Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just from reading your posts

it sounds like Ambitions comes with a lot of unnecessary challenges.

Comments

• Options
    WooftheWolfieWooftheWolfie Posts: 388 Member
    It does. Everything is either boring or a challenge. That's basically how the expansion pack goes.
  • Options
    SimiLovaSimiLova Posts: 1,123 Member

I guess it depends on what you really want your character to do really. I mean I don't mind some of the challenges with the firefighter career. But yea as I said before with the doc one, sometimes it can be a touch annoying with the random sims suddenly needing medical attention every time they are on a lot for half a second. And although the money may be good and all for a family, playing super man is not quite what I want my sims doing all the time.
  • Options
    AriesSalvationAriesSalvation Posts: 143 Member
    SimiLova wrote: »

I guess it depends on what you really want your character to do really. I mean I don't mind some of the challenges with the firefighter career. But yea as I said before with the doc one, sometimes it can be a touch annoying with the random sims suddenly needing medical attention every time they are on a lot for half a second. And although the money may be good and all for a family, playing super man is not quite what I want my sims doing all the time.

So they can be a superhero in the game?
  • Options

Oh no, not literally. I was just equating the LTW of becoming a World Renowned Surgeon as being a super hero given how the game always sets it up for the doc sim to give medical attention to somebody or other, ALL the time they enter a lot. Like you even get the messages about "oh no, I don't feel well, I hope someone can help me...." none to subtle hint that the doc should step in.
  • Options

Oh no, not literally. I was just equating the LTW of becoming a World Renowned Surgeon as being a super hero given how the game always sets it up for the doc sim to give medical attention to somebody or other, ALL the time they enter a lot. Like you even get the messages about "oh no, I don't feel well, I hope someone can help me...." none to subtle hint that the doc should step in.

I'm sure I don't want that expansion pack. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options

I'm sure I don't want that expansion pack. Thanks for the feedback.

Alrighty then. I will add though real quick aside from the doc stuff, I enjoy it for the open hour career of investigating, and their actually being a store of sorts in the consignment shop where you can buy stuff from. That I find a nice help at times too.
  • Options
    InfoseekenInfoseeken Posts: 176 Member
    One of the best features of this EP is being able to register as Self Employed. This brings a greater level to Fishing, Gardening and several new careers the EP offers, as well as for some in other EPs (Band, Nectar Maker..etc.). These types of jobs you get to work YOUR hours, YOUR days as you see fit and without any reprecussions that most Rabbithole Base-game jobs force upon you if you mess up. You become your own boss.

If you like having your Sim(s) holding/working jobs as you see fit, and earning a lot more simoleons than normal, this EP is for you.
  • Options
    Infoseeken wrote: »
    One of the best features of this EP is being able to register as Self Employed. This brings a greater level to Fishing, Gardening and several new careers the EP offers, as well as for some in other EPs (Band, Nectar Maker..etc.). These types of jobs you get to work YOUR hours, YOUR days as you see fit and without any reprecussions that most Rabbithole Base-game jobs force upon you if you mess up. You become your own boss.

If you like having your Sim(s) holding/working jobs as you see fit, and earning a lot more simoleons than normal, this EP is for you.

So I suppose I could just have sims that aren't doctors.

• Options

Great points too! I only ever give my sims a regular job if they really want to have one. But I love the make your own hours options of working. Can be a far more family sim one way or another.
  • Options

Great points too! I only ever give my sims a regular job if they really want to have one. But I love the make your own hours options of working. Can be a far more family sim one way or another.

It's just like Sims 2 Open for Business where you get self employed. That's what I missed about Sims 2 Open for Business. I also liked it when you could put a few entertainment objects in your home and charge people to come hang out at your house!

• Options

It's just like Sims 2 Open for Business where you get self employed. That's what I missed about Sims 2 Open for Business. I also liked it when you could put a few entertainment objects in your home and charge people to come hang out at your house!

Yea, I did love doing that as well with regard to charging sims for the entertainment stuff. I had quite the challenge though running my businesses though. Cause It was like I rarely had sims that wanted to do it in the first place. And I could NEVER find that stinkin' podium for restaurants. I had looked all over the place and still could never find it anywhere!
  • Options
    AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    Until it started glitching (firefighter, ghosthunter & investigator the last time I tried), I actually enjoyed the ability to be with my Simmies while they work instead of waiting for them to come out of a rabbithole.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Well, there is plenty I like about Ambitions.
    Of the new skills that come with the pack, I love Inventing. There are some really handy inventions I love for my sims to have. For sims who garden a lot there is the Harvester, a handheld device like a leaf-blower but it operates in reverse and your sim can easily harvest everything harvestable within a decent radius in a short amount of time. It helps to make gardening a breeze. There are also devices which lay flat on the floor and are called Hygienators and will raise your sim's hygiene with intermittent little bursts of vapors. There is a miner you can make that can easily get you gems, or in my case a lot of sofas for some reason.

