Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    So what happened about getting this back up&running?

Ummmm.... we dropped the ball? LOL!

I think I got swept away with the Alien Adoption Challenge Collab and sort of forgot about everything else...

But maybe, now that it's finally getting cooler (at least where I live) and darker (in the evenings) it's time to revamp! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    A reading circle? What? Where?

I can't believe I've missed this!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    For_Eorzea wrote: »

this is a book club. i would explain further but sis hasn't put up any info yet.
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member

@For_Eorzea For the record there are actually a bunch of reading circles on this forum.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/887855/reading-circles-for-all-games/p1
  • Options
    For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    I feel so dumb now for not noticing... Anyway, thanks! I looksed into this and it sure looks cool!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I feel so dumb now for not noticing... Anyway, thanks! I looksed into this and it sure looks cool!

everything cathtea does is cool.

i might find something to tease her about later but for now shes good.
  • Options
    elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    Just saw this, I think this is such a great idea, we kind of did something like this in new legacy reading circle but I don't know there's one where everyone can join. Such a cool idea. I'd definitely be on board if this got re-opened.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    So, any chance of this being reopened, since it's new year and all? :D I'd love to join if it did... always wanted to join a reading circle or the like.
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Wow just remembered this was here! I'd be keen too if this got reopened! :blush: Awesome idea!
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I've been absent lately in regards to reading and writing. I would however be interested in doing book club again. It would be a nice way to get back into reading and writing.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    I'm also interested to do book club again. It's been long since the last book club meeting!
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    So happy to see all this interest in Book Club!

Let's get it started!

@Chands - We're starting up Book Club again! :smiley:

@swcheppes Would you be able and willing to get in touch with the writers whose works have been nominated so far to see if they're interested and willing in having us read their work? And, would you get in touch with the people who nominated them to see if they'd be willing to be hosts?

I nominated your Super Dating and @Simslover163 's Madness in San Myshuno --and I will definitely be willing to be Coffee Hour host for that!

We can open up for new nominations once we get everything already in the queue scheduled.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    So happy to see all this interest in Book Club!

Let's get it started!

@Chands - We're starting up Book Club again! :smiley:

@swcheppes Would you be able and willing to get in touch with the writers whose works have been nominated so far to see if they're interested and willing in having us read their work? And, would you get in touch with the people who nominated them to see if they'd be willing to be hosts?

I nominated your Super Dating and @Simslover163 's Madness in San Myshuno --and I will definitely be willing to be Coffee Hour host for that!

We can open up for new nominations once we get everything already in the queue scheduled.

Sure!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    Info about the New Process!

After Book Club went on break, we took a little re-evaluation time to think about a few changes we might make to help Book Club be even more engaging, interactive, and fun. Here's what we came up with:

Schedule

Week One: Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    Week Two: Coffee Hour Q & A for Readers and Writer
    Week Three: Tasty Reads (A different writer selects five-minutes' worth of reading, and we have Q & A on that for the week)

And then the cycle begins again!

We will review the schedule with the writer and the hosts and do our very best to accommodate.

Questions for Coffee Hour

During Week One, readers submit questions through PM to the Coffee Hour host, who will then compile the questions to ask during coffee hour conversations in Week Two.

Coffee Hour Host

Whenever possible, the nominator will be the Coffee Hour Host. When this is not possible (or the nominator is not willing) then @Simslover163 or @CathyTea will fill in.

(If you would like to volunteer to be a fill-in Coffee Hour Host, please let me know!)

To help make this a success:

My biggest concern when we put Book Club on hold was that we weren't getting enough participants--sometimes, it was just me and the writer participating, and that doesn't feel good for the writer!

The way we can make this a success is by making sure that we have a few people who will commit to participating--especially during slow times.

I'm not currently reading every work that's been nominated, so I may not be participating in each and every session. I would like to know that during times I'm not participating, there will be others who will join in and help make sure that the conversations are happening.

Thanks so much for your renewed interest and for inspiring us to get this going again!

• Options
    How do we want do the durations? Should it be a new story every week, every two weeks?
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    Here's the schedule:

Schedule

Week One: Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    Week Two: Coffee Hour Q & A for Readers and Writer
    Week Three: Tasty Reads (A different writer selects five-minutes' worth of reading, and we have Q & A on that for the week)

So, for example:

Jan. 15 - Longer work (reading, submitting questions, informal conversation)
    Jan. 22 - That same work -- Coffee Hour Q & A (all week) with questions for the readers and writer
    Jan. 29 - Tasty Reads (a short reading selected by a writer who was nominated--questions that week posed by the readers and/or writer)

Feb. 5 - The next longer work (reading, submitting questions, informal conversation)
    Feb. 12 - That same work -- Coffee Hour Q & A (all week) with questions for the readers and writer
    Feb 19 - The next Tasty Reads (a short reading selected by the next writer who was nominated--questions that week posed by the readers and/or writer)

Feb. 26, the cycle starts again...

