Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Here Playing the TS4 Want to Play A Simulator?

Comments

• Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I also don't like the shortcuts they do for everything, but to me TS was always more of a caricature of life and i have long since burried the hope of it becoming more realistic.
    Actually, i don't believe most sandbox players even want one. A life sim would be waaaaay mrore restricting. Jobs would be harder, sims would be complexer/harder to deal with and everything would take more time.

Take make up, hair and clothes for example. I would prefer my sim to dress up every morning and have to buy new clothes, to have to put on make-up (and have them react differently to their environment) and go to a hairdresser to change their look. Most sandbox players would be like "whyyyyy can't i do this in an instant? I want more time to decide what I want to do with my sim instead of them having to invest so much time into trivial things!!!"
    Another thing is friendship. I saw a lot of complaints from EVERYONE at the beginning of TS4 how fast friendships decay and how they didn't want to invest time to keep them up. In reality, there are a lot of different types of friendships and while there are some friends you can not call for several weeks and they respect you need your privacy and like you nonetheless, there are also those people that start to grew apart if they spent less and less time with each other.
    I actually want my sim to want to be friends with people instantly, because s/he likes them at first glance and also dislikes some for the same reason,but again, something sandbox players would protest against because it makes it harder to get your sims to do what you want.
    I also don't want every sim to be able to get every job. I want job interviews, i want education that means something. Sandbox players want everything easily accessible.

Honestly, balancing sandbox and life sim has always been a struggle for TS and i think they should concentrate more on the life sim aspect, because there are other sandbox games out there but no life sim. But if TS5 was more like i wanted it, people would probably hate it even more than TS4 for being "restrictive" and "too hard".
    That being said, TS4 doesn't even try to balance those two aspects and replaces them with a lot of watered-down RPG-elements. No, thank you.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Completely agree with your OP Cinebar.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Astro wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is a life simulator, it may not be as good as other ones but that doesn't change the game's genre.
    How is it a life simulator? Babies turning into children and and these "New" emotions don't scream "life" simulator to me.

Then what does? I don't recall Toddlers growing into a Child of twice the size in about 10 days or Adults turning into Elders... automatically getting grey hair, wrinkles and back problems in real life. In fact I don't recall having a birthday in less than a year either or ever found myself trapped when a dirty plate was in my way.
    Coo, and when did I praise TS2 or 3 for being perfect life sims? I didn't. They are far from perfect, but they're the only ones I play and they're sure as heck better than TS4.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I definitely enjoy the sims 4, but I do want more simulation.

I want to shop for clothes, books, seeds and groceries at the store instead of clicking a bookcase etc.
    I want to have to do laundry, swept and vacuum the house.
    I want my sims to have to go to the doctor when they are sick, and if I so choose, spread the sickness around town to crate an epidemic, lol.
    I want the paperboy to show up, and I want him o be a sim I created.
    Same with the maids, babysitters etc. I want those to be my sims from my town. Not game-generated nobodies.
    I want more service sims. Firefighters, repair guys, etc. I also want burglars back.

I do love the sims 4 but the game itself feels very compartmentalized rather than seamless experience. I want that to change.

The paper boy/girl reminds in the TS1 when they come along whistling, the Sim in the house will start to whistle their tune as they wash dishes etc. That was very immersive. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2015
    HOW MANY HERE PLAYING THE TS4 WANT TO PLAY A SIMULATOR?

I do! and yes I play TS4 yet the feels/immersion/ to me is unexciting in some cases, in OP's case especially this part . . .
    @Cinebar wrote:
    I finally saw the topping had magically appeared. :o:s

(And not meaning to bump old threads) I can relate to the OP's scenario to this thread right here

I don't have Kitchen Stuff but the thought did occurred to me that the ice-cream machine would add cool (no pun intended) new interactions/Simulations that would come with the pack, e.g our Sims can share their ice-cream with beloved ones/kids/BFFs, Be mischievous by splatting ice cream on other Sims, new Cooking skill interactions and appliances and if I'm not mistaken (Someone correct me if I'm wrong :) ) the ice cream machine can't be put in the fridge?

