Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dust to Dust: A tale of life, death, and love [COMPLETE 11/24/15]

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Marialein wrote: »
    Congrats to you @CitizenErased14 and Dust to Dust :)

Thanks for making this story and the challenge. I really enjoy writing it.

zMe2syh.jpg

@Marialein :heart::heart::heart::love::love::love:

You made my day yet again! That is beauitiful. Thank you :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
    @Marialein do you mind if I make your pic of Lucas and Ev my avatar for the rest of November? :) In honor of D2D ;)
    snvAF3B.png
  • MarialeinMarialein Posts: 2,885 Member
    @Marialein do you mind if I make your pic of Lucas and Ev my avatar for the rest of November? :) In honor of D2D ;)

Sure that would be really cool. And thanks <3 I love to draw for others :)
    Hello again guys :)

Since Book Club is taking a break next week, I will be (rather selfishly :lol:) hosting my own "Book Club" of sorts here in my Dust to Dust thread in honor of the anniversary of when I completed D2D :blush:

Unfortunately there will not be a "coffee hour", as I don't feel comfortable asking questions about my own story. But any comments or thoughts you'd like to share here would be so welcome! I'd love it if we could get some kind of discussion going in here, but if that doesn't happen, that's ok too :)

The anniversary is not until the 24th, but I wanted to post another reminder here about my "read-a-thon" so that anyone who wants to re-read all or part of D2D before sharing their thoughts can have plenty of time to do so :) I will also post another reminder or two later this week.

Thanks guys!
    snvAF3B.png
    edited November 2016
    Hey guys!

Today kicks-off D2D's anniversary week!

I never thought that a year later I would still be so affected by this story and the characters, and here I am! :lol: I still love these characters and their journey and am so grateful for the time I spent writing!

Throughout the week, I am going to post some memories or favorite moments/chapters/etc. I hope some of you will do the same!

I am going to start off by sharing one of my favorite early chapters -- Chapter Fifteen, when Lucas goes with his friends to Granite Falls.

This chapter meant a lot to me for several reasons. It was the first time I really put a lot of effort into my screenshots (it probably doesn't look it, compared to the screenshots in my legacy! :lol: I've come so far!). Posing/positioning my sims (without pose player! Haha) and using debug objects to set the scene at the camp ground were firsts for me :)

It was also the first time I've ever publicly had characters swear in my writing :lol: (again, laughable if you look at my legacy :joy:) But at the time, I was really pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and it was a growing experience for me as a writer :)

And lastly, this felt like a real turning point for the story. Lucas was branching out -- he had friends and interacted with other characters and went places besides his house :joy: And it also brought us to Granite Falls where Lucas would meet the mysterious Hermit and begin his (and Evelyn's!) journey toward bringing Evelyn back to life :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Having just finished D2D again last week (I'm the Emerald City Taurus/Hailey that's been commenting for over a year, in case you've forgotten :) ), it's all fresh in my mind. I love the hermit! Her mystique is what is so appealing, and I love that you never really explain her--it's all left to the reader's imagination. She's such a complex character because you never really know what her role is in the afterlife. Is she a spirit? A guardian angel? Some other kind of immortal being?

Also, Lucas drunk texting his parents is one of the highlights of Chapter 15. :lol::lol::lol: I remember you saying you button mashed your own phone to get results. Ha! So funny!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Having just finished D2D again last week (I'm the Emerald City Taurus/Hailey that's been commenting for over a year, in case you've forgotten :) ), it's all fresh in my mind. I love the hermit! Her mystique is what is so appealing, and I love that you never really explain her--it's all left to the reader's imagination. She's such a complex character because you never really know what her role is in the afterlife. Is she a spirit? A guardian angel? Some other kind of immortal being?

Also, Lucas drunk texting his parents is one of the highlights of Chapter 15. :lol::lol::lol: I remember you saying you button mashed your own phone to get results. Ha! So funny!

