Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Red World Bug

I've tried searching for fixes for this and the only ones I found were many years old so hopefully there's an easier fix? Anyway, some of my worlds in the Sims 3 are completely red, but operable. Sunset Valley and Hidden Springs are both plagued by this, but Starlight Shores and Monte Vista aren't. This happened after my pathetic attempt at trying to install mods. (I've never use mods for anything before)

I did tamper with the resource.cfg file, I didn't change anything but I had to download it or something if that has anything to do with it... I installed the weapons system mod, but it's very popular so I don't think it's a defective mod. I did have the Sims 3 Mod Manager but I completely deleted and uninstalled it, because apparently this has caused this bug before. My graphics card is top of the line and I can run and play anything...so it's not my graphics card.

If the only solution is to reinstall The Sims 3 what is the procedure? And if you could explain it to me as if I'm 10. xD. I honestly do not know all this "back up your files" and I don't want to risk thinking I did it right and find out I didn't back them up and losing everything. I also was told doing this means I have to reinstall every single content update/game patch singularly which I straight up am not doing...I don't got 100 hours to sit here.

If you can help me get my game back to normal I got a bit of left over Sim Points I can offer you.

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Before reinstalling your games, try moving the Sims 3 folder from My Documents\Electronic Arts folder. Don't delete or misplace it as you will need to get it back.

Then open a fresh game in each of the problem worlds and see if you still have the problem.
  • AmistadStarAmistadStar Posts: 41 New Member
    > @Karritz said:
    > Before reinstalling your games, try moving the Sims 3 folder from My Documents\Electronic Arts folder. Don't delete or misplace it as you will need to get it back.
    >
    > Then open a fresh game in each of the problem worlds and see if you still have the problem.

But does reinstalling involve having to uninstall/reinstall all of my expansion and stuff packs & worlds & store items? I literally have ~300 store items I've bought, a couple worlds.... and does it involve reinstalling every single patch singularly...which at this point would be like...100? Also, do I duplicate the file when moving it? Or do I just completely remove the file?

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and give the suggestion btw, like I really appreciate it.
    Don't Uninstall anything.

Just rename or move the Sims 3 folder to test to see if that fixes the problem.

The most usual cause of broken games is corrupted data. The data that gets corrupted is in the Sims 3 folder. All you are trying to do now is find out if you have a problem with corrupted data.
    > @Karritz said:
    > Don't Uninstall anything.
    >
    > Just rename or move the Sims 3 folder to test to see if that fixes the problem.
    >
    > The most usual cause of broken games is corrupted data. The data that gets corrupted is in the Sims 3 folder. All you are trying to do now is find out if you have a problem with corrupted data.

You most likely just saved me from bugging out my game even more. I just realized like a few hours ago I downloaded late night and I forgot to uninstall the mods which apparently can cause some really bad bugs in the game...but by moving the Sims 3 folder it caused it to make a different folder to operate...one that doesn't have my mods in it xD So thank you, loading the game up right now :3
    Excellent. Now you have to work out what you can move across from your old folder. Do it slowly and test. Make backups of the good folder as you go.

You will need to reinstall store content too.
    Hmmm, the cities still seem to be red :x
    I don't know if this is related but in create a Sim and build/buy base game items' pictures don't show up. I can wear/place the item, but the pictures in the thumbnails don't show up. Maybe something is just corrupted in the base game?
    Then you need to post you dxdialog report here. You might have a problem with your graphics card.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2015
    I believe the problem here is that "The Sims 3 Mod Manager" was a tool that attempted to automate the installation of mods the old way. That is, from before Patch 1.12, the one that came out with Ambitions. It has therefore altered the TS3 files and file structure within Programs, not the game folder as we know it today in Documents. Back in 2009 when this tool was released, that was how mods were handled and it hasn't been a supported configuration since around five years ago.

Hate to say this, but I don't think there is a shortcut that can be taken in this case outside of a total uninstall, registry clean, and reinstall of everything. Just having removed the Mod Manager would not have put things back the way they were.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall

Patches, by the way, do not have be installed separately.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-super-patcher
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Posts: 41 Member
    My Sims 3 also went red.. Right after installing a few new mods/cc. I had a back up from an earlier saved game so I moved the mods out and put all the mods back in except one mod. Sims 3 blessings and Disasters. So my question is now, is it the mod or was it my other saved game that was corrupted? I will probably be testing it tonight by backing my game up and then reinstalling that one mod. The only reason I am blaming that mod is because one other person said it caused red screen. The other 200 that downloaded it had no problems. I guess my actual question is do you think I should download the mod again and try to reinstall or do you think its the mod that caused the game corruption. What causes game corruption? I really want to understand...
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    @Naphtali - There is no real way to answer that without your testing it for yourself. It sounds like your game save is corrupted and the culprit that caused this corruption is either the mod you have already identified or the mod together with something else you have in play (another mod) that it is conflicting with. If you can revert to a copy of a prior save without the world being red and without the mod in place, and putting the mod back in causes the problem to reappear, then you have proven it.

The game is a huge database with lots of moving parts. A corrupted game save has data in the wrong places, thus causing all kinds of unwanted and unexpected problems. Once such corruption has been detected by the player, there is really no way to fix it. NRaas mods can help prevent corruption, but often enough once ErrorTrap starts barking at you about another mod causing these kinds of problems, they have probably already happened and gameplay has to revert to a prior save anyway.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net