Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Won't Run On Windows 10

I am getting an error message when trying to start The Sims 4 in Windows 10:

Unable to start:

The Sims 4 is already running.

[ed35e0ea:29f00e76:00000000:18a1dd51]

I would post a screenshot, but it says I haven't been around long enough to do that.

thumbsnap.com/xWaRPEKp?src=tsd

I hope this can be resolved. I tried running both The Sims 4 and Origin in Windows 7 compatibility mode. That didn't work.

Comments

• zeefritzzeefritz Posts: 108 Member
    Sadly, restarting did not resolve the problem. The Sims 4 appears to be incompatible with Windows 10.
    I have an AMD card. All of the other games in Origin run. The Sims 4 is the only one that won't. I've tried everything but reinstalling the game.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Try what rosemow linked to above. The user that found a temp fix is on AMD. Are you on laptop and have dual video cards? If so make sure the game is running on AMD. If you need further AMD help page ceejay402
    I finally got it to run! For some reason, Origin keeps downloading the Sims 4 soundtrack files. If I clear the task from Origin, The Sims 4 will run. However, it keeps doing this every time I start Origin. That must be why I get the message that The Sims 4 is running.

Thanks everyone for the help. Obviously, this is a bug in Origin.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    I am glad that your game is now working :) Thankyou for letting us know the cause of the problem.

Perhaps try repairing the game and see if that stops Origin wanting to keep downloading the soundtracks.
  • simplydawnsimplydawn Posts: 181 Member
    i have an nvidia card...
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    dawnderee wrote: »
    i have an nvidia card...

I posted back to you but your still on windows 8 per you dxidag. They claim Nvidia drivers have issues with windows 10
  • JJJNAJJJNA Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi all the only way to fix this problem is remove i s doing the following:

Step 1 go to control panel in windows 10 then go to user accounts click on user accounts/ click on user accounts control settings and bring down the control bar all the way to never notify

Step 2 then go to documents/electronic arts.
    Right click on the sims 4 directory select properties unselect read only then go to sharing select share make sure your computer name is owner select it then click share then

step 3 in the the sims properties from step 2 go to securities make sure your computer name has full control see bottom of screen after selecting if permissions are not full then press edit change to full control then click apply then close this should fix your problem

Hope it helps JP
  • Bluekitten76Bluekitten76 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @JJJNA said:
    > Hi all the only way to fix this problem is remove i s doing the following:
    >
    > Step 1 go to control panel in windows 10 then go to user accounts click on user accounts/ click on user accounts control settings and bring down the control bar all the way to never notify
    >
    > Step 2 then go to documents/electronic arts.
    > Right click on the sims 4 directory select properties unselect read only then go to sharing select share make sure your computer name is owner select it then click share then
    >
    > step 3 in the the sims properties from step 2 go to securities make sure your computer name has full control see bottom of screen after selecting if permissions are not full then press edit change to full control then click apply then close this should fix your problem
    >
    > Hope it helps JP
    This helped! I followed these steps & it worked! Thanks! JJJNA
  • candygirl2005candygirl2005 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2015
    Problem solved. {ed35e0ea:29f00e76:00000000:18a1dd51} Sims 4 already running! 1. The Sims 4 folder in documents Electronic Arts got corrupted when upgrading to Windows 10. 2. Copy the "save" folder from the Sims 4 folder. 3. Delete the Sims 4 folder. 4. Start the
    Sims 4 game. 5. The game will create a new Sims 4 folder in the Electronic Arts folder. 6. Exit the game and copy the "save" folder you saved earlier to the new Sims 4 folder. 7. Sims 4 should now work.

This solution worked for both of my computers that has Windows 10 with Sims

Also to get your saved games working you need to clear (Uncheck) read only box in saved games properties folder.
    Post edited by candygirl2005 on
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    JJJNA wrote: »
    Hi all the only way to fix this problem is remove i s doing the following:

Step 1 go to control panel in windows 10 then go to user accounts click on user accounts/ click on user accounts control settings and bring down the control bar all the way to never notify

Step 2 then go to documents/electronic arts.
    Right click on the sims 4 directory select properties unselect read only then go to sharing select share make sure your computer name is owner select it then click share then

step 3 in the the sims properties from step 2 go to securities make sure your computer name has full control see bottom of screen after selecting if permissions are not full then press edit change to full control then click apply then close this should fix your problem

Hope it helps JP

that helped me... BUT.... HOW THIS WORKS?
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • aidenzhichaoaidenzhichao Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2015
    Try this ( works for WINDOWS 10 if you upgraded from windows 7 )