The folks of Twinbrook are indeed an odd lot so finding buried sofas isn't that big of a deal around those parts.

There is also a Time Machine, but I found that to be useless at best. It is a rabbit hole with text adventures, blah.

I love being able to register as self-employed. I have had plenty of fishermen and gardener sims. I've done the sculpting thing and it was kinda meh to me. Unless you fancy a toilet made of ice or a sculpture of your sim's friend in clay, or a metal chair.. there are some things, though. Decorative mostly.

The first career I ever had in the sims was a doctor. I hadn't tried it again since then until recently, Ambitions made that career a bit more fun. I liked going around town holding clinics, giving shots and making diagnoses. I have done the firefighter career many, many times. It is by far my favorite. Yeah, it is bugged a bit now seeing that small house fires cancel out of the queue but everything else works fine and it keeps my firefighter busy almost every day with something. I did the Architect career once but didn't care for it much, sims have odd tastes. I tried but never completed the Ghost Hunter career and I have never done the stylist. I also love the Investigator career, I have done that recently without any issues.

Love detonating. Blowing stuff up is fun.

There is a consignment shop where you can unload all your crap for some simoleons, or use your simoleons to buy some crap at a discounted price. Some great finds can be had there, including pink diamonds.
    You get the ability to purchase properties and make upgrades to them.
    You can make SimBots.
    One of the handier rewards is the Fireproof Homestead, so long as the sim who has it is living at the property, the property is safe from fires.
    Children can have Bake Sales, there is a trampoline, Laundry and Meteorites are introduced.

I use the build/buy stuff from that pack a LOT. I'd have bought it for that stuff alone, I use a lot of items in each and every build. It is without a doubt my most used pack when building. There are electronic frames of various sizes you can place your photographs in and use to decorate.

• Options
    Well, there is plenty I like about Ambitions.
    Of the new skills that come with the pack, I love Inventing. There are some really handy inventions I love for my sims to have. For sims who garden a lot there is the Harvester, a handheld device like a leaf-blower but it operates in reverse and your sim can easily harvest everything harvestable within a decent radius in a short amount of time. It helps to make gardening a breeze. There are also devices which lay flat on the floor and are called Hygienators and will raise your sim's hygiene with intermittent little bursts of vapors. There is a miner you can make that can easily get you gems, or in my case a lot of sofas for some reason.

The folks of Twinbrook are indeed an odd lot so finding buried sofas isn't that big of a deal around those parts.

There is also a Time Machine, but I found that to be useless at best. It is a rabbit hole with text adventures, blah.

I love being able to register as self-employed. I have had plenty of fishermen and gardener sims. I've done the sculpting thing and it was kinda meh to me. Unless you fancy a toilet made of ice or a sculpture of your sim's friend in clay, or a metal chair.. there are some things, though. Decorative mostly.

The first career I ever had in the sims was a doctor. I hadn't tried it again since then until recently, Ambitions made that career a bit more fun. I liked going around town holding clinics, giving shots and making diagnoses. I have done the firefighter career many, many times. It is by far my favorite. Yeah, it is bugged a bit now seeing that small house fires cancel out of the queue but everything else works fine and it keeps my firefighter busy almost every day with something. I did the Architect career once but didn't care for it much, sims have odd tastes. I tried but never completed the Ghost Hunter career and I have never done the stylist. I also love the Investigator career, I have done that recently without any issues.

Love detonating. Blowing stuff up is fun.

There is a consignment shop where you can unload all your crap for some simoleons, or use your simoleons to buy some crap at a discounted price. Some great finds can be had there, including pink diamonds.
    You get the ability to purchase properties and make upgrades to them.
    You can make SimBots.
    One of the handier rewards is the Fireproof Homestead, so long as the sim who has it is living at the property, the property is safe from fires.
    Children can have Bake Sales, there is a trampoline, Laundry and Meteorites are introduced.

