank you. Anyone knows if removing Securom can be harmful for other original games I have or the operative system? I'm affraid of doing that.
  • Options
    Thank you. Anyone knows if removing Securom can be harmful for other original games I have or the operative system? I'm affraid of doing that.

I am not sure what you mean by other original games, if you mean the original Sims, or just other games in general then no it will not harm them. No it will not hurt your operating system either. Actually your computer will thank you for removing it. It was known to kill computers back in the day.
  • Options
    Other games in general, including TS3&TS2, and also GTA IV&V, Life is strange, etc. I mean, I don't know if when I will enter to a game without Securom, maybe the game will say that I don't have the original disc or something like that.
    Anyway, can this procedure be reverted? If something goes wrong, is it possible to have Securom again?
  • Options
    Other games in general, including TS3&TS2, and also GTA IV&V, Life is strange, etc. I mean, I don't know if when I will enter to a game without Securom, maybe the game will say that I don't have the original disc or something like that.
    Anyway, can this procedure be reverted? If something goes wrong, is it possible to have Securom again?

No it will not effect any games. Securom is just a program that EA put into the sims 2 game, to try to stop people from stealing the game. They were actually sued for doing this, because like I said, It killed many peoples computers at the time, and they were forced to remove it from any future projects. It is not needed for anything now. Removing it will do no harm to anything.It can be reversed (I have no idea why anyone would want that evil program) :/ Many people have done this, I have done it myself and have zero issues. I would be more worried about leaving it in my computer! But if you are unsure for whatever reason, just leave it if you want.
  • Options
    klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    @Summerbear5 can you help me fix this issue? I’m not sure how to message you directly. I hope you still remember how to do this
  • Options
    AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    Does anybody know how to fix that? Can't really understand why it wasn't posted here
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @AlwaysTheSun It's not posted because EA doesn't allow the link to the site with the information and it blocks out the name of the site. Google/Search "How to Remove Securom from TS2"... :)
  • Options
    Adam89Adam89 Posts: 1 New Member
    I am not quite sure how to start a new discussion, but I am having trouble rotating the view in my Neighbourhood. I can only click on a small of number of households because the view has "drifted" into the corner and I can't access the lots that are off the screen.
    Can anyone offer a solution?

I hope that makes sense - it is difficult for me to explain without screenshots etc.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Adam89 wrote: »
    I am not quite sure how to start a new discussion, but I am having trouble rotating the view in my Neighbourhood. I can only click on a small of number of households because the view has "drifted" into the corner and I can't access the lots that are off the screen.
    Can anyone offer a solution?

I hope that makes sense - it is difficult for me to explain without screenshots etc.

Are you saying you've downloaded a neighborhood and you can't get to all of the houses?

You will need to download a camera mod. Such as the one found here: http://modthesims.info/d/97642

You'll want the Neighborhood Camera of that set of camera mods. Make sure you follow the instructions for installing the mod. Once this type of mod was created, people did start creating neighborhoods large enough to take advantage of it.

Or are you saying that you sat idle on the map screen and the camera just drifted so much that you can't get to your houses?

If so, check to make sure Edge Scrolling is turned on. If all else fails, going to a different neighborhood and then going back (or restarting the game) should recenter your map.