Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Season 1 of, The Legacy of the Sims ended today. :)

I'm waiting for my break to read it! :smiley:
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    So how do I read a spoiler post? Nothing shows up on my phone.

Yeah - I'm not liking the spoiler thing. It's weird to have to "quote" it to read it....On a phone, I'd assume it would be similar, use the quote function to read it, but then you end up with a comment you're not planning on sending. I think all my future spoilers will just be inline.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    ra3rei wrote: »

Yeah - I'm not liking the spoiler thing. It's weird to have to "quote" it to read it....On a phone, I'd assume it would be similar, use the quote function to read it, but then you end up with a comment you're not planning on sending. I think all my future spoilers will just be inline.

How do you mean inline?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

How do you mean inline?

Just write it and say sorry if anyone is spoiled?
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    And also, I created a thread called "Spoilery" which was SO fun! There you could spoil all you wanted! So we could use that, and just say something like "Pop over to Spoilery to see full comments!"

It's like a "Proceed at Own Risk" type of thread!

So I'm all caught up with Legacies. (Since I was reading this one already, I skipped ahead in the list.) I really love the characters in this story and I'm eager for Grace to meet some of them now that she's older. It's clear that this is a story first and the sims are there just to help visualize. Although the fun of the specials make it interactive as well. There's a lot of character growth and revealing to come - I can tell. And the suspense and sadness. All the feels.

I'm really interested to see how Sophie turned out. And what Grace will do when she's confronted with her friend. And if Mrs. Derby will come after her. And... and... and...
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    So I'm all caught up with Legacies. (Since I was reading this one already, I skipped ahead in the list.) I really love the characters in this story and I'm eager for Grace to meet some of them now that she's older. It's clear that this is a story first and the sims are there just to help visualize. Although the fun of the specials make it interactive as well. There's a lot of character growth and revealing to come - I can tell. And the suspense and sadness. All the feels.

I'm really interested to see how Sophie turned out. And what Grace will do when she's confronted with her friend. And if Mrs. Derby will come after her. And... and... and...

@ra3rei Thank you for reading! :) It will be interesting to see what Grace does as she discovers who she is now away from the orphanage. Just remember the feels when/if she confronts characters down line line. :)
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    edited July 2015
    (; ¡ǝʇᴉs ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɥʇ ǝsn plnoɔ noʎ sɹǝlᴉods ɹoℲ
    ...found here
    I'm kidding, but that would be amusing. :tongue:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
    Megg87 wrote: »
    (; ¡ǝʇᴉs ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɥʇ ǝsn plnoɔ noʎ sɹǝlᴉods ɹoℲ
    ...found here
    (I'm kidding, but that would be amusing. :tongue:

It's pretty easy to read!

All-righty! I also finished Legacies of the Sims, Season 1. So very masterful. I love the scenes of Grace lying on the train--it's always been a fantasy of mine to stowaway on a train. My boyfriend did that in the early 1970s, and his stories about it are so amazing. Plus, there's that incredible tradition that we have in American film of train stowaways....

Which brings me to...

This work is so smack in the tradition of American film--of course, there are the overt references to Classic films, but the entire plot--an abandoned mine, a dying town, a hidden pack of money, a baby on a doorstep, mob overtones... this could be a film. Its pacing and plot structure, too--very embedded in film. This insight excites me--I think that it explains some of the resonance I feel with the story.

How do you mean inline?

Just write it and say sorry if anyone is spoiled?

Ah! There's a thought. I am all over this approach, myself! Anyone! Please speak up if you would object to our simply spoiling our comments and apologizing later!

It's clear that this is a story first and the sims are there just to help visualize.

I'm thinking that all of what we're reading during Week 1 is this way, right?

None of these works are wrimmingfun--they're all stories/literature first that uses Sims for the illustration?

All-righty! I also finished Legacies of the Sims, Season 1. So very masterful. I love the scenes of Grace lying on the train--it's always been a fantasy of mine to stowaway on a train. My boyfriend did that in the early 1970s, and his stories about it are so amazing. Plus, there's that incredible tradition that we have in American film of train stowaways....

Which brings me to...

This work is so smack in the tradition of American film--of course, there are the overt references to Classic films, but the entire plot--an abandoned mine, a dying town, a hidden pack of money, a baby on a doorstep, mob overtones... this could be a film. Its pacing and plot structure, too--very embedded in film. This insight excites me--I think that it explains some of the resonance I feel with the story.

@CathyTea I love your review of Season 1! I never looked at it as a overview of American movies! I should have had a train robbery! ;)

How neat that your boyfriend was a stowaway! He must have great stories! :)

Which brings me to...

