Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @Jes2G and @simscognito I would totally recommend reading @xJojox's stories. She's an interesting and unique writer and she creates gorgeous Sims.

Well I must say, I'm very impressed with the wordpress layout.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Alright, I'm bringing heart-shaped cookies for Book Club since this week's tasty read is Chasing Hearts.
    5b567f93-01fa-415c-a6f6-8cae51e5f83a.jpg

Or maybe if we've got gluten or dairy free peeps here or people who just like fruit like I do, I will bring this... called shot-through-the-heart.
    01-fruit-heart-624x362.jpg

To answer my own questions,

If you read Fine Lines, how do you feel about the spin-off?
    I'm excited as I've already stated. Sean was one of my favorite characters in Fine Lines and I feel like it'll be fun to follow his point of view.

What predictions do you have for Sean?
    I binged a few chapters at lunch. I think he'll be breaking some hearts before this story is over, and I hope he settles down with the right woman because I feel he deserves better, even if he is a player.

To answer @xJojox's questions,

What traits can tell from sean in the first chapter at first glance?
    I have prior knowledge of Sean so it's hard not to take that into account. At first glance, he definitely seems like a womanizer, a bit lazy, but well-intentioned. He likes to have fun. He enjoys being surrounded by beautiful women. He seems to be drifting since his dad's death and the takeover of his dad's business. I would say there is more to him than meets the eye, though he's pleasing on the eye. ;)

Can you tell Sean Hyatt is grieving?

Yes, but again, I think this is because of past knowledge of him. Like I said, he seems to be drifting through the motions, a bit aimless. He was always a player, but I feel like he really can be kind, sweet, gentle, and loving, if he lets his guard down. I would say the meaningless flings seem to be a filler for him, a band-aid of sorts, to take his mind off reality. I feel like this playboy attitude of his is compounded by his wealth and power and his struggle to handle all his responsibilities in a way that honors his dad's legacy.

Chasing Hearts has POV's from many characters in later chapters, does it help you understand the story more, or do you think it needs to stay with Sean so we can understand him more?
    I was super happy to get a few chapters from Pammie's perspective. This is @pammiechick's character, right? I liked when she showed up before, and now, I like her even more, and I sympathize with her. I feel like she deserves better too. I am always a fan of switching up POV, mostly because it fills in the gaps and makes things interesting and keeps things snappy. I don't think it detracts from Sean's story.

On that subject, I agree with @AudreyFld. You are certainly keeping us guessing with the ladies. :)

Readers...
    which of the ladies are you rooting for at this point?

@simscognito mentioned the WordPress layout. I know @xJojox spends a good bit of time editing her images and screenshots. Readers, do you have a favorite picture thus far (that's appropriate to share here... otherwise, just link it)? How do you feel the pictures help tell the story?

Writer...
    @xJojox Talk to us about how you select and edit images. How do you feel they enhance the story?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I haven't started reading yet but I just opened up the prologue and I absolutely love what @xJojox has done with the pictures. Having the pictures behind windows is a fascinating concept. It reminds me of the saying 'behind closed doors', which creates the impression of something quite intimate I'm about to read.

Okay, that's my impression before reading. Now I'll begin reading...
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    If you've read Fine Lines, how do you feel about the spin-off? What predictions do you have for Sean either based on his past appearances or in the Prologue?

I can't say I was sold on the idea of Sean very blatantly pining after a simself for a whole story but I am sold on Sean himself. I was suspicious of him at first in Fine Lines but came to love him as he and Abby worked together and cultivated a friendship (I really didn't like their sexual moments though; Joseph all the way, forever and ever). I always gravitate towards characters that have a young/immature/problematic client or ward to manage, like Princess Carolyn from Bojack Horseman or Charles Ofdensen from Metalocalypse or my own Gian from No Stars over Uptown. While Abby's only hurdle for Sean to manage was (at most) teen girl stuff, he's still fits the description. Also, he and Gian are my special cross-story crack ship, no shame.

Sean is turning 30 sooner or later in the story, depending on how fast time goes. I hope he goes into full crisis mode because of that. :p But I do read him right now as a man who's in a delicate balance between wild and free twenties and the urge to quiet down in his thirties, even if he's not aware of it yet himself.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    edited May 2018
    I would totally recommend reading @xJojox's stories. She's an interesting and unique writer and she creates gorgeous Sims.
    Naww @AdamsEve1231 so much love here <3 i feel very happy :)

And also one of my most loyal readers (among so many others) @AudreyFld your always very kind, and dedicated to all of my stories! I swear you stalk my wordpress/threads LOL :)

@simscognito - The layout was actually a little simple, but i tried to make the banner nice. :) I will update this banner again when new characters exit and enter the story to keep it up to date.