Thanks so much @Haids5987 ! :blush: I love that you love the mystery of the hermit :) I like letting readers fill in the gaps when it comes to her and her role. :blush: All we really know is that she seems to have some of Grimmy's mind-reading abilities and that she knows him by an ancient name. So there is definitely something mystical about her... The rest is up to you! :)

And I'm glad you remember the drunk texting story! :joy: Yup, I turned off autocorrect and button mashed to get those results :tongue:

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing some thoughts, Hailey! :smiley:

I'll be back a little later with another thought/memory about D2D to share :)
    snvAF3B.png
    Dust to Dust was such a well-written story straight from the heart, and it sends such a great message. Carpe the PLUM out of that diem! :heart:
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    One of my favorite moments was when Lucas meets Evelyn again after for many years thinking she has moved on. I have cried a lot of happy tears while reading that chapter <3 I don't know what exactly it is but your stories (d2d and a2a) always make me really emotional and care about the characters.

So since you are not asking any "coffee hour" questions I'll start with a few :D

1. #TeamEv or #TeamMel and why?

2. Do you think Lucas should have tried to bring Mel back instead of Ev?

Personally I think it was the right thing to bring Ev back. While Mel's death was also extremely unfair and premature, Ev has been waiting her whole life for it and she took a long road to finding herself and what's really important. Mel had a long and fullfilled life and while her death is sad, I think Ev deserved a chance too!

One other thing I really liked in this story was the generational shift. Of course Lucas was always the main character but his children and grandchildren entered the scene and also become a vital part of the story. I loved it! It pictured really well how much time actually passed while Lucas was looking for a cure.
    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and questions @Julyvee94 :blush: The Lucas and Ev reunion chapter was always one of my favorites :heart: It was so important and so emotional!

I'm also glad you liked the way time passed/generations changed :) It can be really challenging to show time passing in the Sims, so I really wanted to make sure everyone got the sense that time was passing and life was moving forward (while poor Evelyn was stuck!)

Today is the actual anniversary of finishing D2D. It feels a bit surreal!

I ended up being kind of busy this week but this weekend I will definitely be back to share a few thoughts/memories that I'd wanted to mention. :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    One of my favorite moments was when Lucas meets Evelyn again after for many years thinking she has moved on. I have cried a lot of happy tears while reading that chapter <3 I don't know what exactly it is but your stories (d2d and a2a) always make me really emotional and care about the characters.

So since you are not asking any "coffee hour" questions I'll start with a few :D

1) Obviously Team Mel. She was there when Lucas needed something real to hold on to. Not that Ev was not real but she tangible (if that makes sense)

2) As much as I love Mel I would say no, there would be no point. Both Lucas and Mel were older at the time of her death. And I think Mel would have been a bit upset with him if he did.
    OJenn wrote: »
    Julyvee94 wrote: »

1) Obviously Team Mel. She was there when Lucas needed something real to hold on to. Not that Ev was not real but she tangible (if that makes sense)

2) As much as I love Mel I would say no, there would be no point. Both Lucas and Mel were older at the time of her death. And I think Mel would have been a bit upset with him if he did.

Hehehe @OJenn these answers do not come as a surprise ;)

I think you're right about how Mel would have felt if Lucas brought her back. She lived a long and full life -- something Evelyn never got. She would want Ev to get that chance! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, @CitizenErased14 ! Happy Compleataversary! I've got questions for the writer....

1) What parts of D2D have stayed with you this past year, as a writer and a person? How did writing D2D help you grow? What lessons did it bring you?

2) I remember some of the concerns you shared once D2D was finished, and how you worried a bit about carrying on the success you achieved in D2D into a new story--and now a year later, it seems like the poplularity of A2A has even surpassed that of D2D! How has it been for you to complete one successful story and move into another one?

3) What specific skills did you bring with you from D2D into A2A?

4) I know we talked about this before, but how awesome that D2D and the Ambrosia Challenge have inspired so many other quality stories. Did you have any idea that from D2D would come an entire genre of SimLit?

5) What's up for you and your writing in this coming year?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    1. I'm Team Mel because the point of Dust to Dust was, somewhat, about how futile it is to spend life pining for an exact kind of "fairytale" ending.

Like, Lucas and Evelyn start as thinking that they can be lifelong lovers. But his life is better for meeting Mel. And Evelyn's life is better for letting go and finding mystery husband and having a new family with the surviving Ainsworths. And while they are reunited in the end after Evelyn's fulfilling life, it's after that.

