Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
Note, October 8, 2018: This is the old book club thread, and it is currently inactive. The active Book Club has moved here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/947864/. Please jump over there and take part!

You're welcome to look through our past readings and conversations here--lots of good stuff! And to join in with the current conversations, please head over the New Book Club!

Thanks a million to all the writers and readers who participated here over the past few years! Lots of good times! :)<3:)

Archive

Welcome to the Book Club! This group is open for everyone who loves to read SimLit!

Book Club follows a three-week cycle. For the first two weeks, we focus on a featured work, with an informal conversation the first week and a focused "coffee hour conversations" the second week. During the first week, please submit your questions for the Coffee Hour to the coffee hour host.

In the third week, we feature a Tasty Read, which is a shorter selection chosen by the nominated "Tasty Read" writer. During this week, we can talk with the nominated writer about writing, inspiration, tips and techniques, and so on.

We currently have openings for twoTasty Read writers! Is there a writer whose work you particularly enjoy? Is there a creative person whom you'd like to talk more with about their creative processes? Nominate that person for a Tasty Read writer!

To nominate a Tasty Read writer, please send a PM to @CathyTea and @swcheppes . We're happy to answer questions, too! :)

Read on!

CURRENT READINGS
Jan. 15-28 - Two-Week Feature: No Stars Over Uptown by @InfraGreen
Jan. 15 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
Jan. 22 - Coffee Hour Host with your host @chocis
Tasty Read:
Jan. 29 - @RipuAncestor/Forget Me Not (Chapter 1)

Feb. 5 - 18 - Two-Week Feature: Chain Reaction by @mypalsim1
Feb. 5 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
Feb. 12 Coffee Hour with your host @simscognito
Tasty Read:
Feb. 19 - Arrowleaf (selection to be announced)

Feb. 26 - March 4 - Two-Week Feature: Superdating Season 1 by @swcheppes
Feb. 26 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
March 5 Coffee Hour with your host @CathyTea
Tasty Read:
March 12 - Cement (selection to be announced)

March 19 - 25 - Two-Week Feature: Landon Legacy (Chapters 1-10) by @Arrowleaf
March 19 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
March 26 Coffee Hour with your host @chocis
Tasty Read:
April 2 - @pronterus

April 9 - April 23 - Two-Week Feature: Second Chances by @orangeplumbob
April 9 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
April 16 - Coffee Hour with your host @MadameLee
Tasty Read:
April 23 - @lasummerb - The Games Begin, a chapter from Reign: A Game of Power

April 30 - May 13 - Two Week Feature: Discovering Juliana by @Jes2G
April 30 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation Season 3 of Discovering Juliana by Jes2G
May 7 - Coffee Hour - @cecerose0208
Tasty Read:
May 14 - @xJojox - Chasing Hearts

May 21- June 3 - Two Week Feature: Darkness May Dream by @AdamsEve1231
May 21 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
May 28 Coffee Hour with your host @InfraGreen
Tasty Read:
June 3 - @BlackUndecimber

June 11 - June 24 Two Week Feature: Ashes to Ashes, Season TBD by @CitizenErased14
June 11 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
June 18- Coffee Hour with your host @Simslover163
Tasty Read:
June 25 - @simscognito - Henry and the Prince

July 9 - July 22 Two Week Feature: Madness in San Myshuno, Season 2 by @Simslover163
July 9 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
July 16 - Coffee Hour with your host @CathyTea
Tasty Read:
July 23 - @Bugsie2016

Previous READING LIST
February is for Love
Feb. 27 - March 3 - Love, Jacob by @Kittybit
Feb. 20 - 26 - Racket-Rotter Chronicles, Part Deux by @rednenemon
Feb. 13 - 19 - On Break (Unless someone wants to suggest a love story and step in as Coffee Hour Host)
Feb. 6 - 12: Another World by @sweetnightingale

January - Fairies, Aliens, Super Heroes, and Spies
Jan. 30 - Feb. 5: @virtualee 's Cursed Beauty Prequel with Coffee Hour Host @Sterretjeee
Jan. 23 - 29: @pammiechick 's Day & Knight with Coffee Hour Host @Maladi777
Jan. 16 - 22: @MadameLee 's Swanson Legacy
Jan. 9 - 15: @Thymeless 's Centauri Legacy with Coffee Hour Host @CathyTea
Jan 2 - 8: @RipuAncestor 's Fey of Life

Dec. 26 - Jan. 1 : Holiday Break! Be Merry! :smiley:

