Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    @Carewren123 Thank you for bringing the spoiler tool to my attention! :) I personally think that's the way to go with all discussions that may potentially spoil those of us who haven't read the stories yet!
    @BabyDollAnne 's Freedom Family Legacy has a very diverse and wonderful range of characters from the get-go! All with rich backstories too. Also, for those of you who can't wait for updates, this story updates very frequently, so you'll never be left hanging for too long. :)
  • I'SimshaI'Simsha Posts: 110 Member
    might i suggest @Pammiechick 's amazon challenge story as a story you uys might read, it's absolutely incredible
    Love is Love no matter what shape form or size

READ MY STORY AT:http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/845502/this-is-life?new=1
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    First of all, I love this idea. I read a lot of stories too, and there are three of the four here that I haven't read yet. F.I.S.H. is the one Jes2G story that I haven't read any of yet. Rory's is the only story on this week's list that I have read.

Second, as far as spoilers, I would say that if you are going to talk about any big events plot-wise. Use the spoiler tool on the forum.
    It's there for a reason, right?
    :)

And before I go do a little bit of late night reading with one of these wonderful stories let me talk a little about the one that I have read.

I absolutely love the attention to detail that @RoryGilmore34 has in her screenshots. All of the characters are always so carefully placed. She's great at it. Also, I love the short chapters. She tells a great story in relatively few words. I'm always eagerly awaiting the next chapter as soon as I finish her latest.

Seconded in relation to the level of detail and short chapters in Legacies of the Sims! I think it's always easy to ramble on, which I'm prone to doing, but to be able to tell a story and get your meaning across with few words...that's not easy to do, and not often done.

Besides that, I love how much detail and backstory goes into each of her characters and locations! @Rorygilmore34 has a way of setting the stage so that you're immersed in the setting from the get go. Not to mention the interactive features for readers in her Feature Fridays! It's so fun to participate and to reread things, just looking out for tiny bits and pieces in the pictures!

@eXokamikaze Well, now my heart is at capacity! You know in The Grinch, how his heart expands?

Visual here:

http://youtu.be/fGSs33DQ1F0

Preeeeeetty much the same! Thank you for the kind compliments. And for reading, ninjapigsims! :)
    @Rorygilmore34 *ninjapig snuggles* Thank you for writing such an awesome story! It's a pleasure to read. :)
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Can i just say i'm hooked on F.I.S.H!! hehehe Get it LOL! :D and of course i read @Rorygilmore34 Legacies of the sims, almost like every second of the day!! (whenever she updates the story, LOL!) I love Freedom family legacy @BabyDollAnne you have ALOT of interesting characters with tragic backgrounds and a diverse cast of sims!! and .....i'm about to dive into Ironbound!!!
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I'm making my way through Iron bound and I'm amazed that this was made with sims! It could be it's own expansion pack. I'm only a few chapters in but the chapters are a nice length and a delightful read!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    First of all, I love this idea. I read a lot of stories too, and there are three of the four here that I haven't read yet. F.I.S.H. is the one Jes2G story that I haven't read any of yet. Rory's is the only story on this week's list that I have read.

Second, as far as spoilers, I would say that if you are going to talk about any big events plot-wise. Use the spoiler tool on the forum.
    It's there for a reason, right?
    :)

And before I go do a little bit of late night reading with one of these wonderful stories let me talk a little about the one that I have read.

I absolutely love the attention to detail that @RoryGilmore34 has in her screenshots. All of the characters are always so carefully placed. She's great at it. Also, I love the short chapters. She tells a great story in relatively few words. I'm always eagerly awaiting the next chapter as soon as I finish her latest.

I also love the hidden objects. For me, Rory's story includes some of the elements I loved most as a child from those really amazing interactive stories, calendars, gamebooks or tv shows--all these little amazing Easter egg goodies to find as well as a richly immersive environment!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    I'Simsha wrote: »
    might i suggest @Pammiechick 's amazon challenge story as a story you uys might read, it's absolutely incredible

Sounds great, I'Smisha! We're pretty well full up for this week (at least as far as long works go--we could sneak in another short work for this week), so let's add this work to our list for next week, ok?

