Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    rialrees wrote: »
    wow, I never knew there were quite so many stories out there - I'd seen a few in passing but never really took the time to read through them - would love to join in the reading on this club :)

Welcome @rialrees exciting to have you join us!

Yes! Join in. You too can feel the despair of too many stories and not enough time - oh, wait! That's why we have this club to help. It's a fun selection this week, at least judging from the comments.

I'm looking forwad to the stories that aren't on wordpress as well since I'm not good on keeping track of them if they're not on my reader.

Mines are on the forum, I got bored with wordpress! :3 x
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Oh, and @swcheppes and @ra3rei, thanks for your kind words! I didn't overlook them. I was ummm...trying to put on clothes LOL. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. There were times when I was writing when I felt like I may have been getting off track, but one of you said you thought it was focused! Imagine that! When it comes back, I'll remember this!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    Oh, and @swcheppes and @ra3rei, thanks for your kind words! I didn't overlook them. I was ummm...trying to put on clothes LOL. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. There were times when I was writing when I felt like I may have been getting off track, but one of you said you thought it was focused! Imagine that! When it comes back, I'll remember this!

Focused! That's what I thought. Focused on the family and the story. Even if it "goes off track" eg not following River's dilemma it follows the family's heart. And everything seems to come back around and tie itself up. I really enjoyed it. An (as in all your stories) how your screenshots match the dialog so well making each one just perfect for that moment.

(Also glad you're dressed now. :p )
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    I agree with @ThePlumbob! Legacies of the Sims is one of the most creative stories ever! I love the length of the chapters too. They're like little tiny clusters of dynamite...they just explode right on your head lol.

@Jes2G Hahhhahaaa!! I love it! :) Thank you! :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Can I just say, how in love I am with this world-building of Ironbound? It's not like some novels I've read where they introduce you to every little detail within the first couple of chapters, it's like you are introduced slowly, and you are immersed into this world without realising it. I hope to write like this when I get around to doing my novel this summer!
    I am so in love with Ironbound @Munterbacon!

I know! It's like text-book for every writer! This is how to build a world through immersion! And I love my reading experience. I am going soooo slowly with this. I only read a chapter--or even half a chapter--per sitting because I want to slow down and live in the world for a while before I move onto the next one.

You know, serials during the 19th Century were read this way... very slowly, so that they'd last until the next volume was published 18 months later or so!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Whoa...this isn't weird at all! No...I just feel like I showed up to a party in my birthday suit LOL. Not only was I unaware, but one of my stories is on the list AND you guys are talking about it?! Awkwaaaaaard lol. :blush:

Seriously...what an honor! I'm so glad people are reading it and enjoying it when it's not even in production right now! I CANNOT wait to get back to writing this! The excitement around this right now is tugging at my heart strings. All the more reasons to finish the legacy quickly, right?

I see I have some reading to do!

Jes, first of all, I'm so sorry for causing feelings of awkwardness! It never even occurred to me that the writers would feel that way. I thought it would feel like a treat.

So, how does this sound for etiquette? I will check with those whose work has been suggested by sending them a PM, and then if they object or have reservations, we can remove them from the list. If we don't hear from them, I think we can leave their work on the list--because putting your work out there sort of gives people permission to read it and talk about it!

But it is a courtesy to let writers know we'll be doing so, so thank you so much for bringing this up, Jes.

And... on a personal note... please don't finish your legacy quickly! I want it to last forever! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    rialrees wrote: »
    wow, I never knew there were quite so many stories out there - I'd seen a few in passing but never really took the time to read through them - would love to join in the reading on this club :)

Oh, yay, and welcome! It's amazing how many stories are out there--and what is currently blowing me away is the extent and depth of the talent. Truly humbling, inspiring, and joyous!

CathyTea wrote: »
    Whoa...this isn't weird at all! No...I just feel like I showed up to a party in my birthday suit LOL. Not only was I unaware, but one of my stories is on the list AND you guys are talking about it?! Awkwaaaaaard lol. :blush:

Seriously...what an honor! I'm so glad people are reading it and enjoying it when it's not even in production right now! I CANNOT wait to get back to writing this! The excitement around this right now is tugging at my heart strings. All the more reasons to finish the legacy quickly, right?

I see I have some reading to do!

Jes, first of all, I'm so sorry for causing feelings of awkwardness! It never even occurred to me that the writers would feel that way. I thought it would feel like a treat.

So, how does this sound for etiquette? I will check with those whose work has been suggested by sending them a PM, and then if they object or have reservations, we can remove them from the list. If we don't hear from them, I think we can leave their work on the list--because putting your work out there sort of gives people permission to read it and talk about it!

But it is a courtesy to let writers know we'll be doing so, so thank you so much for bringing this up, Jes.