2. Definitely made the right move with not resurrecting Mel. It was a half-baked idea formed out of Evelyn's half-developed selflessness, and I'm glad Mel shut her down about it.

Turning Points: I was about to cite the first wordless interlude with Evelyn, but for me, it was actually the second one for Mel. I think the use of screenshots-as-storytelling got better after that chapter, but it was also one of our first real forays outside of the world of Lucas and Evelyn and what he wanted to do for Evelyn. And that element of the story is important, because of that theme of the importance of a fulfilling life I mentioned earlier. There's more to life than fantastic goals. There's stuff like a good human wife. :smiley:
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Aw, thank you for these questions @CathyTea :blush: That was sweet of you to ask them :) I'll do my best to answer.

1) What parts of D2D have stayed with you this past year, as a writer and a person? How did writing D2D help you grow? What lessons did it bring you?
    Well, creatively, I've learned a lot about writing and screenshotting by doing D2D that has definitely stuck with me :) I grew a lot as a SimLit writer through my experience writing it, and its definitely stuck with me! I think I learned a lot about setting up effective screenshots, putting together wordless chapters (haha), and developing a strong narrative/story arc. :blush:

And I guess on a personal level, telling Lucas and Evelyn's story kinda made me do a lot of thought/reflection about platonic love, and how it can be just as powerful as romantic love. And I guess in general how important it is to not take life for granted. I feel like those were some lessons for the readers, but they were lessons for me too!

2) I remember some of the concerns you shared once D2D was finished, and how you worried a bit about carrying on the success you achieved in D2D into a new story--and now a year later, it seems like the poplularity of A2A has even surpassed that of D2D! How has it been for you to complete one successful story and move into another one?
    Hahaha to be completely honest, I was (and still am) floored by how popular A2A has become. I guess at first I felt pressure/nerves that no one would continue on and read my legacy once D2D was over. And now a year later, I actually have many (dare I say, a majority?) of A2A readers who have never read D2D! (The D2D thread is safe to say this in, right? :tongue: It kinda makes me sad that so many of my A2A readers never read D2D :( I hope they go back and give it a try one day!).

I guess I remain baffled by why my stories became so popular, and I also feel a certain level of pressure. Like I have a reputation to live up to or something :lol:

3) What specific skills did you bring with you from D2D into A2A?
    I think from a story-standpoint, it's writing flawed characters (some may even say TOO flawed :joy:) and developing cohesive story-arcs :) Those were things I worked on while writing D2D, and continue to do now with my legacy :)

4) I know we talked about this before, but how awesome that D2D and the Ambrosia Challenge have inspired so many other quality stories. Did you have any idea that from D2D would come an entire genre of SimLit?
    Hahaha never in my wildest dreams :lol: I never expected many (or any, really) written stories to come from the Ambrosia Challenge. I just made it because, in writing D2D, I did actually play Lucas and have him develop all of his skills/collect all the ingredients/make the ambrosia without using cheats. There was a real feeling of excitement and accomplishment as he completed each step of creating the ambrosia, and I thought it might be fun to create a challenge from it so others could experience that same feeling when they lpayed (while adding in extra rules that I did NOT follow in D2D :lol: To make it more of a challenge :) )

I'm so excited by the wonderful stories that have come about from the Ambrosia Challenge and look forward to reading more in the future :blush:

5) What's up for you and your writing in this coming year?
    Lots more A2A! :lol: My Gen 5 heir is set to become a teen sometime in December and then we will continue moving forward following Lucas' descendants with all their drama and hardships (and some joy too :tongue:)
    snvAF3B.png
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Turning Points: I was about to cite the first wordless interlude with Evelyn, but for me, it was actually the second one for Mel. I think the use of screenshots-as-storytelling got better after that chapter, but it was also one of our first real forays outside of the world of Lucas and Evelyn and what he wanted to do for Evelyn. And that element of the story is important, because of that theme of the importance of a fulfilling life I mentioned earlier. There's more to life than fantastic goals. There's stuff like a good human wife. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @InfraGreen ! :blush: I love what you said about 'turning points', and seeing the world outside Lucas and Ev.

