Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people hate Simmers so much?

Bubbles_19Bubbles_19 Posts: 476 Member
I've seen a lot of recent discussions on the forum about people feeling too embarrased to play The Sims mainly because other people judge them for it. I just don't understand why people seem to think that playing The Sims makes you 'weak' or some kind of loser. One of my friends told me that I was 'throwing my life away' and 'living through the sims' and they make out like I should be ashamed of even mentioning the game. For some people there seems to be a stigma against people who admit they play the sims-like it's not 'real' gaming. Am I the only one who has experienced this?
mario%20gif_zpstweslqlh.gif

Simming since '09.

Comments

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I can't imagine the crap my classmates would put me through if they found out I play Sims... for them, they think it's a dollhouse game for little girls that a teenage boy should not be playing.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I didn't know people hate us :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    edited April 2015
    "A game my little sister plays"
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Some people have weak imaginations, so when they see people playing games that require imagination to enjoy, they become volatile and simple.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • ShivaShiva Posts: 111 Member
    I think boys get more schtick for it than girls, since it's not a "hurr durr monster racing trucks shoot 'em up" kind of "guy" game.

I've never had hate for it, but I've met a lot of people who don't "get" why I play it, because it's "just doing what you do normally but in a game" and "it has no end, so what's the point." Which I can sort of understand.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I remember I one time started Sims 2 when my friend was over. He made fun of the music, saying it was "too happy". Whatever... I like playing sims and I like the music aswell. So... if I don't care about what my friend thinks of me for playing Sims then I sure as hell don't care what strangers think.
    I don't mind not being a "gamer".
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Shiva wrote: »
    I think boys get more schtick for it than girls, since it's not a "hurr durr monster racing trucks shoot 'em up" kind of "guy" game.

I've never had hate for it, but I've met a lot of people who don't "get" why I play it, because it's "just doing what you do normally but in a game" and "it has no end, so what's the point." Which I can sort of understand.
    Ha! I remember my ex used to ask me quite often what level I was on. Oh silly him! :)

Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »

Ha! I remember my ex used to ask me quite often what level I was on. Oh silly him! :)
    My friend asked me the same thing a month ago lmao
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited April 2015

xBob18 wrote: »

My friend asked me the same thing a month ago lmao

The hardest level of all: parenthood

I don't think anybody here faces ridicule for liking the sims. Even if it's essentially a virtual dollhouse. I've never met anyone who would look down on someone because "Sims players aren't real gamers" or "They're just dolls and dolls are for little girls".
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimplyEnchantedSimplyEnchanted Posts: 221 Member
    I've had some religious people swear it has 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in it. That's the only judgement I've ever gotten. I myself am religious so please don't take that as I'm putting down others who are. I'm not completely ignorant though :wink:
    > @SimplyEnchanted said:
    > I've had some religious people swear it has 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in it. That's the only judgement I've ever gotten. I myself am religious so please don't take that as I'm putting down others who are. I'm not completely ignorant though

They've led a very sheltered life if they think TS is "dirty" in that way...
  • SimplyEnchantedSimplyEnchanted Posts: 221 Member
    > @SimplyEnchanted said:
    > I've had some religious people swear it has 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in it. That's the only judgement I've ever gotten. I myself am religious so please don't take that as I'm putting down others who are. I'm not completely ignorant though

They've led a very sheltered life if they think TS is "dirty" in that way...
    I wondered if they confused it with Second Life which I hear is more adult. Though, I've not read much on that to know.

• Bubbles_19Bubbles_19 Posts: 476 Member
    > @Shiva said:
    > I think boys get more schtick for it than girls, since it's not a "hurr durr monster racing trucks shoot 'em up" kind of "guy" game.
    >
    > I've never had hate for it, but I've met a lot of people who don't "get" why I play it, because it's "just doing what you do normally but in a game" and "it has no end, so what's the point." Which I can sort of understand.

