Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Woo finally sneaked a reading session at work. ;)

1) So, what did this tasty read taste like? Lapsang-souchong-chamomile with a side taste of imminent demise? Or something else?

Ripu's writing is like matcha: exceptional craft and taste and it's something I almost never have the time for. :p

In all seriousness, your writing and atmosphere is very deep and lush and a lot of things have that kind of taste and mouthfeel. This includes visuals and you did a great job translating it to TS4 (more on that later!)

2) Is there something that really draws you in? What?

Having read some of your stuff before of course (and for a long time now! Long breaks notwithstanding :tongue:), I always appreciate how you balance...everything. The poetic writing and contemplative scenes don't overshadow the actual plot, the colorful visuals don't take away from darker moments, the whimsical atmosphere from The Sims itself doesn't stop me from taking it seriously, etc. There's a lot of personality and character to everyone too. You have a great way of writing characters who aren't m0r0ns of course but have places where they are lost and way out of their depth, like we all are. "Waking Up" didn't really explore that part of Tad but I love that about him in Chrysanthemum Tango. But I definitely got that feel from Sonny (duh, since he's newly dead) so we're still off to a great start. :p

Also there's this very dry, sarcastic sense of humor that permeates your stories and it makes even the quietest moments fun to read and very distinctive. I can act like I'm here for serious works but I secretly like to laugh even more. :p
    All I can say is :blush: thank you so much! :blush: You're too kind, and I'm so glad you appreciate my sense of humour, which I often feel very cautious about because I know it's not for everyone. :)

Also I too really like smart characters who are often confused or stumped by something, because aren't we all? I personally find it really annoying to see intelligent characters depicted as people who are always on top of things and can do no wrong, because that makes them seem less like people. Well, in this story's case, Tad for example isn't exactly "people", but whatever. :smiley:

I know you love Tad (don't we all!) so I can see this being more of a Death-focused story. And even if not on him, on the lore of being dead on his terms. Other Ambrosia Challenges like to look at their humans more.

Speaking of them, Carol already has a curious streak, like letting a stranger like Sonny into her life. If she's the focal human then I can't see her keeping Sonny's ghost as much of a secret like others do. Or giving up on him at a point in her life like Lucas from Dust to Dust did (#TeamMel forever though).
    I'm trying very hard not to feature Tad too much, though I know I can't resist putting him in more and more chapters once the making of the Ambrosia begins. I'm already super excited about the heir meeting the Reaper -scene... even though I'm not nearly there in terms of story! But yeah, this will have a lot of stuff happening in the world of the dead, and there will not only be interaction between the dead and Death, but also between the dead themselves.

So my question for you: Best and worst parts about switching between TS3 and TS4. And I know you've discussed it some answers but it's a subject I heavily relate to. :p

From a reader's perspective you look like a total natural in it. And Tad looks about as right as he could in TS4. There's less room for sims who are ugly or look off, which is a blessing for a lot of people, but ugly isn't always without purpose or unintentional. It's why right now I'm having a great time not reusing any characters for TS4. I have a few old Cicadas characters made for TS4 but they're mocking me with their new...pretty faces. :p
    Thank you! I'm glad you think I'm doing okay. In terms of storytelling, what I like about TS4 is the variety of in-game animations and the variety CAS can achieve (though I personally think TS3-CAS was very good at that too). I also like the look of the worlds and the lighting system. Some of the objects and activities give really good photo opportunities too.

The worst parts are the lack of some basic storytelling "tools", such as the inability of the moveobjects-cheat to move Sims, and I have to resort to the teleporter-mod if I want to move my Sims around in less conventional ways (if anyone knows a better way to do it, then please tell me!). I also HATE the emotion buffs (I'm not too fond of the easily manipulated emotion-system in general either) some of the objects give. Mostly because a lot of those awesome flowers I want to use in Death's garden are giving off a flirty aura, which kind of completely ruins the mood of playing my garden-lots (I know it's hilarious, but it's still annoying).

Also I had to mod the creepy happy smiles from the people's faces. :D Sorry, but I'm from a melancholic country where smiling like that in public is suspicious at best. :D

Also yeah, TS4 looks a bit too... clean and pretty (though man, the landscapes are great!). It works mostly well for Forget-Me-Not, since it takes place in the same universe as Tango, and Tango has always had intentionally bright and cutesy visuals. But Tad... didn't translate easily, since he's... well, he is sort of pretty (according to my perhaps odd aesthetic preferences) in TS3 too, but in a very uncanny valley -sort of way, and the TS4-uncanny valley is in a very different kind of place than the TS3-one.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    Well, the sims in sims 3 look soooo different than the ones in sims 4! I can understand how hard it must have been to get the looks right...
    I don't really like the looks of sims in sims 3, but I'll definitely check your other story too, because the summary seems interesting :D
    I hope you'll like it. And thank you! :)

My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    @RipuAncestor First, I must say, I adore your writing style, and I was super excited to read Forget-Me-Not.

