Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The power of repairing in Origin?

tisvana18tisvana18 Posts: 33 Member
This is what I get for trying to be a good simmer and not use the deleteallcharacters cheat. I decided to manually kill all the townies and npc's (an arduous and ridiculously long process) when I accidentally added the skunk to my household.

Now, I know that just doing that automatically corrupts the main objects.package file, but something I haven't been able to find on the internet is if that's something that Origin can fix? I know that the repair goes and checks all the files of the game, replacing those as necessary, but I don't think it can fix that file can it?

I really don't want to have to reinstall my games because a stupid skunk happened to wander onto my lot at the worst possible moment.

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi :)

It won't fix your saved files. Origin repairs the Game files- Not the saves in Documents. You shouldn't have to reinstall, just start a new neighborhood and delete that one.

You can get an empty neighborhood if you want... I think most of these are still available. Some are to use in the Documents right away and some are for the GAme files in the Computer files. *I'd stick to the Documents files. :)

http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

It won't fix your saved files. Origin repairs the Game files- Not the saves in Documents. You shouldn't have to reinstall, just start a new neighborhood and delete that one.

You can get an empty neighborhood if you want... I think most of these are still available. Some are to use in the Documents right away and some are for the GAme files in the Computer files. *I'd stick to the Documents files. :)

The objects.package file is located in the installation files. Anything that is modified there corrupts the game, but will Origin's repair feature fix the object.package file without having to reinstall the game?
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    xBob18 wrote: »

The objects.package file is located in the installation files. Anything that is modified there corrupts the game, but will Origin's repair feature fix the object.package file without having to reinstall the game?

What modifies that file?

If it's in the Game files in My Computer than it should fix it back to the base settings. . . I know it removed all the CC and modified files I had installed in the Computer files. I had to put it all back. XD

So, it should...
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

What modifies that file?

If it's in the Game files in My Computer than it should fix it back to the base settings. . . I know it removed all the CC and modified files I had installed in the Computer files. I had to put it all back. XD

So, it should...
    The objects.package file contains every universal NPC's character file (Mrs. Crumplebottom, skunks etc... for example). Making them selectable or otherwise messing with them in any way will corrupt their character file (as they are not meant to be playable, they're considered objects).

If you have UC, it's found in Program Files (x86)/ Origin Games/ TS2UC/ Double Deluxe/ Base/ TSData/ Res/ Objects. Check the date since it was last modified. Mine says 2010 so I know it's not corrupted. But if it's from a very recent date, then it might be.

I suggest setting it to read-only.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

What modifies that file?

So, it should...
    The objects.package file contains every universal NPC's character file (Mrs. Crumplebottom, skunks etc... for example). Making them selectable or otherwise messing with them in any way will corrupt their character file (as they are not meant to be playable, they're considered objects).

If you have UC, it's found in Program Files (x86)/ Origin Games/ TS2UC/ Double Deluxe/ Base/ TSData/ Res/ Objects. Check the date since it was last modified. Mine says 2010 so I know it's not corrupted. But if it's from a very recent date, then it might be.

I suggest setting it to read-only.

Thanks, @xbob18 :mrgreen:

I've known not to mess with them for years but it's always helpful to be reminded and to share the info. I had read about making some of those files read only- thanks for reminding me!

I checked and mine is 2010 also. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    tisvana18tisvana18 Posts: 33 Member
    Oh thank goodness! I just checked mine and it has the same date. I don't know if it ever was modified (seeing as I never saved that game), but it does appear as if Origin has the power to save my game!

Thank you so much, I've set mine to Read-Only from now on.