Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    whens coffee hour?

It starts Sunday and lasts all week! (That's my kind of coffee break!)

Coffee everyday!

i'm pretty sure thats my motto. and keep it coming.

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Yes! Today is Coffee Hour! :)

That means that our coffee hour host, @chocis , will share the questions she has and she's received about Trip's work (questions for both writer and readers), and we can talk about them!

And... if we're eager to get started before @chocis has a chance to stop by, we can always share our own questions!

I've got one to start, for the writer:

Trip @InfraGreen : You mentioned that the idea for this came long ago, and you've written some about its genesis. Can you share for us what it's been like to translate that inspiration and those ideas into the Sims and into SimLit? And what has such a long germination period added to your realization of the story?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    sorry if i seemed impatient i just wanted to see this before work. because like i said before you tend to start new projects while i'm at work. but its fun to watch how your mind works.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @AdamsEve1231: it was revealing alright but there's even more to come. :naughty: Though it probably just repeats the obvious.

@friendsfan367 @CathyTea: I thought it was for Monday but then again, it's Monday somewhere.

Anyways, I think transferring the idea to simlit wasn't even the biggest change. It's a different medium from the pure written word but I didn't see it as the biggest change. The biggest was being critical of the Thu character vs. not challenging very obvious problems with how she treated others, under the guise of it being about her trauma. I also needed that time to properly grasp how much of a monster a man like Andrea could be. For a while he was always going to be "not that bad" for taking advantage of Thu but it eventually opened up much more unsavory details about Andrea that were inevitable to have to face. I think the only thing stopping me before was not getting to the point where we knew much about his character.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231: it was revealing alright but there's even more to come. :naughty: Though it probably just repeats the obvious.

@friendsfan367 @CathyTea: I thought it was for Monday but then again, it's Monday somewhere.

Anyways, I think transferring the idea to simlit wasn't even the biggest change. It's a different medium from the pure written word but I didn't see it as the biggest change. The biggest was being critical of the Thu character vs. not challenging very obvious problems with how she treated others, under the guise of it being about her trauma. I also needed that time to properly grasp how much of a monster a man like Andrea could be. For a while he was always going to be "not that bad" for taking advantage of Thu but it eventually opened up much more unsavory details about Andrea that were inevitable to have to face. I think the only thing stopping me before was not getting to the point where we knew much about his character.

no if it was monday i'd have a day off and a new fridge.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    I have Mondays off too. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I have Mondays off too. :)

tomorrow s fridge day. mom is going to pack some coolers very nice and neat. but i 'm going to be alone for the actual delivery which means the nice neat order will be ruined.

i have mondays wednesdays and thursdays. but like isaid in ww stuff keeps popping up.
    Before the questions come in, it's a perfect time to drop off Chapter One Hundred and Two in case it's relevant. ;)

outrun / blog / tunglr
    I binge read yesterday as you know, @InfraGreen, but not quite there. We'll see. I'm off today but one of my sisters is visiting. I haven't seen her since my other sister's wedding so I'll probably be busy.

I'm so corrupted now that I've read Uptown. >:) But it's addicting fiction... And a train wreck. Can't look away. :p

I like the differences in tone between the two narrators. Axel is descriptive, if not, an over-sharer at times but I get a sense of the world with him. Thu is childlike and manipulative without even realizing it. Poor girl never got to finish being a kid. You can hear it in her tone, and she's very me-centric (Axel has his moments). Thus far my favorite chapter is with Axel chatting with his grandma in Germany before all double hockey sticks broke loose.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231: dang, it's like you just got a peek into my writer's notes. :p If I ever have to switch between them I get severe whiplash from it.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I've been throughly enjoying your story. It's funny I saw a commercial for a new Netflix show that was about this city above the ground. I thought to mysslf they stole your idea ha :D

You tackle some heavy issues in your story. If done wrong could be taken offensively. I think you do a great job of handling these subject matters. Did you have a hard time writing about these subject matters? Were you worried about the reaction of the reader, especially a reader who may be dealing with the same issues in your story?
    suRdkSd.jpg
    edited January 2018
    @AdamsEve1231: dang, it's like you just got a peek into my writer's notes. :p If I ever have to switch between them I get severe whiplash from it.

@InfraGreen I don't switch that often between characters but sometimes I have to take a break to get into certain frames of mind. Max Racket and Bill Racket were probably the hardest.

I'm loving Uptown. So deliciously dark.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @swcheppes: and to think about how long City Living was in production for...

Very rarely and I tended to care the most about readers who had already brought up that stuff in terms of warning them. However I don't believe in shying away from any of those issues and don't waste my time worrying about every minute reaction.

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @AdamsEve1231: I definitely have an inherent problem with switching between minds. At least I have yet to look at a real villain like, well, Max or Andrea. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @AdamsEve1231: I definitely have an inherent problem with switching between minds. At least I have yet to look at a real villain like, well, Max or Andrea. :p

andreas a villian. i think i only read one chapter where hes alive.

opps i may have spoiled that for new readers.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

Thanks @friendsfan367 . Nah it's alright! :D
    @ AdamsEve1231: I definitely have an inherent problem with switching between minds. At least I have yet to look at a real villain like, well, Max or Andrea. :p

Not a traditional villain but certainly a man I wouldn't want to be alone in a room with.

@simscognito: be careful. Mysteries are the best part. ;)

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @ AdamsEve1231: I definitely have an inherent problem with switching between minds. At least I have yet to look at a real villain like, well, Max or Andrea. :p

Not a traditional villain but certainly a man I wouldn't want to be alone in a room with.

@InfraGreen I will. @friendsfan367 no more spoilers! :D

@InfraGreen I will. @friendsfan367 no more spoilers! :D

looks inocent. i didn't mean too.
    Max only had one chapter written from his perspective. Thank the Maker! Haha.

Andrea creeps me out.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Andrea creeps me out.

i love that andrea creeps you out but your happier that max only had one chapter.
    edited January 2018

Andrea creeps me out.

i love that andrea creeps you out but your happier that max only had one chapter.

@friendsfan367: I don't disagree with @AdamsEve1231 because I'd much rather be alone with Andrea than with Max. I'm just not Andrea's type of girl...so he'd just be a jerk. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr

Andrea creeps me out.

@friendsfan367: I don't disagree with @AdamsEve1231 because I'd much rather be alone with Andrea than with Max. I'm just not Andrea's type of girl...so he'd just be a jerk. :p

whos max? i keep reading bits and pieces because i don't have time for allof it yet. 100 chapters is a lot pretty sure i read at lest 2.

mike i think thats hi name is the one who scares me.

Andrea creeps me out.

whos max? i keep reading bits and pieces because i don't have time for allof it yet. 100 chapters is a lot pretty sure i read at lest 2.

mike i think thats hi name is the one who scares me.

Max is from @AdamsEve1231's Colt Family Traitacy and a TS3 pre-made. He was a character in my old story too and...outwardly bad in both. Not the kind that creeps up on readers like with Andrea.

outrun / blog / tunglr