Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aurora Lockwood Short Stories (Updated 10/31/15)

StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
This is just a hub thread for my short stories most of which will be for @Carewren123 Short story thread (though not all will be submitted)

Table of Contents

First time for anything (this post, look down :p )

A Hard Halloween (Page 1)

First Time for Anything

They say there’s a first time for everything, or as Lauren likes to put it a first time for anything. Everything is too finite in her opinion. It’s limited to “what is” not “what could be.” That’s Lauren in a nutshell, she’s always loved the idea of possibility, ever the optimist to my cynic. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

When you think about it life is made up of those first moments, and often it’s those firsts that stand out in our memory. The first time we open our eyes as a baby, the first time we go to school, our first kiss, but again I’m getting ahead of myself.

first-day-of-school.pngThe first day of school is the first big memory that stands out to me. My family wasn’t doing so well with money so on that day I stood outside the school in an old hand-me-down dress that had belonged to my older sister. A pair of dirty sneakers that had been my brothers. And a pair of the most hideous yet cheap thick rimmed glasses you’ve ever seen, those were mine. Looking up at that big building and around at all the other kids stepping out of their parents fancy cars wearing their brand new clothes I felt scared and cynical as any hope I’d had before arriving faded. How could I ever fit in with them? The girl with the ugly glasses and hand-me-down clothes.lauren.png

And that was when I heard a voice behind me. That was when I first met Lauren. The girl who I would one day marry. But right now she was just the brown haired girl who walked up to me on that first day of school and said five simple words “Hi want to be friends”
From that day on the two of us became the best of friends. We shared so many firsts as the years went by. First math test, we both passed though I only did because Lauren helped me study. First sleep over at my house, Lauren still maintains she had a great time despite the fact that Dad hadn’t been able to pay the bills and we’d spent the night without electricity. First grade graduation, Lauren always said it was a pointless ceremony but she still cheered loudly as I walked across the stage.

boyfriend.png

Then we reached middle school and got even more firsts. First day of band, Lauren got in trouble for emptying her spit valve on the guy next to her after he made fun of my glasses. First date, Lauren never did like that guy though at the time I didn’t understand why. First fight, also regarding that same guy. First break-up, as you can see Lauren was right all along. And then came another big one, the first time Lauren kissed me.

Lauren was comforting me after the break-up, to her credit she never said I told you so. She just saw my pain and was there for me. But I didn’t want to listen. I thought he’d loved me, I thought we were going to be together forever, I thought so many things. I even thought there was no way anybody else would ever want to date me. That now teenage girl with the same ugly glasses and hand-me-down clothes, as always I’m ever the cynic.

kiss.png

And then she kissed me. That first kiss of what would be many. And in that moment I was a first for her, the first person she told that she was gay. And as my surprise faded I got to be the one there for her as she confessed her fears about it. That her parents wouldn’t accept her. That people at school wouldn’t accept her…… That I wouldn’t accept her. For the first time her usual confidence and optimism faded and for the first time I got to be the shoulder to cry on rather than the one crying.

together.png

After that though things went amazingly. Our parents accepted our relationship without complaint, most of the kids at school didn’t hate us, and we both were completely happy as we spent countless afternoons curled up together on the couch doing homework, watching TV, or anything else that gave us an excuse to lean in close and just enjoy each other’s company.

From there more firsts came and went. First day of high school, the same day Lauren gave me the promise ring that meant she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me. First band concert, again Lauren got in trouble for emptying the same spit valve on the same guy for the same insult. First time Lauren tried to cook, don’t even ask.

wedding.png

And then as high school came to an end the day I had waited months for finally arrived. A day with a series of firsts all its own. The first time I saw Lauren walking down the aisle, the first time I said I do, the first time we kissed as wife and wife. It was all one big blur of a first.

family.png

And since then the firsts have still never stopped. Our first house, a small little place in Willow Creek. Our first move, a bigger house in Willow Creek. The first day we saw our soon to be daughter Tiffany at the orphanage, the reason for the bigger house in the first place. And the first time that I got to stare across the kitchen table and truly realize how lucky I was to have a family of my own.

And all too quickly the years drifted by as we got to watch Tiffany have her own firsts. Her first date, Lauren gave that poor boy such a tough time. Her first prom, still with that same boy. Her first (and last) wedding, turns out that boy wasn’t as bad as Lauren thought.

happy.png

But through all that our firsts never stopped. My first prom, we chaperoned at Tiffany’s since we never got to go to ours because I was sick that night. My first gray hair, Lauren still maintained that I was as beautiful as the day she married me. Our first downsize, once Tiffany moved out there wasn’t much reason to hold onto the bigger house. Our first night alone without, I cried like a baby while Lauren held me in her arms. And now I’m crying again as I face the hardest first of my life. Lauren being the first of us to go.

first-to-go.png

And so here I am, my eyes welling up with tears as I look down at my beautiful wife, thinking back on all those wonderful firsts knowing that those will soon end. And suddenly my firsts are turning into lasts. The last time I get to stare into her soft brown eyes that I’ve stared lovingly into for the last sixty-four years. The last time I get to hear her beautiful voice that whispers good morning to me each day as the sun rises. The last time I get to feel her touch as her hand strokes my cheek with as much affection as it always has never once wavering even as she lays hear weak and dying. But Lauren just takes my hand and smiles that beautiful smile of hers up at me as she tells me that we’ll see each other again. I know she’s trying to cheer me up, trying to make this less painful. But I’ve always been a cynic. There’s no evidence for me to hold onto that I’ll ever be able to share another first with her. No hope left to grasp onto. But she has one last thing to say to me before I watch her light fade.

first-time-for-anything.png

“There’s a first time for anything.”

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed the story :)

This is a trimmed down version for submission to @Carewren123 short story thread.

If you want to see the full version (though it just contains a couple extra pictures) you can find it through the short story link beneath my banner.
Post edited by StoriedStorm on

Comments