Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10 Review

Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
My review on Windows 10:

Rating: 10/10

Should You Upgrade? Yes.

Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 and 8.1; so upgrade. ;)
Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    edited July 2015
    i still havent got my wave -_- plum downloader
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I'm getting used to it. I managed to get Sims 1, 2 and 3 to open at least and have downloaded the NVidia Windows 10 update From Nvidia's own site and set the games that it recognises to Optimal settings. You have to play some others like SimCity first to get them recognised by NVidia.
    I would suggest people use "Repair Game" for Sims2 in Origin as Windows reported some settings deleted and to download the game again. Origin accepted this and did so. I did this for all of them anyway.

What I do get fed up with is that all the games have to have their options reset as all of them act as if you are playing them for the first time - even though old games are recognised.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,903 Member
    I downgraded so I can make a Windows 7 reinstallation disk, then I might upgrade again. I will seriously have to think about it.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Such an intresting review. Would've expected a paragraph with it but the ratings are as expected- you rate everything 10/10.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    Adding to my last comments ....I found a way to get my old Windows Explorer back via the live tiles at the start. Clicking on the old Windows Explorer icon got my Homepage and Favourites back. I didn't like the way that Microsoft coerced me to use their own news site in the new browser. Being in the uk I like to start with the BBC news as my homepage. Too much bias to USA and I get fed up with the Kardashians thank you. (experience from my Windows 8.1 smartphone)!

I also turned off ALL of the Live Tiles and uninstalled CandyCrush. I find I waste too much time on Bejewelled 3 anyway!

In its favour, the OS is now faster as my new laptop is geared up to it. Possibly turning off the Live tiles helps?
  • Options
    Sims2FTWSims2FTW Posts: 4 New Member
    I find Windows 10 to be abit slow on startup on my laptop... Sims 4 is working fine but yeah the settings did reset themselves.
    Havent tried the Sims 2 yet, its the one am dreading to do, i'll probably cry if it doesn't work lol
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    windows 10 is hood hoalmes
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    Sims2FTW wrote: »
    I find Windows 10 to be abit slow on startup on my laptop... Sims 4 is working fine but yeah the settings did reset themselves.
    Havent tried the Sims 2 yet, its the one am dreading to do, i'll probably cry if it doesn't work lol

With Windows 10, TS2 UC not only still works, but it's actually so much smoother for me! I don't have anymore lag from Speed 3. :D
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    Haha thanks for your 'review', Colton. XD I'm still waiting for my new laptop which will have Windows 10 installed.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    @Colton147147 - Hmmm I wanted to give you a like and a lol but it won't let me, only one permitted. How Cliche. Any ways, I concur, install it, you'll like it. I tested it back in January already with Sims 4 and 3 and they both run great. One day I should probably install 1 and 2 again just for giggles, I kept my disks but I am sure they will run on 10 too. I think I may have my Sims 1 & 2 mods still too, ooo! And yes you will need to reset all your options including script mods so don't forget that if you had it ticked before.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    My review on Windows 10:

Rating: 10/10

Should You Upgrade? Yes.

Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 and 8.1; so upgrade. ;)

A very in depth review, you have answered all the questions that anyone may have about Win10. Thanks!
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    i dont kno how to do clean install sad me
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    Just do the regular upgrade, if you decide later you want to clean it up and make things pristine and reinstall your programs, you can do that through system recovery in settings. Otherwise, to do a clean install, you would need to download an iso. If you do the upgrade and then want to free up the disk space left by windows.old, cleanup will also remove that but then of course you won't be able to restore back to windows 7/8/8.1. LOL, you'd think I worked for MS the way I keep going on but I don't. I really do like this OS though, I liked 7 a lot but 10 takes the cake.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    KnoxhoodKnoxhood Posts: 266 Member
    Windows 10 is awesomeee!! Definitely worth the upgrade from 8.1
    EA ID: Knoxhood
    VzZNxCw.gif
    PC Specs: Corsair 760T Black Case, Intel core i7 6700K CPU, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo, MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition, 64GB DDR4 Geil 2400MHz RAM, 2x 240GB HyperX Savage & Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, 9TB WD Red HDDs, ID-COOLING FrostFlow 240L Red LED CPU cooling,750W PSU.
  • Options
    imdebraimdebra Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm having The Sims 3 no launch problems since installing Windows 10. I did as EA chat tech support told me, and went to NVIDIA, updated drivers, and set up a game profile in their GeForce Experience utility. Didn't work. So EA chat tech told me to uninstall and reinstall the game. Did that, but did not uninstall the saves. Did all the origin and launcher updates, as they were shown to me. Issue remains the same. So now I've uninstalled the game again *and* all the saves as well, and am trying again to download and install it. I'm okay about losing my saves, but this is a warning to those who may not be quite so okay about it - for one thing...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    All the Sims games run ok on Windows 10 but all start on basic settings and Options have to be set up again. Sims 2 is very blocky and flashes and I need to search again for changing the resolution settings. Admin permissions are a pain.

