Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Freeplay is everything Sims 4 should be and have

124...Next

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    We already pay for content - I have everything ever made for the Sims series - but the fact it was my choice to buy these things and not a requirement to move ahead without jumping hoops to try and earn it in an app. I will never spend a penny on an app nor will I ever keep doing the same thing over and over to earn that item - if I repeat something it is because I felt like it and not because I wanted a new level cook book. I buy packs for my game to enhance the whole over all game and enjoy it at my leisure - I do not need an app holding me back from the play I want because I am missing a plum upper level item. If I choose not to skill up a sim in my game - i am in no way penalized for not doing so. Apps virtually shake a finger in your face and hold you back until you do the next step - it is much like playing a mindless juvenile cartoon version of an MMO . For the same reason I never liked Sims online. There was not much difference in Sims online and Freeplay if you ask me.
    The grapes are sour said the fox because it couldn't reach them ;)
    I know that many elder simmers are too farsighted to be able to play the Sims Freeplay and other apps on mobile devices and unfortunately EA doesn't want to make a PC version because EA knows that Freeplay then would steal a lot of customers from TS4.

Stopping sims from aging in Freeplay cost nothing. Leveling sims up in different skills mostly only give a reward each time they reach a new level. But when the sims reach their top level (usually lvl 6 which doesn't take very long time to reach) it is usually a good idea to start over at lvl 1 in another skill because otherwise the sim can't be rewarded from leveling up anymore and the benefits from being at the top level is almost not existing.

I never played the Sims Online. But as far as I know it didn't have all the things which the Sims Freeplay has. I think the social connections to friend meant much more though than they do in the Sims Freeplay where you just need to be able to visit a copy of a friend's city and preferably a copy of a well developed city which have all the things you need. Otherwise friends don't matter.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    You do realize you can play any app on a pc - or don't you know that - for those elders that don't see well or who ever you are addressing. EA does not have to change a thing - Windows 10 made it easy, and there are numerous programs to add to you pc that lets you play any app - and you are not limited by the type of device you have. It's a new era - get with the program.

But honestly why on earth would I choose to play Freeplay or any app when my pc can play almost any game out there? I suppose if one has a short attention span they are all about apps - but rest assured that is not me. Nor is there any problem with my own vision - it is 20/20 sorry to bust your bubble. I don't even need glasses but sun glasses when i go outside. How is your vision?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    We already pay for content - I have everything ever made for the Sims series - but the fact it was my choice to buy these things and not a requirement to move ahead without jumping hoops to try and earn it in an app. I will never spend a penny on an app nor will I ever keep doing the same thing over and over to earn that item - if I repeat something it is because I felt like it and not because I wanted a new level cook book. I buy packs for my game to enhance the whole over all game and enjoy it at my leisure - I do not need an app holding me back from the play I want because I am missing a plum upper level item. If I choose not to skill up a sim in my game - i am in no way penalized for not doing so. Apps virtually shake a finger in your face and hold you back until you do the next step - it is much like playing a mindless juvenile cartoon version of an MMO . For the same reason I never liked Sims online. There was not much difference in Sims online and Freeplay if you ask me.
    I know that many elder simmers are too farsighted to be able to play the Sims Freeplay and other apps on mobile devices and unfortunately EA doesn't want to make a PC version because EA knows that Freeplay then would steal a lot of customers from TS4.

Stopping sims from aging in Freeplay cost nothing. Leveling sims up in different skills mostly only give a reward each time they reach a new level. But when the sims reach their top level (usually lvl 6 which doesn't take very long time to reach) it is usually a good idea to start over at lvl 1 in another skill because otherwise the sim can't be rewarded from leveling up anymore and the benefits from being at the top level is almost not existing.

