Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Happy Coffee Hour Evening-style... or morning style... or maybe, Timezone style?

pexels-photo-189537.jpeg?w=1260&h=750&auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb

Got a question for the readers...

What's this story about? I mean, sure... about super-hero-dating-fantasies... but not really. What's it *really* about?

Great question. I think the story is about self-discovery, the journey to figuring out who she is and what she wants from life and the city and dating. I don't have anything super deep to expand on that right now, but I wanted to jot my initial thoughts before I signed off for the night.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Happy Coffee Hour Evening-style... or morning style... or maybe, Timezone style?

What's this story about? I mean, sure... about super-hero-dating-fantasies... but not really. What's it *really* about?

Great question. I think the story is about self-discovery, the journey to figuring out who she is and what she wants from life and the city and dating. I don't have anything super deep to expand on that right now, but I wanted to jot my initial thoughts before I signed off for the night.

That's what I think, too! :) Like, almost verbatim!

I was going to say that it poses itself as a dating-story, a find-the-prince-to-achieve-wholeness story, but it's really not that at all! It's not even a romance! It's about finding oneself, accepting oneself, healing and becoming whole.

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

I was going to say that it poses itself as a dating-story, a find-the-prince-to-achieve-wholeness story, but it's really not that at all! It's not even a romance! It's about finding oneself, accepting oneself, healing and becoming whole.

its almost 10 i don't want to think anymore whats wholeness?

Great minds think alike, @CathyTea. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Wholeness has to do with being healthy, and like CT said, healing and acceptance of oneself, feeling complete.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    For everyone:

You wake up tomorrow morning and you have a single superpower, what is it?
    Teleportation, same as @AdamsEve1231 !
    I hate waking up every morning and driving one hour to work, ahaha.
    And traveling would be so easy!

Hmm Idk if that's included in wholeness, but I think it's about finding self-confidence. The main character is quite insecure at the beginning, like when she found her first love (not counting the "boyfriends" before here, haha).
    But the more happens, and the more experience she gets while growing up, the more self-confidence she finds. And it's not only about dating, but about everything. She still struggles, but it's only season 2 so far xD
    I find it really interesting to follow this process.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

Wholeness has to do with being healthy, and like CT said, healing and acceptance of oneself, feeling complete.

thank you adamandeve
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I love that no one is saying this is a love story. Even though love and relationship play a big part in this story it truly is a story about finding ones place in the world. It's a story about being comfortable in your own skin. Accepting whi you are and loving that person despite the flaws. It's funny because this story started out being a love story. I wanted to tell one girls experience in the world of love. But it evolved into something more then just that.
    suRdkSd.jpg
    I definitely see how love is important to the plot line, and all kinds of love - romantic, friendship, and self-love.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Happy Book Club with Super Dating! :)

(I'm having fun. :) I hope you are, too!)

I brought treats!

mini_beignets_pile.jpg

p2118541.jpg

slr070223_011.jpg
    1200px-Coffee_10000000041876_001200_%2815638573727%29.jpg

Let's talk favorites!

Favorite super hero actor?

Favorite chapter(s)?

Favorite moment?

Favorite setting?

Favorite sentence? or paragraph...

Other favorites?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Since I'm on a mochi kick over in the Writer's Lounge, I'll bring that...
    l_13010_green-tea-mochi.jpg
    and it's the end of National Oreo Day so I'll bring Oreos too...
    National-Oreo-Cookie-Day-March-6-1024x512.jpg?resize=400%2C200

@CathyTea Did you mean favorite super hero actor in @swcheppes story or in general? My favorite superhero/superhero actor is Captain America/Chris Evans.
    theres-only-one-god-maam-and-im-pretty-sure-he-doesnt-dress-like-that.jpg best... line... ever... I laughed so hard in theaters along with everyone else. I hope the Captain makes more appearances in the future in Super Dating. ;) I also like Spider-man, and I might be unpopular for saying so but I liked Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man...
    andrew-garfield-amazing-spiderman.jpg
    ...though I liked the story line of Homecoming a little more. So maybe it'd be cool to see Spider-Man make an appearance in the story line.

Favorite chapter? Gah! They are all so good, but I really liked the Boys Take a Break chapter. It was interesting to see Erin cut loose and spend the evening with a girlfriend.

Favorite moment? When Chris Evans finally knocks on Erin's door... and then cliffhanger! Bah! Way to leave us hanging, @swcheppes! Okay, and the moment when the burglar breaks into her apartment and Henry is with her. It was intense and beautifully written.

