Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unnatural Hair Recolours for Children and Toddlers (Genetic)

Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
edited February 2017 in CAS Custom Content
Intro

By design, children and toddlers don't have the five unnatural hair colour swatches that are available for adults. This means that when your Sims with unnatural hair colours have children, they won't inherit those unnatural hair colours and will instead be born with a natural hair colour. While this is realistic, it's not fun at all for players who love to mess around with genetics and it makes the ever popular Perfect Genetics challenge impossible to do. I decided that absolutely must change!​

Description

I have added the five unnatural hair colour swatches that are available for adults (purple pastel, hot pink, dark blue, turquoise, and green) to all the child and toddler hair in the game. Having these swatches available for children and toddlers allows them to be born with any unnatural hair colour their parents have. You can also manually select these colours for your kids and tots in CAS. The hair recolours are all Maxis match, they use the same textures as the original hair so they don't look out of place.

Updates

July 1, 2015: I've redone all the child hair from the base game, Outdoor Retreat and Get To Work. I originally did those hairs while I was still learning so the quality and consistency was not very good. I've improved at recolouring since then and the updated hair looks much better, so please redownload! I've also added the Romantic Garden, Dine Out and Kids Room hair.

Pictures

fullPurple Pastel

fullHot Pink

fullDark Blue

fullTurquoise

fullGreen

These are just examples of each colour. Each hairstyle in the downloads has the full five swatches of unnatural colours.

FAQ

Q: Is this a mod or CC?
A: This is CC, not a mod. I have recoloured all the child and toddler hairstyles in the game to match the five unnatural hair colours available to adults, which are purple pastel, hot pink, dark blue, turquoise and green. All the recoloured hair is genetic. Any Sims with unnatural hair colours will now have a chance of passing on their hair colour to their children.

Q: What about Game Packs, Stuff Packs and Expansions? I don't have all of them. Can I still download these?
A: Yes! All the downloads are separated by pack in separate folders when you download and unzip. This makes it easy to only install the ones that you have the packs for. If you only have the base game, only install the base game downloads. If you have Outdoor Retreat but not Dine Out, download the game pack resource, unzip, and only put the folder with the Outdoor Retreat hair into your Mods folder. I plan to update and add more downloads for each add-on as they're released so if you get a new add-on that comes with new child hair, just come back here to install the download for your latest add-on.

Q: Are these default replacements?
A: Nope! These just add the five unnatural colour swatches to all the child and toddler hairs in the game. They don't replace any existing colours. Your child and toddler Sims can still have all the existing hair colours in the game in addition to these new colours.

Q: So will my Sims with unnatural hair always have children with unnatural hair?
A: It depends on the other parent's hair colour and the game's random mutation chance. I haven't changed the way genetics works in the game, I've just added unnatural colours for children and toddlers. If a Sim with green hair has a child with a blonde Sim, the child could have blonde hair or green hair. If two Sims with green hair have a child, the child will almost always have green hair, except in cases where a genetic mutation happens and they end up with a random hair colour instead. The game's designed to allow for a random gene a small percentage of the time, so two green-haired Sims might occasionally have a child with a different hair colour but will usually only have green-haired children.

Q: Will this work for custom hair, too?
A: It may or it may not, depending on what colour categories the creator has enabled for their hair. Creators all use their own colour palettes when creating custom hair as well so another creator's turquoise could look completely different from my turquoise. All I can really guarantee is that all the Maxis hairs match with my recolours, sorry!

Q: My child and toddler Sims still have normal-coloured eyebrows!
A: That's normal. To have matching eyebrows with these recolours, I'd have to recolour all the child and toddler eyebrows in the game to match the hair, which I have not done. I might take this on soon, though, since I'd also like to have child and toddler eyebrows match the recoloured hair, so I'll keep you posted!

Q: If I get new packs or if the game updates, can I still use these?
A: Yep! If you install a new pack that I haven't updated for, you can still use these hair recolours, you just won't have the five unnatural swatches for the new hair that came with the pack. These should also all work fine after most game updates (but since I can't predict what future updates might do to the game, I can't guarantee that). As always, remove your entire Mods folder before updating the game or installing new packs.

I host my downloads on Sims Community Social now! Have a look at my downloads page to find these hair recolours along with my other downloads!

My Downloads Page
Post edited by Ashleigh825 on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top