(I'm thinking that we have no more than three long works per week, then if we want to add two short works, that's fine--how does that sound, everyone?)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    edited July 2015
    I hope I do this right, but here's my reviews for the three that I've read.

F.I.S.H is really dear to my heart. Anyone who has read the Pruett Legacy during the generation with Melody has probably seen me comment about how much Melody (from the legacy) reminds me so much of how my teenage years were. Seeing her in this dynamic, it's heartwarming. Melody aside, I love the plot...I love seeing Giancarlo and Bianca (:love: I love them so much they're in my story). I love River...I have ever since he first showed up in Pruettland. The writing is vastly different than the legacy, but you can still tell it's @Jes2G and her amazing voice.

Legacies of the Sims is the latest story that I read from the bunch. Mostly because I helped @Rorygilmore34 with something. I am very glad I decided to read it. The characters have depth, the sets are well detailed, and she even has a game set up to find the item from ts3. It's genius, and I can't wait to see where the plot leads.

Freedom Family Legacy was my nomination. The dark plot was what got me hooked on it, because it was similar to my story. The characters are so diverse, the level of detail and dedication to make it more realistic (I mean come on...she downloaded CC for the bruises. I didn't even think to do that.), on top of all that, I always look forward to more...even though I know it's updated daily. I feel a kinship with the writer (@BabyDollAnne) so maybe I'm a bit bias...but seriously, I am hooked on this story.

ETA: Now to start on Ironbound. Hopefully I won't be up all night lol. Gotta get up early to get plane tickets >:)
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    @CathyTea Sounds great to me! I'd love to get started on Ironbound, but its length is daunting to me for now! So I'd definitely love to have a mix of longer and shorter works in the bag.
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I'm making my way through Iron bound and I'm amazed that this was made with sims! It could be it's own expansion pack. I'm only a few chapters in but the chapters are a nice length and a delightful read!

I'm so into the writing in Ironbound--Chapter 9, where Nakaia is introduced--her voice! Those descriptions hooked me.

One thing I love about Ironbound is how the reveal is handled. When I write, I never know how much to show or reveal at a time and how much to explain and so on. In Ironbound, @Munterbacon simply dives in, lets us figure out stuff as we go along, putting the pieces together to construct the world, and this works so effectively! I love the way my mind feels while I'm putting together all these details.

Rory does something similar, too, in that the entire world, the characters, and the plot are already developed--and we are able to interact with the story while we figure it out.

Jes does that in FISH, also.

And then--now and then, we'll get explanatory pieces, like Rory's character lists, and the non-chapters of Munterbacon, where he's presenting descriptions of the races, and so on.

As a reader, I find these techniques so engaging, and as a writer, reading them is instructive!

• RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    So a few days ago I added a chapter to my story and realized that I mentioned the wrong town! (My fault for posting so early in the am). I was really kicking myself in the butt about it. Should I edit and fix it? Then, @DreamsInPixels suggested that I add an asterisk to fix the error! Brilliant! :)
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Okay - I am loving FISH. This is such a sweet story. (I'm just going to start at the top of the reading list and go down.) I was just thinking today that I needed to find some way to get some dedicated time for reading, otherwise I'm always reading and that means I'm not writing.

I love how human the characters in FISH are. Well, Jes2G's characters always are very real feeling and this story is no exception. The way Melody and River interact and live seem so right. It's obvious that they're part of a bigger world, - but the story is all wrapped around them, tightly focused.

Anyone else reading it for the first time? Are you as concerned for River as I am?
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Okay - I am loving FISH. This is such a sweet story. (I'm just going to start at the top of the reading list and go down.) I was just thinking today that I needed to find some way to get some dedicated time for reading, otherwise I'm always reading and that means I'm not writing.

I love how human the characters in FISH are. Well, Jes2G's characters always are very real feeling and this story is no exception. The way Melody and River interact and live seem so right. It's obvious that they're part of a bigger world, - but the story is all wrapped around them, tightly focused.