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi @CathyTea you said you were worried about not enough people participating, so I just wanted to let you know I am very keen to participate and I see people have nominated a lot of my favs, so I'm super excited for this. :blush:
  • Options
    Hi @CathyTea you said you were worried about not enough people participating, so I just wanted to let you know I am very keen to participate and I see people have nominated a lot of my favs, so I'm super excited for this. :blush:

That's awesome! Super glad you'll be participating! :)

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited January 2018
    @CathyTea you might want to recap about the fact that Legacy stories would be like "TV shows" each Gen is a "Season" that we discussed during the summer? So there might be 'breaks' (ie others' stories) between seasons if it's a legacy.

Edit: I just realized I just did that for you.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @CathyTea you might want to recap about the fact that Legacy stories would be like "TV shows" each Gen is a "Season" that we discussed during the summer? So there might be 'breaks' (ie others' stories) between seasons if it's a legacy.

Thanks, @MadameLee ! :)@swcheppes is coordinating the batch of nominations she received, and it is handling the generations as seasons, so thank you for mentioning that! :)

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member

Thanks, @MadameLee ! :)@swcheppes is coordinating the batch of nominations she received, and it is handling the generations as seasons, so thank you for mentioning that! :)

Did we also agree that this would apply to longer non-legacy stories with multiple story arcs? That one arc or something similar would be a "season"?
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member

Did we also agree that this would apply to longer non-legacy stories with multiple story arcs? That one arc or something similar would be a "season"?

yeah I checked on the previous page and that's what it said: 4. Entire works that have already been read will not be selected. For longer works, such as legacies with multiple generations or work with "seasons" or parts, each generation/season/part will be considered a separate work and can be nominated even if we've read previous generations/seasons/ or parts.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

Yup!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Hi! Guess what? We are ON! A thousand thanks to @swcheppes for coordinating the nominations, the hosts, and the scheduling! Book Club is back!

We will be having two week features, with the first week for reading the work, submitting questions to the coffee hour hose, and holding informal conversations on the work. Then, during the second week, the coffee hour host will lead a conversation, using the questions that were submitted the previous week as conversation-starters.

After the two-week feature, we have a one-week Tasty Read, during which a nominated writer presents a short reading and we talk about it informally or through writer-led conversations.

Then, the cycle continues! :)

We have two-week features nominated up through the end of June! :)

We still need the following volunteers:

--Coffee Hour Host for April 23 (Reading: Discovering Juliana)

If you are interested in being the coffee hour host, please let me know and I'll be happy to share with you what's involved. It's very fun and very low-key! :)

We still need SIX Tasty Read writers to be nominated!

For Tasty Read nominations, think about a writer whose work you enjoy and who you'd like to hear share about their writing, their writing process, and their sources of inspiration.

Please email Tasty Read nominations to me and/or @swcheppes !

Here is our schedule:

Jan. 15-28 - Two-Week Feature: No Stars Over Uptown by @InfraGreen
    Jan. 15 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    Jan. 22 - Coffee Hour Host with your host @chocis
    Tasty Read:
    Jan. 29 - @RipuAncestor/Forget Me Not (Chapter 1)

Feb. 5 - 18 - Two-Week Feature: Chain Reaction by @mypalsim1
    Feb. 5 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    Feb. 12 Coffee Hour with your host @simscognito
    Tasty Read:
    Feb. 19 - Arrowleaf (selection to be announced)

Feb. 26 - March 4 - Two-Week Feature: Superdating Season 1 by @swcheppes
    Feb. 26 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    March 5 Coffee Hour with your host @CathyTea
    Tasty Read:
    March 5 - Cement (selection to be announced)

March 12 - 25 - Two-Week Feature: Langdon Legacy (Chapters 1-10) by @Arrowleaf
    March 12 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    March 19 Coffee Hour with your host @chocis
    Tasty Read:
    March 26 - *Nominate A Writer!*

April 2 - April 15 - Two-Week Feature: Second Chances by @orangeplumbob
    April 2 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    April 15 - Coffee Hour with your host @MadameLee
    Tasty Read:
    April 16 - *Nominate A Writer!*

April 23 - May 6 - Two Week Feature: Discovering Juliana by @Jes2G
    April 23 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation Season 3 of Discovering Juliana by Jes2G
    April 30 - Coffee Hour - *Host needed - Please volunteer!*
    Tasty Read:
    May 7 - *Nominate A Writer!*

May 14 - 27 - Two Week Feature: Darkness May Dream by @AdamsEve1231
    May 14 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    May 21 Coffee Hour with your host @InfraGreen
    Tasty Read:
    May 28 - *Nominate A Writer!*

June 4 - 11 - Two Week Feature: Ashes to Ashes, Season TBD by @CitizenErased14
    June 4 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    June 11- Coffee Hour with your host @Simslover163
    Tasty Read:
    June 18 - *Nominate A Writer!*

June 2 - July 8 - Two Week Feature: Madness in San Myshuno, Season 2 by @Simslover163
    June 25 - Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    July 2 - Coffee Hour with your host @CathyTea
    Tasty Read:
    July 9 - *Nominate A Writer!*

So excited!

If you've got questions, please ask! :)

Post edited by CathyTea on

• Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Ooh, I'm looking forward to this!