Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying Laptop for Sim 4!

mooninscorpiomooninscorpio Posts: 4 New Member
Hello. I am trying to find a fairly lower price laptop to play the sims 4 on. I do not need super high quality graphics. I simply want to be able to play the game without any issues. I was suggested the Acer Aspire. What do you guys think? Will it run the game properly and efficiently?
(I live in Michigan and am lookign for something under $650).

My cousin suggested this computer:
Acer Laptop Aspire E5-573G-59C3 Intel Core i5 5200U (2.20GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 8GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 940M 15.6" Windows 8.1

Intel Core i5 5200U (2.20GHz)
8GB Memory 1TB HDD 8GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 940M
1366 x 768
Windows 8.1
Post edited by mooninscorpio on

Comments

• sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Looks good to me!

ETA- Actually, I'm not seeing your graphics card on the supported list but that doesn't mean it won't work.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    What's your budget? And wht country are u in? (So ppl can make suggestion links)
    The acer aspire sounds ideal for you actually.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Really you should be posting this subject in the tech thread . Its an ok laptop but I dont know if it will survive the whole series with eps and patches. The games recommended requirements to play all eps and patches as they come out are mid range gaming desktop not laptop and laptops are weaker than desktop. If one wants to ensure they want to survive the whole series of the game I would suggest saving for a better laptop and getting a better gaming laptop
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hello. I am trying to find a fairly lower price laptop to play the sims 4 on. I do not need super high quality graphics. I simply want to be able to play the game without any issues. I was suggested the Acer Aspire. What do you guys think? Will it run the game properly and efficiently?

Acer Laptop Aspire E5-573G-59C3 Intel Core i5 5200U (2.20GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 8GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 940M 15.6" Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GeForce 940M
    1366 x 768
    Windows 8.1

It does look like a good laptop, only one thing I would recommened is having a higher Core, 2,2 Ghz is barely enough for the game and if you want to do other things aswell, I think having a core of around 2,8(Ghz) or higher is a lot better. :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
    edited June 2015
    Newegg only charges tax for California, New Jersey, and Tennessee.

If you dont live in above 3 states. I can suggest a fangbook from newegg no tax $849

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834198054

NVIDIA GeForce 940M
    1366 x 768
    Windows 8.1

It does look like a good laptop, only one thing I would recommened is having a higher Core, 2,2 Ghz is barely enough for the game and if you want to do other things aswell, I think having a core of around 2,8(Ghz) or higher is a lot better. :blush:

The 940 is also not a GTX card and a somewhat lower end laptop card.

Saw that too, but I forgot to mention the videocard for the laptop, it's better to save up for a good one tbh otherwise you can't play the game anymore in a few expansion packs.

- Having a videocard of GTX 780 would do though if the person is on a budget, I have something similar and it's running on maximun settings.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • mooninscorpiomooninscorpio Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you for the advice. I think I will keep looking. I do want to be able to fit expansion packs on the computer. The last computers I had did not run the sims 3 well at all.
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for the advice. I think I will keep looking. I do want to be able to fit expansion packs on the computer. The last computers I had did not run the sims 3 well at all.

Your welcome whatever computer you buy for the sims 4 whole series should also be able to play the sims 3. With all eps the sims 3 and 4 specs are about the same only the games are programed differently. Unfortunately Your not going to find anything under $800 with decent specs to play the game. If this is out of your price range I would suggest saving to get a computer.

Well honestly Sims 3 is a very laggy game on it's own, and Sims 4 has been build to survive on older pc's and laptops, just look for these things

Intel core i3/i5/i7, i5 is good enough for Sims 4 and look for above 2,80(Ghz)
    Recommened 8GB of RAM
    Nvidia GTX 760 or higher (this plays on max settings) and is future proof for awhile (I think about a year or two)
    Windows 7/8/8,1 - Since 7 is not in the stores anymore I would go for 8,1

Also keep in mind, a laptop is always worse than pc, but you pay more for a laptop, so if you have room for a pc I would go for that, otherwise do save up for a good laptop; you can't upgrade parts in a laptop so it's important to make a good choice if you want to play the sims 4 in the future :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina

Saw that too, but I forgot to mention the videocard for the laptop, it's better to save up for a good one tbh otherwise you can't play the game anymore in a few expansion packs.

- Having a videocard of GTX 780 would do though if the person is on a budget, I have something similar and it's running on maximun settings.

I have a 770m -- With laptop you need a higher GTX card. The fangbook I posted on newegg has an 860m which is just slightly under my 770m
    I have a 770m -- With laptop you need a higher GTX card. The fangbook I posted on newegg has an 860m which is just slightly under my 770m

That's true, that's why it's better to go above the Gtx780, I only have an older AMD R7 260x card but it run like a charm, difference since it's a desktop so it runs better anyway, they say Sims games don't require much but I tend to think otherwise >.<
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
    I do desperately want to get a PC to play sims though I need a laptop for University and travelling. It is a complicated decision.
    I do desperately want to get a PC to play sims though I need a laptop for University and travelling. It is a complicated decision.