I do have GTW and I love the retail side of it especially bakeries, art studios, yet I find it sad that I rarely see after customer Sims bought their baked goods and eat it too in the bakery/cafe I prepared instead they just swipe their hands on the product they wanna buy, sparkles happen and they leave. ( I've even gone to the point where I put "not for sale"/ free sample cupcakes, chat with the customers and "grab serving together" to simulate a bakery) :disappointed:

And yes I do prefer to see our Sims Simulate the things/task that their supposed to do ;)

Ummm - Ice cream machines are never put in the fridge, would not expect it to. LOL. I would definitely worry about playing that pack - I'd be wanting ice cream all the time.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is a life simulator, it may not be as good as other ones but that doesn't change the game's genre.
    How is it a life simulator? Babies turning into children and and these "New" emotions don't scream "life" simulator to me.

Then what does? I don't recall Toddlers growing into a Child of twice the size in about 10 days or Adults turning into Elders... automatically getting grey hair, wrinkles and back problems in real life. In fact I don't recall having a birthday in less than a year either or ever found myself trapped when a dirty plate was in my way.

Its true what you are saying but TS4 in terms of life stages instead of going advance or even stay the same as the previous games it stepped backwards which is not acceptable.

At least we have thought since the this is the fourth game in the franchise they would keep the life stages the same if not go advance.

My hope for the Sims 4 was to have gradual aging. No more life stages and no more height restrictions. Sims instead of being recognized in a particular life stage they would have an age. But of course that did not happen and now I doubt it will ever happen.

I love TS4 too but when it comes to life stages we have to admit that the developers screwed up big time with them. I can say TS4 has the strength in CAS or the ease of build mode but life stages is definitely among its weakest developed things. Thats a shame.

I would have loved to have seen something like gradual aging. In Sims 4 all we have are babies tied to cribs and everyone else are YA's, just in different sizes. For me, they are not really children or teens. In 2014 I expected great things from Sims 4 and got Sims 1.2.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    I also don't like the shortcuts they do for everything, but to me TS was always more of a caricature of life and i have long since burried the hope of it becoming more realistic.
    Actually, i don't believe most sandbox players even want one. A life sim would be waaaaay mrore restricting. Jobs would be harder, sims would be complexer/harder to deal with and everything would take more time.

... Sandbox players want everything easily accessible.

Honestly, balancing sandbox and life sim has always been a struggle for TS and i think they should concentrate more on the life sim aspect, because there are other sandbox games out there but no life sim. But if TS5 was more like i wanted it, people would probably hate it even more than TS4 for being "restrictive" and "too hard".
    That being said, TS4 doesn't even try to balance those two aspects and replaces them with a lot of watered-down RPG-elements. No, thank you.

i think rather "sandbox" means "choices" & not "reality only"
    it means as well reality as shortcuts & the player decides how detailed the game has to be
    the sand is as many options available to the player so that different people can play in different ways, building small or big sandcastles, detailed or clunky

with every game there are always people complaining,
    it's just that with TS4 there are way more complaints than joy about the limiting decisions
    those many limitations in TS4 like backdrops around the corner & not at the horizon first, no roads & no cars to use for sims, tasks to perform by numbers, plants without seeds, spawned & culled sims instead of those living in the neighborhoods, many removed completely or shortened animations &&&

TS4 is in some parts more elaborate like the expressions, animations & performed actions differently with different emotional state
    still, i think the focus mainly on design in CAS, buildmode & emotional animations doesn't provide the player with a simulation
    but it's rather like well done dolls moving around in well done homes due to animation by a machinery inside of them, everything else is done by the player alone & not by those dolls ... besides of playing phone games, wishing for a 1x1 pool & trolling the forums, which is annoyingly uniform behaviour for all sims without any exception
    those dolls are leading a limited & similiar to each other sort of life, that's not sand, it's just few stones which can be set into few lives together often even by numbers only