Some feedback to your questions/answers @AdamsEve1231 ...

A following up to Chasing Hearts had to be done because everyone liked Sean. A little suspicious at first because he came in between Justin and Abby. But he turned out to be a beautiful character. Chasing Hearts cuts deep down into Sean's character at his most vulnerable stage. We always seen Sean happy go lucky and very cheery in Fine Lines. But we only ever really saw him from Abby's POV. We never got in his mind to know how he really thinks.

I think you hit the nail on the head about his grief and i did link you to a song earlier on my blog posts on my wordpress earlier to understand in Sean's mind what he is going through. It's like a secret struggle ... and maybe at the point where he doesn't want to be a bachelor anymore. It's just a matter of knowing WHO will fill the spot for UK's most eligible!

I did something new with Chasing Hearts ... instead of making a bunch of pretty faces, i asked alot of people for their self sims since @pammiechick s self sim is a main character. For those who read on tumblr, i have Josiesimblr's self sim in there Quiddity-Jones self sim and @MrsRacooney s self sim too! There are also some of @Maladi777 's beautiful female sims who had an alpha makeover who have entered OR about to. I figured this might make it fun for the readers to see their sims and see fellow readers self sims in it.

And as far as women! HA! I'd love to read who people are rooting for! Maybe Miss Right hasn't entered yet? I like to keep readers wondering ... I think some people knew the end game with my last story, but with this one ... it will definitely be a guessing game.

Because I just wanted to ... my favourite picture so far is
    2hdqiz7.png
    I like the emotions and the editing in these.

And you asked ... Talk to us about how you select and edit images. How do you feel they enhance the story? Now i know a lot of people who use re-shade and certain actions in photo shop for editing. But i don't actually use any of that. It surprises some, but i cannot use re-shade because it makes my sims turn into weird silhouettes. And some PS actions can over do photos and ruin them. I generally adjust the brightness and contrast to suit what time of day it is and where my sims are in the picture. After that I burn and dodge areas in my pictures that i want more definition. I play around with photo filters, sharpness and always fix imperfections. I'm really particular about the little things.
    As far as selection, there is none really. I read through the story, think about what would be a good pose for the scene, make it in blender and take different angles of it. The most important thing to me is that the emotions are recognised.
    2hd8gih.png
    Here is an example of my editing process ... it can often take an hour or so to PS 4-5 pictures.

@InfraGreen you are completely right! My story runs through days and weeks quite slowly and in detail from his day to day. He will be 30 within the story and this crisis will come no doubt.

• Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @xJojox - I’ve never been called a stalker before! Yikes...But when I found Fine Lines I was hooked! Such an engaging story. I went from loving Abby to not liking her very much and back to loving her. And I had even reconciled at one point to the fact she might not wind up with Justin... Because Joe.... <3 But Justin finally got there in the end. I worried a little about Sean’s motives as well and was so afraid he was going to break Abby.

Oops, we are supposed to be talking about Sean! I am happy to get into his head and see his evolution from playboy and someone that has influence and uses it howmhe sees fit with no other care in the world, to someone who is actually in charge and how he is struggling with that new found responsibility while mourning his father’s untimely death. He is a multifaceted character and feels very alone even though he is surrounded by people. But no one that truly understands him or that he feels he can open up to. His sexual conquests are, as someone else said, temporary fillers for loneliness and pain. I think that’s why he is so eager to talk to Pammie...it’s someone he had a real connection with and he yearns for that again.

Your are a poses are great and your photo editing definitely makes a difference. I loved the before and after shots.
  • Options
    @xJojox You're very welcome! And yes, I did listen to the song. :)

To answer my own questions, which of the ladies am I rooting for? Well, I'm not that far into the story so I can't really say, though if I had to pick, I'd say Pammie, but I'm probably biased. If she doesn't end up with Sean, I'd hope she find lasting happiness whether she finds someone new OR she is confident enough and loves herself enough to be comfortable single. :)

I won't share my favorite image here, but I agree with @simscognito. I love the windows scene - a window into Sean's inner life and world, and the behind closed doors imagery is fantastic as it alludes to intimacy and his deepest self. We can peer into his heart and soul.

