Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    Ohhh!! I just noticed week 2 is up... I may have to get started! :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Jes2G wrote: »
    Speaking of morality....Another thing about Grace is that she's an example of what could happen without any kind of moral guidance. She was pretty much rotting away in that orphanage for 18 years with no loving, guiding hand to teach her right from wrong. True, after a certain age everyone knows stealing, killing, etc. is wrong, but...I can see how it would be easy for her to drift to the dark side.

Yes, I feel this way entirely about her. I find that chapter of her as a teen so heart-breaking, actually. In fact, the shift after she hears her friend lie... all of that really breaks my heart. This sweet, innocent girl, and then, she just hardens in hate.

I really feel that it shows what can happen with neglect and without being loved. I almost can't even think about the story because I find it so heart-breaking--I do that thing I do with "Willow's Way" sometimes where I just focus on a little detail, like looking for the calico cat, or thinking how cute Chompy is, or thinking about the train, all so that I don't have to actually think and feel what is really going on, which is just so painful.

"Shut up, Stuart!" (See? I am a lot like Colleen!)

I honestly don't think I could ever do that. As odd as it may sound I like the pain. When a story can make my heart ache, or make me really feel for the character, or make me cry, or best of all just leave me sitting there in shock thinking about what just happened, then that is a moment that the story really hits a new level for me. Those are the moments in stories I live for.

That's actually how I gauge my own writing as well. If I can make myself feel while writing even knowing whats going to happen ahead of time then I feel like I have succeeded as a writer.

edit: And sorry, I just realized I got off topic when this is supposed to be about the weeks stories. My apologies.

I think it's cool to go off-topic when talking about something on-topic leads you there, so please do post what you edited out, if you'd like to share.

When I mentioned on the first page that this is an on-topic thread, I just meant that it's not a place where we'd be having random conversations about cupcakes, blueberries, tea, and kittens--now if our reading discussion leads us to talk about those topics, it's another thing entirely!

So I'd say, feel free to develop and explore any and all ideas that are generated from our discussions, and please share all that you're comfortable sharing.

Yes, I've been thinking about emotional pain in reading material because of the latest two issues of Willow's Way, and I realize that I have limitations in terms of my emotional bravery: I don't always have the courage needed--or the faith in my own resilience--to move through pain and I will often try to bypass or deflect this. This is a challenge for me.

In writing about Willow's Way, I thought how Colleen was at one point able to open up a space for her friend to move through the pain to a place of healing--and this is the approach I am cultivating in myself. It's a process.

In terms of writing, I so agree with you--Rory's talent (and yours) are evident in the ways that her (and your) writing make us feel!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Speaking of morality....Another thing about Grace is that she's an example of what could happen without any kind of moral guidance. She was pretty much rotting away in that orphanage for 18 years with no loving, guiding hand to teach her right from wrong. True, after a certain age everyone knows stealing, killing, etc. is wrong, but...I can see how it would be easy for her to drift to the dark side.

Yes, I feel this way entirely about her. I find that chapter of her as a teen so heart-breaking, actually. In fact, the shift after she hears her friend lie... all of that really breaks my heart. This sweet, innocent girl, and then, she just hardens in hate.

I really feel that it shows what can happen with neglect and without being loved. I almost can't even think about the story because I find it so heart-breaking--I do that thing I do with "Willow's Way" sometimes where I just focus on a little detail, like looking for the calico cat, or thinking how cute Chompy is, or thinking about the train, all so that I don't have to actually think and feel what is really going on, which is just so painful.

I honestly don't think I could ever do that. As odd as it may sound I like the pain. When a story can make my heart ache, or make me really feel for the character, or make me cry, or best of all just leave me sitting there in shock thinking about what just happened, then that is a moment that the story really hits a new level for me. Those are the moments in stories I live for.

That's actually how I gauge my own writing as well. If I can make myself feel while writing even knowing whats going to happen ahead of time then I feel like I have succeeded as a writer.

edit: And sorry, I just realized I got off topic when this is supposed to be about the weeks stories. My apologies.

I think it's cool to go off-topic when talking about something on-topic leads you there, so please do post what you edited out, if you'd like to share.

