Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Freeplay is everything Sims 4 should be and have

Comments

• Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    Kattycake wrote: »
    They are continuing to develop for this sims mobile game. I think it is a whole different developer location. Emeryville is making Sims 4 right?
    I think it just depends on who is working on it.

Emeryville was SimCity. EA shut Maxis Emeryville down. It's gone.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8149791/ea-closes-maxis-simcity-the-sims
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    KattycakeKattycake Posts: 274 Member
    @WolfEyes I apologize. You're right. I get confused between Emeryville and Redwood. @_@ I wasn't sure who was developing Freeplay but according to this thread FireMonkey Studios is helping out EA. Never heard of them, but apparently they make mobile apps.
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Freeplay has more fun to it than Sims 4 does. I played Freeplay for about a month before I got bored, and I played Sims 4 for 4 days until I got bored.

Freeplay just feels more complete, a mobile game being more complete than a PC game says something.
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    @WolfEyes I apologize. You're right. I get confused between Emeryville and Redwood. @_@ I wasn't sure who was developing Freeplay but according to this thread FireMonkey Studios is helping out EA. Never heard of them, but apparently they make mobile apps.

Nothing to apologize for. :)

Redwood Shores is EA HQ so it won't be closed anytime soon. ;)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    .... I'm pretty sure a majority of them come from a mobile background, which doesn't require any complex coding. So I don't know.

complex coding has nothing to do with mobile or PC
    there are dumb & simple games on both platforms
    & there are darn good games with depth to them also

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    .... I'm pretty sure a majority of them come from a mobile background, which doesn't require any complex coding. So I don't know.

complex coding has nothing to do with mobile or PC
    there are dumb & simple games on both platforms
    & there are darn good games with depth to them also
    LOL best comment yet. Yeah I think both games are kind of the most minimal effort put into the franchise. Less work, but sell for more money, so maximum profits thinking. It does make me fearful of the Sims 5 given how poor and task orientated both the Sims 4 and the Sims Freeplay is. There are actually a lot of similarities between both games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    @Scobre I remember reading that Sims 5 may not even be in the plans if Sims 4 doesn't turn out. To be honest, I think another company/developer/publisher may try and take over the life sim genre.
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    @Scobre I remember reading that Sims 5 may not even be in the plans if Sims 4 doesn't turn out. To be honest, I think another company/developer/publisher may try and take over the life sim genre.
    Yeah they probably will. Funny how the Sims 4 is the first of the series to make that threat. I think the Gurus knew ahead of time the game would not be as popular as the other game simply by making that statement. It got taken back, but following statements of things like being too hard and too expensive and holding back reviewers from checking the game before the release were all red flags that kept popping up. So it's no surprise that even eight months after people are still unhappy with the game. Anyway I've said it before, the Sims 4 would have made a great console or side game, but part of the main series, it comes off as sort of an embarrassment. Emotions and multitasking and smart Sims were all supposed to be the highlights of the game. But eight months after, emotions still don't work, there is still incest, musical chairs occur and multitasking isn't as fleshed out as it could have been in some area, and the Sims I hate to say it are dumber than the Sims Freeplay ones even. Basically it's EA/Maxis decision whether to produce fun games or not. After eight months the game still not being fun and issues are still occurring, it's looking more and more like a SimCity 2013 repeat. I mean I want the Sims 4 to be good, but if the community is going to be ignored and everything is going to be too hard to do for whatever excuse, it's just not setting the game or the franchise for a good future. :( But I do see competition coming in like how Paradox Interactive did when SimCity didn't do well either.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    You mean the game was supposed to be a mobile game? Hm that makes a whole lot of sense! Considering this game is so small and unfit to be a next gen Sims game. I'll keep this in mind
  • Options
    mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
    That makes me sad that it could be handed off to another company. However, if they decide to do that and maybe both do work on it, another triple set of eyes could help
    Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
    Link to my blog: https://www.merismusings.wordpress.com
    Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990
    Add me on Origin: mwyatt139

event.png
  • Options
    Teresita wrote: »
    You mean the game was supposed to be a mobile game? Hm that makes a whole lot of sense! Considering this game is so small and unfit to be a next gen Sims game. I'll keep this in mind

@Teresita I think the Sims 4 was originally going to be an online multiplayer game (according to multiple rumors). But the Sims Freeplay is already a mobile game. The Sims mobile game, released in 2011, so it isn't like Sims 4 was meant to be mobile platform anyway. At least I think.

dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think the Sims 4 was originally going to be an online multiplayer game (according to multiple rumors). But the Sims Freeplay is already a mobile game. The Sims mobile game, released in 2011, so it isn't like Sims 4 was meant to be mobile platform anyway. At least I think.
    It wasn't a rumor. http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/90934806596/the-sims-4-pools-toddlers-what-happened The Sims 4 was going to be an online game at one time.
    "Sims 4 Got to work on clustered servers, chat systems, scaling and performance, and other internet style stuff when it was an internet based game. Also became python internals guru. "

Concept video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IPZDJ-pt0
    Why the switch from online to offline was made: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/16268/article/ea-simcity-s-o

The boxes for it:
    sims4mulit1-1024x259.png

The billboards for it:
    sims4multi3-1024x256.png
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    When I first started playing Sims Free Play, you got a free dog when you started your game. You also got a free car. But that was then, and this is now. Now you have to pay for the dog and the car, and it's real cash not the game currency, if I'm not mistaken. Also, the game plays in real time, which means that if you put your Sim to bed for 8 hours, the Sim sleeps for a literal 8 hours.

Needless to say, I don't play Sims Free-to-Pay...er Play anymore.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Yeah but that "game" is one of those free to play money pits where you can't actually DO anything or experience any of that content without dropping truckloads of cash or waiting asinine amounts of time. It's not like you can just sit down and play it and do what you want when you want.

To be fair I haven't actually played sims freeplay for years because I can't stand those types of money pit apps, but I'm kind of doubting any of that content is all too fleshed out.

Exactly and they are similar with their RPG boring tasks, like do xx 5 times. There may be more stuff in free time, built up over time, but it's not indepth. I used to play it for something to do in front of tv, but I started falling asleep. I tried again recently with more content, but I still find it boring.

I may be old but I am so surprised that this game makes money. It's costs so much for such a small amount of benefit. If I still had children in my care, there's no way I would ever allow expediture on it.
  • Options
    AtticusAtticus Posts: 86 Member
    I can't stand sims free play any more. I got tired of watching my sims garden for 7 hours. Then have them garden again. Also the lack of free will irks me.

So no. I hope sims 4 never becomes like sims free play.
  • Options
    @Scobre THANK YOU! Omg I had no idea about that video. A part of me feels like this might have been something if there was also a single player option.

And @cherpar @Jarsie9 @Atticus

I agree, I mean it is a mobile cash game. I guess I'm just pointing out the content not the gameplay itself. It is also a time consumer. Like heavily. Not a true sims game, but a life sim game with a lot more than Sims 4 has to offer (in my opinion). Just the hobbies, locations, careers, new life stage pre-teen, etc. Obviously if it was a PC game, nobody would do the micro-transactional real-time aspect of it.