December Dramatics
Dec. 19 - 25: @TheoriesOfHappiness 's The Humble Legacy
Dec. 12 - 18: @AdamsEve1231 's Colt Family Traitacy with Coffee Hour Host @InfraGreen
Dec. 5 - 11: @Julyvee94 's Until It Breaks
Nov. 28 - Dec. 4: @friendsfan367 's The Benders

November - Fantastic Feasts (Dining challenges or stories)
We have three, we can use one more!)
Nov. 21 - 27: OPEN for Reservations :p (Please nominate another foodie-oriented blog!)
Nov. 14 - 20: @Simslover163 's Restaurant Extravaganza
Nov. 7 - 13: @Virtualee 's Dining Drama
Oct. 31 - Nov. 6: @Jes2G 's Delicious Dishes and Dreams

October - Ghostly Nights (Ambrosia Challenges)
Oct. 24 - 30: @Marialein 's Angel in the Darkness
Oct. 17 - 23: @Thymeless 's Can you hear the violins? with Coffee Hour Host @cshaner
Oct. 10 - 16: @ra3rei 's Ghost of a Chance with Coffee Hour Host @RipuAncestor
Oct. 3- 9: @Rainydayz179 's Ambrosia Challenge: Till Death Do We Part

Week of Sept. 19 - Noble Doubt - Generation 2 by @RosemaryMariee

Week of Sept. 12 - Noble Doubt - Generation 1 by @RosemaryMariee

Virtual Favorites (nominated by VirtuaLee :) )
Week of Sept. 5 - Keeping Up with the Joneses by @Jes2G
Week of Aug. 29 - Snow White New Beginnings by @lisabee2
Week of Aug. 22 - Angel in the Darkness by @Marialein

Tentative Summer Reunion Schedule (Draft Two)

Week of Aug. 15 - Huffman Legacy by @ra3rei
Week of Aug. 8 - Ashes to Ashes by @CitizenErased14 (with Coffee Hour host, @JoieWilder )
Week of Aug. 1 - The Devine Legacy by @SummerFalls (with Coffee Hour host @ra3rei )
Week of July 25 - Skinner Saga by @aroseinbloom (with Coffee Hour Host @ThePlumbob )
Week of July 18 - Thoreau Legacy by @JoieWilder (with Coffee Hour host, @CitizenErased14 )
Week of July 11 - Bloomer Legacy by @ThePlumbob (with Coffee Hour host @aroseinbloom )
Week of July 4 - Heffner Legacy by @Maladi777 (with Coffee Hour host @Julyvee94 )

Special Bonus Wonderfulness

Reading for the Week of June 27
Rocky Road by @SummerFalls

Reading for the Week of June 20
More Than a Princess: The Rossini Family Legacy by @CharmingMaruska

Reading for the Week of June 13
Letters to my Younger Self by @Pegasus143

Neighborhood Rotations

Reading for the Week of June 6
Dreams and Drama by @cecerose0208

Reading for the Week of May 30
Keeping Up with the Joneses by @Rainydayz179

Reading for the Week of May 23
The More the Wilder by @JoieWilder

Reading for the Week of May 16
Vee is for Vortex by @Julyvee94

Season of Love

Reading for the Week of May 9
The Bachelor Experiment by @PeachyKeen88

Reading for the Week of May 2
Love Shot 2 by @sunnyshay

Reading for the Week of April 25
The Bachelor: Disney Princess Version by @swcheppes

March With the Undead (or The Curse of Eternal Spring)

Reading for the Week of April 18
Wild Hearts: The Wilder Vampiracy by @JLBDreamer

Reading for the Week of April 11
Chrysanthemum Tango by @RipuAncestor

Reading for the Week of April 4 **Parental Discretion Advised: Language**
My Life As a Zombie by @Munterbacon with Coffee Hour Host @InfraGreen

Reading for the Week of March 28 **Parental Discretion Advised: depictions of violence, alcoholism, suicide, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, abuse, racism, homophobia, sex, nudity, abortion -- if you are under 18, please check with your parent or guardian before reading.
Eight Cicadas by @InfraGreen

Reading for the Week of March 21
(Para)Normal Neighborhood - @CitizenErased14

Reading for the Week of March 14
Undead with Benefits by @pronterus

Reading for the Week of March 7
My Experiences With Autonomy by @Rinellie

Reading for the Week of Feb. 29
Heffner Legacy by @Maladi777

Readings for the Week of Feb. 22
Story of a Legacy by @amberthezombie

Readings for the Week of Feb. 15
Huffman Legacy (Not a Prettacy) by @ra3rei

Readings for the week of Feb. 8
Ashes to Ashes. by @CitizenErased14

Reading for the Week of Feb. 2
Cursed Beauty by @VIRTUALEE

Reading for the Week of Jan. 25
In the Valley of the Sun by @MedleyMisty

Reading for the Week of Jan. 18
Alice and Kev

Readings for the Week of Jan. 11
Apocalypso A-Go-Go by ephemeraltoast - Note: This reading is listed by chapter in an archive of old postings from the TS2 exchange. The archive is alphabetical by authors with capital letters listed first. Scroll down to the lowercase letters, find the "e's" then find ephemeraltoast. All her work is great! We'll be talking about Apocalypso A-Go-Go.

Readings for the Week of Jan. 4
The Uglacy by Candi020765

Readings for Winter Break
ProjectIndex: #ProjectIndex now has its own thread! Please join us there to continue the conversation! :)

Readings for the Week of Dec. 14
Catch up with:
How to Lose Your Ugliness in Ten Generations by @anemone17

And sample any Prettacies that you enjoy! (Please list the ones you're sampling in a post here on this thread.)

Readings for the Week of Dec. 7
The Mansion on Horrid Hill by @pammiechick

Readings for the Week of Nov. 30
The Elstree Prettacy by @sabreene

Readings for the Week of Nov. 23
Hasslich Legacy by @PeachyKeen88

Readings for the Week of Nov. 16
A JordanNicoleJJ Sampler

Readings for the Week of Nov. 9
An OJenn Sampler
Memoirs of a Legacy: Read all of this--the chapters are short!
Rebuild Willow Creek: Take a sampling through this.
Simtropolis: Read all or take a sampling!

Readings for the Week of Nov. 2
A Penguinwa101 Sampler
Being Jennifer Valor: Chapter 1 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 5

The Gauntlet: Episode 1

Sul Sul: *Note: Contains adult language and subject matter--reader discretion advised* Episode 1 | Episode 2 | Episode 3.1

Readings for the Week of Oct. 26
Wolff Legacy by @FloorRaisin

Readings for the Week of Oct. 19
Waite Legacy by @Jufanzaly

Readings for the Week of Oct. 12
Belle Legacy by @iheartdinosx3

Readings for the Week of Oct. 5
Thoreau legacy by @JoieWilder

Readings for the Week of Sept. 28:
Life After Riverdale by @swcheppes

Readings for the Week of Sept. 21
Ikeda Legacy by @Meggles

Readings for the Week of Sept. 14
How to lose your ugliness in 10 generations by @marcellala
The Unusual History of Tribe Arayeo by @Julyvee94

Readings for the Week of Sept. 7
The Skinner Saga by @aroseinbloomsims
Gather Ye Rosebuds by @RachelRosebud

Readings for the Week of August 31
Simsacious Magazine by @Wasting_Night
Pollard Legacy by @Avoxsimmer

Readings for the Week of August 24
The Willow's Way by @DavidMCSessy
GTW Vignettes by @BBQPenguinWings

Readings for the Week of August 17 - Coffee Hour Host: @haylz18
Goofy Love by @CathyTea
Lockwood Legacy by @AuroraLockwood

Readings for the Week of August 10 - Coffee Hour Host: @eXokamikaze
Greenwood Dormitory by @SummerFalls
Get a Clue by @Carewren123
Love Shot Bachelorette Challenge by @sunnyshay
Big Brother by @AkramA

Readings for the Week of August 3 - Coffee Hour Host - @SummerFalls
Project L.E.G.A.C.Y. by @eXokamikaze
Dust to Dust

Readings for the Week of July 27, 2015
How to Save a Queen by @DreamsInPixels
Story of the Tragic Clown by @plastiekzakske
Derelict by @ra3rei

Readings for the Week of July 17, 2015
Rodney's Room by @VanityHigh
Tribe Wahine by @pammiechick
Disney Legacy by @Hirondelle
Bloomer Legacy by @ThePlumbob

Readings for the Week of July 10, 2015
F.I.S.H. by @Jes2G
Freedom Family Legacy by @BabyDollAnne
Ironbound by @Munterbacon
Legacies of the Sims by @Rorygilmore34
Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
Post edited by CathyTea on

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    I want to get the ball rolling by just saying... holy plum. Ironbound. It blows my mind!

I've been reading it on my nook which is awesome because it's small and tight and tidy, and for some reason, when I read on the nook I have incredible immersion...