I never played the Sims Online. But as far as I know it didn't have all the things which the Sims Freeplay has. I think the social connections to friend meant much more though than they do in the Sims Freeplay where you just need to be able to visit a copy of a friend's city and preferably a copy of a well developed city which have all the things you need. Otherwise friends don't matter.
    Come again..? :D

5JZ57S6.png
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Before anyone gets excited and thinks that Freeplay is light years away from TS4, let me put this in perspective:
    1. There are no traits
    2. There are no emotions
    3. There are no genetics
    4. You only get a tiny set of basic interactions, like "be nice", "be rude", "bro hug", "romance", etc. And they are the same across all relationships. Some relationships, you get maybe three more actions (like "play pattycake" and "woohoo"). But that's about it.
    5. It takes all of 10 minutes to get your sims from strangers to married.
    6. The camera is fixed and in isometric perspective, just like in Sim 1
    7. No NPCS at any of the venues. You have to make your sims stand in as waiter, barista, etc.
    8. Actions and interactions happen in real time.
    9. The objects all have limited purpose or functionality. The whole point of owning cars is so that you can click on the screen to collect coins.
    10. There is no role playing whatsoever. The entire game is just performing actions to either complete quests so you can earn premium items in the game or to earn enough money to unlock new venues.

Keep in mind that I'm not bashing Freeplay because I love the game for what it is and play it daily. But in comparing it to TS4, let's not go crazy.
    Even though most of the mentioned things are true there are more to it. But especially your idea about "no role playing whatsoever" is something that I can't agree with. Wikipedia describes role playing video games in the following way:
    "Several varieties of RPG also exist in electronic media, such as multi-player text-based MUDs and their graphics-based successors, massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). Role-playing games also include single-player role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling.[7][8]"

But the Sims Freeplay has many more quests than TS4 has and it is also about advancing in job levels and in hobby levels. The number of hobbies is even so huge that it is quite impossible to have sims working on all the hobbies at the same time. So even though neither TS4 nor the Sims Freeplay are RPG games Freeplay still is more about role playing than TS4 is ;)

Wikipedia describes role playing video games in the following way
    @Erpe by constantly quoting from other sources on the internet to help make your point, you are coming across as trying to be too politically correct! In this way it looks like you are not really getting the point that the poster is trying to convey.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    edited April 2017
    First of all Erpe in Sims Online your friends didn't have a city - Sims online had a City - all you could do is have 1 one adult Sim. Through game play, skilling up, leveling up or through earning money you could eventually get a lot to earn the money to build something on. Everything cost money - everything.

If you were lucky enough to be on the same server as your friends and they were in the game when you were you could say hi to them other wise you saw their Sims where ever they left it when they were online just standing there like a statue - not moving - not doing anything. There was a lot of Sims like that - but if they were in the game yes you could type to each other.

The town was made by Maxis - we could not change it. It was a place to go for skilling and to work one of 4 jobs. The game was all about skilling and leveling up - and boring as beans drying - unless your idea of fun is endless slow (in real time) skilling.

The Sims online was nothing like the Sims we play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHrpxbnoJw
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

First of all Erpe in Sims Online your friends didn't have a city - Sims online had a City - all you could do is have 1 one adult Sim. Through game play, skilling up, leveling up or through earning money you could eventually get a lot to earn the money to build something on. Everything cost money - everything.

If you were lucky enough to be on the same server as your friends and they were in the game when you were you could say hi to them other wise you saw their Sims where ever they left it when they were online just standing there like a statue - not moving - not doing anything. There was a lot of Sims like that - but if they were in the game yes you could type to each other.

The town was made by Maxis - we could not change it. It was a place to go for skilling and to work one of 4 jobs. The game was all about skilling and leveling up - and boring as beans drying - unless your idea of fun is endless slow (in real time) skilling.

You just confirmed that the Sims Online was extremely different from the Sims Freeplay and made me remember why I didn't even try the Sims Online :)

In the Sims Freeplayer each player has his/her own city and can have a maximum of 34 sims (at level 55 which is the top level which can be reached within reasonable time). We can visit copies of our friends cities. But only with one sim at the time and because we only visit a copy of the city our friends will never know if we visited the city or not.

So the Sims Freeplay isn't a social game at all like the Sims Online was.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member

@Writin_Reg Not sure if you know this or not, but The Sims Online has been resurrected under the name FreeSO. There is an open beta version going on right now that anyone is welcome to join. The nice thing is, it's free! No monthly fee!!!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    edited April 2017
    ehaught58 wrote: »

@Writin_Reg Not sure if you know this or not, but The Sims Online has been resurrected under the name FreeSO. There is an open beta version going on right now that anyone is welcome to join. The nice thing is, it's free! No monthly fee!!!