1) So, what did this tasty read taste like? Lapsang-souchong-chamomile with a side taste of imminent demise? Or something else?
    I read the Prologue first and then this chapter so it gave me some context. I'm going to differ from what most people are saying, and state I felt it tasted hopeful... and if hope had a taste, I'd say honey because this chapter had a feeling of richness and vibrancy, along with the slowly hitting realization that Sonny is deceased. I can imagine moving through a pool of honey would be difficult and heavy, perhaps sweet, and yet dreamy and drowsy. I have a feeling it might be as slow-as-molasses for him to accept reality, and that you'll make us wait a good long while before he receives closure (and that's totally okay).

However, given how much I adore Tad. *squee* okay, adore is not a strong enough word... SimSquish Tad... lol... I know Sonny will be okay in this strange afterlife ghost-like existence, even if like you said, Ripu, that this is ten years before the events of Tango. So this chapter felt like a cup of tea, that's maybe cooled off a bit, but is flavored and filled with honey. And Tad's casual "good morning" seemed so perfectly divergent with the dark purples and the ominous mood.
    :blush: Thank you so much!

2) Is there something that really draws you in? What? 3) What kind of feel do you get from the characters from this short sample?
    I'm going to combine these two questions. In the Prologue, it was the impending demise and wondering who the heck Sonny was. In this tasty read, it's Sonny's consciousness - his confusion and bewilderment, his concerns, the slightly off sensations of being dead... and Death, sipping tea, on a tree stump among the bright colors and flowers did give off an Wonderland-esque vibe to it as some have said above, a strange sort-of parallel universe coupled with a shaking feeling of "oh god! oh god! where am I?" Since I love fairy tales, and I like fantasy with a twist (preferably on the mysterious and dark side, haha!), I was particularly excited by this selection.
    Dark-ish fairytales/fantasy are definitely in my comfort zone, and I think this story will inevitably become like that too. :D

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! You're so awesome!
    My Sims stories:
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i just read the tasty read. i still agree with what cathtea said the visuals are great. i think everything draws me in i was in the middle before i realized what had happened.

i'm trying not to spoil itfor others. trip accused me of doing that last week but later i pointed out she had already told the part i spoiled. :)
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Ooh I'm not good with tastes... but I'll try. I'm gonna say green apple. Bittersweet, my favourate flavour when it comes to both writing and apples! The bitterness obviously comes from how sad this situation is. Poor Sonny. The sweetness from both the screenshots and the writing, both of which are rich in description and very beautiful.

2) Is there something that really draws you in? What?
    As soon as I saw Tad I did a little jump. I love reapers, I got two myself xD Now Tad sitting in that lighting among those flowers is just... wow.
    Everything about this chapter, the screenshots, the writing and the situation, gives off a fairy tale-like feel, like what @AdamsEve1231 said. It's enchanting. I'm sold.

3) What kind of feel do you get from the characters from this short sample?
    See above answer for what I think of Tad. He seems to be the same himself from the beginning of Chrysanthemum Tango. A little distant and reserved but friendly. I love his character.
    Sonny is confused, and rightly so. It can't be easy waking up in the afterlife with amnesia. Still, he retained his temper, and even as a ghost I feel like he'll have quite the character. I shall read on, and find out if that is the case :smiley:

4) Are you familiar with the Ambrosia Challenge? I feel like all of the stories in the challenge so far have had their own cool twists that make them their own things despite following a set of pretty strict rules. What do you think might set my story apart from the other stories about the challenge?
    I've read Dust to Dust (the classic). Unfortunately I haven't found any others.
    In D2D even scenes with the reaper felt very grounded and real. In Forget-Me-Not, they give a drifting, dreamy quality. They are very different in tone, and though they may be from the same challenge, the way the story is delivered is one thing that sets them apart. As for how the plot unfolds, I'm going to read more to find out!

That being said, would it be alright if I ever drew fanart of your stories? :smiley:
    i just read the tasty read. i still agree with what cathtea said the visuals are great. i think everything draws me in i was in the middle before i realized what had happened.
    :blush: Thank you, @friendsfan367 ! It sounds like you really got drawn in. :) I'm glad.
    My Sims stories:
    edited February 2018
    @chalicen
    chalicen wrote: »
    3) What kind of feel do you get from the characters from this short sample?
    See above answer for what I think of Tad. He seems to be the same himself from the beginning of Chrysanthemum Tango. A little distant and reserved but friendly. I love his character.
    Sonny is confused, and rightly so. It can't be easy waking up in the afterlife with amnesia. Still, he retained his temper, and even as a ghost I feel like he'll have quite the character. I shall read on, and find out if that is the case :smiley:
    Sonny did keep his temper in check admirably, especially considering his hotheaded trait. :) He may have been too confused and scared to really get angry.

That being said, would it be alright if I ever drew fanart of your stories? :smiley:
    Oh my! I would be so flattered and honoured :blush: ! So yes, it would be okay.
    My Sims stories:
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    @CathyTea remind me what is Coffee hour again?
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited February 2018
    :blush: Thank you, @friendsfan367 ! It sounds like you really got drawn in. :) I'm glad.

i was in the middle beforei realized what the post was about. i think as long as i don't see grim i'll be fine

grim reminds me of the dementors in harry potter.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @CathyTea remind me what is Coffee hour again?

What are Coffee Hour readings? These are longer works that we will spend two weeks on: Week One - reading, submitting questions, and informal conversations; and Week Two: Coffee Hour Conversations

i found the explanation. their cathteas words i just copied it.
    @friendsfan367 Yeah but I still need to know what Coffee Hour itself since in late April I'm the Coffee Hour host..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @friendsfan367 Yeah but I still need to know what Coffee Hour itself since in late April I'm the Coffee Hour host..

Hi, @MadameLee ! @friendsfan367 Thank you for answering! :)

So, Magna, it works like this:

For two weeks, we focus on a featured reading. The first week, we read it and talk about it informally. During that time, readers pose questions that we'll talk about during Coffee Hour. They can either post the questions here on this thread, tagging the Coffee Hour Host (which will be you! :) ), or they can PM the questions to you.

Then, during the second week, it's Coffee Hour! All week long! And so, during that week, the Coffee Hour Host (which will be you :) ) poses questions here for the writer and readers to answer. If people have shared questions (either here on this thread or to you through PM), then you can use those questions. You can also present questions of your own and invite readers and the writer to share questions. The main function of the Coffee Hour host (which will be you! :) ) is to welcome readers and the writer and to keep the conversation going.

Last week, the Coffee Hour host wasn't able to make it, and we did a great job just being our own hosts, so it's OK if you get busy and need to skip a day or two. Also, by the time it's your turn, we'll have had a few more turns where the host does show up, so you'll get some models of how it works.

Then, the week after Coffee Hour, we have a one week interlude, Tasty Reads, where we read a shorter selection chosen by the writer. This week is a Tasty Read week! :)

Next week, we'll go back a two-week feature.

I hope this helps, and if you still have questions, please ask! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

For two weeks, we focus on a featured reading. The first week, we read it and talk about it informally. During that time, readers pose questions that we'll talk about during Coffee Hour. They can either post the questions here on this thread, tagging the Coffee Hour Host (which will be you! :) ), or they can PM the questions to you.

Then, during the second week, it's Coffee Hour! All week long! And so, during that week, the Coffee Hour Host (which will be you :) ) poses questions here for the writer and readers to answer. If people have shared questions (either here on this thread or to you through PM), then you can use those questions. You can also present questions of your own and invite readers and the writer to share questions. The main function of the Coffee Hour host (which will be you! :) ) is to welcome readers and the writer and to keep the conversation going.

Last week, the Coffee Hour host wasn't able to make it, and we did a great job just being our own hosts, so it's OK if you get busy and need to skip a day or two. Also, by the time it's your turn, we'll have had a few more turns where the host does show up, so you'll get some models of how it works.

Then, the week after Coffee Hour, we have a one week interlude, Tasty Reads, where we read a shorter selection chosen by the writer. This week is a Tasty Read week! :)

Thanks I just will need to keep an eye on the Coffee Hour business just to see how it works..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think I'm next week @MadameLee and I promise you I will certainly be present, so you can see how it's done, although this will be my first time too. :)
    I think I'm next week @MadameLee and I promise you I will certainly be present, so you can see how it's done, although this will be my first time too. :)

Yep you're are next week (well technically next 3 weeks, since it's 2 weeks of reading, and then Coffee Hour week)
    6adMCGP.gif

your welcome.

Yep you're are next week (well technically next 3 weeks, since it's 2 weeks of reading, and then Coffee Hour week)

the first week is reading and informal talk the second is the coffee hour. 2 weeks.
    Hi, Book Clubbers! I had a really fun time talking about @RipuAncestor 's story with you and hearing your responses! I'd wanted to participate more during the week, but it was a very challenging week for me at the office, so I had to conserve energy.

