Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Freeplay is everything Sims 4 should be and have

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2015
    IngeJones wrote: »
    As I said on another site, I think too much of the development time is given over to concept art and writing the engine. The game scripting teams and meshers and animators get brought in with about a year to spare, if that, so on top of not having time to put much in in the first place, by the time they find out the engine isn't going to easily support something they would like to write, it's pretty much too late to do anything about it.

Exactly. To add to that it seems The Sims 4 actually rejected their even better versions of the sims 4 that had varying heights instead of the version we ended up with. I actually was impressed with the first version of the offline game i saw the post of - the boy child was taller than the girl child and teens were shorter than they are now - so I cannot figure out why they did not go with those instead of these. They even changed the map and at first i assumed it was for the online until i found out they had no kids or teens in the online - it was actually the first version of the offline Sims 4. Oh and it even had usable cars. I sure would like the Sims team to explain why they did not finish developing that version.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    axel1015axel1015 Posts: 952 Member
    Agreed!
    FreshLion55 on the Gallery! Happy simming! >:)
  • Options
    KattycakeKattycake Posts: 274 Member
    Why didn't they develop cars :( sounds like a much better version imo
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Kattycake wrote: »
    Why didn't they develop cars :( sounds like a much better version imo
    You can't compare the Sims Freeplay with the Sims 4 because those games are not only designed for different platforms - they are also based on different ideas and developed by different teams in two different countries.

1. The Sims Freeplay is developed as a free-to-play online multiplayer game by EA Firemonkeys in Melbourne, Australia. Such games are free to play with the idea that they then will have a much bigger amount of people playing them. But even though they are free they offer two types of content which can be bought for real money and thus pay the wages for all the developers:
    a. They offer decorations to download just like the Sims 3 store did.
    b. They offer things to speed the game up for impatient players.

But even so everybody can play such games for free if they want. But especially point b means that the game has to be designed a little different. Therefore in the Sims Freeplay many things are locked in the beginning and you don't have access to everything until you have completed some quests. Not everybody like that. But it is the alternative to making a paid offline game instead like EA also did not earlier for mobile platforms - just without much success because EA can't sell big expansions too for such devices.

2. The Sims 4 is instead made in Redwood City, California with the idea that it is a paid offline game which should have especially more SPs among its expansions than ever before. Therefore the basegame was a little more simplified than earlier and about half of the EPs are now replaced by smaller GPs. (The Plan now seems to be to release a GP or an EP about every 5 months and always to alternate between GPs and EPs and to release about 5 SPs too each year.) The EPs seem also to have become a little smaller than earlier which I see as a "proof" that EA has wanted to move as many developers as possible to the SP teams.

But it is obvious that even EA sees the Sims Freeplay as a competitor to TS4 and that EA has attempted to avoid the Sims Freeplay from becoming a bigger threat to the Sims 4 by not letting EA Firemonkeys make a PC version of Freeplay too like all other game companies usually do with similar free-to-play games. The Sims Freeplay is even available in versions for Kindle and Blackberry too though :)

Cars and many other things are in the Sims Freeplay because there were no reason to postpone them for later expansions like EA did in TS4. (Only low sales numbers could probably motivate EA to rethink that idea.)
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    the downside to freeplay is the cost. i did not like sims 4 and for one reason, no toddlers. i am quite happy with them now and play it much more. granted it would be nice to have more lots available but i treat the various "worlds" as neighbourhoods and that gets me through. to have them eventually add some of freeplay stuff, that would be amazing!
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I haven't played Freeplay in years, I don't recall many of this stuff being in there. If it is though, that's disappointing. I would much rather play TS4 than Freeplay anyday though, TS4 feels more alive and more complete.
  • Options
    the downside to freeplay is the cost. i did not like sims 4 and for one reason, no toddlers. i am quite happy with them now and play it much more. granted it would be nice to have more lots available but i treat the various "worlds" as neighbourhoods and that gets me through. to have them eventually add some of freeplay stuff, that would be amazing!
    Not understood!? Why do you see the fact that the Sims Freeplay is free to play as a downside?!??
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Playing an ap is the downside - period.

I don't own a super computer to play aps. It's like choosing to get a tricycle for transportation instead of a car. To each their own - i prefer the Jaguar. I don't care if the tricycle is free. You like aps that is your choice (obviously seeing that is actually what you play. You just seem to come here to annoy the ones of us who like real video games. That is YOUR choice - but think of it this way you don't see us over in the Free Play section tearing apart your beloved aps like you do the actual video game - do you. No - we leave you and FreePlay alone because that is not our game of choice. I mean come on - the thing is free and many of us still reject it. What does that say to you about how good some of us think that is. It is an ap for crying out loud.

I just fail to see why you get your jollies out of coming here and constantly harassing people who prefer the actual Sims games. I don't get it. I do not go around to games I don't play or support and attack the players or the game there - I fail to see the point. Different strokes for different folks. Let it Be. Go play what you like, but this is not FREEPLAY!!!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Playing an ap is the downside - period.

I don't own a super computer to play aps. It's like choosing to get a tricycle for transportation instead of a car. To each their own - i prefer the Jaguar. I don't care if the tricycle is free. You like aps that is your choice (obviously seeing that is actually what you play. You just seem to come here to annoy the ones of us who like real video games. That is YOUR choice - but think of it this way you don't see us over in the Free Play section tearing apart your beloved aps like you do the actual video game - do you. No - we leave you and FreePlay alone because that is not our game of choice. I mean come on - the thing is free and many of us still reject it. What does that say to you about how good some of us think that is. It is an ap for crying out loud.

I just fail to see why you get your jollies out of coming here and constantly harassing people who prefer the actual Sims games. I don't get it. I do not go around to games I don't play or support and attack the players or the game there - I fail to see the point. Different strokes for different folks. Let it Be. Go play what you like, but this is not FREEPLAY!!!
    Not understood. The definition of "app" is:

"An application program (app or application for short) is a computer program designed to perform a group of coordinated functions, tasks, or activities for the benefit of the user. Examples of an application include a word processor, a spreadsheet, an accounting application, a web browser, a media player, an aeronautical flight simulator, a console game or a photo editor. The collective noun application software refers to all applications collectively.[1] This contrasts with system software, which is mainly involved with running the computer.

Applications may be bundled with the computer and its system software or published separately, and may be coded as proprietary, open-source or university projects.[2] Apps built for mobile platforms are called mobile apps.

So you want to play without using an application program? Does that mean that you want to build your houses using Lego blocks instead? ;)

You seem to be here mostly for bragging about your expensive computer and your influence on EA. But you don't even know that computers can't do anything without application programs??
    Post edited by Erpe on
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I have never played Free play and probably never will, cause I am a PC gamer and have played Sims since the first one, so I am to obsessed with the Sims on pc franchise, to even consider leaving it for a lousy mobile, :)
  • Options
    I have never played Free play and probably never will, cause I am a PC gamer and have played Sims since the first one, so I am to obsessed with the Sims on pc franchise, to even consider leaving it for a lousy mobile, :)
    Then you must hope that EA soon will allow a PC version too like most other game companies do with similar MMO games :)

Mobile devices now has far stronger processors, much more RAM and much more memory than even PCs had a few years ago in the Sims 2 days. But I also know that especially elders most often are farsighted and have to wear glasses which means that they have problems about playing on small screens. I am not very young myself. But I am so lucky to always have been nearsighted which now even mean that I have better vision on close range without my glasses than if I wear them. Therefore I don't wear them when I am playing on my PC, my phone or my iPad. My vision on such close ranges is as good as it was when I was a teen. Therefore I don't mind small screens. But I would have to wear glasses if I should use a PlayStation or Xbox for my TV ;)
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Then you must hope that EA soon will allow a PC version too like most other game companies do with similar MMO games :)

Mobile devices now has far stronger processors, much more RAM and much more memory than even PCs had a few years ago in the Sims 2 days. But I also know that especially elders most often are farsighted and have to wear glasses which means that they have problems about playing on small screens. I am not very young myself. But I am so lucky to always have been nearsighted which now even mean that I have better vision on close range without my glasses than if I wear them. Therefore I don't wear them when I am playing on my PC, my phone or my iPad. My vision on such close ranges is as good as it was when I was a teen. Therefore I don't mind small screens. But I would have to wear glasses if I should use a PlayStation or Xbox for my TV ;)

Yup a PC version would be nice, I am hoping to one day be able to play that version on My PC , since small screens give Me Headaches.
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Before anyone gets excited and thinks that Freeplay is light years away from TS4, let me put this in perspective:
    1. There are no traits
    2. There are no emotions
    3. There are no genetics
    4. You only get a tiny set of basic interactions, like "be nice", "be rude", "bro hug", "romance", etc. And they are the same across all relationships. Some relationships, you get maybe three more actions (like "play pattycake" and "woohoo"). But that's about it.
    5. It takes all of 10 minutes to get your sims from strangers to married.
    6. The camera is fixed and in isometric perspective, just like in Sim 1
    7. No NPCS at any of the venues. You have to make your sims stand in as waiter, barista, etc.
    8. Actions and interactions happen in real time.
    9. The objects all have limited purpose or functionality. The whole point of owning cars is so that you can click on the screen to collect coins.
    10. There is no role playing whatsoever. The entire game is just performing actions to either complete quests so you can earn premium items in the game or to earn enough money to unlock new venues.

Keep in mind that I'm not bashing Freeplay because I love the game for what it is and play it daily. But in comparing it to TS4, let's not go crazy.

