Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Okay, and we're done!

Blight

This is a continuation of my August story, Twisted Addiction. It follows a similarly dark theme, with mature aspects to it, so be warned! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Bwahahah - @Munterbacon , I almost did the same thing with a continuation of my August story. . . only darker than that one. Now I'm doubly glad I changed my mind.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Bwahahah - @Munterbacon , I almost did the same thing with a continuation of my August story. . . only darker than that one. Now I'm doubly glad I changed my mind.

@ra3rei I was thinking of you when I read Munter's story! I was like "thank goodness she didn't do her original idea!" :lol:

(Also... Hey! If you read his story, doesn't that mean you should read mine too? :tongue:)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Lol @CitizenErased14 I didn't read his story, just the comment here. (Otherwise I would read yours.) I've got all my other posts scheduled for this week which means I get to concentrate on the short story! My goal is to have it done before I leave for Copenhagen.

Short Story Status: Idea - done. Draft - to do. Screenshots - planned.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    I will just continue pestering you until it's done, @ra3rei don't worry ;) Hehehehe
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ra3rei wrote: »

OMG @ra3rei , that would've been too funny! :D People would've thought we were in cahoots! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    It's funny, I write all my short stories different to how I usually do. My normal stories I have an idea of how I want the chapters do go and try and capture the screenshots, then I write it. My short stories are all written first, and then screenshotted afterwards. I just found that interesting, but I guess it makes sense considering their is a max limit of words. :)
    dustshaela.jpg
  • Options
    It's funny, I write all my short stories different to how I usually do. My normal stories I have an idea of how I want the chapters do go and try and capture the screenshots, then I write it. My short stories are all written first, and then screenshotted afterwards. I just found that interesting, but I guess it makes sense considering their is a max limit of words. :)

It's interesting @Munterbacon Because it sounds like our usual process is very similar!

In my normal SimLit, I outline/plan, then screenshot, then write (using a combination of my outline and screenshots as a guide).

My short stories are weird. :lol: I do each one differently! My August short story (the one that became the "pilot" of PNN :lol:) I screenshotted first. My September story (the vampire one) and my January one (the... One I can't specify because of spoilers :lol:) I did a weird hybrid thing where I had them partially written and the rest just outlined, then screenshotted, then edited/completed what I'd written.

My December story (the Mel one) and my non-qualifying October one (the ghost one) I completely wrote first, then screenshotted :)

That was way too much information, but there you go :lol: I would be interested in hearing about other peoples' processes too though!

(Also... Is anyone else gonna do December superlatives? *poke*)

(Also... More January entries? Pretty please? *nudge*)

Okay I'm done harassing the thread :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

It's interesting @Munterbacon Because it sounds like our usual process is very similar!

In my normal SimLit, I outline/plan, then screenshot, then write (using a combination of my outline and screenshots as a guide).

My short stories are weird. :lol: I do each one differently! My August short story (the one that became the "pilot" of PNN :lol:) I screenshotted first. My September story (the vampire one) and my January one (the... One I can't specify because of spoilers :lol:) I did a weird hybrid thing where I had them partially written and the rest just outlined, then screenshotted, then edited/completed what I'd written.

My December story (the Mel one) and my non-qualifying October one (the ghost one) I completely wrote first, then screenshotted :)

That was way too much information, but there you go :lol: I would be interested in hearing about other peoples' processes too though!

Love reading about your writing processes!

For my short stories, I write first, then screenshot. Fortunately, the Sims have been really collaborative and cooperative with me, doing just what's needed for the story! :)

For almost all of the rest of my work, I play first, screenshotting while playing, then write a story that tells what happened, trying to look into the Sims' inner lives as revealed through their actions.

And! I plan to do superlatives! I've got a busy month--I've got a goal to get in superlatives before the Jan poll, though!

I loved your superlatives, Citizen!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    supernatural103supernatural103 Posts: 433 Member
    I have my short story almost complete! I decided to come join this challenge, as I love writing short stories. I took a creative writing class a couple years ago and had to write a 2 page short story each week, which was really fun! I wish I would've saved all the prompts the professor gave us for each week. They were so fun!
    yaHATa3.png
  • Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member

(*Is poked then nudged*)

Don't worry @CitizenErased14 , I going to try to do my superlatives this week, and finish my story this week. Once it's done, I'll write a plan of the screenshots, because, due to the limit, I will have to slot them in appropriate places. Then I compile everything and upload it!
    Hehehe the ''pilot" :p
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @IchigoUsagi definitely not too late. :) Adding yours and @Munterbacon 's story to the front page now.

@supernatural103 We're so glad to have you. If you remember any of those prompts and want to share I'd love to hear them. Would any of them have been a good fit for a potential month's theme here?

