Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Macs that have Intel Iris Graphics

Comments

• Options
    Aggieman999999Aggieman999999 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2016
    Nothing in Applications. I did find the Ox files. I had apparently moved the Sims 3 folder that had originally loaded into Applications to Documents. That's why nothing showed in applications when I checked. I have yet to modify them. Will this folder placement affect anything when I change them? Asking before I modify anything.

coll_0x62d2004288414320.package.sig: Is this a file that needs modification? Can't find any other files other than this and 50 others in a subfolder that have Ox in them and no file has the word card in front of it. Found the sims3.App file under the folder EA/Sim3/Sims3. I clicked it. I got the message "You cannot open the sims3.app. File may be damaged or incomplete." what now? What's an .MDMP file? Is the Graphics.sgr a separate programe file from the sims 3?
    Post edited by Aggieman999999 on
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Your game sounds like a mess!

You only need to change the two graphics sgr files I have mentioned. The instructions are extremely clear and concise. No, the sgr files are not a separate programme, they are part of the game files.

Have you thought about uninstalling and reinstalling? User data should be in your Documents folder, the game app should be in your Applications folder. It sounds like your problem, apart from having an incompatible Mac because of the unsupported Intel Iris graphics, is that your game is all over the place.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The sgr programme files seem nonexistant in my game files. Maybe I will reinstall, and this time have them in Applications not docs.
  • Options
    The sgr programme files seem nonexistant in my game files. Maybe I will reinstall, and this time have them in Applications not docs.

If they weren't there your game wouldn't load at all. You're right clicking the game app and then clicking Show Package Contents and following the exact file path, as described in my guide -

Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    There is no transgamimg folder in my Sims 3 folders or on my hardrive, so I can't follow that exact path. I moved my sims files to the Apps folders. Here are some photos of my stored files in both apps and documents. Before I try uninstall and reinstall, anything else I can do here? And why are there 2 folders marked Sims 3?

Sims%20Files%202_zpsxkemubma.jpg

SIMS%20Apps%201_zpssyjqaoda.jpg

SIms%20Apps%202_zpsqf0ka7wk.jpg
    Post edited by Aggieman999999 on
  • Options
    There is no transgamimg folder in my Sims 3 folders or on my hardrive, so I can't follow that exact path. I moved my sims files to the Apps folders. Here are some photos of my stored files in both apps and documents. Before I try uninstall and reinstall, anything else I can do here? And why are there 2 folders marked Sims 3?]

This Sims 3 folder can be trashed:
    SIMS%20Apps%201_zpssyjqaoda.jpg

And the Sims 3 game icon in this folder is the one you right click on:
    SIms%20Apps%202_zpsqf0ka7wk.jpg

Please read the instructions thoroughly, your questions have been answered there - "Now go to Applications > The Sims 3, right click on The Sims 3 base game and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin and copy and paste the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files onto your desktop. This is a backup in case the files get screwed up in the editing process."

The process is complicated so don't rush it and the instructions are very, very clear, you just need to read them carefully. And I've no idea why there are two Sims 3 folders, maybe as a result of a botched install previously.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Found it now. What program can you use to open Graphicscard.Sgr?
  • Options
    Found it now. What program can you use to open Graphicscard.Sgr?

Please read the guide, all the info you need is there:

"Right click on the GraphicsCards.sgr file, select Open With then Other. Choose TextEdit then click on Open."
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    anoukanouk Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, so i tried the whole manual to get my sims 3 to play without the screen being completely white. It sort of worked, if i put all my visual settings on low, which then looks like i am playing a really bad version of sims 1. Any other visual setting higher then low, will give me the white screen again. I just bought a new macbook with the intel iris. in the manual it says you have to go and find something close to your graphics model, however the intel iris is not mentioned at all, so i tried copying the line from the sims 4. this doesn't do the trick either. it really bums me out that the sims 3 is now unplayable. i hope someone has another fix i can try.
  • Options
    sarahmackaysarahmackay Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi!
    I have a 13" Macbook pro with retina display, and Im having a problem with the graphics! When I play TS3, for a while it will be fine, then all of a sudden the build/buy mode and the create-a-sim mode all turn rainbow and the buttons disappear. Usually it goes away when I restart my computer but this time it stayed and its really frustrating to play when nothing works! (there are pages and pages of information so if someone who knows how to fix my problem could you please kindly tell me)

Thanks in advance for all your help <3
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It has to do with your graphics card not being recognized. Or have you purged your RAM before entering Buy/Build or CAS?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    anouk wrote: »
    Hi, so i tried the whole manual to get my sims 3 to play without the screen being completely white. It sort of worked, if i put all my visual settings on low, which then looks like i am playing a really bad version of sims 1. Any other visual setting higher then low, will give me the white screen again. I just bought a new macbook with the intel iris. in the manual it says you have to go and find something close to your graphics model, however the intel iris is not mentioned at all, so i tried copying the line from the sims 4. this doesn't do the trick either. it really bums me out that the sims 3 is now unplayable. i hope someone has another fix i can try.