Anyone else reading it for the first time? Are you as concerned for River as I am?

Yes, yes, yes about being part of a bigger world--so can we say that this is true of all the stories we're reading this week and that this is what makes them so engrossing and engaging?

(Plum! I gotta go write--I'll check back with you all later or tomorrow morning...)

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    @Munterbacon I am caught up on Ironbound on your wordpress and oh my gosh am I seriously impressed. Your attention to detail runs so deep, all throughout your story, it's amazing! The artwork of your photo editing is mind blowing. Why aren't you designing video games?! Your drama that you infuse with the characters, their intentions of why they do things, character spotlights...the list goes on... I am seriously gushing here. I am a serious fan of sci-fi and you have taken sci-fi to a entirely different level here. Your sims and set builds are a visual pleasure. I love everything. I'm excited to read more!

*poor grammar here is due to my excitement. Having a hard time putting my excitement into words!*

ATTACK HUG
    BwJ00.gif

Whoops, I got a little too excited ;)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @Munterbacon I am caught up on Ironbound on your wordpress and oh my gosh am I seriously impressed. Your attention to detail runs so deep, all throughout your story, it's amazing! The artwork of your photo editing is mind blowing. Why aren't you designing video games?! Your drama that you infuse with the characters, their intentions of why they do things, character spotlights...the list goes on... I am seriously gushing here. I am a serious fan of sci-fi and you have taken sci-fi to a entirely different level here. Your sims and set builds are a visual pleasure. I love everything. I'm excited to read more!

*poor grammar here is due to my excitement. Having a hard time putting my excitement into words!*

Oh, if Ironbound were a role-playing video game, I would live there, for sure!

And Rory, you really caught up?

Which brings me to and important question...

How shall we handle spoilers?

My thinking is that readers will want to talk about all they've read, not worrying about spoilers... but how do the rest of you feel?

Yeah, I would probably just want to talk about everything. But I'm not against only talking about say chapters 1-10 of a certain story is that was the consensus.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    So... i'm only in chapter 6 of Ironbound... and can i say I AM NOT WORTHY! O MY GOSH @Munterbacon how... in the world... did you... well, CREATE YOUR WORLD! OH my jesus! Ironbound is SO beautiful! and you are doing the SciFi genre Justice and more! and your characters are SO AWESOME! i'm SO going to have to know where you got some of your hair CC!!! Lovin' it!!
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I'Simsha wrote: »

Sounds great, I'Smisha! We're pretty well full up for this week (at least as far as long works go--we could sneak in another short work for this week), so let's add this work to our list for next week, ok?

(I'm thinking that we have no more than three long works per week, then if we want to add two short works, that's fine--how does that sound, everyone?)

3 long, 2 short? Perfect =)
    dustshaela.jpg
    So... i'm only in chapter 6 of Ironbound... and can i say I AM NOT WORTHY! O MY GOSH @Munterbacon how... in the world... did you... well, CREATE YOUR WORLD! OH my jesus! Ironbound is SO beautiful! and you are doing the SciFi genre Justice and more! and your characters are SO AWESOME! i'm SO going to have to know where you got some of your hair CC!!! Lovin' it!!

Thank you so much!

I'll chuck up some links to the sites where I get my hairs from in the writer's lounge when I get a chance.
    dustshaela.jpg
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Okay I finished FISH....er rather I caught up with the current posting. I'm really excited about where the story is going. I love seeing the legacy folks in there...alive again.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Okay I finished FISH....er rather I caught up with the current posting. I'm really excited about where the story is going. I love seeing the legacy folks in there...alive again.

I know, right?

• moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    FINALLY. I've been practicing my acceptance speech for soooo long, now I have a chance! *cries from happiness* that is the whole speech. xD
  • SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    HI IM HERE! I bring cupcakes to this party.

I'm going to start on Ironbound right now!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited July 2015
    I love @BabyDollAnne 's Sims and she knows how to introduce a guy you should hate into her story!