Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• Options
    CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @Cloudseeker just thought you wanted to know but someone has updated the Teen mod and it appears to work-I just tested it today. It's the last comment I think on the mod area where the oringal mod was on MTS
    Good to know, thank you.
    @Cloudseeker (If needed) will you be updating the challenge to compensate toddlers and the new items that come with them?
    When I eventually get back to working on this, I'll make sure to get official rules for toddlers done.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    fabtiffsimfabtiffsim Posts: 1,008 Member
    So I know I'll have to start another thread in a different spot but since my idea is inspired by this I wanted to throw this idea up here to see if anyone likes it.
    Since I'm doing a combination inspired by this challenge and the Amazon challenge - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/788114/the-amazon-challenge-updated-for-sims-4#latest
    I've been doing a lot of CC hunting and building of my own ancient historical places and I don't find a lot of other builders doing the same kind of stuff that I want to be building. I love building comps! But none of these builds are what I'm focused on at the moment, so I haven't been participating at the moment, and I thought "why don't I just start my own?" There must be other simmers wanting to work on the same thing as me, even if it's just a few of us! If I started a really casual, informal building competition with the intention of it being ancient or other time periods inspired by this challenge, would anyone like to participate in something like that?
  • Options
    LiLaLu72LiLaLu72 Posts: 1 New Member
    fabtiffsim wrote: »
    What's the furthest anyone has made it? I see a lot of prehistory generations but I don't usually see too far past that. Just curious cause I really like the idea of this challenge! Mine doesn't follow the rules but I'm going to take inspiration from the different eras!

Hello, about a year ago I started with the challenge. I have gone through all the eras and now am at the modern days. On my blog you can see the story of my Sim family: lilalu72sims4historychallenge.blogspot.de
    Please excuse my bad English, I am from Germany ;)
  • Options
    CheerfulTulipCheerfulTulip Posts: 13 New Member
    If your sim gets something not allowed for the current era, are we allowed to keep it. My prehistoric sim fished up a couple toys, and his daughter swiped some books from school.
  • Options
    SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member

@CheerfulTulip: I don't know about official rules, but I personally have been keeping them in the family inventory (or the heirs inventory) until I get to an era where I can use them. That way I don't use/make money off of something that hasn't even been "invented" yet, and also so I don't have to buy it later on.
  • Options
    @Sarahkay I'll do that too, thanks!
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    edited January 2017
    Helloooooo!
    Been awhile since I've popped in here. So.. popping in :)

Still loving this challenge. On my third gen (granted it's a generation I added in to make the challenge longer, hehehe) and have the start of the future 4th generation :D
    My current Sim is the blonde in the middle of my siggy down there. He had a tragic past, his family was a little nutso! Hahaha.

Anyway - hope everyone's challenges are going well!
  • Options
    SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    edited February 2017
    Eesh, this hasn't been updated in nearly a year. I've gotten into modding my game and wanted to give this challenge a try (again), but checked out some mods/cc for it first! I'm not a big fan of cc, but downloaded a few for the first couple eras where I think the game is really lacking in content coverage. I haven't decided yet if I'll be doing a LP of this challenge or anything, we'll see!

On the topic of toddlers and vampires, I had a few thoughts. Firstly, I found a mod that lets you build toddler stuff at the woodworking table--the training potty, high chair, toddler bed, bookcase, and cubby dresser. I'll be using this mod, so that it feels a bit more realistic for prehistoric toddler care.
    Prehistoric Era:
    • Craft the toddler bed via woodworking with this mod, but otherwise toddlers are limited to learning their skills without any toys or objects. You can feed the toddlers by grilling some fish for them and placing it on the ground where they can eat it. Bathing toddlers will be a bit tricky, you'll want to have your woodworking high enough to make a bathtub or just not clean the toddlers...

Early Civilization:
    • You can buy all the toddler items now, and potty train them.

Middle Ages:
    • Your Sims can become vampires now! This is the obvious era for this to be, but you couldn't start with vampires due to the outdoor living of the prehistoric era. How will vampires work for progression? Just move on to the next era as usual if your vampires are having babies, or when you've finished the era to your liking. This way, you can have a vampire who actually lives through all the eras. Playing as a vampire will make the challenge significantly easier though, because you won't be working on a clock to complete the goals anymore.

