Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I can't launch TS3 on Window 10

2...Next

Comments

• missylynnferrismissylynnferris Posts: 2 New Member
    I am having the same problem. I have a shiny new pc with Windows 10. I've installed my base game (from Amazon digital downloads) and one of my expansions (WA from Origin), and it isn't working. The launcher will open but when I click the play button, I get "A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (8016)."

This is my PC: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227624&cm_re=NE783K-SL-_-83-227-624-_-Product (don't fret, I didn't pay that insane price for it)

Analysis Log: pastebin.com/xv6ggghR
    DXDiag: pastebin.com/EybNcRvz
  • NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

Have you tried using Windows Compatibility mode? For more information on running an older game such as TS3 in Compatibility mode in Windows 10, you can check out the following page:

http://help.ea.com/article/running-a-game-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-10

The program files to set in compatibility mode are Sims3launcher.exe (game launcher executable) and TS3W.exe (main game executable), and both can be found in the game/bin directory where the base game has been installed.

Additionally, there are other discussion threads about running TS3 on Windows 10 within this forum, and at AnswerHQ, that you may want to check out for further troubleshooting tips.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • missylynnferrismissylynnferris Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2015
    Thank you for your quick response. I had high hopes, but it didn't work.

Update: It seems that the new Intel Skylake processors (or possibly just windows 10) don't get along with the security software embedded in many games, whether from Origin, Steam, Amazon download, or CD-Rom. Really all we can do is wait for Intel or Microsoft to patch it.

Here is a bit more info: forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/61590-important-new-bios-addressing-8016-error-windows-10-because-securom-drm-does-bios-flash-circumvent-microsoft-policy.html

Update 2: I flashed my MB BIOS and it now works. WOO!
    Post edited by missylynnferris on
  • Jared346Jared346 Posts: 13 New Member
    What does it mean to flash your BIOS? I'm having this exact same issue. Can you help me fix it? @missylynnferris
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2015
    Jared346 wrote: »
    What does it mean to flash your BIOS? I'm having this exact same issue. Can you help me fix it? @missylynnferris

@jared346 I posted back to you on your thread. You dont have windows 10 . Follow what I told you in your thread
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Jared346 wrote: »

hiJared346 flashing your bios means updating it - its highly risky and only post fix is for gigabyte motherboards do you know if your board is theirs?

can you also post which sims game is giving you this error, thanks
  • wildriderwildrider Posts: 8 New Member
    edited September 2015
    Ok Im going to address a few misconceptions in the topic.

1. Skylake processors are not the cause of the problem, Windows 10 is. Windows 10 was released before Skylake was available to the public. When installing a skylake processor you also need a new motherboard. This means that OEM software installed is null and void, requiring the installation of a new operating system. Now would you go buy Win 7/8 for £80 to install and then do a "free upgrade" to win 10 or buy win 10 for £60.

Edit: I stand corrected, I set up a dual boot to my old Windows 8.1 drive (OEM so thought this wouldnt work but it did) and ran the game, had the same problem. At this point I shift my focus from Win10 to Skylake.

So I went and checked my BIOS version and there was an update, nothing specific to this issue but I figured Id try it.

This did resolve the issue and I have been able to load into Sims3 fully patched (without EP's Ill try them later) where I couldnt before. So where Gigabyte specifically identified their update fixed this issue Asus did not.

For Asus users google "asus download" (should be 1st link) and put the model of motherboard ie Maximus VIII ranger, select the OS and then expand BIOS. Mine for the above mention board were at 0401 an update to 0801 is there, download it and save it to a USB drive. You then reboot, go into BIOS and use the EZ updater to update the BIOS using the file you just downloaded to USB. When it starts WAIT, do not do anything until you boot into Windows, it may look like your PC is done but it switches off and on a few times when its done it booted up to windows for me (had to restart and re-apply certain BIOS settings).

Gigabyte have a similar update available google "Gigabyte download" (should be 1st or 2nd in the list) and do the same as with Asus. I dont know how their BIOS update works but Im sure theres instruction on their site.

This means your fine on the upgrade, you just might need to flash your BIOS if you have trouble launching.

Id put links rather than tell you to google em, but I cant post links yet.
    Post edited by wildrider on
  • LyricAiLoveLyricAiLove Posts: 54 Member
    A lot of people are having trouble playing The Sims 3. I am too. When I first got the Sims 3 last year it played perfectly on my Windows 8.1 laptop and now it won't even start. And it's saddening because it's like it played perfect not even a few months ago and now it won't play at all.
    What's the deal with this? I know it's not my computer specs because it played well on the same laptop before. I think it's an EA problem. :angry:
    <3 I'm believing you and I can do anything, we can change the world
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    A lot of people are having trouble playing The Sims 3. I am too. When I first got the Sims 3 last year it played perfectly on my Windows 8.1 laptop and now it won't even start. And it's saddening because it's like it played perfect not even a few months ago and now it won't play at all.
    What's the deal with this? I know it's not my computer specs because it played well on the same laptop before. I think it's an EA problem. :angry:
    On the same computer as before and still on Win 8.1 or have you moved up to Win 10? There haven't been any changes to TS3 since the final (?) patches came out in Jan 2014, with 1.67 being the last one released. What we have had since then are flawed Origin updates that have tried to downpatch players' games, sometimes without permission, and borked everything up for them.