EiFlric.png
  • Options
    Not understood!? Why do you see the fact that the Sims Freeplay is free to play as a downside?!??

It stems from an impoverished mindset that so many gamers have today. Gamers have taught themselves to believe that anything that they get--even stuff that is free--is "taking away" from them somehow.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Before anyone gets excited and thinks that Freeplay is light years away from TS4, let me put this in perspective:
    1. There are no traits
    2. There are no emotions
    3. There are no genetics
    4. You only get a tiny set of basic interactions, like "be nice", "be rude", "bro hug", "romance", etc. And they are the same across all relationships. Some relationships, you get maybe three more actions (like "play pattycake" and "woohoo"). But that's about it.
    7. No NPCS at any of the venues. You have to make your sims stand in as waiter, barista, etc.
    9. The objects all have limited purpose or functionality. The whole point of owning cars is so that you can click on the screen to collect coins.
    10. There is no role playing whatsoever. The entire game is just performing actions to either complete quests so you can earn premium items in the game or to earn enough money to unlock new venues.

Keep in mind that I'm not bashing Freeplay because I love the game for what it is and play it daily. But in comparing it to TS4, let's not go crazy.

Lol, this is how I save on real estate. Get sims to the move in interaction and have them share a home. Takes all of a few minutes. :) I only play to complete the challenges and quests.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ts1depot wrote: »
    1. There are no traits
    2. There are no emotions
    3. There are no genetics

Even though most of the mentioned things are true there are more to it. But especially your idea about "no role playing whatsoever" is something that I can't agree with. Wikipedia describes role playing video games in the following way:
    "Several varieties of RPG also exist in electronic media, such as multi-player text-based MUDs and their graphics-based successors, massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). Role-playing games also include single-player role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling.[7][8]"

But the Sims Freeplay has many more quests than TS4 has and it is also about advancing in job levels and in hobby levels. The number of hobbies is even so huge that it is quite impossible to have sims working on all the hobbies at the same time. So even though neither TS4 nor the Sims Freeplay are RPG games Freeplay still is more about role playing than TS4 is ;)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, I'm not sorry for saying Sims Free Play is Not everything TS4 should be or any other PC game. It's in real time. Can you imagine playing The Sims in real time? omg.....no. It's microtransactions would be a horrible idea of a game in the PC Series. Don't even tell me you would want to spend real money to get a cook book level 2 for your Sims? Really? I think TS4 is already flawed to the hilt because it borrows these business models and premises and is built like an online game which had to be short- circuited from the get go. It borrows MMO elements in everything that goes into as it is. It borrows way too much Free to Play ideas such as linear chores. Just no, never do this to the PC community again.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I'm not sorry for saying Sims Free Play is Not everything TS4 should be or any other PC game. It's in real time. Can you imagine playing The Sims in real time? omg.....no. It's microtransactions would be a horrible idea of a game in the PC Series. Don't even tell me you would want to spend real money to get a cook book level 2 for your Sims? Really? I think TS4 is already flawed to the hilt because it borrows these business models and premises and is built like an online game which had to be short- circuited from the get go. It borrows MMO elements in everything that goes into as it is. It borrows way too much Free to Play ideas such as linear chores. Just no, never do this to the PC community again.
    I can see that you don't know what you are talking about because you haven't ever played the Sims Freeplay :)

I find the Sims Freeplay boring too now because I have done all the quests and have had the maximal population of 34 sims for many months at lvl 55 which is the highest possible level. But I have never used real money on the game. I am VIP4 though because I got this as a present from EA because I helped other simmers in the forum. But even that isn't important.

I just watched a video from TS4 on twitch tv. That is I only watched the first 10 minutes of the one hour video because it all happened in create-a-sim where the video just demonstrated all the many possible outfits. I waited and waited for the video to go on. Then I lost my patience and jumped half an hour ahead - only to see some very boring gameplay where the now created sim slowly walked around in the garden. How extremely boring. So I just got confirmed in my impression that TS4 likely is the most boring Sims game ever created. A good thing that I only bought the basegame and GP01.

It is true though that you can choose to buy more cloths and stuff for real money in Freeplay - just like you can in TS4 :)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    But especially your idea about "no role playing whatsoever" is something that I can't agree with. Wikipedia describes role playing video games in the following way:
    "Several varieties of RPG also exist in electronic media, such as multi-player text-based MUDs and their graphics-based successors, massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). Role-playing games also include single-player role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling.[7][8]"

I was not talking about "RPGs." I was talking about the ability of players to play out stories with their sims. It seems as if just because I mentioned "role playing" and "quests" in the same sentence you thought I was talking about RPGs, which is something else entirely.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    I've played freeplay and it was.. very boring but my little sister likes it.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Sims Freeplay (App) vs Sims 4 PC?