Favorite setting? I really love San Myshuno, especially now that I've been playing around in the city myself. Erin's apartment is so fun and bright. I love the orange walls. And the pictures of Erin and Henry down by the waterfront at nighttime in chapter 4 are beautiful. :)

Favorite sentence or paragraph? @swcheppes has a great narrative style, and I love all these chapters and the way she phrases things, but it's fitting my favorite lines are from my favorite chapter... in the opening...
    My father used to tell me don’t let one thing define you. Make your mark on the world in many areas. Test the waters and try everything, never settle for what is only familiar.
    Actually I love all the opening paragraphs in the chapters. She really hooks you from the start. :)

The opening of chapter eight is great too.
    A few things about the truth, it hurts, it will set you free, it’s overrated. Many super heroes live and die upholding the truth. That raises the question is it ever ok to lie and if so when?
    I love the matter-of-fact way it's stated, and yet there's a deep question in there.

And I love the opening paragraph of chapter five too... backtracking here, I know, but I can't help it.
    Have you ever had a favorite sweater? You know the kind I’m talking about. That one that every time you wear it no matter how you feel it always looks perfect on you. You could wear it with jeans, or a skirt, or yoga pants and yet it still works with all of them. You’ve worn it so many times that the color has faded, there’s a hole or two in the sleeve and there may be a coffee stain on the front. You know it’s time to throw it out. The only person who thinks this sweater looks perfect anymore is you. But no matter how hard you try you just can’t let go. I’ve come to realize guys that I date are my favorite sweater.
    There's something simple and profound about this paragraph.

Other favorites? I know @swcheppes asked us this over in my writing circle, but if I had to pick between any one of the guys, I'm now leaning toward Henry as a favorite. Mostly because I'm seeing him with fresh eyes this read around and I think he's the best and most stable option for Erin. Although I'm still holding out hope for Cap... if he knows she's alive.

Great and fun questions, @CathyTea.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I agree with @AdamsEve1231 great questions @CathyTea (don't forget you have to answer them too @CathyTea ) :) I'm not sure if I'm meant to answer these but I'm going to anyway :p

This is too hard of a question to answer in real life. I love Chris Evans (duh) and Henry Cavill. I also love Ezra Miller as the Flash, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and I just recently saw Black Panther and loved Chadwick Boseman. So I guess I have to answer all of them lol.
    As for my favorite in my story, surprisingly I really love Jason Mamoa. I feel he was the most genuine and the only guy so far that hasn't been playing any kind of games with Erin. He never pressured Erin or placed more expectations on her that she wasn't ready for. He was the one I feel opened his heart the most.

Favorite chapter(s)?
    I still love the first chapter. It was my favorite one to write and and screenshot (though that might change in season 2 because there's a chapter coming up that I can't wait to share). Being the first it obviously sets the tone and the feel of the story. It was one of those things I've written that after I was done I thought wow I'm impressed with myself :D

Favorite moment?
    My favorite moment is after her second date with Henry. When she's in her apartment and has made the decision that she only wants to be friends with Henry. As she's having the realization there's a shot of Henry in the shower and she makes mention it it. It's in that moment she knows friends isn't what she wants. It's the first moment she begins to let down her guard with Henry and open up to the idea of a real relationship with him. It's a very simple but real moment that I love.

Favorite setting?
    In the first season I didn't make a lot of the settings on my own. In season two I tried to make more of my own stuff in the world. My favorite setting has yet to be seen. It's just so happens it's in that chapter that I mentioned before that might be my new favorite chapter. I really love the small red house that she is living when she meets Chris in Windenberg, the house where they fall in love and where she gets her heart broken. Honestly I love all the shots from that flashback. Windenberg is such a pretty town to shot in.

I can't possibly answer this because I love them all. It's like picking your favorite child ;)

Other favorites?
    I must say I'm still so in love with the graphics in Sims 4. I'm still amazed sometimes with the job the developers have done in the this game. The details they have put into the world is incredible. This is also the first time I'm playing my game on the highest graphics setting. Before I never had a computer that allowed me to do that. Having these stunning graphics I feel really elevates the stories we write. I went to college for graphic design and also took many photography classes. So when I'm taking my screenshots I'm really trying to capture the best possible shot as if I was standing there with a camera. I'm really proud of my screenshots and wanted to share a few of my favorite shots.

9lkoYC7.png

7okkBli.png

XR7Co0Y.png

Eqnkvic.png
    suRdkSd.jpg
    I'm playing season three right now and im still fleshing it out. I would love to hear what you guys would want to see happen in this story.
    suRdkSd.jpg
    OK! Answering my favorites question!

I love that you all thought I meant for real, and not for the story! I actually did mean the story... I don't know any of these actors except for Jason... I haven't really watched super hero movies since Michael Keaton's Batman. I... uh... just don't like them? *shrug*

In the story, my favorite was Jason! He's so authentic, and he really did treat the narrator well... I think he really loves her, in a way that he wants the best for her, and that's so sweet. Plus, I like the way he looks in this story! :)

Favorite chapter(s)?

I, too, LOVE the first chapter. I just love it! It draws me in and it makes me want to get to know the narrator and follow her adventure!

I really love all the chapters with break-ups or with Erin doing something on her own... I think because she just gets stronger and stronger, and I love that!