And just as a reminder (for myself, mostly), we can temporarily add a painter to the household to paint a family portrait, with a commission of $1,000 per Sim being painted. You'll want to make your painter at least level 3 so that he/she can do paintings from reference. I uploaded a painter for each era with level 10 painting, for anyone who wants to just download those :)

Edit: Also, here's an updated empty world mod that includes all worlds, if anyone is interested.
    Post edited by Snowie on
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    fabtiffsim wrote: »
    @Spacey72659 I love your siggy. That glittery font is awesome!

Thank you! :)
  • Options
    CherrySimmer1CherrySimmer1 Posts: 2 New Member
    In the pre-historic times are you aloud beds and walls? (Sorry this is a stupid question)
  • Options
    CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    In the pre-historic times are you aloud beds and walls? (Sorry this is a plum question)
    Only if you don't have the Outdoor Retreat game pack (which is very, very recommended for this challenge). If you have Outdoor Retreat, you should instead use the tents.
    34in38k.png
  • Options
    Hey guys! Just came to update. Right now I'm in Early Civ (I have a terrible habit of constantly restarting games), and I went for an Egyptian style. More importantly, though, I'm really enjoying this challenge! :) Thank you @Cloudseeker for creating this challenge (it's the only one I'm really into :P)
  • Options
    AyrellAyrell Posts: 40 Member
    Hello everyone,

I have been playing this challenge for a long time now and having a lot of fun with it.
    I just started documenting it on my Simblr: https://jessimblr.tumblr.com/
    Play-wise I am about to enter the Old West era, so I have a lot of pictures to post there still!
  • Options
    @Ayrell I gave you a follow! I don't post too much on my tumblr but I post my story on my blog. I also have a history inspired build challenge happening on these forums if anyone is interested in sharing their builds with us?
  • Options
    AyrellAyrell Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you @fabtiffsim ! I followed you back, I will check your story!
  • Options
    mammut1mammut1 Posts: 3 New Member
    I've started the prehistoric Challenge and for the first time I really enjoy playing The Sims 4 (still moarning about not having a CAW).
    But now I have a problime with my toddler, as my sims haven't got the skill yet to craft a bathtub. She's stinking like hell - and there are still 6 days left until her birthday.
    I should have waited with making babies with my active sims until they have the skills, but I haven't...
    Now I have several options:
    - play and hope she'll survive somehow (otherwise this is a good way to see why there was such a high mortality rate at that times)
    - go with one of my active sims to Granite Falls and come back when she has her birthday - 6 long days...
    - start the challenge again
    - take the bathtub from buydebug only for her - the parents are fine with using their sink - and put it into the family inventory after her birthday, my favourite option of course ;)

I'll make an extra save andcontinue playing with the bathtub from buydebug - and if you say this is a nogo - I#ll rtestart from the extra save again...

After all: thank you for this wonderful challenge!
    My story (which is not of any literal worth as I just wrote it straight forward) is here: http://www.simszoo.de/include.php?path=forumsthread&threadid=2278
  • Options
    SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member
    edited April 2017
    @mammut1 The front page has a link for gain hygiene by swimming mod. I don't think using the bath tub for toddlers would be a problem but only for the toddler.
    I viewed it this way: prehistorics usually bathed in lakes and rivers (when they did at all) so the mods would be accurate. Since toddlers can't swim, this would be the equivalent. :)
  • Options
    mammut1mammut1 Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you, Sarahkay!
    I think I have solved the problem without bath tub!
    I sent my man to Granite Falls, and when we came back, both, mum and daughter were fine - everything was "green" - don't know how they managed it :p So, if the little one gets dirty again, that time I'll join the mother to Granite Falls for one day!
  • Options
    mammut1 wrote: »
    Thank you, Sarahkay!
    I think I have solved the problem without bath tub!
    I sent my man to Granite Falls, and when we came back, both, mum and daughter were fine - everything was "green" - don't know how they managed it :p So, if the little one gets dirty again, that time I'll join the mother to Granite Falls for one day!

If I had to guess, you could probably travel just about anywhere with the dad and this would work--it's just how the game deals with Sims while they're not being actively controlled by you. They'll nearly instantly solve every need when you leave them behind, other than sleep. Once I got to the anglerfish grind my Sims took shifts fishing in the forgotten grotto, I would just send one home when they needed something and teleport them right back. A little broken, sure, but that anglerfish is a pain to find.

In my experience, grinding woodworking is 10/10 the best way to get the goals in the first era. Especially if you have get together, just set the club vibe to focused and watch as your genius Sim shoots through the levels! My female Sim was building bathtubs before her baby was even born.

