Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac getting too hot

Anybody else get a super duper hot mac when they play TS4 on it? My computer itself gets hot and my charger gets so hot it starts to smell like something is burning after an hour and I have to stop playing. :(

Comments

• sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    I had this problem with 3 and it literally melted the charger, lol. I had to get a new one. You have to be careful- try to sit it up somewhere, like put a book or 2 under neath so its raised up. Don't sit it directly on a bed or your lap and you might wanna check out cooling pads- I have a gaming one that works great
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Agreed. You need to make sure that your Mac or any laptop has plenty of air circulation to keep it cool. A cooling pad is also very helpful.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • theHBIC94theHBIC94 Posts: 7 New Member
    I have the same issue with my macbook air.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand of cooling pad to buy?
    After looking online I've found a lot that have fans on the bottom. Would you say that is the best option?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Kendra326 wrote: »
    Anybody else get a super duper hot mac when they play TS4 on it? My computer itself gets hot and my charger gets so hot it starts to smell like something is burning after an hour and I have to stop playing. :(

What Mac are you using? Are you using the charger that came with your Mac or a different one? Yes, your Mac will get hot, as the others have said, make sure air can circulate underneath it.

It's always very important to use the right charger for your Mac. The different model Mac laptops have different wattage chargers. Whilst you can use a higher watt charger for a less powerful Mac, you should never use a low powered charger for a more powerful Mac as it can ruin the battery and cause power issues.

apple-signature.png
    Oh, and never, ever buy a cheap 3rd party charger because you want to save a few quid. I've seen chargers that people have bought from well known online marketplaces that have fried their Macs. You paid a lot for your Mac, don't scrimp on a dodgy charger :)
    apple-signature.png
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I recommend playing on a

Chillow612x406.jpg

Or some other cooling pad or play on cold surfaces.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Kendra326Kendra326 Posts: 515 Member
    I will definitely look into a good cooling pad. Had one before that didn't work well back for the TS3, but maybe I'll get a better one. I think it was a cheap one.
  • pretty_fabulousx10pretty_fabulousx10 Posts: 121 Member
    This is super helpful, I have been having the same problem has well. My lap is practically as hot as an oven after 10 minutes of playing! I'll have to look into buying a cooling fan to prop underneath my laptop, as I prefer to play with it in my lap. Is that chillow comfy enough to sit in your lap?
  • Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    I don't own a Mac but I just stumbled on this thread as I was skimming the home page and thought I'd try and help, since my laptop overheats too. I bought an external cooling fan for mine and it works wonders! Hope this helps you too :)
    edited May 2015
    While external cooling fans are great for PCs, they aren't the best thing for Macs as Macs don't have vents on the bottom like PCs so the cool air doesn't get drawn back into the computer, the vent is across the screen hinge. The chillow is a great idea or you could just raise your Mac up a centimetre or so off the surface (by placing it on the edge of a couple of DVD cases). Providing air can circulate underneath it you will be fine. The aluminium body is designed to dissipate the heat which is why it needs some clearance. I use an iLap and have done for years now. None of my Macs have ever fried :)
    apple-signature.png
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I recommend playing on a

Chillow612x406.jpg

Or some other cooling pad or play on cold surfaces.

This is interesting, the only Chillow I've ever heard of was for your head LOL. How does it stay cold?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Freggi36Freggi36 Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2015
    Agreed @BluebellFlora the correct charger is important otherwise there will be problems with overheating. I play my TSims 4 on the iMac, but I know the problem. My Macbook has this problem when I travel. Therefore I also have a cooling pad, I myself have also good experience with this cooling pad for Macbooks. :)

:'( Grrrr .. Why can't add a link in this forum, it is very user unfriendly. Okay take a look at amazon.com after this brands

Tenswall 17 inch 3 Fan(110mm) Laptop Cooling Pad with USB for MacBook Pro/ HP Laptop/ Blacck..

Good luck... :)
    BommelHeader_small.png

From outer space they come. Alien Bommel my gaming site is not a usual gaming site, here lead the aliens the scepter ..
    It's ok to use an Apple charger that's overpowered, e.g. a 15" MBP 85W charger for a 13" MBP which uses a 60W charger, because the Mac will only draw the power it needs. The problems arise with 3rd party chargers mainly or using an underpowered charger.

@Freggi36 that looks like a meaty cooling pad!
    apple-signature.png
    Unfortunately I have already noticed and found out that a lack of insulation can cause this error from the connector end. Or the cable breaks at the end of the power charger and that causes the same error.. ;)

@BluebellFlora :)

Yes it is absolutely. It is a powerful tool and I use it for my work as a graphic designer/artist.
    It quickly cools down the machine during hard work and isn't loud. :)
    BommelHeader_small.png

From outer space they come. Alien Bommel my gaming site is not a usual gaming site, here lead the aliens the scepter ..
    That's great. So many of them are useless for Macs.
    apple-signature.png
    Agreed completely... ;)
    BommelHeader_small.png