I'm also really busy this month (When was the last time I wasn't right? LOL) But I do still plan on getting caught up with all the superlatives.

E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @Carewren123 or @anyone-else-who-can-answer-this

Quick question.
    Would my story be eligable if the theme was as flimsy as:

(Don't click unless you are planning answering my Q or want to know a spoiler for this months entry: )
    The only Countdown reference is in the epilogue and it is 'I have counted days till I would join your father' and 'I have counted down the days till I hear your story from start to finish'

Thank you =):)
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member

Quick question.

(Don't click unless you are planning answering my Q or want to know a spoiler for this months entry: )
    The only Countdown reference is in the epilogue and it is 'I have counted days till I would join your father' and 'I have counted down the days till I hear your story from start to finish'

That interpretation of the theme is fine with me. I pretty much think you should have all the creative license you want with the theme.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    @Carewren123 I only remember a couple of the prompts. There was one where we had to make a story about our hometown, another about a catchphrase we or someone we know uses, and one about our favorite place. The first day of class she had us write an introduction from the point of view of our shoes. XD It was a fun class. I'll see if I can hunt up some of the stories I wrote so I can get the prompts from them.
    yaHATa3.png
  • Options
    Here is my submission! Aiden's Freedom
    yaHATa3.png
  • Options
    @Carewren123 I only remember a couple of the prompts. There was one where we had to make a story about our hometown, another about a catchphrase we or someone we know uses, and one about our favorite place. The first day of class she had us write an introduction from the point of view of our shoes. XD It was a fun class. I'll see if I can hunt up some of the stories I wrote so I can get the prompts from them.

Oooh! Hometown would be a great theme! Or even Home. Or Homecoming.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    Well, I'm super excited. I think I might have a submission for this month! <3 I'm trying to not get too excited, though. It's so rough right now and I'm kind of worried it won't pan out how I want it to. I'm going to bed now and will look at it again Friday night. :D
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options

Quick question.

That interpretation of the theme is fine with me. I pretty much think you should have all the creative license you want with the theme.

Okay, thank you! <3
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    I have my January short story ready: The Tower
  • Options
    zbern12zbern12 Posts: 445 Member
    This looks fun! I'm going to start my submission now :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I got mine ready, too! :)Ten Reasons to Leave

• Options
    Yay! More stories to read! :blush: This has been an interesting theme with some interesting interpretations so far! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Having been nudged and poked by @CitizenErased14 , I thought I'd do my superlatives.

No Matter What
    by @CitizenErased14 - Best returning character - When I saw Mel, I was like, YAYYYY! And then we saw Christian I was like, YAYYY! I loved seeing the Dust to Dust characters again, and the whole backstory of Mel was so realistic and believable, given her personality. I loved it!

The Last Christmas
    by @JoieWilder - Most bittersweet - Even though Clare died at the end, you presented her life in such a positive light, I was only a little bit like,'oh no, she died, that's sad', but more 'What a wonderful life she had.' That I think, is a great way to present a person's life, focus on the positives that happened in it, so I loved it.

December Fool's Day
    by @Pegasus143 - Best story within a story - Do you get that? I mean, I love it when characters tell stories from their past, and the author includes flashbacks so I really loved this one. =)

One Night by
    @CathyTea - Most peaceful feeling - After reading this, you left me with a peaceful, serene, musing mindset. I loved the flashbacks in this one too, and it did have a Christmas magic about it! :blush:

Ninjapig and the Foodie Five Vs. The Meatball Menagerie by @Munterbacon - Biggest amount of laughs - I absolutely loved it! You had be giggling from start to finish, with a lot of loud belly laughs in between! Thank you for brightening my day with Ninjapig adventures!

For Auld Lang Syne
    by @sabreene - This has already been said, but Best character voice - KC was really well written, I loved reading her voice, it was so real, I could really feel her emotions. Well done! :)

Frozen Memories by @ra3rei - Best screen-shots - I loved how you incorporated TS3 into your story, for their past, it was really creative and effective. I loved it! :smile:

We Are Sisters Forever
    by @Spottydog714 - Thank you for all your comments and feedback, the response was overwhelming. I really appreciate it, I had so much fun writing it! THANK YOU! <3

Resolutions Resolved
    by @mastressalita - Most understandable - I loved how Jayla came to love her figure... Dissatisfaction with our appearance is something a lot of people struggle with, and I could really relate to this story. At the end, when Jayla was reading, it gave me a warm satisfied feeling. I loved it.

A Christmas Change
    by @putacece4lyfe - Most different take - I love how you told the story of Mrs. Clause, a character we rarely hear about, but is always there. I loved reading her story. I've never seen a story from Mrs. Claus's perspective before, it was a very unique read. I loved it!
    Post edited by Spottydog714 on
    EkpFDaf.png