Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Oh! Ashes to Ashes! I'm excited. Except I never finished Dust to Dust. I'm so far behind. :# I've had trouble keeping up with everyone's stories and finishing due to my schedule and other priorities, but I'll try to participate as I can. I really like @CitizenErased14's writing. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Haha no worries about the dates not lining up @CathyTea ! It’s fine :tongue:

@Simslover163 and I had talked previously and I believe the focus will be the first half (about 50 chapters) of Generation 6 :)

Thank you! I’m looking forward to this :blush: (and Simslover, CT is right — no pressure at all if you aren’t able to host! It will work out no matter what :blush:)
    Haha no worries about the dates not lining up @CathyTea ! It’s fine :tongue:

@Simslover163 and I had talked previously and I believe the focus will be the first half (about 50 chapters) of Generation 6 :)

Thank you! I’m looking forward to this :blush:

Fantastic! OK!

So, the selection for the next two weeks is the first half of generation 6.

Our Coffee Hour host will be @Simslover163 ! :)

This week, we'll have a more informal conversation, sharing your responses, thoughts, first and second impressions, and anything you'd like to talk about! If you've read the whole work, feel free to talk about all of it, too!

Then, next week, @Simslover163 will guide a more focused conversation around specific question for the writer and for readers. If you've got questions you'd like to talk about, you can PM them to @Simslover163 or just post them here.

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Yess. This is my favourite generation so far, so yay! XD
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Thank you for all the info @CathyTea ! :blush:

@simscognito I’m glad you’re excited! :heart: Harper’s gen was most certainly a doozy!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hi everyone! I'm Simslover163, who will be your Coffee Hour host. We'll be discussing the first half of Gen 6 of Ashes to Ashes by @CitizenErased14! Just a reminder you still have time to PM me questions for Coffee Hour, which is next Monday. Coffee Hour is when the host asks questions to the readers and the writer.

There's also stil time to have an informal conversation about the story.

I hope you'll join us for a fun conversation about this dramatic story! :)
    Post edited by Simslover163 on
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    Excited to see how this all works! :)
    edited June 2018
    @haswh I’m glad you’re so excited! :heart: Basically right now, there isn’t really any structured sort of thing. People are just free to have a general sort of chat about the story (though it looks like most people are waiting til coffee hour, which is fine!)

Also, if people have a discussion question for either me or the other readers, they can post it here or PM it to @Simslover163 before Monday. Then starting Monday, Simslover will share discussion questions here, and it will last all through next week :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @haswh I’m glad you’re so excited! :heart: Basically right now, there isn’t really any structured sort d thing. People are just free to have a general sort of chat about the story (though it looks like most people are waiting til coffee hour, which is fine!)

Also, if people have a discussion question for either me or the other readers, they can post it here or PM it to @Simslover163 before Monday. Then starting Monday, Simslover will share discussion questions here, and it will last all through next week :blush:

hi cute little weirdo.

cathteas not here. :)
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    You picked a great generation for this! Harper's generation was one of the most controversial of all of your generations! Kudos for choosing her generation. :) I can't wait to see how it goes.
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Harper is one of my favorite heirs in this story! I think I'm noticing a trend where I really love the female heirs. My three favorites are Mari, Jocelyn, and now Harper.

I just wanted to hug her like all the time. I can't wait to talk about how she tried to recover from the way she was raised. Let's he honest here, Zayne and Hope didn't do that great as parents, though I know they parented with love and good intentions.

I'm definitely writing a few questions for coffee hour!
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Harper is one of my favorite heirs in this story! I think I'm noticing a trend where I really love the female heirs. My three favorites are Mari, Jocelyn, and now Harper.

I just wanted to hug her like all the time. I can't wait to talk about how she tried to recover from the way she was raised. Let's he honest here, Zayne and Hope didn't do that great as parents, though I know they parented with love and good intentions.

Yes me too. My favourite heirs are the females'. I think they just have a tougher time, tbh.
    I've noticed that all three of them at some point have been let down by their family and have suffered the consequences of it.
    Thank you @cecerose0208 :heart: Harper is one of my personal favorites too, despite how frustrating she was to write!