Favorite moment?

The break-up moments! I also love the funny moments that happen in the visuals, where you sort of see someone (and not always the mysterious most-desired someone) there in the background... but is it really? It's very much like a movie, with the cast members making little Alfred-🐸🐸🐸🐸-like pop-ins! :)

Favorite setting?

I LOVE the San Myshuono scenes, especially the apartment--the tiny yoga room!

Here are a few, from the Prologue...
    But you can’t fix something when it’s as shattered as we were, as I was. I said it before not everyone gets a happy ending, especially not in the comic book world.

That’s the funny thing about endings though sometimes they lead to beginnings. And that’s where my story really begins. My name is Erin. I still love comic books and by no choice of my own boys. And for some reason those two still seem to go hand and hand.

These exemplify my favorite sentences from this work... I love the retrospective, introspective tone to them. I like the "life lesson/this is how it is" tone. The cadence of these sentences is really beautiful! And, truthfully, what I read this work for is this satisfying combination of cadence and introspection. :)

Other favorites?

Can I say the whole thing? Oh! The moments without any guys are really fun!

I also love, @swcheppes , that you feel proud of your writing here! I'd feel proud, too, if I'd written chapters like these! I feel a bit of writer-envy when I read this, and that also motivates me to read it because I want to soak up what I love about this writing so it will spill-over into my work! :) Inspiration City!

Answering @swcheppes 's question: "I would love to hear what you guys would want to see happen in this story."

I'd love to see her go on vacation to the tropics! Do a little adventuring! Who might pop up? Maybe it's a location for shooting for one of the super hero films! And she happens upon the set!

I'd love for her to get a hedgehog. LOL! Or a bunny! Ha! Or... any four-legged friend. And maybe she'd be walking a dog, and she'll run into someone else walking a dog... and who knows what might happen?

Sleepy Book Club! Err.... Happy Book Club Coffee Hour! (Little too late for coffee... I'm pretending I'm halfway around the world so it's morning! :) )

1200px-Hei%C3%9Fe_Schokolade.jpg

Maple_spice_cookies_and_thumbprint_cookies.jpg

Next set of questions...

1) @swcheppes ' question... What would you like to see in Season 3?

2) What were some of the more awkward or painful parts of the story in Season 1, and what do you think those moments contribute to the story?

3) Personally, I'd love to hang out with Erin. If you and Erin were to hang out, what would you want to do? Where would you go? What would you eat and drink? What--or, rather, WHO--would you talk about? :)

4) What questions do you have for readers and the writer?

Hi, everyone! We're finishing up Coffee Hour this weekend! I'd love to hear your final thoughts on the story before we move to our next Tasty Read.

Cheers!

@pronterus @Arrowleaf @chocis @orangeplumbob @MadameLee @lasummerb @Jes2G @cecerose0208 @InfraGreen @AdamsEve1231 @chalicen @CitizenErased14 @Simslover163 @simscognito @Bugsie2016

Hi, everyone! You're tagged here because you're scheduled to have your work featured during Book Club as a two-week reading or a tasty read, or you've volunteered to be Coffee Hour host.

I made a mistake in my original schedule, so the original schedule was off one week. Please take a look at the schedule on the first page to make sure that the new, corrected schedule works for you. If it doesn't let me know and we'll figure something out!

Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience!

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Hi, everyone! You're tagged here because you're scheduled to have your work featured during Book Club as a two-week reading or a tasty read, or you've volunteered to be Coffee Hour host.

I made a mistake in my original schedule, so the original schedule was off one week. Please take a look at the schedule on the first page to make sure that the new, corrected schedule works for you. If it doesn't let me know and we'll figure something out!

Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience!

Mine is fine with me. :)
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Thanks, @CathyTea. Mine is good.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    That's all good with me, thank you!
    Hey, all! Wrapping up Coffee Hour! Thanks for such a great conversation.

@swcheppes I really enjoyed hearing more about the process in writing this and what your aims were. It's really a favorite of mine! It was fun to hear everyone's insights, too.

Here are my responses to the last questions...

What were some of the more awkward or painful parts of the story in Season 1, and what do you think those moments contribute to the story?

I felt the times of self-doubt were pretty poignant, and they made Erin's discoveries about herself--and her commitment to continuing on with the self-discovery--very commendable and inspiring.

Personally, I'd love to hang out with Erin. If you and Erin were to hang out, what would you want to do? Where would you go? What would you eat and drink? What--or, rather, WHO--would you talk about? :)

I'd love to hang out with Erin in the Spice District, just drinking really good coffee from one of the vendors and talking about our favorite reading experiences! Then, I'd really love to go to Geek-Con with her, maybe even cosplay, if she'd help me with my costume! And I'd love to hear all the inside scoop she'd be able to offer! :)

Looks like we're on a quick break this week. We'll start Langdon Legacy next week! Enjoy!

• lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member