@CathyTea I love your review of Season 1! I never looked at it as a overview of American movies! I should have had a train robbery! ;)

How neat that your boyfriend was a stowaway! He must have great stories! :)

Well, he wasn't a very experienced one! The best story is when he and his buddy were rolling into town and they needed to jump off the train before it came into the station, so they stood at the open door... looked out at the rolling slope below... said, "On the count of three..." and at three, they both jumped out at the same time and collided in air and crashed to the ground where they rolled and rolled and rolled and, fortunately, were neither of them hurt! Ah, youth!

Which brings me to...

I never looked at it as a overview of American movies! I should have had a train robbery! ;)

I think the neatest part of this all is that it's a sort of subconscious tribute--it's not like you set out to do this. It's just that as you reached into the American mythos, this is what came out to form this classic story of yours! It's very cool--and because it comes from deep American myths within us, we resonate with it in those deep areas of ourselves that respond to archetype.

@CathyTea I should add a futuristic car that goes back to the future. :)

Thank you for the wonderful review. :) It means so much that you enjoy the story. :)
    It's clear that this is a story first and the sims are there just to help visualize.

None of these works are wrimmingfun--they're all stories/literature first that uses Sims for the illustration?

Ha! You're right! Although I'm sure there are some times where the sims influence the plot, perhaps, in FISH or Freedom? Maybe? There is something to be said for the best fiction being this "fiction first" type. I'll admit I work a little harder on my fiction first work than I do on my legacy work. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in the coming weeks of reading as we see more types of fiction. ...or perhaps even a non-fiction? That would be a challenge and a half to write with Sims.

Ha! You're right! Although I'm sure there are some times where the sims influence the plot, perhaps, in FISH or Freedom? Maybe? There is something to be said for the best fiction being this "fiction first" type. I'll admit I work a little harder on my fiction first work than I do on my legacy work. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in the coming weeks of reading as we see more types of fiction. ...or perhaps even a non-fiction? That would be a challenge and a half to write with Sims.

"Aimless" is sort of nonfiction... well, it is nonfiction. But it's weird nonfiction, like journal/reflection.

These works are inspiring me to write fiction for sure! I'm just not sure how I see the connection between my Simming and my ficition... I'm pondering this...

And I'd love to do biographies with Sims! I'd love to do a Bach biography, but I have a feeling it would turn into wrimmingfun, and Bach would be playing the gaming rig in no time!

"Aimless" is sort of nonfiction... well, it is nonfiction. But it's weird nonfiction, like journal/reflection.

These works are inspiring me to write fiction for sure! I'm just not sure how I see the connection between my Simming and my ficition... I'm pondering this...

And I'd love to do biographies with Sims! I'd love to do a Bach biography, but I have a feeling it would turn into wrimmingfun, and Bach would be playing the gaming rig in no time!

Of course who's to say Bach didn't play the gaming rig? None of us were around to find out. Hmmmm....brain whirling.

Ah - you're right about Aimless, memoir/journal is a category of non-fiction on my shelves.

Of course who's to say Bach didn't play the gaming rig? None of us were around to find out. Hmmmm....brain whirling.

Ah - you're right about Aimless, memoir/journal is a category of non-fiction on my shelves.

I was thinking that about Bach when I was writing this--he had such an addictive aspect to his brain, addictive to patterns, especially! And to coffee and tobacco! And he loved to hang out at cafes... funny guy. Total gamer, I'm sure!

• MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @Cathytea I would totally read a bunch of sim stories about composers/artists living together in modern settings, ahahaaa...
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    edited July 2015
    @Cathytea I would totally read a bunch of sim stories about composers/artists living together in modern settings, ahahaaa...

I second that! :) Beethoven's going to be yelling at everyone constantly though. Hot-headed trait! :D And Haydn would be a cheerful, goofball kind of a guy. :)
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member

I second that! :) Beethoven's going to be yelling at everyone constantly though. Hot-headed trait! :D And Haydn would be a cheerful, goofball kind of a guy. :)

And they'd probably all hate Mozart :)
  • SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

And they'd probably all hate Mozart :)

CT should totally get Bach on this idea!

I'm sorry for the terrible pun,.
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    So, I'm diving into Ironbound right now. Great story! Were we talking about setting before? So, first of all, I love what you've done with this, @Munterbacon :smiley: Your mods, the cc, everything creates such a wonderfully stunning world! When I read this, I feel like I'm reading a comic book or something--not The Sims fan fiction. That's a good thing and I'm sure that's what you wanted. But, as I'm reading, I'm going through this very intense internal battle. I'm trying to get sucked into this, but there is a part of my brain that won't allow me to do it. Like, I'm reading, and I can feel myself getting immersed, but then the princess makes a face and I'm like, "Hey! My Sims make that face!" lol, it's the silliest thing, but it keeps pulling me out of your wonderful world! Has anyone ever experience this (or anything like it) when reading Sims stories?
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr