Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Macs that have Intel Iris Graphics

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
edited June 2017 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
This thread is to help you find out which Macs have Intel Iris or Intel Iris Pro Graphics. This information was taken from Apple, About integrated video on Intel-based Macs.

Since Mac users are probably still playing TS3, this guide helps you find out which Macs have Intel Iris in case if you own or are going to purchase a new Mac. The Sims 3 is the only The Sims game on the Mac that hasn't been patched to support the Intel Iris or Intel Iris Pro Graphics whereas The Sims 2 Super Collection and The Sims 4 have been updated to support the Intel Iris Graphics. Below the Useful Links are the list of Macs that have Intel Iris or Intel Iris Pro Graphics as of June 21, 2015.

What I've learned from @BluebellFlora is that The Sims 3 has problems on Macs with Intel Iris which newer Macs have. This is easy to avoid for the iMac since only the 2.7 GHz model has Intel Iris Pro Graphics. However, most MacBook Pros (especially the 13" models) only have Intel Iris or Intel Iris Pro Graphics which is almost unavoidable unless you have the 2.5 GHz 15" Retina model (the most expensive model) which has a discrete GPU. The entry level 15" rMBP has only Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

While The Sims 3 may work in Macs with newer graphics, you'll most likely get a Unrecognized Video Card since the newer cards haven't been included in the GraphicsCard.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files.

To find your Mac model and video card on OS X, click on the Apple () Menu and then click About this Mac. Your Mac's model and hardware specs will be listed. If your Mac model isn't included on this list, you are not affected. Another thing to check is the Graphics, if OS X says your Graphics is Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro, Intel HD Graphics 6000, or AMD Radeon R9 M370X, you will have problems with TS3.

In case if you're running Windows through Boot Camp, I'll include the instructions to find your video card on Windows. On Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, you can right click your desktop and click Screen Resolution, click on Advanced settings and you should see a dialog appear. If you're on Windows 10, right-click the desktop, click Display settings, click on Advanced display settings, and click Display adapter properties to open the dialog. The Adapter tab lists your video card.

Useful Links
Graphics known to have problems with The Sims 3
Intel Iris
Intel Iris Pro
Intel HD Graphics 5300
Intel HD Graphics 6000
AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Macs that have issues with The Sims 3
Blue indicates Macs that are confirmed to not work with The Sims 3.
iMac, affected models:
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), 2.7 GHz model only
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), 2.7 GHz model only
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), all models

iMac (Retina 27-inch, Late 2015)? Possible since Radeon M300 has issues with TS3
iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
iMac (Retina 21.5-inch, 2017)
iMac (Retina 27-inch, 2017)

iMac Pro, affected models:

MacBook Pro, affected models:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

MacBook Air, affected models:
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Mac mini, affected model:
Mac mini (Late 2014) with 2.6GHz, 2.8GHz, or 3.0GHz processor

Other affected Macs w/o Intel Iris/Iris Pro: (Macs that also don't work with TS3)
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon R9 M370X (thread mentioned by @BluebellFlora)
11" or 13" Early 2015 MacBook Air with Intel HD Graphics 6000 (according to @BluebellFlora)
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    It's only the entry level 15" MBPs that won't work. The higher spec. ones have a dedicated GPU so are fine (although I've no idea if the game works on the current 15" with AMD). And most of the time the game isn't getting past the opening blue splash screen with the green Sims logo.

Great post, very informative :)
    apple-signature.png
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    It's only the entry level 15" MBPs that won't work. The higher spec. ones have a dedicated GPU so are fine (although I've no idea if the game works on the current 15" with AMD). And most of the time the game isn't getting past the opening blue splash screen with the green Sims logo.

Great post, very informative :)

Thanks. I also wondered the same too because the 15" with R9 M370X would like trigger a warning since The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 haven't been updated to recognize the Radeon R 300 series which launched. In most cases, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 usually runs fine on newer graphics except on Intel Iris on TS3.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I'm really glad to see this posted as well. Hope it gets stickied or the equivalent.