I use the build/buy stuff from that pack a LOT. I'd have bought it for that stuff alone, I use a lot of items in each and every build. It is without a doubt my most used pack when building. There are electronic frames of various sizes you can place your photographs in and use to decorate.
    Thank you for this long detailed review.
  • Options
    lol, you're welcome. Sorry it was so all over the place. Hope you got something useful out of it.
  • Options
    girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    Laundry is something that didn't make sense to me when I got ambitions... I mean, it gives your sim a few nice moodlets, but other than that it's just kind of annoying. Especially because Bonehilda doesn't do laundry.
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    edited July 2015
    I personally think Ambitions adds a lot of really good gameplay including, as stated above, self-employment, new careers such as the Firefighter, Stylist and Architect. It adds new aspects to existing careers such as the doctor. It adds tattoos, makeovers, a new town and several items. If you don't want to deal with Laundry (which I often don't) just don't buy a laundry machine or a hamper. Put a laundromat in your neighbourhood if you want sims to get the moodlet for clean laundry. Personally, Ambitions was one of my favourite EPs because it added more of the type of gameplay that I enjoy which is more semi-realism. Granted, I don't want runaways, smoking, abortion, miscarriage, violence. I don't want hyper-realistic looking sims, but I don't generally enjoy fantasy type gameplay, so this was right up my alley. That said however, you do thave to 'babysit' sims in the new careers quite often, kind of like Showtime. Though, unlike Showtime, I did find that my sims would often just do their job as necessary even if I wasn't forcibly controlling them. Showtime, I literally had to babysit my sims the entire time they were on the job and I have since uninstalled that EP. It also adds at least one new hobby that can make sims money, even if you don't choose to be self-employed in them, like sculpting. I honestly can't remember if more were added but I found scuplting an excellent way to make extra money for sims.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    FloridaSimmerFloridaSimmer Posts: 358 Member
    If you want to find out more, You could look at LGR youtube page, If you have not! I think ihascupquake shows a bit of it also... Not sure thought!
    Origin: Floridasimmer

giphy.gif

• Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Another player who is trying to decide whether to get Ambitions here. I would love to have the self-employed option and the private investigator, stylist and inventor careers in my game. Also, Twinbrook sounds like an interesting town. I would, however, hate to have my Sims killed by a meteor. Is there a way to disable meteors?
  • Options
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    Another player who is trying to decide whether to get Ambitions here. I would love to have the self-employed option and the private investigator, stylist and inventor careers in my game. Also, Twinbrook sounds like an interesting town. I would, however, hate to have my Sims killed by a meteor. Is there a way to disable meteors?

I don't know about disabling them, but for most of us meteors are a rare occurrence. There is a warning pop up that gives you time to vacate the premises or take shelter. If you don't notice the pop up you very well could get hit and die - good idea to keep a deathflower in your inventory. I've gone literal years between meteors, playing frequently.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member

I don't know about disabling them, but for most of us meteors are a rare occurrence. There is a warning pop up that gives you time to vacate the premises or take shelter. If you don't notice the pop up you very well could get hit and die - good idea to keep a deathflower in your inventory. I've gone literal years between meteors, playing frequently.

Five minutes later Jessa_Dakkar's sim got hit by a meteor in her game and it killed her whole family.Even her pet squirrel and snake.

Fluffy and Mr.Squiggles you will be missed :'(

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    :)
    I think I'll probably get Ambitions after all, and risk it. The thing I'm slightly worried about is, if I get the meteor warning while my household is sleeping, will I be able to wake them up before it's too late? Because it takes very long to awake them if a burglar is in the house, if there's no alarm.
  • Options
    Good post. I wanted to add to the Time Machine since you may not be aware. It's possible to get new outfits from the past as well as from the future. These outfits become your Sim's daily outfits and are exclusive to only the Time Machine. They're really cool as well. There's also a chance that your Sim will come back with a new household member, a child that'll become either the daughter or son to the Sim who used the Time Machine.

Practically every time a Sim returns to the present, they'll bring something back with them. Some are awesome, others are so so. And of course there's moodlets. You don't have to be an inventor to get the TM, as it can be purchased at the consignment shop whenever it's listed for sale.

• Options
    I'm just posting again to say that I'm glad I got Ambitions after all. The firefighter career is incredibly fun to play, and there have been no meteors so far!
  • Options
    I'm just posting again to say that I'm glad I got Ambitions after all. The firefighter career is incredibly fun to play, and there have been no meteors so far!
    I have NEVER had a huge meteor event in any of my games...yet. And I was also informed that if you have your Sim use a telescope, there's a greater chance it could happen. I have my Sim searching the skies quite often just for the discoveries as well as hoping it will trigger the big event. Nadda still. The best I've gotten are popups stating that my Sim saw a meteor fall somewhere, and to check the map for its location. They're always the small ones that do no damage. Still waiting for the big one.

So while it's based on chance and also being a very low percentage of it happening, you should be safe for the most part.