Readers, Jo shares a song for Sean here. What do you think this says about his state of mind and his character? If you haven't listened, I'd give it a chance as I think it reveals a lot.

Also readers and/or writer, What emotions do you see Sean experiencing? What influences him?

And finally, just for fun, what do you think of Sean's board room scene (if you're that far along)?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    Which of the ladies are you rooting for at this point?

Pammie. It's the only sensible option right now. The rest of the ladies (Samara, Josie) only want to use him. And although I'm quietly cheering for Josie to complicate Sean's life even more, I wish a nicer lady for him. One that will love him genuinely, but won't let him take control over her life. Sean seems to be making all the decisions when it comes to the ladies. I want to see him in more uncharted waters.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    Sean seems to be making all the decisions when it comes to the ladies. I want to see him in more uncharted waters.

Ooo... I like this, @Maladi777. It would be interesting to see someone throw Sean off his game in a way that makes him think more and work harder.

To answer one of my own questions, @xJojox, I think Sean is in unchartered waters in the business arena. He's always been part of the family business, but running things is different than before. He has more responsibility, more scrutiny, more meetings. It's probably not what he wanted, but he wants to do his dad proud, though his personal life is putting pressure on his business life. I think he's silently wanting for meaning, but anything close to it makes him nervous because it's vulnerable and that scares him, I'd imagine. He's used to being in power and having control. I love the song you shared, Jojo because I think it captures Sean's inner self accurately in a way that he just can't express externally yet.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @AudreyFld - Stalker is a good thing. For my threads/stories ... your the reader people want. :)

And as far as the choice for Pammie ( @pammiechick ) previous Fine Lines readers will see and know how lovely they were together. And definitely be biased about this idea. But it would be interesting to know what the non fine lines readers think?

Question from @AdamsEve1231

What emotions do you see Sean experiencing? What influences him? I think Sean is driven and influenced by pride and power. Right now he is in a little bit of denial about this though. Because while he would tell you he doesn't want power, he wants respect ... wouldn't it be interesting if he didn't have power? He's used of being the richest in the room, the most good looking ...etc. All them things can be powerful qualities. He is also influenced by what others think of him. He DOES listen to Beth and he does take note of things people say. And because he doesn't have the guidance from his father, he is influenced by what he thinks he might be doing for his fathers legacy.
    Sean's emotions are a roller-coaster really. He's very vulnerable at the moment. Not only did he lose his dad, but he walked away from his life too when he came to run Hyatt hotels. Grounding himself again and finding himself again is going to be a task. While he is close to his mother, he is distant because of the guilt he feels. The guilt is actually suffocating him and he doesn't know how to deal with it. He is starting to feel what its really like to be lonely. DENIAL is another thing because he wouldn't admit that he needs a long term girlfriend either.

@AdamsEve1231 this song is important. It describes him to a tee. It's all his emotions and feelings balled into one. All the words he can't get out to anyone. But they will eventually come to surface when/OR IF he snaps.

@Maladi777 Sean is a powerful man, he needs a woman who is more powerful than him or equally powerful to stand against him. Beth is a really strong person from him. Kinda like a better Abby without the drama. And Josie? LOL. Sean's suffering already! Ur mean! :tongue:

• Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Just stopping by real quick to show some love to Chasing Hearts .. my daughter is getting married tomorrow and so I am seriously busy ... JOJO you know I love your stories <3 your simmies are gorgeous! BTW I am team Pammie of course <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @lisabee2 XOXOX hugs <3 OOOOer ur daughters wedding is on the same day as the royal wedding?
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Good afternoon!

I'm nowhere near caught up, but I wanted to make an attempt, so here we go.

does the prologue see him into where he is in his current life?
    Yep. I think it caught me up quite well.

Heh, definitely romantic. Maybe family oriented and ambitious? I'm always terrible at seeing these things at first lol.

Not really. Unless I got the wrong impression from the prologue, he doesn't seem to be much different from before his father died. Maybe he's more of a playboy now, but he was popular with the ladies before as well, right? I do see him struggling with what he thinks his father's expectations would have been. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself to fill his father's shoes, and that pressure probably causes him to have lapses in judgment. So, maybe the playboy and the grief are related, but he already had those tendencies.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    Good afternoon!