When I mentioned on the first page that this is an on-topic thread, I just meant that it's not a place where we'd be having random conversations about cupcakes, blueberries, tea, and kittens--now if our reading discussion leads us to talk about those topics, it's another thing entirely!

So I'd say, feel free to develop and explore any and all ideas that are generated from our discussions, and please share all that you're comfortable sharing.

Yes, I've been thinking about emotional pain in reading material because of the latest two issues of Willow's Way, and I realize that I have limitations in terms of my emotional bravery: I don't always have the courage needed--or the faith in my own resilience--to move through pain and I will often try to bypass or deflect this. This is a challenge for me.

In writing about Willow's Way, I thought how Colleen was at one point able to open up a space for her friend to move through the pain to a place of healing--and this is the approach I am cultivating in myself. It's a process.

In terms of writing, I so agree with you--Rory's talent (and yours) are evident in the ways that her (and your) writing make us feel!

I didn't edit anything out. I just added in an apology for going off topic.

edited July 2015
    Has anyone started week 2 yet?
    Post edited by RoryPlaysTheSims on
    I just reread F.I.S.H. and I was wondering if anyone saw anywhere if @Jes2G was going to continue with this story?
    I just reread F.I.S.H. and I was wondering if anyone saw anywhere if @Jes2G was going to continue with this story?

Oh, she posted here that YES, she is going to continue, and our excitement about it makes her even more excited to continue! I'm not sure where it fits in her current schedule, due to Boot Camp and Pruett stuff, but I'm sure updates will be coming! I'm even more excited for Juliana updates.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

I didn't edit anything out. I just added in an apology for going off topic.

Oh, Ok! I didn't see anything off-topic! It all looked on-topic to me!

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    @Munterbacon I spent a very enjoyable half-hour this morning with coffee and Ironbound. I just got through the party chapters. Wow!

When I finished reading, something has shifted in my brain chemistry! It sounds silly to say, perhaps, but I noticed it: I felt so happy and so inspired and so on fire with life! I am guessing that it was due to the engagement with the story and the pure of joy of reading.

I used to feel like this as a kid when I'd read an incredible book--I'd step away from reading with such a zest for life!

And that's how I felt this morning after reading Ironbound. Thank you, Munter, for writing that and sharing it with us.

I'm also (very) in awe of all the talent here in this corner of the forums. So many talented writers. Everybody's so kind, too, that it feels amazing to be part of this community.

And I'm back!

Reading this just sent a wave of warm-fuzzies right through me. I am so glad that you feel a part of the world, I get that whole brain chemistry thing, it happens to me a lot from reading books or playing out certain voice acted scenes in games. It's incredible that my little story installs that same kind of feeling that you got when you were a kid.

I'm blown away by the comments here and in the writers thread about it. Now it's my turn to comment so I'll scour through this thread and see what you're looking for.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    For me it would be @Munterbacon 's character, Korv! He makes my blood boil!!!! ;)

He's such a plum isn't he :p
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    I would say a character that stands out to me is Grace from @Rorygilmore34 story. Morality has always been a subject I've liked and Grace hits a nice balance of it for me. On one hand she's at heart a good person, but she's also got that rough edge to her because of all the things that have happened to her. She isn't perfect and she isn't completely good but that to me is part of what makes her an interesting character.

Also Shaela from @munterbacon story Ironbound. Though that is more to do with she is the type of strong and loyal character that I always enjoy in sci fi or fantasy stories.

Thank you. Shaela's strength is more to do with what she is. She was trained during a war and to her it's hard to switch that side of her off. I really want to showcase her softer side (I kind of did at the start), because she's all soft and squishy inside, she just struggles to show it =)
    dustshaela.jpg
    For me, Jess from @BabyDollAnne 's Freedom Family is really cool. She don't take no plum from Jon and his evil ways, I would really love to see how this character develops. And Grace from @Rorygilmore34's story just has a spark, she's a survivor!