What manual are you talking about? Is there a manual now that comes with the game?

If you're talking about the links in this thread to other threads and my website there are references to the Intel Iris.

But, do you have a MacBook or a MacBook Pro? Because the new MacBooks have Intel HD 5300 graphics, not Intel iris.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    PaganPoppyPaganPoppy Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello!

After months and months of trouble I seem to have got my game working quite well so I thought I'd post my specs and info here to help others. Also I haven't seen much success posted with people using the same Mac as me ...

[b]MacBook Pro Retina 13 Inch Early 2015
    Chipset Model: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    Type: GPU
    Retina display[/b]

Last summer I couldn't get the game to load past the blue screen but now I'm playing with seasons & supernatural with pretty nice graphics. I'll add pets next and slowly add things.

[b]This is what I did in the exact order - [/b]

- Complete clean/purge of origin and The Sims 3 including all EPs using the Origin Reset tool supplied by Bluebell Flora
    - Download of the new Origin update provided this year (Feb 2016?) which I found on these forums
    - Installed Origin
    - Downloaded TS3 base game and install normally.

[i](I opened the game and was surprised to find that it loaded up. CAS worked super well. I created a sim and started play - however after a few minutes of play some graphical errors started to happen such as missing activity queue images and missing buttons etc. it got worse and worse so i quit the game.) [/i]

- I began downloading a couple of EPs out of curiosity (Seasons & Supernatural just incase I got the game working this time)

- i decided to use the 'Fix for incompatible graphics for The Sims 3 on Mac' guide (BluebellFlora blog) to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr and the GraphicsRules.sgr files for just the base game. I tried this last year and it didn't work but I thought I'd give it another go.
    - I installed both Supernatural and Seasons normally (I'm a really optimistic person lol)

[i](I opened the game and got an 'unrecognised graphic card' message. Tried to load a town but there were severe graphical errors at this point. 'white screen' town and crazy colours. Totally unplayable. I dumped the game and was planning to uninstall and give up but then .... )[/i]

- Then I downloaded the Super Patch (1.67) and installed it to update the base game.

I've since opened the game. It loaded very quickly and is playing pretty well at full graphical settings with both expansions working. I am since playing with the settings to try and get a smoother play experience. I will slowly add more EPs and see how it goes. Saves are working. No errors so far. It seems like it's taken the Origin update, the graphics card workaround and the super patch in order to get this working so far.

Thanks so much to everyones hard work on this! Super appreciate it.
  • Options
    @PaganPoppy

That's so helpful, thank you! Especially as your Mac has one of the newer Broadwell CPUs which seems to be an additional issue. Late Night and Ambitions seem to make the issue worse too so if you do decide to install these EPs please let us know how you get on :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    katier1996katier1996 Posts: 1 New Member
    My early 2014 MacBook Air won't work with sims 3.
    1.4 GHz Intel core i5
    Intel HD graphics 5000
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    katier1996 wrote: »
    My early 2014 MacBook Air won't work with sims 3.
    1.4 GHz Intel core i5
    Intel HD graphics 5000
    I wasn't sure if Intel HD 5000 works with The Sims 3 so it's nice to know that TS3 doesn't work with Intel HD 5000. Perhaps it might be possible to get TS3 to run if you edit the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files but that is beyond my knowledge.

However, The Sims 3 doesn't officially support (recognize) any Intel Graphics newer than Intel HD Graphics 4000. Newer graphics such as 4200/4400, 4600, 5000, 5500, etc. will trigger the unrecognized video card dialog. Most newer Windows PCs (such as the ASUS F555LA) usually have newer Intel HD Graphics so they will usually cause the warning message if you try to play The Sims 3 unless the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files are modified, this warning will also appear if you have Intel Iris/Iris Pro Graphics such as a Mac using Boot Camp. On Windows with newer graphics, TS3 usually runs but not on OS X (especially the Intel graphics) according to @BluebellFlora and other Mac users.

The reason newer Intel Graphics (including newer NVIDIA and AMD graphics) trigger the warning is because the newer graphics are not included in the GraphicsCards.sgr file. EA hasn't updated The Sims 3 so therefore the two files have not been updated to include the newer video cards such as the AMD Radeon R 200/300 Series and NVIDIA GeForce 700, this as a result causes the warning to appear if using a newer video card since they are not included in the two files. See An explanation on why The Sims 3 doesn't recognize new video cards for an explanation about the two .sgr files and why the error appears.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    @katier1996

There are plenty of users who are managing to play who have the Intel HD 5000 but you could try editing the .sgr files. I have no idea what the line would be exactly but a logical guess would be:
    1. Reading the guide and selecting a Mac with Intel HD 6000 graphics.
    2. Substituting IntelHD6000 for IntelHD5000 where applicable.
    3. Substituting Broadwell for Haswell where applicable (this step shouldn't be necessary but won't do any harm)

Your Mac is probably struggling to play because of the low powered 1.4Ghz i5 CPU. The amount of power Sims 3 needs because of EA's use of Cider is ridiculous.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    annafox1112annafox1112 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a 2015 MacBook Air OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5 it has the intel hd 6000 graphics and I saw that it was on the list. I was able to open the game and play for a couple minutes when I first got it but ever since I exited I can never get back in. The launcher opens fine and then when I press play there is either a pop up that says something like 'you cannot start the process with the game already in use' or a blue window opens with the green sim diamond but it just freezes never changing. I would really like to play so if anyone has any ideas please help.
    Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Try a couple of these first.