Yes, I see that. Thanks ED. I saw they have some you tube video's up - at least they have the servers so you actually can play with others - I could not ever get on the same servers as my niece, my sister - in - law, and my daughter - in law when EA was running it. Funny we all have the same internet, lived about 20 minutes from each other - but never ended up on the same servers somehow. It blew my mind.

The last version of Sims online - EA named EA Land - they had dropped the cost of buying the game and having to a 10 dollar a month fee. It was a free download and no monthly charge but every thing in game still either cost you money or you spend endless hours skilling and selling stuff to buy any thing. It ran in real time too.

Unfortunately EA Land lasted a whole 6 weeks. World wide they could not even get 2000 players to play the game. LOL.

BUt it already looks like these simmers are doing a better job with the online than EA did. At least you can play with someone else you know now.

ETA - Checked it out - they have the same problem EA had after all - with server issues and hackers. Not a safe place to go either - Security - very risky as non-existant pretty much. Right now I guess because of the server it is not even really operational but I would not recommend it anyway period. Seems like a dangerous game to join even once they can - if ever solve server issues. Hackers may surely have a field day worse than when EA had it.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

Yes, I see that. Thanks ED. I saw they have some you tube video's up - at least they have the servers so you actually can play with others - I could not ever get on the same servers as my niece, my sister - in - law, and my daughter - in law when EA was running it. Funny we all have the same internet, lived about 20 minutes from each other - but never ended up on the same servers somehow. It blew my mind.

The last version of Sims online - EA named EA Land - they had dropped the cost of buying the game and having to a 10 dollar a month fee. It was a free download and no monthly charge but every thing in game still either cost you money or you spend endless hours skilling and selling stuff to buy any thing. It ran in real time too.

Unfortunately EA Land lasted a whole 6 weeks. World wide they could not even get 2000 players to play the game. LOL.

BUt it already looks like these simmers are doing a better job with the online than EA did. At least you can play with someone else you know now.
    The competition between such games has become huge and it is almost impossible for a game to be successful if it has paid monthly subscriptions. The same is the case if the game costs money or if ingame purchases are mandatory. So now such games are usually free to play. Even so they are more profitable than ever because decorative objects and other things sell very well even though the prices for such voluntary purchases are extremely high.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    no its not I'm glad you like something though
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited April 2017

The competition between such games has become huge and it is almost impossible for a game to be successful if it has paid monthly subscriptions. The same is the case if the game costs money or if ingame purchases are mandatory. So now such games are usually free to play. Even so they are more profitable than ever because decorative objects and other things sell very well even though the prices for such voluntary purchases are extremely high.

I don't know about that being impossible - WOW always had a paid subscription and has millions of players. Many, many WOW players in my family and they pay a lot for everything including 15 bucks (200 a year there abouts) a month to play the game (plus the cost of each ep too at about 60 bucks each, & expensive dlc too ). Hubby has been playing that since the start and still plays. That is not the only subscription mmo he has either. But they average around 8 million regular players paying that monthly subscription since 2004.

In dreams - I LIVE!

I don't know about that being impossible - WOW always had a paid subscription and has millions of players. Many, many WOW players in my family and they pay a lot for everything including 15 bucks (200 a year there abouts) a month to play the game (plus the cost of each ep too at about 60 bucks each, & expensive dlc too ). Hubby has been playing that since the start and still plays. That is not the only subscription mmo he has either. But they average around 8 million regular players paying that monthly subscription since 2004.
    Yes, I know that WoW is the exception. Just a few years ago there also were quite many other MMO games that required a monthly description. But they all either got their server closed down or became free to play. And since then all new MMO games have been free to play too. But even so there are now more MMO games than ever before.

The Sims Freeplay is just EA's attempt to use that concept too for the Sims game and it seems to have been much more successful than any other earlier attempts by EA to use the Sims concept on other platform or as on online game. It was released for iOS in 2011 but then also for android and kindle in 2012. In 2013 it even was released for both Windows Phone and Blackberry 10. So there is no doubt that EA considers Freeplay to have been very successful and profitable.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Needing glasses to correct eyesight doesn't happen just because you age. Or there would be a lot of 'kids' not playing Sims Free To Play.
    No, I know that some kids also need glasses. But it is usually because of astigmatism.