Ripu, thanks for being a fantastic Tasty Read! I hope that this was fun for you!

As a wrap-up, readers, would you like to share what you find most inspiring about Ripu's writing?

For me, it's the beautiful tone, which makes me feel cozy, intrigued, inspired, comforted, a little on edge, happy, melancholy, and wistful, all at once! It feels like sitting down to a very thick book with engraved leather covers and that old-book scent, with a touch of Ceylon cinnamon!

I often feel writer's envy when I read Ripu's writing, and this spurs me on to figure out how she does what she does. I still don't know, and that inspires me even more!

(Feel free to answer this for you on into next week, as our Coffee Hour won't start until the week after, and a little overlap can provide a lovely transition!)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    And... this week, we begin our next two-week feature, Chain Reaction by @mypalsim1 .

As a reminder, the two-week feature works like this:

This week - read the work (or reread/review if you're current) and chat informally here in this thread, sharing ideas, questions, responses, and reader's gossip! :)

When you have questions that you'd like to have included in our Coffee Hour conversation, send them to our Coffee Hour Host, @simscognito , or post them here, tagging Cog.

Next week - Coffee Hour (all week long), which is a guided conversation, led by @simscognito using the questions you've supplied and questions generated by the host. Questions can be for the writer and for the readers.

Have fun! :)

Hi, Book Clubbers! I had a really fun time talking about @RipuAncestor 's story with you and hearing your responses! I'd wanted to participate more during the week, but it was a very challenging week for me at the office, so I had to conserve energy.

Ripu, thanks for being a fantastic Tasty Read! I hope that this was fun for you!

As a wrap-up, readers, would you like to share what you find most inspiring about Ripu's writing?

For me, it's the beautiful tone, which makes me feel cozy, intrigued, inspired, comforted, a little on edge, happy, melancholy, and wistful, all at once! It feels like sitting down to a very thick book with engraved leather covers and that old-book scent, with a touch of Ceylon cinnamon!

I often feel writer's envy when I read Ripu's writing, and this spurs me on to figure out how she does what she does. I still don't know, and that inspires me even more!

(Feel free to answer this for you on into next week, as our Coffee Hour won't start until the week after, and a little overlap can provide a lovely transition!)
    Thank you so much for this! I was a bit worried since this was a new thing and I wasn't sure if I'd got things right, but it all went really well. And you guys are too kind! Thank you again for all of your awesome comments! This was a lot of fun and cheered me up when I needed a bit of kindness. :)

Also as to how I do what I do... I have no idea. I just write, I guess. :confused: And then keep being amazed people think it's good.
    My Sims stories:
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Ok, I'm here!! I've been looking forward to this one....I am all caught up with CR!
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

I'd like to share too before moving on!

English is my second language, like it is for @RipuAncestor . I'm always insecure about my lack of vocab and English expressions, which I would have picked up growing up if English was my first language. However, when RipuAncestor writes, it's not only beautiful, but it gets everything across to the reader. I can't say anything about our respective English skills, but I never would have guessed it was her second language. It's inspiring to know I could be like that too. Thank you. I'll keep trying :)
    I hope none of this comes off as offensive in any way. I absolutely love your writing, and I'm eagerly awaiting more.

I'd like to share too before moving on!

English is my second language, like it is for @RipuAncestor . I'm always insecure about my lack of vocab and English expressions, which I would have picked up growing up if English was my first language. However, when RipuAncestor writes, it's not only beautiful, but it gets everything across to the reader. I can't say anything about our respective English skills, but I never would have guessed it was her second language. It's inspiring to know I could be like that too. Thank you. I'll keep trying :)
    I hope none of this comes off as offensive in any way. I absolutely love your writing, and I'm eagerly awaiting more.

Your English is awesome, too, @chalicen , and, as with Ripu, I never would have guessed it wasn't your home language!

@chalicen You're not a native speaker either? I wouldn't have guessed! You speak English so well! And thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad I can somehow be inspirational. :blush:
    My Sims stories:
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi guys! I'm Cog who's going to be the host for next week and was just wondering how we're all going with @mypalsim1's Chain Reaction? I'm unfortunately having internet issues, so will come back with my response later when I have a better connection, but to be super generic, I am really enjoying it. :)

So, how are you guys liking it? Doesn't have to be very in depth, since this is the informal discussion week, but I must say, I'm loving the range of writing styles we've got over the past few weeks.

Also, feel free to tag me in on any questions you have for readers or/and writers.

Looking forward to this discussion. :)