1) Try restarting your computer. Something may not have properly closed out when you last played Sims 3. It sometimes happens to me.

2) Move your Sims 3 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3) to your Desktop and see if the game will start.
  • Options
    I have a 2015 MacBook Air OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5 it has the intel hd 6000 graphics and I saw that it was on the list. I was able to open the game and play for a couple minutes when I first got it but ever since I exited I can never get back in. The launcher opens fine and then when I press play there is either a pop up that says something like 'you cannot start the process with the game already in use' or a blue window opens with the green sim diamond but it just freezes never changing. I would really like to play so if anyone has any ideas please help.
    Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the graphics fix that I linked you to on my website? That is the only thing that will possibly get your game working.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Ana101Ana101 Posts: 1 New Member
    PaganPoppy wrote: »
    Hello!

After months and months of trouble I seem to have got my game working quite well so I thought I'd post my specs and info here to help others. Also I haven't seen much success posted with people using the same Mac as me ...

MacBook Pro Retina 13 Inch Early 2015
    Chipset Model: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    Type: GPU
    Retina display

Last summer I couldn't get the game to load past the blue screen but now I'm playing with seasons & supernatural with pretty nice graphics. I'll add pets next and slowly add things.

This is what I did in the exact order -

- Complete clean/purge of origin and The Sims 3 including all EPs using the Origin Reset tool supplied by Bluebell Flora
    - Download of the new Origin update provided this year (Feb 2016?) which I found on these forums
    - Installed Origin
    - Downloaded TS3 base game and install normally.

(I opened the game and was surprised to find that it loaded up. CAS worked super well. I created a sim and started play - however after a few minutes of play some graphical errors started to happen such as missing activity queue images and missing buttons etc. it got worse and worse so i quit the game.)

- I began downloading a couple of EPs out of curiosity (Seasons & Supernatural just incase I got the game working this time)

- i decided to use the 'Fix for incompatible graphics for The Sims 3 on Mac' guide (BluebellFlora blog) to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr and the GraphicsRules.sgr files for just the base game. I tried this last year and it didn't work but I thought I'd give it another go.
    - I installed both Supernatural and Seasons normally (I'm a really optimistic person lol)

(I opened the game and got an 'unrecognised graphic card' message. Tried to load a town but there were severe graphical errors at this point. 'white screen' town and crazy colours. Totally unplayable. I dumped the game and was planning to uninstall and give up but then .... )

- Then I downloaded the Super Patch (1.67) and installed it to update the base game.

I've since opened the game. It loaded very quickly and is playing pretty well at full graphical settings with both expansions working. I am since playing with the settings to try and get a smoother play experience. I will slowly add more EPs and see how it goes. Saves are working. No errors so far. It seems like it's taken the Origin update, the graphics card workaround and the super patch in order to get this working so far.

Thanks so much to everyones hard work on this! Super appreciate it.

I have the same computer! I know I'm a few months late haha I've been trying all night to get my sims to work. What is weird is I can't even get it to work on our family mac that I used to play on for a few years Im going to try and follow what you did and hopefully works!
  • Options
    WesternheartsWesternhearts Posts: 1 New Member
    Okay so I have Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009), my Processor is 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and my Graphics are NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, and I'm running OS X Yosemite. whenever I load the sims 3, and select the household i wanna play, it always freezes during the loading bar, I have no idea why it's doing that, I love the sims 3, I have a lot of the add-ons and expansion packs for it. I Prefer the sims 3 over the Sims 4, and i was wondering if anybody knew what was wrong with why the sims 3 keeps freezing during its loading in the world, and if there's anything i can do about it.
  • Options
    Have you tried any of the suggestions in the Mac User's Best Friend thread?
  • Options
    leahpardoleahpardo Posts: 4 New Member
    I wanted to make a thread about this but I can't see how to make a topic?

I have an early 2015 MBP retina, and having problems. Followed Bluebell Floras advice to change graphics, now launcher opens and I can press play and blue screen pops up with the green symbol thing but it just stays there and nothing happens.
  • Options
    leahpardo wrote: »
    I wanted to make a thread about this but I can't see how to make a topic?

I have an early 2015 MBP retina, and having problems. Followed Bluebell Floras advice to change graphics, now launcher opens and I can press play and blue screen pops up with the green symbol thing but it just stays there and nothing happens.

Did you triple check that you entered all the information correctly? Unfortunately there is no miracle fix because it's your Mac's hardware that isn't supported in the game.

apple-signature.png