Like I said to clarify, I am talking about the content and features only. Not real time gameplay and micro transactional money grabbing scheme here.
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    AtticusAtticus Posts: 86 Member
    Fair enough. I imagine in 10 years sims 4 will finally have everything everyone wants and then they will start sims 5.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2015
    All the Apps are made over at the Salt Lake City Studios and i believe the Sims things are made under the direction of Lucy Bradshaw who goes back to the beginning of the Sims franchise with Sims 1. She was with Will Wright so it stands to reason anything made under her direction has the full heart and soul of what the sims is supposed to be all about. Also I heard Ben Belle is or was anyway also at that studio, and he was the force behind Sims 3. So very much totally different teams. Too bad it is an App - and I don't do apps. My telephone is just a telephone that can text and take pictures. That is the way it will stay. I put good money into my desktop so I play computer games so will never try Free Play seeing it is an app. I won't put apps on my pc.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited May 2015
    @Scobre THANK YOU! Omg I had no idea about that video. A part of me feels like this might have been something if there was also a single player option.
    Yeah I'm just so glad it didn't remain an online game. A part of me bought the Sims 4 game just because it got taken off online mode. XD I don't think I would have bought a Sims Online sequel. I'm ok talking to people in forums, but it's like in game, I want to be the only person who tinkers with my Sims and houses. I do play MMORPG games, but with the Sims, I'd hate if the main series tries to go online again. It's a life simulator series to me and if I wanted to play an online game, I'd rather play something that is a bit more violent but doesn't have gore in it like Guild Wars 2 or Aura Kingdom. The top online games are killing stuff and that just doesn't fit well with the Sims series since not all Simmers are deviant players.
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    All the Apps are made over at the Salt Lake City Studios and i believe the Sims things are made under the direction of Lucy Bradshaw who goes back to the beginning of the Sims franchise with Sims 1. She was with Will Wright so it stands to reason anything made under her direction has the full heart and soul of what the sims is supposed to be all about. Also I heard Ben Belle is or was anyway also at that studio, and he was the force behind Sims 3. So very much totally different teams. Too bad it is an App - and I don't do apps. My telephone is just a telephone that can text and take pictures. That is the way it will stay. I put good money into my desktop so I play computer games so will never try Free Play seeing it is an app. I won't put apps on my pc.

@Writin_Reg I remember Lucy Bradshaw!! And Ben Belle. This explains SO much. Thank you. Yeah that is so sad it is the Salt Lake City studio making the app and not Sims 4. I don't do too many apps either. =/ Once again thank you! :)
    dsxTOuZ.jpg
  • Options
    chasmari22chasmari22 Posts: 39 Member
    To me the sims freeplay isn't really a fair comparison to the Sims4. For starters Freeplay has a four year head start on S4. Most of the content available on FP wasn't always there. Marriage, babies, Toddlers, Preteens, Teenagers, Pools, and Ghosts were not day one content, most of them were added to the game within a year or two after the game launched. If anything S4 may be an entirely different game in four years. It has already changed drastically from how the game was on release date.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2015
    FireMonkey Studios is a mobile app development division of EA. While not a part of Maxis, they develop mobile games for The Sims and SimCity franchises.
    The Sims and SimCity games developed at FireMonkey Studios Edit

The Sims 3 (mobile)
    The Sims 3 (smartphone)
    The Sims 3: World Adventures (iPhone)
    The Sims 3: Ambitions (iPhone)
    SimCity
    SimCity Deluxe
    The Sims Medieval (mobile)
    The Sims Medieval (smartphone)
    The Sims 3 Supernatural (smartphone)
    The Sims FreePlay

EA also Opened up the Salt Lake City Studios to continue their Apps division as well once they closed the Sims 3 store - So now EA has an App studio also here in the states.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Twilight32Twilight32 Posts: 165 Member
    When i played sims freeplay 3 yrs ago i was like, nyeah.. Now, im like WOOOOOOWW!! I just started to play the game again this month, and saw these hobbies, pets, witches, mall is the one i really love, it pairs well with GTW retail system. I always wish while i was playing sims freeplay that sims 4 would be like this. I hope, sometime in the future..
    tumblr_mwa83vkbtE1rs4459o1_400.gif
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    I had to quit Freeplay as I got addicted and I was loosing a dangerous amount of money...I'm scared to touch it again, it should come with a warning.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    As I said on another site, I think too much of the development time is given over to concept art and writing the engine. The game scripting teams and meshers and animators get brought in with about a year to spare, if that, so on top of not having time to put much in in the first place, by the time they find out the engine isn't going to easily support something they would like to write, it's pretty much too late to do anything about it.