I'm nowhere near caught up, but I wanted to make an attempt, so here we go.

Yep. I think it caught me up quite well.

Heh, definitely romantic. Maybe family oriented and ambitious? I'm always terrible at seeing these things at first lol.

Not really. Unless I got the wrong impression from the prologue, he doesn't seem to be much different from before his father died. Maybe he's more of a playboy now, but he was popular with the ladies before as well, right? I do see him struggling with what he thinks his father's expectations would have been. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself to fill his father's shoes, and that pressure probably causes him to have lapses in judgment. So, maybe the playboy and the grief are related, but he already had those tendencies.

people grieve in differnt ways. i got a switch now when i'm frustrated i play my soccer game and when i kick the ball sometimes its someones head from real life. i've been scoring more lately.

my point is its not always noticeable.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who participated (@Maladi777, @Jes2G, @friendsfan367, @AudreyFld, @simscognito, @InfraGreen, @lisabee2) this week in joining Book Club for the tasty read with @xJojox (If I missed anyone, apologies). Whether you were able to read many chapters or just one or even just to pop in and show your support, we appreciate it.

Qufq.gif
    One final sweet treat!

Any final thoughts on Chasing Hearts and/or Sean?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who participated (@Maladi777, @Jes2G, @friendsfan367, @AudreyFld, @simscognito, @InfraGreen, @lisabee2) this week in joining Book Club for the tasty read with @xJojox (If I missed anyone, apologies). Whether you were able to read many chapters or just one or even just to pop in and show your support, we appreciate it.

Qufq.gif
    One final sweet treat!

i haven't actually read it yet i was just responding to what jes said.
  • Options

Qufq.gif
    One final sweet treat!

Ahh sorry, I haven't contributed much this week. I'll give my thoughts tonight. I've got a bit of time then.
  • Options
    Sorry if the answers are brief. I have no internet at the moment. :(

Yes. I believe so.

From what I can tell, he's a bit of a player. Guess it's in the title. :D But I don't think it's just that. I get the feeling that there's someone quite complicated, someone hurting underneath.

Yes, I can tell. I can see he's putting a lot more pressure on himself to fulfill his father's expectations. I guess being more of a playboy is linked as well.

I agree with friendsfan. People grieve in different ways. For me, I play the piano.

Chasing Hearts has POV's from many characters in later chapters, does it help you understand the story more, or do you think it needs to stay with Sean so we can understand him more?

I don't think I've read that far yet, but I do love multiple POVs. XD It's great because you get multiple perspectives of the events in the story.
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I'm excited that my story, Darkness May Dream will be featured this week and next. For those of you who don't know, the story is over on Tumblr here. If you don't have Tumblr/can't comment on Tumblr, but want to, you can obviously discuss here or discuss in the WordPress post I have created here.

That's all. You may resume.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I'm excited that my story, Darkness May Dream will be featured this week and next. For those of you who don't know, the story is over on Tumblr here. If you don't have Tumblr/can't comment on Tumblr, but want to, you can obviously discuss here or discuss in the WordPress post I have created here.

That's all. You may resume.

Happy to be your host too. As usual, any reading questions can be forwarded to me and I should have a few of my own too.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    I guess I'll do a separate post for a first guiding discussion question: even if you haven't started Darkness May Dream yet, what are you pre-conceived ideas and opinions about vampire fiction? Vampire simlit?

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Yayyy! I love this story!
  • Options
    how can darkness dream. its not a living thing?

i promise i'm not asking to be mean. as adamandeve knows i use oppertunites to improve my own writing by asking questions.

but i always wondered how she came up with the title because its creative. :)
  • Options
    @simscognito thankyou for reading.

@AdamsEve1231 is this story new or a continuation of another?
  • Options
    Yayyy! I love this story!

That makes two of us. :p
    how can darkness dream. its not a living thing?

i promise i'm not asking to be mean. as adamandeve knows i use oppertunites to improve my own writing by asking questions.

but i always wondered how she came up with the title because its creative. :)

I always thought that Darkness was just a way to refer to Mal or perhaps the entire Kr'v race. But I'd love to hear the truth from @AdamsEve1231 of course.

(Also my own answer to my discussion question is...I didn't read much vampire fiction before this and Fangs for the Memories. Very much a study in contrast!)

outrun / blog / tunglr