& btw
    i remember, as i moved from TS2 to TS3, i missed in TS3 too that those sims don't need to go out to actually buy clothes,
    that the grocery shop consists of a list to click, but at least TS3 has still babysitters, paper delivery, burglars, policemen, firefighters in action & many other details from RL, past, fantasy & imagined future

it is surely an art to design a well balanced simulation game between detail & daily chore
    but TS4 has lost that balance greatly & the makers filled the holes in the simulation with other game genres, which don't deliver enough substitute for that missing sand

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    I forgot I had a family where the husband cheated and his wife was super mad at the husband. A year later I make a single adult with a dog and move them in the same apartment complex (Actual apartments with landlords!). My new Sim is greeted by wife and immediately after husband walks out and instant fight!!!!

I actually forgot about the land lords ;)

Thanks for reminding me :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited September 2015
    It seems a lot of people consider "life simulator" is the same as "real life simulator". The Sims serie is certainly not a real life simulator serie and never intended to be one. It's a life simulator, inspired by real life but the Sims live in their own world, with its own rules : a world where spinning makes one change clothes, where there's no dust, no toilet paper, no towel, where you can move walls, and furnitures seamlessly, where you don't have to make sure everything is electrically connected or have a sewage disposal, etc

Could some of those rules be changed ? Sure. Should they be ? Only if it makes the game more fun, not just more realistic.

In my mind, only details that can lead to more storytelling and gameplay are worth being put into the game : mowing the lawn, doing laundry, trimming bushes, laying the table could be interesting. Having to use toilet paper or towels, or having to paint the wall again each time you move a piece of furniture, not so much.

@Writin_Reg
    Ice cream makers that have to be put into the fridge definitely exist, I have one myself. The canister is storing cold by being put into the freezer several hours before you want to use it.

In a Sims world where a fridge can produce cold without being electrically connected, an ice cream maker that does the same seems logical to me, so I don't have any problem with it.
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member

if you read rachel one of the leaders of sims 4 in one of her interview she was the first one to say which sims 4 is no long a life simulator but a "time management game."

then if even maxis don't consider sims 4 a life simulator anymore then how we can consider?
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    If you mean a life simulator then yes I do want to play another one. And I don't mean a Sims 5, I mean a different life simulator produced by another company, just something different and more refreshing, something that's not a "sims" concept.

I'll still play my sims games, but for now I kinda want something totally new.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    Ellessarr wrote: »

if you read rachel one of the leaders of sims 4 in one of her interview she was the first one to say which sims 4 is no long a life simulator but a "time management game."

then if even maxis don't consider sims 4 a life simulator anymore then how we can consider?
    Exactly. I never refer to the Sims 4 as a life simulator game myself. As scripted as the Sims Freeplay is, at least it has life simulation in mind during development.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Exactly. I never refer to the Sims 4 as a life simulator game myself. As scripted as the Sims Freeplay is, at least it has life simulation in mind during development.
    another thing which i found funny, i found another of her interviews, she trying to explain the "cartoon" look of the sims, and she called then "style" rater than cartoon lol, she was saying which they are very realistic with very realistic behavious(as if you see peoples making all that cartoon faces all around the places) which emotions and multitask will make sims in sims 4 very "realistic" >.>, really looks likes many sims 4 aspects really not where well received and that woman just keep throwing lies ane excuses all over the places to try to desesperated sell this game.

http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/69284477440/interview-with-rachel-franklin-executive-producer
    here the interview. really looks like this game really had a lot of troubles before the release.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    another thing which i found funny, i found another of her interviews, she trying to explain the "cartoon" look of the sims, and she called then "style" rater than cartoon lol, she was saying which they are very realistic with very realistic behavious(as if you see peoples making all that cartoon faces all around the places) which emotions and multitask will make sims in sims 4 very "realistic" >.>, really looks likes many sims 4 aspects really not where well received and that woman just keep throwing lies ane excuses all over the places to try to desesperated sell this game.