1. Right click The sims 4 icon on the desktop
    2. click on "[b]troubleshoot compatibility[/b]"
    3. let it detect the issues, once its done click "[b]troubleshoot program[/b]"
    4. Next check "[b]i don't see my problem listed[/b]" and make sure to un-check everything else then click next
    5. select [b]"Windows 7"[/b] and click next
    6. check "[b]i don't see my problem listed[/b]" and make sure to un-check everything else then click next
    7. click [b]test program[/b] if you want to see if it worked
    8. if it did work make sure to click [b]NEXT[/b]
    9. click [b]yes, save these settings for this program[/b]
    10. If it [i]DID NOT WORK[/i] click "[b]No, try again using different settings[/b]"

this might also work with other upgrades listed on the troubleshooter, my recommendation is to try out other settings with the troubleshooter but this did work for me.
    Try this ( works for WINDOWS 10 if you upgraded from windows 7 )

1. Right click The sims 4 icon on the desktop
    2. click on "troubleshoot compatibility"
    3. let it detect the issues, once its done click "troubleshoot program"
    4. Next check "i don't see my problem listed" and make sure to un-check everything else then click next
    5. select "Windows 7" and click next
    6. check "i don't see my problem listed" and make sure to un-check everything else then click next
    7. click test program if you want to see if it worked
    8. if it did work make sure to click NEXT
    9. click yes, save these settings for this program
    10. If it DID NOT WORK click "No, try again using different settings"

this might also work with other upgrades listed on the troubleshooter, my recommendation is to try out other settings with the troubleshooter but this did work for me.

I am glad that you were able to get your game working through using windows 7 compatabiilty. Because you are a new member and can't use bb code, I will quote your post here in this post to help others that have the same issue.
  • aidenzhichaoaidenzhichao Posts: 2 New Member
    thank you, i did notice it didnt work for me at frist so im glad you reposted it
  • XxxVengeancexxXXxxVengeancexxX Posts: 124 Member
    dawnderee wrote: »
    i have an nvidia card...

I have an Nvidia card in my laptop that runs Windows 10, no problems for me. Haven't had to do anything fancy so I guess I might just be lucky. If you're having problems, I'd make sure you have the latest Nvidia Driver and also go into the Nvidia Geforce Experience App, locate the Sims 4 under the games tab and click the Optimise button and see if that helps.

• sarah burrsarah burr Posts: 1 New Member
    Tried and failed to get the game to start. Did start when I was using Win 7, now that I have Win 10, I get message "Unable to start: Cannot start because required game data is missing or damaged. Please try reinstalling the game. [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000:00000000]". Uninstalled the game and reinstalled, but message still comes up. Tried other methods mentioned here, still doesn't work. Can anyone help me with this one.
    sarah burr wrote: »
    Tried and failed to get the game to start. Did start when I was using Win 7, now that I have Win 10, I get message "Unable to start: Cannot start because required game data is missing or damaged. Please try reinstalling the game. [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000:00000000]". Uninstalled the game and reinstalled, but message still comes up. Tried other methods mentioned here, still doesn't work. Can anyone help me with this one.

Hello @sarahburr
    This link refers to the message that you have been receiving.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2015/02/cannot-start-because-required-game-data-is-missing-or-damaged/

Try right clicking on the origin icon and then clicking " run as administrator" and see if that helps.

If you continue to have issues, remove any cc/mods that you have and see if that helps.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 1 New Member
    my The Sims 4 cant run on windows 10, when i click the sims 4 nothing happened, can u give me a solution?
    Fidel wrote: »
    my The Sims 4 cant run on windows 10, when i click the sims 4 nothing happened, can u give me a solution?

Hello @Fidel.
    Have you just installed the game or have you already played the game before?
    If it is your first time, repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to My Games in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

Check that your graphics drivers are up to date.

If the issue still continues, could you please post your DxDiag info here. It will take multiple posts.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to here in this thread.
  • Karly011Karly011 Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm really frustrated with the Sims 4. I have a brand new Asus ROG computer with Windows 10. When I try to open The Sims 4 with either Origin or from the shortcut icon as Administrator, I get the following error message: "The Sims 4 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly...." I've tried some of the suggested fixes. Nothing seems to work. Any new suggestions? This computer doesn't have a lot of anything else loaded on it that should interfere.
    Kat.
    Karly011 wrote: »
    I'm really frustrated with the Sims 4. I have a brand new Asus ROG computer with Windows 10. When I try to open The Sims 4 with either Origin or from the shortcut icon as Administrator, I get the following error message: "The Sims 4 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly...." I've tried some of the suggested fixes. Nothing seems to work. Any new suggestions? This computer doesn't have a lot of anything else loaded on it that should interfere.
    Kat.

Hello @Karly011
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

If you still have issues., try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps.