Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i didn't know it was a wp story til tonight . i'll read it soon. one bender moved time to far ahead and another is giving me a virtual headache because he can't make up his mind.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Happy Tasty Read, everyone! This week, we'll be featuring work by @lasummerb - The Games Begin, a chapter from Reign: A Game of Power.

Note: Some chapters of this work contain adult material. The selected reading contains some language for more mature readers, though the subject matter is appropriate for all. If you venture into other chapters of the Reign: Game of Power, please be aware that it's intended for a mature audience.

Readers: Please share your thoughts and responses, along with questions you have for @lasummerb .

@lasummerb If you have questions for us readers, or things you'd like to share about the writing process, please do! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Thanks for the tag @CathyTea I just logged on to check out the thread.

edited April 2018
    I wanted to give a quick summation of the story. This is taken from a longer post I made in February about Game of Power and basically what I had in mind when I first created it:

"The common theme in Game of Power is just that: power. What do we do to get it? Does having certain ideologies and held beliefs always get you the things you want or need? Or does one need to be a ruthless pragmatist to get the job done? You can’t get to the top in this climate by adhering entirely to ideals. Life has taught me that through a means to an end, sometimes have to do the opposite of what we want or what is ideal in order to get what we need. Class, affluent vs. poor, politics, big business, and sacrificing your scruples are all subjects and topics I plan on writing about in this new story. One of the things I think that hits closest to home for me is the topic of mental illness and how it takes over one’s life. I know all about how it feels as I have struggled with depression since I was eleven years old. I want to confront my hypocrisies within myself; how I’ve had to sacrifice my ideology at times to survive. I feel as if I need to write characters dealing with the same struggles as I believe it will be cathartic for me. To be completely honest and raw isn’t always easy...

When it’s all said and done, I hope to make a story that I can be proud of and say fear didn’t stop me from looking at all sides or presenting different arguments in many situations where there is no clear right answer. Very few things in life are black and white for most people. I am ready to get back on this ride and make something that can resonate with my audience. Thanks for coming along with me."

You can read the entire post here A Game of Power: Power, Politics, and the Pursuit of Privilege

The first chapter The Games Begin 1.1 is told from the POV of one of the main characters, Sebastian "Bash" Banks His bio is in the character biography index if you want to check it out.

Here's a pic of Bash:
    bashgopbiosnu.png?w=630&h=796&zoom=2

Bash is struggling with some internal issues that have affected his day to day life both personally and professionally. He grew up in a lower working class home and always strived for something better. There's nothing wrong with that, but Bash has always looked down on his hardworking parents, especially his father who he doesn't see as ambitious or smart as him and he feels like his mother and siblings are mainly complacent and okay with mediocrity. He went to Wharton and received his graduate degree from MIT. Bash works in the tech field and is upset that he continually gets passed over for promotions. What he thinks is because of who he is instead, unaware that his attitude and smugness has alienated many who work with him. Bash aims for the approval of upper society so much he's willing to step on anyone to get it.

****I won't go into too much detail on some of Bash's internal struggles as I do not want to break any forum rules
    https://reignagameofpower.com/2018/02/23/chapter-1-1-the-games-begin/
    Post edited by lasummerb on
    edited April 2018
    Another thing I wanted to mention about chapter 1.1 is some of the descriptive writing detail Bash uses to describe his home neighborhood. Descriptive writing is not always so easy for me. I try to abide by the rules of "Show & Tell". Bash dreads visiting his family for Sunday dinner each week and the quality of the neighborhood including some of his neighbors only cements his disdain for where he comes from. From the peeling paint on the old ramblers, the rusted storm pipes, and fences, to old cars laying around, everything makes him think of the life he grew up in which is constantly running away from.

Sidenote: The girl in my avi, Giavanna is Bash's new girlfriend in the story. I created GG specifically as a love interest for him. :)
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Ahhh I meant to come here yesterday to post some replies about @orangeplumbob 's amazing story :heart:

I know we've moved on, but I'd still love to answer the questions about Second Chances. So I will put my answers in a spoiler :)
    1) Which characters did you relate most to? What qualities of theirs did you respond to?
    Well, I've never been to jail or anything haha but I really connect with Eli. He never gives up, and he's always trying to do better and redeem himself. It's something I can really appreciate and look up to. It really makes me love him and root for him :heart:

2) Were there any characters you especially didn't like?
    Haha besides the obvious choices, I used to really have a thing against Sam, believe it or not! :joy: I was SO mad at her for keeping her pregnancy from Eli and denying him the chance to connect with Derek when he was little :( I know her reasons, but I would not do the same in her shoes, so it wasn't something I was able to relate to, and I kind of held a grudge for a long time! Haha

3) Did your attitudes towards any of the characters change throughout the story?
    I did warm up to Sam eventually... and her dad too! Seeing his relationship with Eli grow and change throughout the story was so awesome. The character development in Second Chances is superb! :heart:

4) What do you think about the specific challenges that Derek is facing and the way that he's facing those challenges?
    I love that Derek really feels like a typical teen. He's gotta deal with his parents being annoying, school stuff, friends, partying, and sex. It's all so relatable! I'm actually really looking forward to the next chapter of his life to see what sort of challenges he'll end up facing in his adult life! I hope he's able to stay focused and reach his career goals :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Hiya @lasummerb ! I have a question. When reading Reign: A Game of Power, I am always amazed at how the characters are fleshed out. In the case of Bash, for example- his self contradictory way of thinking, his background, even the way he talks to others seems so vividly real.

So my question is this: How do you go about building your characters, and does any of it come from personal experience?
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Ooo, I'm excited we're talking about @lasummerb's story because I really love your writing style and your character/world development. I said this over in the WP, but I found this opening to be powerful (pun intended since this is Reign of Power). I loved all the little details. How do you plan for chapters, @lasummerb? I'd be curious about your writing process since I always love to hear how other writers bring things together and keep track of details. I also found Bash to be a character with so much potential for growth and possible acceptance of the two worlds he seems to be stuck between. On that note, how do you develop your characters?

To the readers, what were your initial impressions of Bash? Could you relate to him or did you struggle to like him? I found myself stuck between both, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing because again, like I said above, he has so much promise for growth so I'll be curious to see where he goes.

On that note, I've gotta get caught up on these chapters. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Ooo, I'm excited we're talking about @lasummerb's story because I really love your writing style and your character/world development. I said this over in the WP, but I found this opening to be powerful (pun intended since this is Reign of Power). I loved all the little details. How do you plan for chapters, @lasummerb? I'd be curious about your writing process since I always love to hear how other writers bring things together and keep track of details. I also found Bash to be a character with so much potential for growth and possible acceptance of the two worlds he seems to be stuck between. On that note, how do you develop your characters?

To the readers, what were your initial impressions of Bash? Could you relate to him or did you struggle to like him? I found myself stuck between both, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing because again, like I said above, he has so much promise for growth so I'll be curious to see where he goes.

Ha, I knew I couldn't be the only one wondering how those characters are made!

I was quite neutral with my first impressions of Bash. He wasn't immediately likable, but I didn't dislike him either, even though he looks down on his family and in fact his entire town.
    The chapter starts out with him explaining how he is superior to his colleague Tim, and how Tim didn't deserve the promotion. If another character had said this, I might have thought he had a jaded world view, but in Bash's case, he is probably right in thinking he is struggling against racism. With that in mind, I can't blame him for thinking lowly of his family, though it doesn't mean it's right. I think society shaped Bash to be the way he is, and that doesn't make him a bad person.
    I think @lasummerb nailed it perfectly when trying to express a character in the "gray area". His world wronged him first and I was sorry for him. Then I felt really weird since his world is an accurate representation of reality, and I live there too. Wow!
    chalicen wrote: »
    Hiya @lasummerb ! I have a question. When reading Reign: A Game of Power, I am always amazed at how the characters are fleshed out. In the case of Bash, for example- his self contradictory way of thinking, his background, even the way he talks to others seems so vividly real.

So my question is this: How do you go about building your characters, and does any of it come from personal experience?

@chalicen

First, thank you so much for reading and the compliment, I'm glad you're enjoying GOP.

As far as your question (great question BTW), in the case of Bash and other characters in GOP and my other stories, some characteristics are similar to people in my life or people I've known. Bash is not based on any one real person, but need for his family to acknowledge his degrees and accomplishments comes from someone I'm close to. What I do know is that human beings are in many ways contradictory, we're complex beings and sometimes one way of thinking doesn't always agree with certain beliefs we have. We end up feeling inadequate and unsure.

I always kind of have it in my head that my characters have their own individual voice and stories and they're merely telling me what to write. I started to feel like that when I was writing my TS3 story Reagan Leeds: Run The World a few years ago. I like having different voices and exploring their backgrounds. Thanks again for reading!

@AdamsEve1231

Thanks so much, I'm enjoying your stories too!

For GOP, my chapter plan is not as stringent and organized as it was for my old TS3 story. Mainly because there are so many main characters in GOP and they all have different things going on in their lives. What I have to be careful of is when the storylines begin to intersect and the main characters are involved with each other in some way. For my cop, Det Bella Vega, part of her storyline includes a mystery, she's trying to find out who killed her older brother when he was undercover 12 years ago. Part of her investigation requires her to have connections with a criminal network. When I first introduced her and another main character, I had to be careful not to reveal their relationship off the bat. I also have to be careful that no one else reveals more about her brother's killing too far ahead of when Bella finds out more information.

The details involving Bella, Marquez, Lupita, and another character that isn't the story yet, Kao, have been planned out. I like to write notes in my notebook for outlines and details regarding the different criminal organizations over San Myshuno, WB, WC, OS, & NC and eventually I will add in details about BB and Selvadorada.

For my hostile takeover, corporate business and political consultant Rico, his storyline involves Bash and Harrison Edward. I've always loved stories about power in the boardroom and politics, so it took a lot of research and planning for these 3 characters as well.

I wrote my process of how I create characters in my response to @chalicen but I will add that for as long as I can remember, I've always had a vivid imagination. My brother and I spent our childhood sick with asthma and many times we could not go out and play, so we would create stories with our toys and write for hours. We were 80s kids too, so yeah we had Nintendo, LOL, but no internet, no 24-hour cartoon channels, etc. I am just happy to have that even as an adult.

Thanks again so much for reading and your great questions :)

chalicen wrote: »

Ha, I knew I couldn't be the only one wondering how those characters are made!

I was quite neutral with my first impressions of Bash. He wasn't immediately likable, but I didn't dislike him either, even though he looks down on his family and in fact his entire town.
    The chapter starts out with him explaining how he is superior to his colleague Tim, and how Tim didn't deserve the promotion. If another character had said this, I might have thought he had a jaded world view, but in Bash's case, he is probably right in thinking he is struggling against racism. With that in mind, I can't blame him for thinking lowly of his family, though it doesn't mean it's right. I think society shaped Bash to be the way he is, and that doesn't make him a bad person.
    I think @lasummerb nailed it perfectly when trying to express a character in the "gray area". His world wronged him first and I was sorry for him. Then I felt really weird since his world is an accurate representation of reality, and I live there too. Wow!

@chalicen

Bash does feel his degrees makes him superior to a lot of people. He is consumed with climbing the coporate ladder and he thinks he should be given things perhaps he has not fully earned just yet. I am not saying Tim has earned it over Bash, but Bash fails to realize how his negative feelings could be part of the reason he's getting passed up for promotions. In chapter 7 Going to the Mattresses, Rico tells the reader that Bash has always had a negative attitude and more often than not in corporate America, if you don't fit in the culture you won't go far, no matter your education. Rico, of course, recognizes that racism does play a part, but he's known Bash for a number of years and he can see how Bash's attitude turns people off.

