Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Owe The Sims 2 An Apology...

AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
...for not listening to people when they said it was the best sims game ever, because it really is. I hadn't played 2 since UC came out, but I only played for an hour but it kept on crashing. So, all the recent talk of how it's got everything for everybody made me seriously want to give it another go.

So I found a solution for the crashing (that goodness it was an easy fix) and started it up...

I created a young couple, Sasha and Danny. I found out quickly that these sims have real emotions, and that I don't need some icon telling me "your sim is angry", because I saw that in the way they acted. These emotions make 4s look like a joke. Danny got fired, and when he got home he was pretty angry and I had to get dashes to cheer him up. I also loved how when my sim was starving she looked at me and made an angry face, haha.

I also adopted a kitten and just watched it for 20 minutes. I also sat back and let my sims do their thing and they took care of themselves just fine. And I love how personality points actually shape the sim and how they act towards other sims.

Sasha was pregnant, and WOAH was it hard to take care of her needs along with Danny's. Her comfort level was always low, and she would not stop throwing up, lol. And she kept on having to pee. She had a baby boy, and I named him Hank, these babies are adorable. Can't wait to enjoy my favorite life stage next: toddlers!

I played for 3 hours straight and never once did I get bored. Looks like I'm saying goodbye to 4 for a while, because I never realized how much it was lacking compared to a game that was made in 2004. So, hello to a long summer of playing an amazing game, the sims 2... :)

Comments

• Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    *cough*
    Skyrim
    *cough*
  • Options
    xBob18 wrote: »
    YOU'VE SEEN THE LIGHT
    I've been enlightened!
  • Options
    TheKryptoKnightTheKryptoKnight Posts: 122 Member
    edited May 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    And then there's Sims 3, also the best Sims game ever (for others). I'm really beginning to fear for Sims 4 if players like yourself (defending it all the time) are starting to abandon it.
    Haha. Welcome to how I felt about The Sims 3 the entire time it was the main game. "I'd rather be playing The Sims 2."
    I agree that TS2 is probably without question the best game in the series right now.
    But I do think that when it's all said and done, TS4 is going to take the title. It has a lot more in common with TS2 than TS3... with the advantage of better technology, if they don't pull punches with free patches/GPs/EPs. TS4 has a HUGE advantage in being a much prettier game. They just have to deliver on expansions/additions. GtW and OR are a good start... but only a start. :)
    Sims 2 feels like Sims 3 with limitations to me. Sims 4 is the odd one out. There's nothing Sims 2 about it.

Uhh... one of the complaints I hear ALL THE TIME about TS4 is that it went "backwards from TS3 and is just TS2.5."
    But what I want is TS2.5!
    TS4 feels like TS2 with limitations to me (Just because there's not NEARLY as much content yet.). TS3 is the odd one out that I had to fight with the entire time just to be able to play it like TS2. TS3 was DETERMINED to get me to play with a whole world at once, no matter how much I didn't want to.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 is way better than the Sims 2. :#
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Sims 4 is nothing like Sims 2... that thread shows it.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    xBob18 wrote: »
    Sims 4 is nothing like Sims 2... that thread shows it.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then. Sims 4 is WAAAAY more like Sims 2 than Sims 3 ever was.
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Sims 2 is a great game but it's little outdated...to me atleast :neutral:
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Only three hours? :p Dang real life getting in the way...
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    The Sims 4 is better in counting terms:

2<4
    4 > 2

It has that honour.

• Options
    Only three hours? :p Dang real life getting in the way...
    I knew someone would say that... :p But I was forced to go somewhere. Trust me I'd rather have still been playing.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    And then there's Sims 3, also the best Sims game ever (for others). I'm really beginning to fear for Sims 4 if players like yourself (defending it all the time) are starting to abandon it.
    Haha. Welcome to how I felt about The Sims 3 the entire time it was the main game. "I'd rather be playing The Sims 2."
    I agree that TS2 is probably without question the best game in the series right now.
    But I do think that when it's all said and done, TS4 is going to take the title. It has a lot more in common with TS2 than TS3... with the advantage of better technology, if they don't pull punches with free patches/GPs/EPs. TS4 has a HUGE advantage in being a much prettier game. They just have to deliver on expansions/additions. GtW and OR are a good start... but only a start. :)
    Sims 2 feels like Sims 3 with limitations to me. Sims 4 is the odd one out. There's nothing Sims 2 about it.

