Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Messed up computer screen

Yesterday I was playing the sims 3 on my macbook air running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 when it crashed and shut down the game. Now there are two black bars on the side of my screen all the time, like the computer thinks the screen is square. Nothing is cut off, like the whole screen is shown but it is just squashed to fit a smaller screen. I have tried shutting the computer down and force quitting everything but nothing has worked and i don't know what to do. Please help someone! :'( I also have Seasons, University life, and Pets if that makes any difference and i don't use any mods or custom content.

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Do you mean your desktop screen or just the game screen? If the desktop then open System Preferences > Displays and make sure Default for display is selected.

If the game try different settings in the in-game graphics options.
    apple-signature.png
  • missmik4794missmik4794 Posts: 1 New Member
    Happened to me too!!!! I'm so baffled and I can't fix it and I'm freaking out
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Happened to me too!!!! I'm so baffled and I can't fix it and I'm freaking out
    Have you tried the course of action that Bluebellflora described above? Does windowed vs. full-screen make any difference?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Youare4Youare4 Posts: 8 New Member
    Huh, it did the same the same thing when i opened it for the first time. I just thought it was normal.
  • ShortLilUglyShortLilUgly Posts: 1 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > missmik4794 wrote: »
    >
    > Happened to me too!!!! I'm so baffled and I can't fix it and I'm freaking out
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you tried the course of action that Bluebellflora described above? Does windowed vs. full-screen make any difference?

This happened to me, too, but I have windows. I've already tried changing windowed and full-screen, but it doesn't make a difference. My screen used to go to the original size after exiting the game, but one time I accidentally left the game on when I closed it and when I exited, the two black bars on my screen stayed. Nothing is cut off, the desktop is just smaller. I tried restarting my computer and it still didn't work. I went into display settings and couldn't find anything to fix it. I'm kind of freaking out right now.
    @ShortLilUgly - Go into your TS3 user game folder in Documents and pull the file called Options.ini (it may be showing as just Options if you have extensions hidden, but it's the same file) to your Desktop. That will force a reset of all game options, so when you relaunch the game you will want to set things back the way you want them. But does that force the game into a proper resolution for you?

You can always put the original Options,ini back in if for some reason this makes things worse.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • stars3skeletonsstars3skeletons Posts: 1 New Member
    Just had this problem today, after about 5 months of playing the sims. I tried all of the above methods, but none worked. I freaking hate it >.<
    edited November 2019
    Just had this problem today, after about 5 months of playing the sims. I tried all of the above methods, but none worked. I freaking hate it >.<
    To repeat the questions that were being asked of others so we can get the right solution here, is it the game screen that is all wrong or your desktop when you are not playing the game? And Mac or PC?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • MartMart Posts: 2 New Member
    Omg, did anybody find a solution? Because I'm having this exact problem right now! What should I do? I would really appreciate some help, I am freaking out :(
  • MartMart Posts: 2 New Member
    Okay I figured it out, I am legit an idiot. Just had to press Default for display, as mentioned before in this thread. But anyway, it's still very strange that the game does it?
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top