Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time Flies Challenge

PrincessRoyalePrincessRoyale Posts: 100 Member
Ever sat with your 10 generation legacy and realized that the world really hasn't changed much in 100 years of similization (see what I did there? :wink: ) Well this challenge is kind of my answer to that. The Time Flies challenge is basically me being the history nerd I am. It comes in two different flavours. One moves in decades and one moves through a greater expanse of time. Naturally the look and feel of different eras is greatly enhanced by CC but it's not necessary to play this! It's pretty standard legacy wise; make a single YA, pick a lot to live at forever, no cheats/hacks unless it's to fix game bugs. You can play a matriarchal/patriarchal family but it has to stay that way until specified in the challenge you're playing. So without further ado here are your rules:

VERSION 1: Decade by Decade
1910s: The Edwardian Era. This time was rife with political battles and struggles for the working class and women's rights. Will your sim be an advocate of change, or a critic?
Goals: Reach Level 10 in Politics
Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line | Women can work but only registered as self employed skill jobs or Education AND only if unwed | No electronic items allowed except for the cheapest camera | No kitchen appliances allowed except stove or fridge | Movies cannot be watched at the theatre | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted

1920s: The Gilded Age! Named so because there's much more going on under the surface than meets the eye. Alcohol is banned in SimNation, but flows underground in secret speakeasies. Your heir can't resist the temptation of running one such hooch-house.
Goals: Reach Level 10 in Crime | Max Mixology Skill
Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line | Women can work but only registered as self employed skill jobs or Education AND only if unwed | No electronic items allowed except for allowances below | No kitchen appliances allowed except stove or fridge
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | The radio and photo booth are invented! Now they can be used | Movies have become mainstream! You can watch them at the theatre now | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used

1930s: The Great Depression. Your heir can't find work anywhere and so must figure out a way to survive without having ANY job. With perseverance and help from loved ones I'm sure your sim can make it through this difficult time.
Goals: Survive without getting a job for any sim in your household (If they have a job they must quit)
Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line | No one can work! | No electronic items allowed except for allowances below | No kitchen appliances allowed except stove or fridge | Travel is prohibited because really who has money to visit France? | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used
Allowances: Same as 20s... if you can afford such luxuries.

1940s: World War II. It seems the Depression was the kindle that lit the fires of war. Your heir wants to aid their country the best they can.
Goals: What kind of unpatriotic son-of-a-gun wouldn't join the military?
Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line | No electronic items allowed except for allowances below | No kitchen appliances allowed except for allowances below | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | The microwave is invented! Now it can be used | Women can enter the workforce. Any job, single or married!

1950s: The Golden Era. War is gone, prosperity is rising and the baby's are booming! How will your family grow with the future looking so bright?
Goals: Become a Film Star or enter Law Enforcement and become a spy to catch commies ;) | Raise 5 kids
Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line | No electronic items allowed except for allowances below | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | All other kitchen appliances are invented! Now they can be used | Television is invented! Now it can be used but only the cheapest ones.

1960s: The Sixties. Gone are the old fashioned "traditional" views of the 50s and in are the new age hippie beliefs. Now any sim can be an heir regardless of society's matriarchal/patriarchal standing before. Your heir uses this new freedom of expression to go into art, or music. The possibilities are endless now.
Goals: Have a career as an artist or in Music
Restrictions: No electronic items allowed except for allowances below | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | Anyone can become an heir | Bubble blowing is allowed

1970s: The Age of Disco. Holy bell bottoms batman! The groovy sixties has turned into the funky 70s and everything has gotten bigger and better.
Goals: Whichever career wasn't chosen in the sixties is used now | Go out dancing once a week
Restrictions: No electronic items allowed except for allowances below | Can only use a telephone, cell phones are not allowed to be used
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | Arcade machines are invented! Now they can be used!

1980s: Business Time! It's time to get down to business! The eighties is all about going big or going home! Big business, big hair, big shoulderpads! Your sim is going to have it all and look good while doing it.
Goals: Reach Level 10 in Business | Max out Fitness Skill
Restrictions: No electronic items allowed except for allowances below
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | Home computer and cell phone are invented! Now they can be used!

1990s: Gen Y. Wow the end of a century! Technology is advancing even more rapidly and your heir wants to be at the forefront of change.
Goals: Reach level 10 in Science or Medicine
Restrictions: None
Allowances: Travel to other countries is permitted | Laptops and home video games are invented! Now they can be used!

2000s: Y2K! Your family's legacy has made it through a century of ups, downs, thrills and spills. The whole world is yours to discover. What will you do? Who will you be? It's all up to you!
Goals: Complete your heir's LTW
Restrictions: None
Allowances: Anything goes!

Let me know if anything was missed. I will post the second version that covers a longer span of time soon, but let me know if anyone wants to try this. I would love to see all of your stories!
Post edited by PrincessRoyale on

Comments

• PrincessRoyalePrincessRoyale Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2016
    VERSION 2: Eras of Time

Same rules apply for the beginning of the challenge. Make a single YA, move them on whatever lot you want to stay on. Choose a patriarchal/matriarchal line and stay with it. (If matriarchal just reverse the job restrictions from women to men)

Tribal: Survival is the name of the game. There is safety in numbers so you have decided to move around with a group of other sims and found an area that could be worth settling into. Perhaps here you will plant the seeds of a great legacy...
    Goals: Survival! | Raise 5 kids
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no service sims | no electronics | toilets and baths are allowed but must be in an outhouse outside, no showers | no stove or fridge | You must grow or catch your own food supply | no books allowed | No lighting, when it gets dark, it's dark | *For an extra challenge you may only have tents | No travel allowed you would never make it on your own | No careers/professions allowed
    Unlocks: Sculpting is the only "art" available | There's no reason to try and inhibit what women do, life is hard enough | The concept of "marriage" is still kinda new. You don't necessarily need to be married to have heirs

Classic: A time of togas and statues with missing limbs, of higher learning and discovery of the world around you. You are ready to join the forum and speak with all the other educated men to find higher knowledge. How lucky can one sim be to live in such a civilized time?
    Goals: You can join either Education or Politics, and you must raise at least 5 kids
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no service sims | no electronics | toilets and baths are allowed but must be in an outhouse outside, no showers | no stove or fridge | women cannot be employed | Women can only move out once married | You must grow or catch your own food supply | no books allowed
    Unlocks: Telescopes are allowed | WA travel is allowed

Medieval: Remember all that peace and prosperity? Yeah, that's not the case now. The world can be summed up by three words. Plague, pillagers, and poverty, oh my! It is indeed a dark age and life has become more gruelling than ever. It's a good thing the church of the Watcher has your afterlife taken care of for you
    Goals: Become a knight to protect your township (law enforcement) | raise 5 kids
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no service sims | no electronics | toilets and baths are allowed but must be in an outhouse outside, no showers | no stove or fridge | women cannot be employed | Women can only move out once married | You must grow or catch your own food supply | Travel is not permitted (bandits would kill you!) | Children must be born to married sims or else are ineligible as heirs | A 100 simolean tithe to the Church of the Watcher must be paid when the bills come | On each of a sims birthday you must roll a die to see if they survive the plague, odds they die, evens they live. All sims in your household, no exception
    Unlocks: Telescopes are allowed | Books are allowed

Renaissance/Enlightenment: Thank goodness it seems that everyone's heads are back on straight. A new age of knowledge, enlightenment, and art has swept across the world and advances are made in every part of life. Sure there's still a long way to go, but we are getting there.
    Goals: Get employed in one of the arts (writing, sculpting, painting, inventing, etc) and raise 4 kids
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no service sims | no electronics | toilets and baths are allowed but must be in an outhouse outside, no showers | no stove or fridge | women cannot be employed | Women can only move out once married | You must grow or catch your own food supply | Children must be born to married sims or else are ineligible as heirs | A 100 simolean tithe to the Church of the Watcher must be paid when the bills come
    Unlocks: Trade routes have opened allowing world travel again | The inventing and chemistry table can be used

Victorian: At an almost dizzying pace the world is evolving. Electricity, skyscrapers, and fancy new gadgets seem to be popping up everywhere. It's a good thing that such a strict moral code is upheld, or society would simply go mad with all of this change!
    Goals: History is changing and you are the one to make sure everyone knows about it! You take pride in your work as a journalist | Raise 3 kids
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no electronics except specified | women can be employed in self registered careers or Education, only unwed | Women can only move out once married | Children must be born to married sims or else are ineligible as heirs | A 100 simolean tithe to the Church of the Watcher must be paid when the bills come
    Unlocks: Travel is still allowed | Service sims are allowed | electric lights, cameras, and the radio are invented! | the stove and fridge can be used! | toilets and baths can be moved indoors, and the shower is invented! | the bicycle has been invented!

10s-20s: A time of rising prosperity, of thrills, chills, and spills. Life is one big party and the world is invited. It doesn't matter how you get there. There couldn't possibly be anything terrible lurking under the surface waiting to come out. Could there?
    Goals: Enter the criminal profession; you want money, and you want it now | raise 3 kids
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no electronics except specified | women can be employed in self registered careers or Education, only unwed | Women can only move out once married | Children must be born to married sims or else are ineligible as heirs
    Unlocks: The car, washing machine has been invented | The telephone has been invented | You can go to the movies now

30s-40s: Tough times are here again. Between a Depression and a war things look would look kind of bleak, but there's something about the sim spirit that is meant to endure. And endure you shall!
    Goals: The heir can enter the military profession but no other sims can have any jobs
    Restrictions: Heir must be either male or female as defined by the matriarchal/patriarchal line| no electronics except specified | Women can only move out once married | Children must be born to married sims or else are ineligible as heirs | You must grow or catch your own food supply | Travel is not expected, either too poor or too dangerous | All male sims that age up to YA must be sent to war. Odds they survive, evens they live however one of the traits they grow up with must be either Brooding, neurotic, grumpy, inappropriate, hot headed, insane, or no humour
    Unlocks: The microwave is invented!

50s-60s: The war is over and everything is coming up shiny and groovy! Many social changes are occuring and there seems to be a new movement popping up every day!
    Goals: You're going to change the world through music! Either as a rockstar or with your band | OR you can shoot for the moon (literally) and become an astronaut | Raise 5 kids you boomer you ;)
    Restrictions: Only the telephone can be used no cell phones
    Unlocks: Travel is allowed | Any sim can become heir, male or female | Women can work anywhere and at any time| Women need not be married before moving out | All kitchen appliances can be used! | The television is invented but only the cheapest ones | Bubble blowing is permitted

70s-80s: What could be more glamorous then letting your hair down for a night of some funky dancing and shaking you're groove thing? How about pop and locking with your b-boys? But all that fun comes at a price. Working hard and playing hard is your motto.
    Goals: Max out the Business career | Go clubbing once a week | Max fitness
    Restrictions: No electronics except specified
    Unlocks: The home computer, cellphone, and arcade machines have been invented! | Street art is available | Travel is permitted

90s-Now: Wow, simanity sure has come a long way. The world of technology is experiencing new and dizzying heights. What will you be able to discover to benefit your fellow sim?
    Goals: Reach level 10 in Science or Medicine
    Restrictions: None!
    Unlocks: Everything!

Thank you all so much for being so patient. This one covers a lot more time so I may still be tweaking it to have a good balance of unlocked allowances/restrictions and I'm sure I left out some vital inventions to be used or not but I guess the only way to know is to play it and find out lol XD
    Post edited by PrincessRoyale on
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    This sounds like an interesting challenge, something I'm definitely going to have to try here soon. :3
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • LocoTimberlakeLocoTimberlake Posts: 9 New Member
    i was wondering....

I have alot of the DLC worlds (Roaring Heights, Dragon Valley, Barnacle Bay, ECT) and is it possible to move as the times change? i really want to do this challenge, especially for the 20's 30's and 40's(Coolest 60 years EVER in my eyes) and to be quite honest, everyone doesnt live on the same lot for 100 years, so i was hoping it would be ok?
  • LocoTimberlakeLocoTimberlake Posts: 9 New Member
    wait hang on bad math, coolest 30 years ever
    i was wondering....

