Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @simscognito I'm good and you?
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @Bugsie2016 I'm also good. Currently working on my latest drawing. Released some extra background information about my simLit yesterday and found the cutest picture of Lauren as a toddler with her mum.
    igxJrm2.jpg

Wanted to show this other one of her with Paris, but it would give an aspect of Paris away, so I'll have to wait till two chapters later before sharing it. :D

What have you been up to lately?
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    A writing question for everyone.

What methods do you use to help give your characters distinct voices and personalities?
  • Options

What methods do you use to help give your characters distinct voices and personalities?

Ahhh I love these questions. I actually act out all the scenes, and play all the characters, to develop their personalities and voices. Furthermore, I think I've mentioned this before, but I use the concept of harnessing their 'energy.' I know this probably sounds weird and still sounds weird, but I like to separate emotion and energy. Some characters, like Adrian, have a lot of energy and so their emotions come out more strongly. Other characters, like my rendition of Lilith, have less energy, and so their emotions are more down-beat - not necessarily negative just downbeat. Then there's certain emotions that require more energy, such as Henry's emotions mostly at the moment. What I mean by this, is that some emotions will make characters more energetic, when their not usually. Usually energy and emotions come together when a character cares.
    Hope I'm making sense. :D
  • Options
    @Bugsie2016 I'm also good. Currently working on my latest drawing. Released some extra background information about my simLit yesterday and found the cutest picture of Lauren as a toddler with her mum.
    igxJrm2.jpg

Wanted to show this other one of her with Paris, but it would give an aspect of Paris away, so I'll have to wait till two chapters later before sharing it. :D

Been kinda sick. Back to normal tomorrow and i'm hoping brain will cooperate with me and give me an average/good day.
    (by brain I mean social anxiety :D . Hoping for either an average day or a really good day. I love really good days because it puts me in a great mood and i'll tell you, the feeling is great!. Average days don't affect my mood and bad days = bad mood/average mood, it depends.)
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    Hi @friendsfan367 I am still floating around here just trying to power through the last 12 days of school!
  • Options
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    igxJrm2.jpg

Been kinda sick. Back to normal tomorrow and i'm hoping brain will cooperate with me and give me an average/good day.
    (by brain I mean social anxiety :D . Hoping for either an average day or a really good day. I love really good days because it puts me in a great mood and i'll tell you, the feeling is great!. Average days don't affect my mood and bad days = bad mood/average mood, it depends.)

@Bugsie2016
    Ahh, I'm sorry you're not feeling great. You've been in the wars lately. Here's hoping tomorrows a bit brighter for you. :( Yeah, good days are awesome, particularly after bad days. It's like you really begin to appreciate them because you've just had the opposite.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    igxJrm2.jpg

@Bugsie2016
    Ahh, I'm sorry you're not feeling great. You've been in the wars lately. Here's hoping tomorrows a bit brighter for you. :( Yeah, good days are awesome, particularly after bad days. It's like you really begin to appreciate them because you've just had the opposite.

@simscognito Thanks
    Bad days are not fun but luckily like really good days they happen once in a while. It's hard to describe to most people who don't have SA because they can't get inside your head and see what your thinking and how that whole process works, sometimes I wish they could. :D Maybe then I wouldn't I get people just telling me to just do something that I know I can't do *. But, luckily for them I can't yell at them about it 'cause that involves the whole semi-impossible for me. :joy: (Yep, I laugh about it 'cause I can.)

Good days involve me somehow ignoring the SA and just doing it anyway. I don't normally so that feeling is indescribable. I would pay for one of those days, seriously. :tongue:

*Forgot to add, they don't know I have it 'cause I didn't tell them. :)
  • Options
    igxJrm2.jpg

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito Thanks
    Bad days are not fun but luckily like really good days they happen once in a while. It's hard to describe to most people who don't have SA because they can't get inside your head and see what your thinking and how that whole process works, sometimes I wish they could. :D Maybe then I wouldn't I get people just telling me to just do something that I know I can't do. But, luckily for them I can't yell at them about it 'cause that involves the whole semi-impossible for me. :joy: (Yep, I laugh about it 'cause I can.)

Good days involve me somehow ignoring the SA and just doing it anyway. I don't normally so that feeling is indescribable. I would pay for one of those days, seriously. :tongue:

@Bugsie2016
    that's good you can laugh about it. Some people can be really dumb. Do they tell a person with a broken leg to just get up and walk? Oh well, here's hoping the future is more understanding. Just remember simscognito thinks you're awesome, and I don't say things I don't mean. :)
  • Options

Hi @AuroraLockwood sorry, I've just remembered what else I do to try and get into the character's personalities. I also write a song for some of my characters and their relationships. It's a bit like what some of the other simmers have said, when they say they find a song for their chapters, except I compose it on the piano.

Alex and Henry are also inspired by historical characters, which helps me get a better idea of their personality.

Apologies again, characters are my favourite topic when it comes to writing. :D
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    noel and lauren are in 2 differnt places intheir relationship. she wants to get married he wants a kiss. it amuses me because its happened to their kids but never them.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    igxJrm2.jpg

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito Thanks
    Bad days are not fun but luckily like really good days they happen once in a while. It's hard to describe to most people who don't have SA because they can't get inside your head and see what your thinking and how that whole process works, sometimes I wish they could. :D Maybe then I wouldn't I get people just telling me to just do something that I know I can't do. But, luckily for them I can't yell at them about it 'cause that involves the whole semi-impossible for me. :joy: (Yep, I laugh about it 'cause I can.)