You are very right that one of the themes is about living a fulfilling life. :) It's not always about fame or fortune or anything fancy like that. It's about living a life full of love and happiness (no matter what it is that brings it to you). Lucas was lucky enough to have that with Mel, and worked hard for his entire life to make sure Evelyn got that same chance. :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I would agree with @InfraGreen's first point - the best part of D2D was that while at it's heart it was a boy meets girl start - after that it went in new directions and showed us how life changes who you are and what you think you want. Had you asked teenage Lucas if he'd be happy marrying anyone who wasn't Mel he would have found that inconceivable, but the Lucas at the end had been happy. He never gave up his quest - not fully - and he never gave up his life either. I loved watching him grow from a love-struck boy to a successful man. Sure he goofed and floundered, we all do in life. But he was great, had a big heart, and achieved his life goal and then some. The scenes from the last chapter are amazing I love that even if they didn't get to met face to face in his life. They did get to meet.

The interesting thing about the Ambrosia story is that while it is ultimately a quest story, how that quest starts and ends has a million different possibilities. Even though I'm pretty happy with my take on the story and what I'm telling with it, I can already see a dozen more ways to twist it. And have read ideas I never thought of. D2D is ultimately a love and life story, as are all Ambrosia stories. The challenge is set up so you have to live a full life as well as achieve the quest. Sure the end goal of all the stories is the same, but as we learned from Odysseus - it's the path to the end that matters.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @CitizenErased14 I love your answers! Thanks for sharing them! I'm inspired! <3:smiley:
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Well that was definitely a bust :joy:

But a sincere thank you to @Haids5987 @Julyvee94 @OJenn @CathyTea @InfraGreen and @ra3rei for stopping by this week. :heart: I appreciated it very much :)
    snvAF3B.png
    You know I love this family! I love them so much so that I am still here and reading A2A to keep up with them.
    You are awesome, Citizen! I am so addicted to these stories. Can't get enough! :)
    edited January 2017
    More than a year later... We finally got toddlers :heart:

Lucas, Mel, and Krystina are very happy :heart::bawling:

M0nKM43.png?1
    54OQuBM.png?1
    5fWDFv5.png?1
    snvAF3B.png
    That family...my heart ♥
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    edited March 2017
    I decided to read this story last night, I read the first 10 chapters and stopped. I was hooked!!! This morning I woke up early (because all I could think of was this story!) I got my tea and began to read, three cups of tea down. Then I drank lots and I mean lots of water as the day progressed and read and read and read (I did take breaks when needed). I have laughed, I have cried, I have been so filled with emotion I can't even describe it! It has been one of my most wonderful days in a long time! This story is wonderful and magical and I thank you @CitizenErased14 for it! Now after some much needed rest I hopefully will get started on Ashes To Ashes tomorrow! Thank you again!!! Oh my gosh my face is so puffy, I wonder why?!?! :):D:(:/:o:s:p:|:#o:)o:):'(:'(:'(:'(:):):):)
    haswh wrote: »
    I decided to read this story last night, I read the first 10 chapters and stopped. I was hooked!!! This morning I woke up early (because all I could think of was this story!) I got my tea and began to read, three cups of tea down. Then I drank lots and I mean lots of water as the day progressed and read and read and read (I did take breaks when needed). I have laughed, I have cried, I have been so filled with emotion I can't even describe it! It has been one of my most wonderful days in a long time! This story is wonderful and magical and I thank you @CitizenErased14 for it! Now after some much needed rest I hopefully will get started on Ashes To Ashes tomorrow! Thank you again!!! Oh my gosh my face is so puffy, I wonder why?!?! :):D:(:/:o:s:p:|:#o:)o:):'(:'(:'(:'(:):):):)

Oh my goodness @haswh this comment has made my day! :heart: I am so excited and happy that you took the time to read my story and go on Lucas and Evelyn's journey :heart: Even after all this time, this story is truly my "baby". I love it so much and love the characters so much too! It always means so much when I learn that others have enjoyed it and been so moved by it. So thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave this lovely comment. It's much appreciated! :heart:

I hope you enjoy Ashes to Ashes as well! :) It's very much a soap-opera haha and it's quite long so far, so take your time! Thank you again :heart:
    snvAF3B.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top