Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Owning homes in foreign countries through the generations

Hi, I have a question. I'm playing a legacy, and my current Sim is an adventurer. She has a level 3 visa in Egypt, and is working on getting to level 3 in China and France, too. What I wanted to do was have her purchase a vacation home in each of the 3 locations, so that her descendants will have a nice, comfortable home to visit if they decide to go on vacation.

However, I'm playing with aging on, so my Sim is going to die eventually. What I want to know is other Sims who live in the household that she lives/lived in will be able to use the vacation homes that she buys once she is dead or not in the party. If I have to get each future Sim to a level 3 visa before they can stay in the vacation home, then I won't bother buying houses.

Thank you :)

Comments

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    The WA destination vacation homes are part of the household to which the Sim belongs. If s/he dies, then the others can use (and sell) the home no matter what their visa level. However, to buy a new home requires a Level 3 visa.

Of course, if they are moved to a new neighborhood, it will not have the same destinations (although they "look" the same). So, it's best for them to sell the vacation homes and any property in their neighborhood before you move them to a new one.
  • Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
    Thank you! Good to know, especially about moving to another neighborhood, since I was planning on moving them later on. I'll keep that in mind. :)
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    If you move towns using the in-game feature (telephone or computer), it will carry over your current files from the countries and University. This way you can move towns and keep your vacation homes as well. I just did it with mine earlier today.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    If you move towns using the in-game feature (telephone or computer), it will carry over your current files from the countries and University. This way you can move towns and keep your vacation homes as well. I just did it with mine earlier today.

That's good to know. I've never done it that way because whenever I've moved my Sims to another town, it's been because I needed to have them have a smaller file to avoid Error Code 12 (as I have a 32 bit system so my RAM access is limited.) So I generally save the family and house to the library and then start a new neighborhood. (I suspect if I used the in-game feature, I'd still have a big file.)

• Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member

Thanks for the additional info, I will keep this in mind. I might just use cheats or mods to reobtain the houses, though, if it keeps the save file size down.