And really, I feel like I've been living in here! I love this world! I've also hardly read any of it... like only maybe up to Chapter 8, so I don't even know everyone yet or what a "Bound" means or all that, but I LOVE being plopped in the middle of this world and discovering what this is all about! It's so exciting to me--I feel like I'm 12 and reading Greek myths for the first time!

What are your experiences with this or any of the other stories of this week as you start finding yourself getting into this world?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Oh - I would think that a nook would give great immersion for Ironbound. (I'm around the same place as you @CathyTea ). As a SF story that space-age book thing would be awesome. I'm going to be sure to read the rest of it on my iToy. I love how each chapter tells you just a hint more about what's going on and the suspense for the "binding" is starting to drive me insane! I can't wait to see what happens.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Oh - I would think that a nook would give great immersion for Ironbound. (I'm around the same place as you @CathyTea ). As a SF story that space-age book thing would be awesome. I'm going to be sure to read the rest of it on my iToy. I love how each chapter tells you just a hint more about what's going on and the suspense for the "binding" is starting to drive me insane! I can't wait to see what happens.

I know! Same here. And I keep thinking of Tasha Yar!

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    This is great, especially that I'm too busy writing, I've been forgetting what I haven't read or what I want to read next. Once again, this is a great idea!
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
    AkramA wrote: »
    This is great, especially that I'm too busy writing, I've been forgetting what I haven't read or what I want to read next. Once again, this is a great idea!

Yeah, that's why we're doing it, because we're all to busy to forget what we're reading, what we haven't read, and what we want to read! So this way, if we at least read the week's list, we'll be reading some great stories! :) Glad you like the idea, AkramA!

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Oh boy! I read Legacies of the Sims and the Freedom Family Legacy quite regularly but I haven't had a proper chance to read Ironbound yet (only two chapters in) and I must confess I've never heard of F.I.S.H. Busy week ahead!
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Well I'll say one thing for Ironbound, it's addictive. I sat down to read just a few chapters so that I could make sure to read the others as well and next thing I knew I'd read 12 :p

Excellent story it's really doing well at building tension. I just want to get to the party so badly to see who Leyva chooses.
    Well I'll say one thing for Ironbound, it's addictive. I sat down to read just a few chapters so that I could make sure to read the others as well and next thing I knew I'd read 12 :p

Excellent story it's really doing well at building tension. I just want to get to the party so badly to see who Leyva chooses.

Oh, crum! You're on chapter 12 and she hasn't chosen yet? I'm just starting 9, and I was hoping she'd choose!

On the one hand, I want to binge read and read the whole thing at once... on the other hand, it's such a rich, immersive experience that I want to really take my time so that I can live in the world in between reading sessions!

• BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Oh, crum! You're on chapter 12 and she hasn't chosen yet? I'm just starting 9, and I was hoping she'd choose!

On the one hand, I want to binge read and read the whole thing at once... on the other hand, it's such a rich, immersive experience that I want to really take my time so that I can live in the world in between reading sessions!

You guys have surprises ahead!

You guys have surprises ahead!

How far are you, Miss Penguin?

• sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    This is a good idea. Maybe when I'm not so busy putting post together I'll be able to join in.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I just finished F.I.S.H! Great job @Jes2G! I'm so invested in this little family, you make the reader really care about them. The grandfather is by far my favorite! I'm not sure who has read so o won't give anything away.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    I'm so excited to start this book club reading with you guys! And thank you for the nomination. Best birthday gift ever. :)
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I just finished F.I.S.H! Great job @Jes2G! I'm so invested in this little family, you make the reader really care about them. The grandfather is by far my favorite! I'm not sure who has read so o won't give anything away.

I really love F.I.S.H.! Don't you think the setting is so great? It doesn't feel like the usual Willow Creek to me, for some reason. It feels like a different world.

• swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »

I really love F.I.S.H.! Don't you think the setting is so great? It doesn't feel like the usual Willow Creek to me, for some reason. It feels like a different world.

Agreed. I play that house all the time but completely forgot that while reading this.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    so are we reading four stories a week?
    so are we reading four stories a week?

It'll probably range from three to five. And of course, read as many as you want! Rory is reading around 53 through Wordpress alone! It's just that the ones selected for the week will be the ones we'll be discussing that week.

And if someone wanted to only read the stories that we'd selected for that week, well then, that would give them a very good sampling of stories throughout the entire year!