And sorry if this is the wrong place, but I have a question. These players with Iris/Iris Pro graphics who are unable to get TS3 for Mac going at all, do they fare any better by bootcamping windows? I know they will still be trying to use the same graphics chip on the Win side, but just wondering if the workaround is any more effective there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @Igazor I seem to remember reading on another thread a while ago that it's ok in Boot Camp without having to change the files. Can't remember which thread though. If I come across it again I'll link to it here.
    apple-signature.png
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm really glad to see this posted as well. Hope it gets stickied or the equivalent.

And sorry if this is the wrong place, but I have a question. These players with Iris/Iris Pro graphics who are unable to get TS3 for Mac going at all, do they fare any better by bootcamping windows? I know they will still be trying to use the same graphics chip on the Win side, but just wondering if the workaround is any more effective there.

I wondered the same too. I haven't heard anyone mention about Boot Camp so I'm not sure if Windows has the problem. If there's confirmion about Windows and Intel Iris/Iris Pro Graphics, I'll give information about Windows. Most non-Apple computers that include Intel Graphics are usually Intel HD Graphics although there are some computers (such as the GIGABYTE BRIX Pro) that have Intel Iris/Iris Pro Graphics. I'm sure TS4 would also play fine in Boot Camp since it does have the Iris Graphics in the database.

Even if there are Windows computers using Intel Iris/Iris Pro, I don't think any PC Simmer would buy or play on a system equipped with Intel Iris since most PC users often ignore integrated graphics including the Intel Graphics as well as anything that's not a "Gaming" computer. I hear rumors from Windows users saying "you need a gaming computer to play Sims" or "the game will not work on Integrated graphics such as Intel HD 4000". You don't need a gaming computer to play The Sims 3 or The Sims 4 nor do you need discrete graphics (although it's recommended especially for TS3). However, that will be on another thread.

I'm not if the SimGurus check The Sims 3 Mac forums. If they do, it would be nice to be stickied since this is helpful for the Mac users or at least for the equivalent, be mentioned in another thread.
    @Tremayne4260 please could you add this to your super stickied thread?
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Will do!
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    edited June 2015

Does seem interesting, I wonder if TS3 on Mac doesn't work with newer cards? I think the iMac 5K with AMD Radeon R9 M290X worked but not the new MacBook Pro. I wonder if the Mac Pro with AMD FirePro D300, D500, and D700 will work although Mac Pro users on The Sims forums are rare, I don't think I've seen anyone own the new black Mac Pro. Plus I'm not how The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 would react to the AMD FirePro graphics since most games assume users are using AMD Radeon graphics.

I added the system to the list. Kind of a bummer that some newer Macs can't play TS3 which can be an issue for Simmers whose Macs don't work and who don't want (or doesn't like) The Sims 4 since only that game (aside from The Sims 2: Super Collection) plays well on Macs whereas TS3 doesn't due to Cider.

In addition to TS3 being bad on Macs due to Cider, the bugs that plague the game aren't fixed. While TS4 is getting better, a lot of people think EA doesn't care about the bugs since most glitches that are mentioned before (such as the Beloved trait only working for 1 Sim) haven't been fixed, people think TS4 will still have bugs by the time it's finished like with TS3.
  • the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2015
    Is there an AMD Radeon R9 M370X work around?
    This is so sad.
    Is there no one from THE SIMS staff that could address this issue for the simmers?
    We spent HUNDREDS of dollars on their product, only to not be able to use it?
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    I have a Mac Mini with Intel Iris graphics and my Sims 3 runs fine. Have several expansion packs and purchased content installed. I had to set the graphics options in game below the max because it kept crashing, but after that I've been doing well.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    This is so sad.
    Is there no one from THE SIMS staff that could address this issue for the simmers?
    We spent HUNDREDS of dollars on their product, only to not be able to use it?