Hmm well, indeed then a laptop would be the better choice, I would then say go for a good laptop that can handle your basic tasks but can also handle sims 4, like I said above I would recommened those specs since they tend to do good with Sims 4, you don't need a killer laptop for this game since it runs pretty good on it's own :)
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
    edited June 2015

That's true, that's why it's better to go above the Gtx780, I only have an older AMD R7 260x card but it run like a charm, difference since it's a desktop so it runs better anyway, they say Sims games don't require much but I tend to think otherwise >.<

They should be fine with an 860m on a laptop if they must have laptop over desktop which some people do. I have no issues with the sims 3 on my laptop but I do have a more powerful laptop.

They would not need anything more than that if only playing the sims. If your playing games Like GTA V you need good specs for that. That game alone uses 3-4 gb of vram and the recommended for that game is 8gb ram in your computer
    edited June 2015
    How about this one?

MSI CX61 2QC-1654US Gaming Laptop 4th Generation Intel Core i5 4210M (2.6GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 920M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GeForce 920M 2GB
    4th Generation Intel Core i5 4210M (2.6GHz)
    8GB Memory 750GB HDD
    15.6" 1366 x 768
    15.08" x 9.82" x 1.27" - 1.48" 5.29 lbs.
    DVD Super Multi
    edited June 2015
    How about this one?

MSI CX61 2QC-1654US Gaming Laptop 4th Generation Intel Core i5 4210M (2.6GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 920M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GeForce 920M 2GB
    4th Generation Intel Core i5 4210M (2.6GHz)
    8GB Memory 750GB HDD
    15.6" 1366 x 768
    15.08" x 9.82" x 1.27" - 1.48" 5.29 lbs.
    DVD Super Multi

Unfortunately That is worse than what you posted. 920 card is weaker than the 940

you need a gaming laptop with specs like the fangbook I posted above or better. It has GTX 860 card with an i7 processr
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Here are a few laptops on NewEgg. There is no tax outside of New Jersey, Tennessee, and a third state I forgot...
    1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232404
    2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HZ2553
    3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314820

The Fangbook that @phoebebebe13 posted is also a good choice.

If possible, the Asus ROG that I posted is better than the Fangbook, but isn't on sale, so if you could pitch in a some more money, that would be great. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    Here are a few laptops on NewEgg. There is no tax outside of New Jersey, Tennessee, and a third state I forgot...
    1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232404
    2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HZ2553
    3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314820

The Fangbook that @phoebebebe13 posted is also a good choice.

If possible, the Asus ROG that I posted is better than the Fangbook, but isn't on sale, so if you could pitch in a some more money, that would be great. :)

Sorry but the fangbook is still the better choice. That ASUS rog is not getting great reviews. I prefer the ASUS rog with 2 hard drives.

The others you posted have 860 cards and are more expensive than the fang book. OP already stated that they dont have that kind of money so why even post this stuff
    The others you posted have 860 cards and are more expensive than the fang book. OP already stated that they dont have that kind of money so why even post this stuff

I like helping. :#

I also noticed the OP budget just now. :D
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member

NVIDIA GeForce 940M
    1366 x 768
    Windows 8.1
    No matter what laptop/computer you use the sims 4 will have issues.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »

NVIDIA GeForce 940M
    1366 x 768
    Windows 8.1
    No matter what laptop/computer you use the sims 4 will have issues.

I don't have any issues lol.
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited June 2015

I like helping. :#

I also noticed the OP budget just now. :D

I know but spamming the threads with a bunch of laptops is not a good idea. It further confuses the op. The op is not going to find the laptop specs they need in $800 range other than that fangbook. They go any lower than that fangbook and they will be buying a computer that may not last the whole game. Unfortunately most laptops for gaming $1000 and up. If OP needs a laptop than they are going to pay a higher price to game on one
    I know but spamming the threads with a bunch of laptops is not a good idea. It further confuses the op. The op is not going to find the laptop specs they need in $800 range other than that fangbook. They go any lower than that fangbook and they will be buying a computer that may not last the whole game. Unfortunately most laptops for gaming $1000 and up. If OP needs a laptop than they are going to pay a higher price to game on one

Ah okay. :)
  • TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    This one will do just fine from NewEgg. You'll have to copy/paste my links, since I'm too new to be able to post links, I guess?

"www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318437"

It's a Lenovo G50 priced at $649.99 (+ $5.99 shipping)

Intel Core i7 5500U (2.40GHz)
    16GB Memory 1TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics 5500
    1366 x 768
    Windows 8.1

For reference, I am playing all 11 expansions on Sims 3 with high settings using a Lenovo V570. I also play all of the current content on Sims 4 with no issues on medium settings and have no issues at all. I can run on Ultra settings, but it sure gets hot after an hour or so. ;)

Here are my laptop's specs:

Intel Core i5 2450M (2.50GHz)
    6GB Memory 500GB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    1366 x 768
    Windows 7 Home Premium

If you would like to check out laptop graphics cards for yourself, there are links here:

Specifically for Sims system requirements.
    "simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_System_Requirements"

Can choose Sims 4 from software/gaming list but not specifically maintained for Sims purposes.
    "www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html"