@Bugsie2016
    that's good you can laugh about it. Some people can be really dumb. Do they tell a person with a broken leg to just get up and walk? Oh well, here's hoping the future is more understanding. Just remember simscognito thinks you're awesome, and I don't say things I don't mean. :)

@simscognito
    Ok, I felt like this was just me being whiny, so I deleted it. :)
    Post edited by ForgottenPixels on
  • Options
    OJenn wrote: »
    Hi @friendsfan367 I am still floating around here just trying to power through the last 12 days of school!

awesome. i'm excited for you.
  • Options

Hi @AuroraLockwood sorry, I've just remembered what else I do to try and get into the character's personalities. I also write a song for some of my characters and their relationships. It's a bit like what some of the other simmers have said, when they say they find a song for their chapters, except I compose it on the piano.

Alex and Henry are also inspired by historical characters, which helps me get a better idea of their personality.

@simscognito No worries. Characters are my favorite subject as well (at least they are what I seem to spend 90% of my time worrying about :tongue:

I'm impressed that you compose music for the characters. I spent time in band but was never good enough to even consider doing something like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

@simscognito No worries. Characters are my favorite subject as well (at least they are what I seem to spend 90% of my time worrying about :tongue:

I'm impressed that you compose music for the characters. I spent time in band but was never good enough to even consider doing something like that.

Thanks @AuroraLockwood . I composed the music for the Friends of Foes trailer too. Here's the link for it, if you're interested. https://youtube.com/watch?v=Iek8d0APqZQ
    That's cool that you were in a band. I bet you didn't suck. :D

Yes, characters are the most fun to write. I know some people hate writing dialogue, but it's actually my favourite part of writing. It's like with my art, I'm weird enough to find the face and hands the easiest - because I find those parts the most interesting. I really can't be bothered with the rest of the body. :D

You have no need to be worried about your characters. They're great. I don't think I've ever read a story before where I'm interested in everyone in it.
  • Options

mine have minds of their own . and get demanding if they really want something or in2 cases someone.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    igxJrm2.jpg

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito Thanks

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito
    I added afterwards that they don't know 'cause I haven't told them. I can't explain it so even my closest friends don't know. :) You learn to just ignore it but it stays with you for the day. :) I only recently found out the definition of what it is and that I have it 'cause everyone around me just passed it off as me being shy or quiet which I hate and it actually made it harder to find out. I've had it since I was quiet young (although people just wrote it off as shyness or me being quiet :# ) so it just made me a bookworm and an introvert. :D

@Bugsie2016
    ahh, that's really sad. Yes, it hurts when people pass something off for something else, making it harder to find out what 'said' thing really is, making it harder to deal with 'said' thing. - Okay, that was a clumsy sentence. :D Just remember you're not alone. (hugs - although, I'll let you into a secret, I'm not very good with hugs. Just ask my mum, she's always getting elbowed and sometimes I accidentally headbutted her. XD)
  • Options

mine have minds of their own . and get demanding if they really want something or in2 cases someone.

@friendsfan367 Oh gosh I love your sims stories. :D
  • Options
    And a new post is up as we hear the reaction to the scandals fallout, or lack thereof.

Extra Post: Hit Them in the Mouth

post.jpg
  • Options

and i'm not even to the good stuff yet.
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Hi Everyone! Just a quickie update on the voting results on which pet Cameron will be adopting in Cats Rule & Dogs Drool Vet Challenge. Thanks again for voting.
    https://soulgal7.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/voting-results-purrfect-bonz-cameron-catnip-adopts

here_he_is_eating_cat_poop_out_of_the_kitty_ltter_box.png
  • Options
    PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    Finally hopping on the Cats & Dogs train. I promised myself I wasn't going to until after exams, but the end of exam week is the day after the sale on Origin ends, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    igxJrm2.jpg

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito Thanks

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito
    I added afterwards that they don't know 'cause I haven't told them. I can't explain it so even my closest friends don't know. :) You learn to just ignore it but it stays with you for the day. :) I only recently found out the definition of what it is and that I have it 'cause everyone around me just passed it off as me being shy or quiet which I hate and it actually made it harder to find out. I've had it since I was quiet young (although people just wrote it off as shyness or me being quiet :# ) so it just made me a bookworm and an introvert. :D

@Bugsie2016
    ahh, that's really sad. Yes, it hurts when people pass something off for something else, making it harder to find out what 'said' thing really is, making it harder to deal with 'said' thing. - Okay, that was a clumsy sentence. :D Just remember you're not alone. (hugs - although, I'll let you into a secret, I'm not very good with hugs. Just ask my mum, she's always getting elbowed and sometimes I accidentally headbutted her. XD)

Just wanted to say that this exchange between the two of you makes me really happy and warm! I love how kindness spreads when we see people share it... like now, I want to be extra kind to everyone I work with tomorrow. They don't have SA (well, actually one of them, our very talented graphic artistst, does), but each one has something that presents an extra challenge for them every day. And now I'm inspired to keep that in mind when we get deadlines or meetings.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    igxJrm2.jpg

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito Thanks

@Bugsie2016

@simscognito

@Bugsie2016

Just wanted to say that this exchange between the two of you makes me really happy and warm! I love how kindness spreads when we see people share it... like now, I want to be extra kind to everyone I work with tomorrow. They don't have SA (well, actually one of them, our very talented graphic artistst, does), but each one has something that presents an extra challenge for them every day. And now I'm inspired to keep that in mind when we get deadlines or meetings.

rats i went the whole day not confused then my big sis showed up. lol.

whats Sa?

and do you set the meetings up.? i know you do the rest.
  • Options

and i'm not even to the good stuff yet.
    @friendsfan367 . What? You're not at the good stuff yet? I'm finding it hard to see how they could possibly be more entertaining. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top