@Munterbacon I am caught up on Ironbound on your wordpress and oh my gosh am I seriously impressed. Your attention to detail runs so deep, all throughout your story, it's amazing! The artwork of your photo editing is mind blowing. Why aren't you designing video games?! Your drama that you infuse with the characters, their intentions of why they do things, character spotlights...the list goes on... I am seriously gushing here. I am a serious fan of sci-fi and you have taken sci-fi to a entirely different level here. Your sims and set builds are a visual pleasure. I love everything. I'm excited to read more!

*poor grammar here is due to my excitement. Having a hard time putting my excitement into words!*
    @Munterbacon I am caught up on Ironbound on your wordpress and oh my gosh am I seriously impressed. Your attention to detail runs so deep, all throughout your story, it's amazing! The artwork of your photo editing is mind blowing. Why aren't you designing video games?! Your drama that you infuse with the characters, their intentions of why they do things, character spotlights...the list goes on... I am seriously gushing here. I am a serious fan of sci-fi and you have taken sci-fi to a entirely different level here. Your sims and set builds are a visual pleasure. I love everything. I'm excited to read more!

*poor grammar here is due to my excitement. Having a hard time putting my excitement into words!*

Oh, if Ironbound were a role-playing video game, I would live there, for sure!

And Rory, you really caught up?

Which brings me to and important question...

How shall we handle spoilers?

My thinking is that readers will want to talk about all they've read, not worrying about spoilers... but how do the rest of you feel?

@cathytea, I read Ironbound in one sitting. I just devoured it.

As for spoilers, I never thought about that. It was hard not to say anything spoiler wise about Ironbound and Freedom Family Legacy with the awesome @BabyDollAnne.
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited July 2015

Oh, if Ironbound were a role-playing video game, I would live there, for sure!

And Rory, you really caught up?

Which brings me to and important question...

How shall we handle spoilers?

My thinking is that readers will want to talk about all they've read, not worrying about spoilers... but how do the rest of you feel?

I say avoid spoilers just to be safe. There is nothing worse than having a good story spoiled for you.

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    First of all, I love this idea. I read a lot of stories too, and there are three of the four here that I haven't read yet. F.I.S.H. is the one Jes2G story that I haven't read any of yet. Rory's is the only story on this week's list that I have read.

Second, as far as spoilers, I would say that if you are going to talk about any big events plot-wise. Use the spoiler tool on the forum.
    It's there for a reason, right?
    :)

And before I go do a little bit of late night reading with one of these wonderful stories let me talk a little about the one that I have read.

I absolutely love the attention to detail that @RoryGilmore34 has in her screenshots. All of the characters are always so carefully placed. She's great at it. Also, I love the short chapters. She tells a great story in relatively few words. I'm always eagerly awaiting the next chapter as soon as I finish her latest.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    edited July 2015
    @Carewren123 !!!! My heart is officially warmed!!!! I wish you could see my face. Just pure happiness. Thank you for the sweet compliment. :) Best way to end my birthday, with a cherry on top compliment from you, an INCREDIBLE writer who I have been so inspired by. Your characters in #getaclue and their reactions/expressions is where I get so much inspiration!

Hugs.

See for yourself, everyone! @Carewren123 is awesome!

http://carewren123simstories.weebly.com/collaborative-projects.html
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    First of all, I love this idea. I read a lot of stories too, and there are three of the four here that I haven't read yet. F.I.S.H. is the one Jes2G story that I haven't read any of yet. Rory's is the only story on this week's list that I have read.

Second, as far as spoilers, I would say that if you are going to talk about any big events plot-wise. Use the spoiler tool on the forum.
    It's there for a reason, right?
    :)

And before I go do a little bit of late night reading with one of these wonderful stories let me talk a little about the one that I have read.

I absolutely love the attention to detail that @RoryGilmore34 has in her screenshots. All of the characters are always so carefully placed. She's great at it. Also, I love the short chapters. She tells a great story in relatively few words. I'm always eagerly awaiting the next chapter as soon as I finish her latest.

Seconded in relation to the level of detail and short chapters in Legacies of the Sims! I think it's always easy to ramble on, which I'm prone to doing, but to be able to tell a story and get your meaning across with few words...that's not easy to do, and not often done.

Besides that, I love how much detail and backstory goes into each of her characters and locations! @Rorygilmore34 has a way of setting the stage so that you're immersed in the setting from the get go. Not to mention the interactive features for readers in her Feature Fridays! It's so fun to participate and to reread things, just looking out for tiny bits and pieces in the pictures!