That is like comparing night and day. Not even that it's more like comparing a cardboard box on the sidewalk to a house. Some CONCEPTS with the sims freeplay would be nice to see in game, but the game itself is faulty. Just like a big majority of app games it works around using real money to advance. That's just a big ol' no for me. Optional to play for free, but advancing is a major grind fest if you don't have the cash. REAL TIME on doing simple tasks which is boring as all you can do is watch your sim and come back in the time they're done doing whatever if you don't have any speed ups.

NEED wifi internet as you have no option to play online. Freeplay is only good to play for what a few minutes to pass the time on a car ride or on your lunch break if even that. You'd probably spend more money in game to do tasks than a fully fledge expansion pack. All that junk needs to stay out of my sims one player experience please and thank you.

TS4 isn't pristine as it has it faults like any other sims game, but I sure as heck wouldn't want it to be anything like Sims Freeplay. It's like buchering the franchise to its most basic form below the sims 1. I just can't.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ZakaryQuackZakaryQuack Posts: 59 Member
    I hate free play though. All creativity is stifled in my opinion. So limiting, but then it is only a mobile game as you say.
    yqhMsxf.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I can see that you don't know what you are talking about because you haven't ever played the Sims Freeplay :)

I find the Sims Freeplay boring too now because I have done all the quests and have had the maximal population of 34 sims for many months at lvl 55 which is the highest possible level. But I have never used real money on the game. I am VIP4 though because I got this as a present from EA because I helped other simmers in the forum. But even that isn't important.

I just watched a video from TS4 on twitch tv. That is I only watched the first 10 minutes of the one hour video because it all happened in create-a-sim where the video just demonstrated all the many possible outfits. I waited and waited for the video to go on. Then I lost my patience and jumped half an hour ahead - only to see some very boring gameplay where the now created sim slowly walked around in the garden. How extremely boring. So I just got confirmed in my impression that TS4 likely is the most boring Sims game ever created. A good thing that I only bought the basegame and GP01.

It is true though that you can choose to buy more cloths and stuff for real money in Freeplay - just like you can in TS4 :)

I don't need to play a free to play game to know I'm not going to appreciate if I want to have a Sim child I have to level up and buy something....give me a break. I don't have to play it to know it's a big fat no from me. I know exactly how it works the forum is on this site. Figure I ever read it? Sometimes, but been awhile. I'm not going to shell out money for a level or an object or wait 24/48 hours to do something in game. Learned my lesson with Virtual Villagers with that stuff in real time. Talk about outrage on here if you had to wait a real 24 hours for you Sim to have a Sim kid or finish homework. TS4 has plenty of linear play the other games didn't have and linear play belongs only in RPGs and MMOs.
  • Options

I don't need to play a free to play game to know I'm not going to appreciate if I want to have a Sim child I have to level up and buy something....give me a break. I don't have to play it to know it's a big fat no from me. I know exactly how it works the forum is on this site. Figure I ever read it? Sometimes, but been awhile. I'm not going to shell out money for a level or an object or wait 24/48 hours to do something in game. Learned my lesson with Virtual Villagers with that stuff in real time. Talk about outrage on here if you had to wait a real 24 hours for you Sim to have a Sim kid or finish homework. TS4 has plenty of linear play the other games didn't have and linear play belongs only in RPGs and MMOs.
    You can't compare the Sims Freeplay with old games like the Virtual Villager games which were based on not always very easy quests and had ugly graphics. Also the Virtual Villager games were made by a very small game company with only 5 employees (and only one artist among them). But the Sims Freeplay is made by EA Firemonkeys who has dozens of developers and much better technology.

Virtual Villagers had too linear gameplay too. But if you would like a much better game which has quests too and don't mind that it is a little harder than the Sims games then I would recommend you to try Sunken Secrets. It is one of the best games that I have played in years.

TS4 is boring because it has no goals and mostly just is about building houses, dressing up the sims and taking pictures or videos. Then you can buy SPs just to let your next house and its family look a little different. Maybe this is enough for you. But for me it is extremely boring.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    We already pay for content - I have everything ever made for the Sims series - but the fact it was my choice to buy these things and not a requirement to move ahead without jumping hoops to try and earn it in an app. I will never spend a penny on an app nor will I ever keep doing the same thing over and over to earn that item - if I repeat something it is because I felt like it and not because I wanted a new level cook book. I buy packs for my game to enhance the whole over all game and enjoy it at my leisure - I do not need an app holding me back from the play I want because I am missing a stupid upper level item. If I choose not to skill up a sim in my game - i am in no way penalized for not doing so. Apps virtually shake a finger in your face and hold you back until you do the next step - it is much like playing a mindless juvenile cartoon version of an MMO . For the same reason I never liked Sims online. There was not much difference in Sims online and Freeplay if you ask me.

In dreams - I LIVE!