Personally I never used glasses as a kid. But I read too much and began to be nearsighted on one of my eyes when I was in highschool. Later I became nearsighted on my other eye too. But today I am very happy for that because otherwise I now would have needed reading glasses like almost everybody at my age do. Instead I now can read and use a PC without needing glasses at all. The only downside is that it is too hard for me to read texts on my TV without glasses and I also need my glasses when I am outside.
    It's a matter of taste. I prefer PC games made for PC. I prefer The Sims Series for PC. I don't play apps and or console games, not my forte.
    I was a PC gamer earlier too. But I like to be able to play on my tablets and watching TV at the same time (mostly news which I also can hear without looking at the screen all the time). And I love that I also can play in my bed before I sleep. But most people at my age say that they get headaches if they play on a small screen. The cause for that clearly is that their eyes are too close to the screen and they are usually farsighted. But they don't get the same headaches when they play on a PC because their eyes then are farther away from the screen.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Needing glasses to correct eyesight doesn't happen just because you age. Or there would be a lot of 'kids' not playing Sims Free To Play.
    No, I know that some kids also need glasses. But it is usually because of astigmatism.

Personally I never used glasses as a kid. But I read too much and began to be nearsighted on one of my eyes when I was in highschool. Later I became nearsighted on my other eye too. But today I am very happy for that because otherwise I now would have needed reading glasses like almost everybody at my age do. Instead I now can read and use a PC without needing glasses at all. The only downside is that it is too hard for me to read texts on my TV without glasses and I also need my glasses when I am outside.
    It's a matter of taste. I prefer PC games made for PC. I prefer The Sims Series for PC. I don't play apps and or console games, not my forte.
    I was a PC gamer earlier too. But I like to be able to play on my tablets and watching TV at the same time (mostly news which I also can hear without looking at the screen all the time). And I love that I also can play in my bed before I sleep. But most people at my age say that they get headaches if they play on a small screen. The cause for that clearly is that their eyes are too close to the screen and they are usually farsighted. But they don't get the same headaches when they play on a PC because their eyes then are farther away from the screen.

I like news, too. That's why my pc is in the same room as my TV. I play and listen. On my desktop. I need a big screen for my pc because I have cataracts. Huge Sim game. lol I got stuck on The Sims and decided I don't like the console, tablet versions. I like the life simulators. But I thought TSM was good for what it was.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    I'm another Oldie But Goodie person who had to give up The Sims Freeplay game.

My eyes could not read the small font on my cellphone, my left hand would become numb with pins and needles sensations from holding it and It was costing me too much money (approx. $150.00 US for 3 months- those .99 cent charges add up).

I bought a new PC and researched The Sims to see if I could play on my computer. That's when I found TS4. I had played TS1 on a PC but missed out on TS2 & TS3. I was in heaven. I've been happily Simming for the last 18 months. Of course I have all the packs. I've spent $270 over that time period on TS4. I think $ 15.00/month is a better bargain than $ 50.00.

What can I say other than "I love the Sims."

I like news, too. That's why my pc is in the same room as my TV. I play and listen. On my desktop. I need a big screen for my pc because I have cataracts. Huge Sim game. lol I got stuck on The Sims and decided I don't like the console, tablet versions. I like the life simulators. But I thought TSM was good for what it was.
    We agree quite much about this - and also about TSM. I have often thought about buying a console. But I don't like the games for consoles because they all seem to be action games and to buy a console just to try Sims games (when EA still made them for consoles) wasn't that tempting because those games didn't even have kids.

But I have tried all the Sims games for mobile devices. The Sims Freeplay is the only of them that was worth playing though. I also didn't try the Sims Online because everybody played in the same city and because it even cost a monthly subscription which it certainly wasn't worth for me. The Sims Social was another Sims game which I didn't try because I don't like Facebook and because I am not a social gamer at all.

Sorry that your eyes give your such problems and prohibit you from even trying the Sims Freeplay. EA should make a PC version of Freeplay. But alas EA won't do it because EA doesn't want Freeplay to compete more with TS4. This probably won't change even if EA also releases TS5.