And... on a personal note... please don't finish your legacy quickly! I want it to last forever! :)

Oh no no, please don't take what I said the wrong way! I'm just weird lol. It WAS a treat to walk in on this party lol. I guess I'm still not totally used to people raving over what I do. I probably never will get over it lol. I think that's a good thing. But...it's your thread...do what you think is right. I don't think you would need to get permission from an author to discuss how much you love their work. It doesn't work that way in real life book clubs...not that I know anything about real life book clubs LOL. Carry on!

OH...and...the legacy cannot and will not last forever! I say that in both sadness and joy at the same time lol. Oy...I feel a dissertation coming on. To the lounge! LOL
    forum_final.png

I still want your legacy to last forever...

But I think it's a good idea to give writers a heads-up. That way, if anyone feel super self-conscious, I can talk with them about it, and if they have definite objections, we can remove their work from the list. It's considerate and respectful to give them a heads-up.

Cool.
    forum_final.png

• sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I am caught up on @Rorygilmore34 Legacy of The Sims. I love it so far and cant wait to see what happens next. @CathyTea , I dont know how you manage to restrain yourself reading slowly. Uhhg...I cant do it :) I am now at chapter 40 something on Ironbound @Munterbacon . I love Science Fiction and the world you have created for you story. It is so much fun reading it. I am still working on my own story and someday I will have chapter one up. At least I now also have an idea for chapter two, so that's good. This is all so fun and I love it! Yep, love it, cus you can never have too much "love" right?
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    I just finished re-reading @Rorygilmore34 story and I can't say enough how much I love that story. Like @Jes2G said, the short length really works for it because they are quick and easy to read but always pack so much punch in the content, and through it all it does that without feeling like the pacing is too quick (I'm still not sure how she manages that balance but it's amazing).
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    Caught up on Ironbound now too! What's next....
    @AuroraLockwood You are so awesome. :) Thank you for reading! The pacing has been fun. :) People will be fist pumping with excitement when the final chapter of Season 1 posts. :)
    @sooozeeebeee I'm so excited that you read Grace's story. :) Thank you for reading! :)
    @Munterbacon I spent a very enjoyable half-hour this morning with coffee and Ironbound. I just got through the party chapters. Wow!

When I finished reading, something has shifted in my brain chemistry! It sounds silly to say, perhaps, but I noticed it: I felt so happy and so inspired and so on fire with life! I am guessing that it was due to the engagement with the story and the pure of joy of reading.

I used to feel like this as a kid when I'd read an incredible book--I'd step away from reading with such a zest for life!

And that's how I felt this morning after reading Ironbound. Thank you, Munter, for writing that and sharing it with us.

I'm also (very) in awe of all the talent here in this corner of the forums. So many talented writers. Everybody's so kind, too, that it feels amazing to be part of this community.

@bookclubparticipants - So! We've talked some about the setting of each of the four works we're reading this week and how each of these works has created a complete world.

Let's talk about the characters next!

Which characters in these works draw you in?

Which do you like?

Which do you hate (and love to hate)?

Which do you identify with?

Which ones speak to you, representing qualities that you have within yourself or qualities that you'd like to develop and nurture?

• SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    MUST RESIST URGE TO POST. MUST FINISH ESSAY.
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |

Finish essay. Hey, Summerfall--look at these academic essays as practices for your writing. If you can make them as engaging as possible--as well-written as you can make them--then your time spent with them won't be wasted. It will be part of what contributes to your career as a writer. It's like scales for a musician. You got to do them. And once you really start getting into them and seeing how they're integral to music, they stop becoming boring, and they start becoming practice. It's like that!

• eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member

Go @SummerFalls ! We'll be waiting here. With congratulatory cupcakes for you when you're done. Keywords being, when you're done. ;)
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member

In F.I.S.H I loved the grandfather! He just encompasse's what you think of when you hear grandpa. I may be read in to much into it but I feel like he has a secret he's hiding. I would love to learn some more about him.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    edited July 2015
    If I'm being honest, I think Miss Derby in Legacies of the Sims (Season 1) sets the tone for this earlier part of the story very well. I can't say I like her, but her self-centeredness, pleasure in seeing children suffer, and her love for cheese and wine collectively creates a character that is very unique and is quite instrumental to the story. She's definitely someone that sets many readers' blood boiling!
    swcheppes wrote: »

In F.I.S.H I loved the grandfather! He just encompasse's what you think of when you hear grandpa. I may be read in to much into it but I feel like he has a secret he's hiding. I would love to learn some more about him.

Ooooh! Now, this is a new one! :) Why do you think that?
    forum_final.png

If I'm being honest, I think Miss Derby in Legacies of the Sims (Season 1) sets the tone for this earlier part of the story very well. I can't say I like her, but her self-centeredness, pleasure in seeing children suffer, and her love for cheese and wine collectively creates a character that is very unique and is quite instrumental to the story. She's definitely someone that sets many readers' blood boiling!

Definitely! Her character is very defined and done so well. I definitely have ill feelings toward her!
    forum_final.png

swcheppes wrote: »

Are you talking about Giancarlo? He is one amazing Sim! He was in RobFam's art and music festival... http://www.robinsonfamts4.com/category/ii/02-08/