Another side note: mods really do help the game for me. Challenges are great, but the game is still missing some things. I have several mods that make the game more difficult, and never have issues with the game (that weren't caused by the game by itself). If you get a couple eras into this challenge and get bored again, try out some mods! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Hi guys! The past few days I've been working on updating this challenge, and have tried to contact Cloudseeker everywhere I can but he hasn't replied back to me. So, I'm posting here with my unofficial History Challenge update. I created it by sifting through the forum pages since the last update, and did my best to address every suggestion you guys have had over the year. Cloudseeker mentioned several times that he was planning to split the Prehistoric era into two parts--so I did that as well! I am by no means the new upkeeper of the challenge, and will delete this post immediately if Cloudseeker asks me to. You also have no obligation to play the challenge with these modified rules, they're just what I've changed for my own playthrough and I wanted to share them with all of you! That being said, I'll be updating my Google Doc with suggestions you guys have until Cloudseeker updates the challenge or asks me to do otherwise.

I'll stop babbling and just give you guys the link! Please let me know if you have any new suggestions on my update, as it is still largely untested. You can just post here in this thread, though it would help if you tagged me to get my attention ;)

LINK HERE

Edit: I've made a complete scoresheet for the challenge, with separate sheets for each era. Goals that require math have equations built in for you, and it's (mostly) printer-friendly. View and download it here.

And a bit of a preview of the changes made in this update:ICkZAJD.png
    Post edited by Snowie on
  • Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Snowie, there is an issue with both the notebook and the typewriter that I believe make them not very useful for the challenge at this moment, as I recently discovered: There seems to be no way to resume the writing of a book that you have previously started. Which kind of plums as most of my sims do not seem to have to stamina to write a whole book from start to finish without stopping for whatever reason, unless need decay is disabled. Which is a major cheat. So far for writing books without a computer....
  • Options
    Snowie, there is an issue with both the notebook and the typewriter that I believe make them not very useful for the challenge at this moment, as I recently discovered: There seems to be no way to resume the writing of a book that you have previously started. Which kind of plums as most of my sims do not seem to have to stamina to write a whole book from start to finish without stopping for whatever reason, unless need decay is disabled. Which is a major cheat. So far for writing books without a computer....

These issues were reported a while back for the notebook mod, I didn't know it was the same for the typewriter too. Anyway, you can work around this by having a computer somewhere on the lot (in a dark basement or something works), where your work will be "saved". You should then be able to resume writing, if nothing else by selecting the option from the computer which will make your Sims resume it with the notebook.
  • Options
    Snowie wrote: »

These issues were reported a while back for the notebook mod, I didn't know it was the same for the typewriter too. Anyway, you can work around this by having a computer somewhere on the lot (in a dark basement or something works), where your work will be "saved". You should then be able to resume writing, if nothing else by selecting the option from the computer which will make your Sims resume it with the notebook.

I use this:
    http://simsnowtato.tumblr.com/post/155288132342/happy-new-year-im-back-this-was-supposed-to-be
    AXfzKT1.png

It's not the same as the notebook but it gives the look of something ancient if you want it! And it resumes writing the same book for me! Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    New changes for Parenthood are now out. Link for the updated rules are here. On a side note, I have also added all of the rules, etc, to this document, so you don't have to keep switching from the forums to the google doc for rules. :)

Change Log (5/30/17)
    Prehistoric Era Tweaks:
    • Removed fridge & counters from Prehistoric Era part 2.
    • It still feels like enough of a jump from living in tents to living in huts with beds for there to be a “second” prehistoric era.
    • Bumped the anglerfish goal to $1,200 from $1,000.
    • This is still possible to change, please let me know if you feel like the new goal is too hard/easy. I don’t want it to be something that you have to grind fishing for for weeks to get, but don’t want it to be as easy as going fishing once to check it off your list (unless you just get lucky).
    Changes for the Parenthood Pack:
    • Added the use of secret journals and family bulletin boards in Early Civilization and onward.
    • Added the selection of the Super Parent aspiration in the Middle Ages and onward.
    • Allowed volunteering in the Old West and onward.
    Other Changes:
    • Added the selection of the Vampire Family aspiration in the Middle Ages and onward.
    • The other two aspirations added by the Vampires pack can’t be selected until Modern Day, since they require you to research on a computer.
    • Clarified when the Wabbit Tablet toddler toy can be used (Modern Day).
    Post edited by Snowie on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top