For some reason the internet pages were very slow to change and then I lost my internet wireless connection and had to find my ethernet cable.
    I think Windows 10 tries to be too helpful and slows everything down.

I kept being told that my internet wireless connection had a 651 error when I tried to connect and looked in vain for the password and pin entry options and Cortana was useless in finding anything useful.

I got my wireless back by resetting my Router back to the original settings (via pressing the Router reset button for a minute with a paperclip) turning the router off and uninstalling the wireless adapters from the Device Manager. After restarting both PC and Router (Super Hub) and pressing Connect to my name in available wireless connections I got a box that asked for the WPS pin and then I got in.

I've spent so much time in getting this to work properly that I am not going to upgrade my older laptops but keep them for backup.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Sims2FTW wrote: »

With Windows 10, TS2 UC not only still works, but it's actually so much smoother for me! I don't have anymore lag from Speed 3. :D

Good I am crossing my digits I am waiting on getting windows 10 free download.
  • Options
    dominimpdominimp Posts: 162 Member
    edited July 2015
    >:)

I am waiting, I tried last night to DL it but it didn't work.

I think too many people swarmed the server to grab it. I heard it was buggy for some.

I want to try it on my 8.1 first because all my games are on 7, while only a few are on 8.1. I will try to get it once a week until it works, I reserved it as soon as I saw the notice awhile back, and I think I was too late on the draw when it released to grab it lol.

>:)
  • Options
    Further to my last post. I tried The complete collection of The Sims (original) again and it came up as" incompatible program" Anybody know how to set it up correctly? I tried the compatibility setup for XP 3 and earlier but it didn't work. Is Windows 10 a step too far?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Mchap353 - that's all I'm getting now too. And problem reported to Microsoft by Windows 10 compatibility assistant (or whatever it's called). I'm all out of ideas except to wait and see if it gets resolved. EA isn't talking to me after the first session - they have it listed as resolved and close a new case as soon as it's opened without phoning me.

Okay so they're chatting with me again and just gave me a new set of instructions to try after they muck about with my account on their end for a few minutes - wish me luck...

... nope, that didn't do it either.

August 19 - FINALLY! What fixed it was manually uninstalling The Sims 3 and all expansion packs for it that I've ever installed. It took a half dozen or more chat sessions with EA Help to get to that solution. I was directed to instructions that included messing with the registry. Hallelujah...
    Post edited by imdebra on
  • Options
    > @Mchap353 said:
    > Further to my last post. I tried The complete collection of The Sims (original) again and it came up as" incompatible program" Anybody know how to set it up correctly? I tried the compatibility setup for XP 3 and earlier but it didn't work. Is Windows 10 a step too far?

EA Help chat finally gave me instructions to manually uninstall The Sims 3 and all expansion packs I've ever had installed, and that worked for me. All praise the tech gods...
  • Options
    @imdebra I don't have any but the usual slow problems with Sims 3 but I am going to try Cinderellimouse suggestions for Sims1. I went back to Sims 4 building houses until I found this..............

https://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/how-to-install-and-run-the-sims-1-on-windows-8/

I have yet to install Windows 10 again as I did not like it.
  • Options
    FloridaSimmerFloridaSimmer Posts: 358 Member
    How long does it take to upgrade??
    Origin: Floridasimmer

giphy.gif

• Options
    How long does it take to upgrade??

Depends on your internet connection.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.