Uhh... one of the complaints I hear ALL THE TIME about TS4 is that it went "backwards from TS3 and is just TS2.5."
    TS4 feels like TS2 with limitations to me (Just because there's not NEARLY as much content yet.). TS3 is the odd one out that I had to fight with the entire time just to be able to play it like TS2.
    Well, I'm not one of those people saying that ;) No way is Sims 4 Sims 2.5. More like 1.5 (without the spark).
    You can't play Sims 3 like you did Sims 2, it's a different game. The dynamics of the sims however feel completely the same to me. I can't play Sims 2 the way I play Sims 3 which is why it feels limiting so far to me (open world, time continuing, CASt), but I'll get there I'm sure (I play both games). But there are way more similarities between 2 and 3 than between 2 and 4. The loading screens, that's about it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sims 2 is absolutely amazing, I am so glad you are getting to experience it and are enjoying it. It really is hard to look at 4 as anything new and innovative after playing TS2, it is all just so right with 2 that it is easy for me to overlook the world graphics and load screens. What it does offer more than compensates. Have fun! :)
    Your right! I think one of the only reasons I liked 4 was the cas and graphics. But in 2 those things were easily overlooked because of everything else it had to offer. :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    plopppo wrote: »
    *cough*
    Skyrim
    *cough*

I know how you feel. Skyrim chokes and gags me too!!!! I HATE RPGs. Of course if I loved them I would be there and not here. But RPGS leave them on consoles where they belong with all their linear play.

But speaking of good games - well actually great games -Sims 2 all the way. It will take one heck of a Sims game to ever top it. Too bad they don't at least try to aim that high in this day and age - ten years later. Oh well - Sims 2 still reigns BEST GAME Evah!!!!

Just to add Sims 3 is by no means shabby and had plenty of good points - and had they taken a reminder pill of what made Sims 2 the "best game ever" and used the formula in Sims 3 open world - it too could have been the greatest Sims game ever - but they instead gave us lack luster sims with little soul, heart, or personality and Rabbit holes. But it still beats the dickens out of Sims 4 in my view.

I even sometimes have a hard time deciding on which one I want to play. If I am feeling adventurous or wanting to play the supernaturals - Sims 3 is my game - for family and legacy play - Sims 2 is where it is at.

Sims 4 is Sims 1.5 no question about it. I could never go back to Sims 1 after Sims 2 and Sims 3 - and if Sims 4 ever plans to enchant me it needs a whole lot of changes to it - starting with toddlers and hopefully opening up some of the hoods at least. Honestly if I had nothing to choose but Sims 1 or Sims 4 - I'd go play Sims 1.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    It's really cool to hear not only that you're having a great time with it, but also huge respect to anyone who is willing to publicly admit that they may have misjudged something in the past <3 . Hope you continue having fun and enjoy your family! I'm building a new gaming comp this week and I am literally chomping at the bit to get TS2 back up and running so that I can have fun too! :D
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    plopppo wrote: »
    *cough*
    Skyrim
    *cough*

I know how you feel. Skyrim chokes and gags me too!!!! I HATE RPGs. Of course if I loved them I would be there and not here. But RPGS leave them on consoles where they belong with all their linear play.

But speaking of good games - well actually great games -Sims 2 all the way. It will take one heck of a Sims game to ever top it. Too bad they don't at least try to aim that high in this day and age - ten years later. Oh well - Sims 2 still reigns BEST GAME Evah!!!!

I agree with everything.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    mortia wrote: »
    It's really cool to hear not only that you're having a great time with it, but also huge respect to anyone who is willing to publicly admit that they may have misjudged something in the past <3 . Hope you continue having fun and enjoy your family! I'm building a new gaming comp this week and I am literally chomping at the bit to get TS2 back up and running so that I can have fun too! :D
    Thank you. And I hope you get your gamin PC up and running, those toddlers and teens that are shorter than adults are calling out to you! :D
  • Options

TS4 feels like TS2 with limitations to me (Just because there's not NEARLY as much content yet.). TS3 is the odd one out that I had to fight with the entire time just to be able to play it like TS2.
    Well, I'm not one of those people saying that ;) No way is Sims 4 Sims 2.5. More like 1.5 (without the spark).
    You can't play Sims 3 like you did Sims 2, it's a different game. The dynamics of the sims however feel completely the same to me. I can't play Sims 2 the way I play Sims 3 which is why it feels limiting so far to me (open world, time continuing, CASt), but I'll get there I'm sure (I play both games). But there are way more similarities between 2 and 3 than between 2 and 4. The loading screens, that's about it.

We honestly just have very different perspectives. I had no use whatsoever for any of the things you mentioned in TS3. Open world, time continuing, CASt... All unnecessary, and in the case of open world, actively a hindrance to me. :P I ADORE The Sims 2. I said upthread it's without question the best in the series to me. But I was totally disillusioned by TS3. And TS4 has me hopeful again. If it doesn't you.. I'm sorry. I don't know how to make you feel my optimism. But TS4 has brought back the excitement TS2 gave me... even if it's not as good at this point.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    mortia wrote: »
    Thank you. And I hope you get your gamin PC up and running, those toddlers and teens that are shorter than adults are calling out to you! :D

Haha you're gonna love Teens so much! And thanks! :)
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    I'm glad you got TS2 working and saw how great it is. Out of curiosity, have you fixed the square shadows on high settings? I have the game running but I always have to keep the shadows on medium because of the graphical glitch.