Thanks for your input and all the likes on my blog!
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited April 2018
    Just re-reading the chapter @lasummerb .
    ahh it's hard not to hate Tim. Is that the name of the blonde guy? I'm terrible with names, so sorry if I mix anyone up. I know that can be annoying. ANNOYING that's the word for Tim. Like the protagonist said. . “Awesome. Try not to work too hard, we only have a couple of hours left!” I mean talk about condescending. Only because he doesn't have to work too hard to get raises. Darn, I remember reading this chapter ages ago. Even then I wanted to wring Tim's neck. I know he's not a bad guy. He just has no idea of his privilege which is So Annoying! Lol! :D Although I do get @chalicen's point that Bash does take things a bit to open negatively. You just really have a way of writing the protagonists in a way that makes the reader really want to take their side. <3

I just wanted to say your pictures are amazing. This picture took my breath away when I first read this chapter.
    02-22-18_8-46-24c2a0pm.png?w=1618&h=910
    you really set the athmosphere. I hope I'm not repeating someone else, but how long did you spend on the set up for these chapters?

I'm going to apologise. I know there's lots to discuss in this chapter and I was so excited for this week, but I am unfortunately unwell with an irritatingly long-term illness, which is one of the reasons why I've been absent from bookclub for a bit.

But I wanted to let you know, Ive been enjoying your story, although I'm not very far into it yet. I've been reading it slowly. :blush:
    lasummerb wrote: »
    Another thing I wanted to mention about chapter 1.1 is some of the descriptive writing detail Bash uses to describe his home neighborhood. Descriptive writing is not always so easy for me. I try to abide by the rules of "Show & Tell". Bash dreads visiting his family for Sunday dinner each week and the quality of the neighborhood including some of his neighbors only cements his disdain for where he comes from. From the peeling paint on the old ramblers, the rusted storm pipes, and fences, to old cars laying around, everything makes him think of the life he grew up in which is constantly running away from.

@lasummerb I adore the details throughout your story, and in this chapter, especially. It's these details that really engage me as a story. I get to feel that I'm stepping into the world and into the characters' lives.

With this chapter, I was surprised at how my affection for Bash grew when I saw him at home--that description of the family dinner was so real to me. And seeing Bash in that setting helped me appreciate him as real person.

I've been teaching at colleges for over 20 years, and many (at least half? Maybe most!) of my students are first-generation college students. So the culture-clashes that Bash experiences and that feeling of limbo between worlds which he still seems to exhibit sometimes felt very real to me, too.

In some ways, I hope he doesn't completely lose his angry edge--I mean, I don't want its sharpness to cut him or sever his prospects for success. But it serves a real purpose.

I'm interested in catching up with Bash twenty years in the future to see how his life has developed and who he's grown into.

In your future chapters, I've also really enjoyed the ways that your characters defy stereotypes while still fitting roles that we find in society.

And throughout, your specific details are so perfect for bringing us into the world you create.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Hi, everyone! On April 30, we begin our next two-week feature, Two Week Feature:[/b] Discovering Juliana by @Jes2G !

Remember, the first week is to give us a chance to read (or reread) and share our first impressions, thoughts, and responses informally.

Then, starting May 6, we'll have Coffee Hour for the week with our host, @cecerose0208 ! You can send any questions you'd like to share to her, or post them here in this thread, and throughout the week of May 6, we'll talk about Discovering Juliana!

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this story! It's a favorite of mine.

And @lasummerb , thank you again, so much, for sharing your selection with us for Tasty Reads this past week. I love your story, and I really enjoyed hearing other readers' responses and hearing what you had to share about the writing process!