http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/69284477440/interview-with-rachel-franklin-executive-producer
    here the interview. really looks like this game really had a lot of troubles before the release.
    Yeah stylized art. I did have a laugh at that. The art actually does remind me of the MySims game. Very cartoony which actually works well when creating Disney characters. I mean if all else fails at least it is a game I made Smurf Sims work in. XD The Homer Sim someone made was pretty funny too. I think someone made Nigel Thornberry from the Wild Thronberries too. So I guess are weirder stories can be done kiddie version? I mean might as well make the most of the kiddie version of a Sims game I guess. Get our Disney/Nick fix out of this game. XD I guess the Sims 4 is a cosplay simulator.

I mean characters like these just work well in the Sims 4.
    tumblr_inline_na9b12lLb31sm4274.png

tumblr_naeg4bjO2v1s8g46ao1_r1_500.png
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I definitely want a sandbox, life simulation game compared to any other ridiculous idea they may come up with next, or currently have now.

Thank you :D
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Scobre wrote: »

Yeah stylized art. I did have a laugh at that. The art actually does remind me of the MySims game. Very cartoony which actually works well when creating Disney characters. I mean if all else fails at least it is a game I made Smurf Sims work in. XD The Homer Sim someone made was pretty funny too. I think someone made Nigel Thornberry from the Wild Thronberries too. So I guess are weirder stories can be done kiddie version? I mean might as well make the most of the kiddie version of a Sims game I guess. Get our Disney/Nick fix out of this game. XD I guess the Sims 4 is a cosplay simulator.

I mean characters like these just work well in the Sims 4.
    tumblr_inline_na9b12lLb31sm4274.png

tumblr_naeg4bjO2v1s8g46ao1_r1_500.png

yeah we get the sims 4 the cosplay limited simulator "poor edition"(with less features and more promises) "cuz make games is too difficult and expensive". :D
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited September 2015

I don't consider it a life stimulator and haven't for awhile. That is why I moved back to Sims 2 and it is their loss because I got the full version for free with all stuff included and my wallet stays closed from now on with this time management (So, if she claimed it is a time management game, then it is a 60 to 80 bucks pop game?)...And if it is a time management game, I know over 30 better time management games that cost less than their game packs (EAs)..

They got me with their 7 dollar game that they charged 60 to 80. Gratz for them. But what they lost was my trust for the company within itself to sell me complete quality games and no further interested in their up coming games for any genre. I may be too old for their customer base now, but Dragon Mania Legends didn't ask my age or thoughts when I just threw 30 dollars at them (And it is a pc mobile game and the money was for gems XD)...

So, yes again I like a life stimulator and got that with Sims 2.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    My kids said the same thing, Sims 4 looks like My Sims. They even find it to cartoony for their liking. My 16 said TellTales Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are an artsy style, overly theatrical cartoons are not. She also said EA needs to go look of the definition. LOL
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    UltraviolenxeUltraviolenxe Posts: 96 Member
    I can't really get into this game. It's fun for a few minutes but then the shine wears off and there's really nothing to do. I just find myself going back to playing 3 or 2.
  • Options
    SimleySimley Posts: 284 Member
    Time management has always been a part of The Sims because it's part of life, so that's fine. But having things magically appear in inventory is not time management or a life simulation, it's just annoying because it communicates that Maxis/EA doesn't care anymore. The level of detail in Sims 2 is a big part of its magic.

I'm fine with Sims spinning to change clothes if at least they walk to the closet to get their clothes first, and there are practical reasons (like nudity, and the huge number of costumes in the game) to avoid showing the boring details of dressing. The time saved in spinning to dress also helps make up for the fact that Sims do some other things (like eating) too slowly at times. It's a balance, and it works when the people making the game pay attention to detail and make careful decisions to enhance player experience.

Yes, I definitely want a life simulation game. I've played others (Kudos 2 and The Guild series come to mind), but nothing has equaled The Sims 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top