On the note of the money you were discussing earlier. The way that I see it, it's not only karma coming to bite Ms. Derby, I see that money as technically Grace's anyway (I mean her crib was filled with money after all, and she had to live in terrible conditions while Ms. Derby lived in luxury).
    dustshaela.jpg
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I just caught up with @BabyDollAnne and I'm rally interested to see how it goes. You can tell there a lot of threads weaving around eachother like in real life. One thread pauses and then continues in another family.
    I really like Sunny. Perhaps because she wears yellow...lol. But I think she's got the potential to grow. I don't know why she picked that plum to date. She knew he was married and not wanting to divorce, the keeping secret bit, but she went for him anyway. And now she's got a kid and she knows he's a plum, so here's to hoping she figures out what she wants in life!
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    I just caught up with @BabyDollAnne and I'm rally interested to see how it goes. You can tell there a lot of threads weaving around eachother like in real life. One thread pauses and then continues in another family.
    I really like Sunny. Perhaps because she wears yellow...lol. But I think she's got the potential to grow. I don't know why she picked that plum to date. She knew he was married and not wanting to divorce, the keeping secret bit, but she went for him anyway. And now she's got a kid and she knows he's a plum, so here's to hoping she figures out what she wants in life!

I love her too, but I think theres more Sunny drama coming before the end of this story, lots. lots. more <3

And soon we'll be spending time with the Goth's and Newcrests, so lots of weaving about to happen! x

• moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    Theres two updates so far today for Freedom Family Legacy! If anyone interested: They're here!
    Also watch out for Jess' singing ;) x
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    I'm with @AuroraLockwood. I LOVE stories that make me emotionally involved--especially the ones that upset me. Feelings of anger or frustration are deeper for me. I'm sappy a lot, so it's not unusual for me to say that I "love" a story, I'm "in love" with a character, or it evokes amorous feelings. However, I don't get mad often, and when a story is compelling enough to upset me that way...man, that's a good story! I don't mind feeling upset because it's not something I often feel. It's kinda nice...in a weird way lol.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    edited July 2015
    For me, Jess from @BabyDollAnne 's Freedom Family is really cool. She don't take no plum from Jon and his evil ways, I would really love to see how this character develops. And Grace from @Rorygilmore34's story just has a spark, she's a survivor!

On the note of the money you were discussing earlier. The way that I see it, it's not only karma coming to bite Ms. Derby, I see that money as technically Grace's anyway (I mean her crib was filled with money after all, and she had to live in terrible conditions while Ms. Derby lived in luxury).

@Munterbacon Holy moly what an awesome point! The money was hers! It was in her crib! Man, I'm the writer and I didn't even see that! Ha! :)

@Munterbacon Holy moly what an awesome point! The money was hers! It was in her crib! Man, I'm the writer and I didn't even see that! Ha! :)

Stuff like that happens to me all the time. I remember showing my brother my short-story and the first paragraph was showing one of the characters peering down into the fighting pit from the stands. My brother came and said to me, "A slave wouldn't be allowed in the stands." Something that I completely didn't even think about.
    dustshaela.jpg
    @Munterbacon
    I just read the chapter where Leyva chooses her bond and I am SO excited and happy! I'm also so super happy that Shaela didn't die! And... the part where someone Shaela loved was calling to her while she was so severely ill, that was eerie to me. I had that happen myself before--not with a deceased lover, but with someone I loved who had died who wanted me to join him when I was very ill. It was eerie to read this in fiction.

@CathyTea
    Took awhile for that story line to pan out didn't it? But sometimes I do like to do what is not only right, but what is obvious (I just drag it out and keep you guessing). I never actually planned for her to get hurt, but when I created Sage things just escalated from there. As for the loved one, that is just how I imagined it would be if I was ever in that situation. It's actually kind of spooky hearing that this is accurate.

dustshaela.jpg
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Question: Is the spoiler tag supposed to become visible when you select the text (I've seen it like that elsewhere) or is it only visible when you quote it?
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
    Megg87 wrote: »
    Question: Is the spoiler tag supposed to become visible when you select the text (I've seen it like that elsewhere) or is it only visible when you quote it?

When you quote it.

• MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Megg87 wrote: »

When you quote it.
    Awesome. I thought maybe my browser was silly. :blush:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
    So how do I read a spoiler post? Nothing shows up on my phone.
    Season 1 of, The Legacy of the Sims ended today. :)
    So how do I read a spoiler post? Nothing shows up on my phone.

You need to quote it.