It's a shame too because a lot of people also spent money on The Sims 3 and the fact EA doesn't plan on fixing TS3 especially for Mac users. TS3 is a good game but the glitches and hardware issues make it less enjoyable.
    So this appears to be happening to users who have the 2015 MacBook Airs with Intel HD 6000 graphics too :(
    apple-signature.png
    edited June 2015
    JoeJude16 wrote: »
    I have a Mac Mini with Intel Iris graphics and my Sims 3 runs fine. Have several expansion packs and purchased content installed. I had to set the graphics options in game below the max because it kept crashing, but after that I've been doing well.

Please can you provide your exact model details and your game patch number? The model identifier of your Mac is most helpful. You are probably the only person in existence who is managing to play using this card!
    apple-signature.png
    Add in the 2015 MacBook Airs with the Intel HD 6000 to the list too :(
    apple-signature.png
    Add in the 2015 MacBook Airs with the Intel HD 6000 to the list too :(

I have added them to the list.
    The workaround for the 2015 MBP with AMD worked! @the11thmoon managed to do it - yay!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13794380/#Comment_13794380

apple-signature.png
    Hopefully others are able to come forward and try it. So we have more "case studies", if you will.
  • Yourhighness1Yourhighness1 Posts: 19 New Member
    I know this topic has been done to death so I don't want to start yet another one of these threads so I'll post here. Im getting either the 13" MacBook Pro or 13" MacBook Air. I know it's been said that TS3 don't work on these macs but does it work for sure with bootcamp? TS4 just isn't appealing to me and I have TS2 and play that on my old laptop but I really like TS3 and would love to be able to play. Is bootcamp my only option or am I just out of luck with being able to play TS3 on a new Mac?

I've read numerous posts on this and I couldn't find a solid answer. Sorry if there is one and I missed it
    I know this topic has been done to death so I don't want to start yet another one of these threads so I'll post here. Im getting either the 13" MacBook Pro or 13" MacBook Air. I know it's been said that TS3 don't work on these macs but does it work for sure with bootcamp? TS4 just isn't appealing to me and I have TS2 and play that on my old laptop but I really like TS3 and would love to be able to play. Is bootcamp my only option or am I just out of luck with being able to play TS3 on a new Mac?

I've read numerous posts on this and I couldn't find a solid answer. Sorry if there is one and I missed it

I think Boot Camp may work but I can't guarantee it would work though since I haven't seen any iMacs or MacBook Pros with Intel Iris/Iris Pro Graphics or any Iris-equipped PC play The Sims 3 running on Windows. There are PCs that have Intel Iris graphics such as the GIGABYTE Brix Pro and the MSI GS30 SHADOW-001 but asking about Intel Iris/Iris Pro in The Sims 3 Technical forums might be difficult because most users usually don't recommend The Sims 3 to be played on Integrated graphics let alone any laptop and this includes the Intel Iris Graphics. Running The Sims 3 on Windows might be a better option because TS3 usually performs better on Windows than on OS X.

If I can get Boot Camp information, I will gladly update it to confirm whatever or not TS3 will work on those Macs.
    The workaround for the 2015 MBP with AMD worked! @the11thmoon managed to do it - yay!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13794380/#Comment_13794380

With YOUR help!!!
  • secondendersecondender Posts: 63 Member
    I have an iMac (Late 2013) with Intel Iris Pro, and it lets me play TS3... most of the time. I get around 10 crashes during 3 hours of playtime, almost always from green, yellow, red, and white flashes and graphical errors. This started only a while ago, and I've had this game for two years.
    Any idea what may have started it off?
    *poofs*
    simblr :3
    I have an iMac (Late 2013) with Intel Iris Pro, and it lets me play TS3... most of the time. I get around 10 crashes during 3 hours of playtime, almost always from green, yellow, red, and white flashes and graphical errors. This started only a while ago, and I've had this game for two years.

Does your iMac have a dedicated graphics card?

I'm guessing your iMac is the 2.7 GHz model as this model has Intel Iris Pro. @BluebellFlora could be interested on how you could get your game to work. It's said that most Macs won't run TS3 with Intel Iris/Iris Pro Graphics.