Many have gotten relief by (re)running the SuperPatcher that puts things back in balance and makes their game launchable again. Unfortunately others, not as many, have had to uninstall and reinstall.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-super-patcher
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    hey @LyricAiLove i just want to confirm you are getting the 8016 error if not then you issues are probably different then the OP's.
    @ceejay402 I think my problem has more to do with @igazor solution. Oddly enough I played the base game with no issue so I'll try the super patcher and see if that helps. That should fix it. *fingers crossed*

• DeuceyBabyDeuceyBaby Posts: 289 Member
    required security module cannot be activated.

Are you starting the game as an administrator?
    I've got a double plumicide on 1st and Main. Witnessnes said the sus screamed you mother plumber (at the plumber and her son) and hit both vics with a round of ripe purple plums (plucked from the bountiful barrels of a 9mm shotplum).
    @ceejay402 I think my problem has more to do with @igazor solution. Oddly enough I played the base game with no issue so I'll try the super patcher and see if that helps. That should fix it. *fingers crossed*
    great, happy simming
    DeuceyBaby wrote: »

hey @DeuceyBaby are saying this is your problem or are you asking a Q to the OP?
  • DeuceyBabyDeuceyBaby Posts: 289 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    DeuceyBaby wrote: »

hey @DeuceyBaby are saying this is your problem or are you asking a Q to the OP?

The latter, just trying to help. Just going off common sense (as I didn't upgrade to win 10) it sounds like the game is being subject to either an overbearing helecopter anti virus program, or improper use permissions.
    I've got a double plumicide on 1st and Main. Witnessnes said the sus screamed you mother plumber (at the plumber and her son) and hit both vics with a round of ripe purple plums (plucked from the bountiful barrels of a 9mm shotplum).
    Okay, I did the super patcher and I still can't play the game. Also, my Bios is up to date. So I really don't know what it is.
    @glad to hear DeuceyBaby
    Okay, I did the super patcher and I still can't play the game. Also, my Bios is up to date. So I really don't know what it is.
    ok @LyricAiLove can you provide full detail as to the problem and post computer specs, to post hit windows key + R enter dxdiag run report hit save all info and notepad doc will open copy/paste the whole long report here, thanks!

• DeelunaDeeluna Posts: 33 Member
    question, Disc based or Digital Download? because recently there was a windows 10 related update that killed security things such as securom and safedisc, (commonly used on disc versions) which basically rendered a disc based game completely useless on windows 10... could be related.
  • marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    Everything on the DXDiag looks decent (I'm 100% jealous of your CPU), but I'd still check your video card drivers. The Sims 3 has had issues on some Windows 10 installations if your graphics drivers are not Win10 compliant. Your Catalyst driver is dated August 3 or thereabouts (if I googled it correctly), so I'm guessing that they are as Win10 launched prior to that, but checking for an update won't hurt.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I made a post on the issue: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2015/10/windows-10-and-securom.html

If you have the error and DON'T have a skylake processor, please tag me in your answer.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• MissMakoMissMako Posts: 1 New Member
    I am also having problems running my sims 3 games with this error: A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (8016).

I just bought a new computer to be able to play the games and it does have a Skylake processor. It's the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019, does any one know if there is an update for HP? Thanks

I can't believe I just bought a new computer for these games and I can't them to work.
    edited November 2015
    MissMako wrote: »
    I am also having problems running my sims 3 games with this error: A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (8016).

I just bought a new computer to be able to play the games and it does have a Skylake processor. It's the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019, does any one know if there is an update for HP? Thanks

I can't believe I just bought a new computer for these games and I can't them to work.

according to his you need to update your bios, please read and check with HP on your make and model for updates

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2015/10/windows-10-and-securom.html
  • Brightgirl84Brightgirl84 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've just bought a Lenovo yoga 500 running windows 10
    Processor is intel core i5 6200U
    Nvidia GEforce 920M

I'm getting the same error message. Help???
    I've just bought a Lenovo yoga 500 running windows 10
    Processor is intel core i5 6200U
    Nvidia GEforce 920M

I'm getting the same error message. Help???

Try going on the Lenovo web,search your make and model computer and update all your drivers