Zayne and Hope definitely didn’t do their daughter any favors... But you’re right that it all came from a place of love and good intentions. I always have a hard time trying to talk about their parenting, because I hate using the phrase “bad parents”. That phrase always brings to mind neglect or abuse and a lack of love or caring. But that wasn’t the case here. It was just... a really ineffective approach that ended up shaping their daughter in a really negative way... :/

I’m looking forward to the discussion! :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member

This is so true. As parents, we try our best and want to protect our children from hurt and pain. But what we sometimes forget is, that a little disappointment as children helps you grow into a well rounded adult, able to make appropriate decisions. Of course Harper’s disability compounded things and they became super loving helicopter parents to the max and smothered their daughter enabling her to feel entitled and nothing felt satisfying to her. So I need to go and review the chapters that we will be covering!
    edited June 2018
    @simscognito Haha what you say is so true... and I promise you that it’s not intentional either! I wonder if part of it is because I’m a female myself, so it’s a lot easier for me to feel comfortable writing vulnerability and deep emotion from a female perspective. It’s something that just feels so much easier to tap into with the girls than the guys, so it makes it easier to give deeper/more serious challenges to my female heirs... I can’t really explain it! But the pattern might change with Phoenix and the gen 8 heiress, who knows? :tongue:

@AudreyFld I love that you were able to share some insights on HoZay’s parenting, since you are a parent yourself. I think Hope and Zayne did exactly what you said — they tried so hard to protect their child from pain... but took it too far, and ended up causing a lot more pain than they prevented :/
    snvAF3B.png
    AudreyFld wrote: »

This is so true. As parents, we try our best and want to protect our children from hurt and pain. But what we sometimes forget is, that a little disappointment as children helps you grow into a well rounded adult, able to make appropriate decisions. Of course Harper’s disability compounded things and they became super loving helicopter parents to the max and smothered their daughter enabling her to feel entitled and nothing felt satisfying to her. So I need to go and review the chapters that we will be covering!

my sister in law well former sister in law is like that shes a hoverer. when i got in the car today mom told me a story about my niece graduating kindergarten. but thats all it was a story my niece made up to see her dad. my brother. that made happy and sad. happy he got to see her and sad that she felt she had to make something up to see him.

theres another story involving a dad/daughter dance thats also sad. but i'll save that for now.

no Amanda i Wasn't late for work. it was hard tearing myself away though. :)
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I never remember, but when exactly does coffee hour start?
    I never remember, but when exactly does coffee hour start?

according to what you told me when you hosted the second week.
    @cecerose0208 I think technically tomorrow? Is that right @Simslover163 ? :)
    snvAF3B.png
    @cecerose0208 and @CitizenErased14 Yes, tomorrow is Coffee Hour. :)
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
    @cecerose0208 and @CitizenErased14 Yes, tomorrow is Coffee Hour. :)

yeah i'm here tomorrow. and i've been binge reading. yesterday i almost forgot about work.
    edited June 2018
    Greetings, everyone! It's time for Coffee Hour! We'll be discussing the first half of Generation 6 of Ashes to Ashes by @CitizenErased14! Hope you're excited!

Questions for @CitizenErased14 (submitted by @cecerose0208)

1) How would Harper be different if her brother had not died?

2) I love how all of Harper's close friends are a little (or a lot) queer, it mimics what I see in the group dynamics of my queer friends. What was your thought process when choosing her friends' genders and sexuality?

3) Why did Harper, who always had an interest in writing, take so long to begin to share her stuff with the world?

Questions for the readers (also submitted by @cecerose0208)

1) If you could change one mistake Harper made in her younger years, what would you change and how?

2) Let's pick another person for Harper to marry other than Devin. Who are you shipping?

3) Remember when Harper got confronted by her family after Rylie and Devin ratted her out to her parents? If you were Devin and Rylie, would you have done what they did?
    sEgXZ52.jpg
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @Simslover163 Have you got those questions the right way around? I feel as those the first set would be for CitizenErased14.. :)
    edited June 2018
    @Simslover163 Thanks for sharing those questions from @cecerose0208 ! :blush:

I’ll come back later on to answer them! :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
    @Bugsie2016 Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
    sEgXZ52.jpg
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    1) If you could change one mistake Harper made in her younger years, what would you change and how?
    Probably, not punching Katie. It's really the only thing I can think of that doesn't have that much affect on the story. Harper would still hate Katie as she was a bully but she wouldn't have got into trouble for it. Although, it could be seen as having an affect on the story as it was Hope and Zayne realising a little that their daughter isn't as perfect as they thought she was but it doesn't truly open their eyes so not too bad if it hadn't happened.

2) Let's pick another person for Harper to marry other than Devin. Who are you shipping?
    Erm, Rylie. SS Harlie was my other ship in the beginning although, I shipped SS Harvin more.

3) Remember when Harper got confronted by her family after Rylie and Devin ratted her out to her parents? If you were Devin and Rylie, would you have done what they did?
    When they found out about her taking Joce's money? Simple answer, yes. If I was them, and worried about how she was getting money then I would go to her parents and ask them to back up her story. Because they would know, as they live with Joce.