(I've been watching tons of videos on V-Live featuring my bias Yugyeom from GOT7, so I now I feel like no message is complete without lots of hearts and and saying, "Say Hi to Brazil!" [and also, saying, Bye! I love you! and it's true... I do. <3 ] "Hi, Brazil!" )

• Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Weeeeee! :D
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited April 2018
    I am excited for these two weeks with Discovering Juliana!

The story is currently in Season 3. @Jes2G What you recommend for people starting your story for the first time or re-reading it? Back to the beginning? I feel like there are so many gems when Juliana first arrives in town. I'm starting back at the beginning. I think I've commented on every chapter, so I'll get a chance to see if my thoughts have evolved.

As @CathyTea said, you all can PM me your questions or save them for the discussion time yourself.
    i should really start at the beging i still don't know what juliana discovering. i assume its a journey of self discovery.
    I am excited for these two weeks with Discovering Juliana!

The story is currently in Season 3. @Jes2G What you recommend for people starting your story for the first time or re-reading it? Back to the beginning? I feel like there are so many gems when Juliana first arrives in town. I'm starting back at the beginning. I think I've commented on every chapter, so I'll get a chance to see if my thoughts have evolved.

As @CathyTea said, you all can PM me your questions or save them for the discussion time yourself.

Hmmm...it's hard to say. So much happens! lol The beginning introduces the main characters and their stories, but reading 123 chapters in a week may be a bit much to ask lol. So, how about this? Chapters 1-42 is a good foundation for new readers who are a bit gun shy about reading all of them. Current readers who want to re-read, read whatever you want, but maybe going back to the beginning may be worthwhile for you too.
    forum_final.png

since i have read parts of the story i will say this . its very well written and jes gets the emotional side. you feel what they do.
    since i have read parts of the story i will say this . its very well written and jes gets the emotional side. you feel what they do.

Awww! Thank you, friendsfan! I'm glad you can feel it. :smiley:
    forum_final.png

Here's a cute picture! I love how it captures the playful side of their relationship. We know it exists, but we do not get to witness it often.

GZ90iGd.jpg

What less obvious things do you guys like about Keviana?
    forum_final.png

• cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I love that picture! We don't often see physical intimacy between them. Just that comfort of him with his head in her lap, that's so sweet.

To answer your question, one of the less obvious things I like about them is how aware they are of each other's pet peeves, and also how they handle them with patience. Kevin can totally tell when he's irritating Juliana, but he doesn't take it personally. And Juliana sees Kevin's insecure/jealous side, but she just let those moments pass like waves on the shore.

When they get to that point of discussing what's really going on underneath the negative feelings, it means so much more because they've kind of created these safe spaces for each other where they don't have to pretend to be perfect.
    I love that picture! We don't often see physical intimacy between them. Just that comfort of him with his head in her lap, that's so sweet.

To answer your question, one of the less obvious things I like about them is how aware they are of each other's pet peeves, and also how they handle them with patience. Kevin can totally tell when he's irritating Juliana, but he doesn't take it personally. And Juliana sees Kevin's insecure/jealous side, but she just let those moments pass like waves on the shore.

When they get to that point of discussing what's really going on underneath the negative feelings, it means so much more because they've kind of created these safe spaces for each other where they don't have to pretend to be perfect.

Oh that's a good one! I love it. I feel like Kevin knows her well enough to know that she doesn't get angsty with him for no reason. But, he also knows himself and what kind of baggage he's brought into the relationship and doesn't want it to affect her. Juliana is so emotionally intelligent, she doesn't know exactly what all his issues are yet, but she knows he has them. She just happens to be a very sweet person who extends more grace to people than most of us would be willing to give lol. That doesn't mean she always behaves this way. Sometimes she wants to smack him lol. And, just a couple of times, we got to witness her not be so graceful.
    forum_final.png

if kevin and juliana were friends why was he so afraid to tell her how he felt?

this might be something i asked privately once but ce ce wanted me to be a part of this.