I have alot of the DLC worlds (Roaring Heights, Dragon Valley, Barnacle Bay, ECT) and is it possible to move as the times change? i really want to do this challenge, especially for the 20's 30's and 40's(Coolest 60 years EVER in my eyes) and to be quite honest, everyone doesnt live on the same lot for 100 years, so i was hoping it would be ok?
    Hm... I'm kind of wondering that too now...
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    i was wondering....

Hm... I'm kind of wondering that too now...

Yes, it's totally fine to move worlds. This challenge is all about change :smiley:
  • MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    edited August 2015
    *starts planning how to adapt this for ts4*

Edit: Forgot to say: This looks awesome! I love the goals for each gen. Now if only I could stop falling in love with Gen 1, my legacies would be in good shape! ;)
    My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny
    You can totally adapt this for Sims 4. I don't own the game so I'm not really sure how myself :s I'd love to see it!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got something similar to this in my Deery Meadows legacy which is currently taking place in the year of 1620 and I won't be adding a school rabbit hole to the town until about the 19th century which would be at least 200 years in the future.I'll be playing the entire town as it grows and there can be depressions where the sims can be in the unemployed career or working part-time if they're lucky and rental housing will be more common in those times.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    So, I know it's been a while, but when is that version two coming up?
    I just noticed something with version one -- each generation is ten years apart. In other words, they're all having children at 10 years old... I don't know about everybody else, but I'm gonna have mine slightly different -- every human year = about 2 sim years.
    I just noticed something with version one -- each generation is ten years apart. In other words, they're all having children at 10 years old... I don't know about everybody else, but I'm gonna have mine slightly different -- every human year = about 2 sim years.

That would be weird! 10 years apart is just what I picked because that's the amount of time where you can see noticeable changes in society. I'm almost 10 years apart from my siblings and there's a big difference there. It doesn't necessarily mean that's when the next "generation" starts in real life if that makes sense? We can just chalk it up to sim time is weird and not the same as ours. XD
    @PrincessRoyale Lol, agreed. :3
    The hardest part of this challenge is making sure everything matches the time scheme... All the CC involved to make the sims look right, all the NRAAS castes to make sure women don't get jobs in the early 1900's... This is definitely a challenge... XD
    The hardest part of this challenge is making sure everything matches the time scheme... All the CC involved to make the sims look right, all the NRAAS castes to make sure women don't get jobs in the early 1900's... This is definitely a challenge... XD

Lol. I suppose if you want it to be that extensive it would be. As long as your household follows the rules however that lessens the mod usage quite a bit.

Lol. I suppose if you want it to be that extensive it would be. As long as your household follows the rules however that lessens the mod usage quite a bit.

Hehe, I'll make sure my household follows the rules. The only thing modified is the cheats, as I'd use cheats for story purposes... Like pose player, then move objects to move a sim... Or to reduce funds... Or to populate the town (NRass Story progression). :3 Nothing to help me in the challenge.
    @SilentWolf101 Great! When you start let me know! I'm building up my Victorian starter house today to start the challenge :D
    edited March 2016
    @PrincessRoyale XD I've actually already started. I thought I'd left a link here, but after scrolling through, I guess I didn't. XD It's called Askew With Montesque, located here on my legacy site. :)

EDIT: OH! Also, I forgot to mention, I'd be using one other cheat -- a pregnancy progress controller. "If after three kids I haven’t got the gender I want, I will either use the eating 10+ apples/watermelons cheat, or I’m using the Pregnancy Progress Controller to change the gender." AKA, if after three kids I only get girls, and I need a boy to continue the legacy, then I'm going to force the next baby to be a boy...
    @SilentWolf101 That sounds fine as far as making sure you get the heir, I wouldn't want the challenge to end so soon! And thanks for the link. I will be uploading version 2 later today. I need to find my notes I did on it. I can't believe I forgot to post it!
    @PrincessRoyale Agreed! Also, sounds awesome! I'll probably still stick with version 1... But excited to see what version two will be! ^-^