Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @CitizenErased14 I wrote my story! So, as long as I get a chance to do the screenshots--and I should be able to by next week--then there will be one more entry! And I'm really happy that I wrote it--I never would have, without this prompt!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 I wrote my story! So, as long as I get a chance to do the screenshots--and I should be able to by next week--then there will be one more entry! And I'm really happy that I wrote it--I never would have, without this prompt!

Violating my "thread break" (that sounds weird :lol:) to say: "Yay! I can't wait to read it! I'm sure it's gonna be awesome, and I'm pumped to see what you did with this prompt." :smiley:

snvAF3B.png

Violating my "thread break" (that sounds weird :lol:) to say: "Yay! I can't wait to read it! I'm sure it's gonna be awesome, and I'm pumped to see what you did with this prompt." :smiley:

I feel that it will be terribly disappointing--BUT at the same time, I'm so happy that I wrote it! You know how it feels when there's a project that feels writers-blockish, but then you work through the block and come up with a little something, anyway? That's how I feel about it!

It's a satisfying "also ran"!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »

I was actually hoping to convince others to stretch a little and try writing this month even if they don't have the "best" idea since I can't. It's more fun when everyone joibs in...more for me to read.

I will try to write mine. Mine feels so boring to me and I have so many other projects going on... but at the same time, it's good discipline to write it anyway, and I sort of love the challenge of making a boring idea into a story... even if not much happens, there are still ideas there, right? Ok! I will work on it for a little bit today and try to get it completed by Sept. 30! Maybe I'll even take a day off of work to work on it! Maybe we should all claim Monday or Tuesday as National Short Story Challenge Day and stay home to write! :)

Haha my college would definitely not go for that. We are only allowed 4 absences per quarter with no leniency. Even if there's a death in the family. I'm hoping I can write one for October... fingers crossed.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    So, ummmm...I found this on my site. Not sure where it came from :p
    http://www.jes2gstories.com/welcome-home/
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    I just read everyone's piece. Wow! They're all so serious this time around...and captivating!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    So regarding this month and the call to null and void the vote. I am so strongly against this it is not funny. Not that I think any less of people that are calling for this to happen, I think it is just not fair on the others to pull the vote if the numbers are too low. Would you do the same if there were 50+ stories submitted?

In my opinion you just have to ride out the quiet months. I'm not participating this month not because I don't like the prompt - I actually think it's really awesome - I just can't get my head to work on anything creative right now other than CAS and building.

The main thing I love about this is that it is fun. A challenge amongst friends. You start adding too many rules, like when we have too few votes we do this, or we have too many votes we do that. We have too many stories with redheads (sorry redheads, I love you really... No truly, I do!), we have too few stories with ninjapig.

:p!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    So regarding this month and the call to null and void the vote. I am so strongly against this it is not funny. Not that I think any less of people that are calling for this to happen, I think it is just not fair on the others to pull the vote if the numbers are too low. Would you do the same if there were 50+ stories submitted?

In my opinion you just have to ride out the quiet months. I'm not participating this month not because I don't like the prompt - I actually think it's really awesome - I just can't get my head to work on anything creative right now other than CAS and building.

The main thing I love about this is that it is fun. A challenge amongst friends. You start adding too many rules, like when we have too few votes we do this, or we have too many votes we do that. We have too many stories with redheads (sorry redheads, I love you really... No truly, I do!), we have too few stories with ninjapig.

:p!

hi wings i loled you because your response was cute. see you don't always make me hungry.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    EDIT: Nevermind.

Now I really want to know what you wrote xD I do get your point though. I'm not as competetive but I understand that some people are and I do understand how you feel about low participation. I'm sure we can find a way of making it fun and competetive even in those months. If you saved up this particular story for another month or prompt it wouldn't fit 100% and wouldn't be as good I am sure so it's awesome that you wrote it now :)
  • BruNCC93BruNCC93 Posts: 209 Member
    So I actually found enough time to write! My classes started two weeks ago so I've been away from the game ever since, but I had this ridiculous idea in my head since I saw the prompt and I just had to do it. So, no photoshop or excessive beta reading 'cause I really don't have the time, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless!

Change of Plans
    [
  • JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Yay! Another story to read!
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Sadly it's looking like I won't have a story for this month :(

I have the idea in my head and it's half written but I just can't wrap my head around how to finish it.

I can't wait to read it, @BruNCC93 ! :) I love this prompt so much, so I'm sure you have another great one for us!!! :smiley:
    snvAF3B.png
  • sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    So I had a bit of a light-hearted idea for this. I haven't done any prompts in a long time, and it seemed fun! Is it too late to post it? Probably would be tomorrow (or rather, later today for most of you out there) before I could get some screenshots for it.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    sabreene wrote: »
    So I had a bit of a light-hearted idea for this. I haven't done any prompts in a long time, and it seemed fun! Is it too late to post it? Probably would be tomorrow (or rather, later today for most of you out there) before I could get some screenshots for it.

You've got time :) Deadline for entries are when it rolls over to Oct.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    I have a story to submit for the September challenge! @Carewren123

A Bad Idea by Rachel Rosebud

Great thread btw! I read the entries for August - they are all awesome!!
    Great story! It was so cute and fun.

Now we just need our front page updated. I think we've got three new entries. @Carewren123
    Ooh, I've really enjoyed these newest entries (and we finally have a couple that aren't so dark and dreary :lol:) Maybe we can at least break 10 in the next few days!
    snvAF3B.png
  • sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    @Carewren123 Here's a September challenge story

So I really loved this prompt, and stopped and started a couple of times, but I could never get the last plot to twist. While trying to think of a finish for those, this just came out. It's completely different than what I planned, but I had fun with it :tongue:

Mishandling Misinformation on Mondays

And now I can go read everyone else's, I didn't want to read them before I finished mine. I did read the ones for August, and they were all just so good! :star:
    Amazing story! I'm so excited about all these new stories coming in.
    I'm joining in, too! How exciting to have so many last-minute entries! :)

The Spice Merchant's Story

Wooh, we broke 10! I feel slightly better :lol: But I'm hoping we can get a few more before the 30th!

Also, still really loving all these entries! :) I think it's especially awesome that no two people (so far!) have had the same ending to the "It all started when I opened..." sentence, and then everyone has taken it in so many different directions -- how interesting that the same 6 words can lead so many different places!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Sorry for being absent everyone. I've been taking a break to get my head in the right place. I've been spending a lot of time with my mom and then this past weekend was super busy with a birthday party and wedding to attend.

I just got all caught up on the thread. It looks like we're doing good on number of submissions now, but for future reference what I'll probably do is only award 1st/ 1st & 2nd place(s) for months with few entries.

Now to update that front page... give me just a minute.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    okay I added new entries from @Jes2G @BruNCC93 @RachelRosebud @sabreene and @CathyTea Let me know if there's a problem with any of the links or if I missed anyone.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    Sorry for being absent everyone. I've been taking a break to get my head in the right place. I've been spending a lot of time with my mom and then this past weekend was super busy with a birthday party and wedding to attend.

I just got all caught up on the thread. It looks like we're doing good on number of submissions now, but for future reference what I'll probably do is only award 1st/ 1st & 2nd place(s) for months with few entries.

Now to update that front page... give me just a minute.

Hugs and love, Carewren! And if you want to see your digital self hanging out with those digital selves who love you, check out the Blogaversary! You're everywhere! :)