I agree it must be harder for boys. After reading your replies I don't really care what anyone thinks of me being a simmer anymore or a 'real' gamer. They're probably just jealous because they don't have as much fun as we do ;) #simmershavethemostfun
    mario%20gif_zpstweslqlh.gif

Simming since '09.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Everyone at my school knows I play the Sims and they don't care. B)
    > @Bubbles_19 said:
    >
    > I agree it must be harder for boys. After reading your replies I don't really care what anyone thinks of me being a simmer anymore or a 'real' gamer. They're probably just jealous because they don't have as much fun as we do ;) #simmershavethemostfun

The poor dears just lack the imagination Simmers do.
  • SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    they don't REPREZENT they games as hard as we do so they know they is losing territory
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Juliee101Juliee101 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2015
    because they dont want to admit they want to create a fun story, and escape the real world.
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2015
    Sadly, there are many people out there who think if you aren't shooting something, then you must be playing a game for little girls. A lot of people also think it's exactly like real life, like you spend twenty minutes of real time staring at someone eating cereal. Also, they can't accept that there is a game where you aren't forced into a rigid storyline that renders the game useless after two weeks.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2015
    No one really cares what you (or I) play. Heck, EA doesn't even seem to care, judging by how they go about making things. So relax, and don't let it bother you.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    I've never had any hate for it, mainly cos my hobbies and interests are so different and not what people think I'd like (apparently I "don't look like someone who would be a fan of *insert hobby/interest here*).
    I've had people ask me what it's about cos they've either never played it or heard of it. When I tell them some have been intrigued and others have gone "Doesn't sound like something I'd be in to but if you enjoy it carry on".

I wouldn't take any negativity to heart though. You just keep being you :)
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • xmegamanaxmegamana Posts: 81 Member
    People think it's not really a game because there's no objectives or finish to the game.
    That's where their wrong... There's self objectives that you create for yourself.
    I think the vast majority of people that play the sims are creative people!

Like if you're good at art, a musician, sporty or genuinely a creative thinker!
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member

I thought of my boyfriend the moment I read that part! And ironically, he hates the sims and refuses to play with me. :'( . But in the same token, it was actually my older brother who had introduced me to the sims when I was a little girl. So I never understood the 'manly' or 'hardcore gamer' of guys that reject the sims, it still baffles me to this day lol.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

I thought of my boyfriend the moment I read that part! And ironically, he hates the sims and refuses to play with me. :'( . But in the same token, it was actually my older brother who had introduced me to the sims when I was a little girl. So I never understood the 'manly' or 'hardcore gamer' of guys that reject the sims, it still baffles me to this day lol.

Haha, my brother is the same way. He doesn't get games like The Sims or Harvest Moon at all, he's very much an action/ horror kind of guy.

I guess it just depends on the person. Some guys are comfortable with series like TS and others are paranoid over being seen as "girly" if there aren't any guns or hot women in their games. :p
  • FrenchMiss13FrenchMiss13 Posts: 28 Member
    This reminds me of middle school when my best friend and I wouldn't dare discuss the sims in public, and then in high school I remember being really excited whenever I heard somebody mention it in passing, and finally in college it seems like everybody plays/has played the sims!
  • kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    edited April 2015
    I think a lot of people who have only heard of the game, but have never actually played it, simply do not understand it. They hear that you like to play a game that is basically about controlling the lives of virtual people, their immediate reaction is, "What? Why don't you just go out and get a real life? hurhurhur!!" And I believe that partially contributed to the perceived embarrassment to be playing the Sims - if you play the Sims, the first thing people do is joke that you don't have a life. Which is totally ridiculous of course, spending hours playing the Sims is no different to spending hours playing any other video game. A game is a game, and The Sims is no less of a game than shooting/action/fighting games.

Seriously though, since I have left high school, I've stopped caring about this type of plum. I love the Sims and I'm not ashamed to admit it :) Frankly, if you ask me, the only type of people I can see going around hating on the Sims, calling it not a "real" game or "for little girls" are pathetic high school boys who spend their life playing first person shooter games, and really? Who gives a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 what they have to say, if playing the Sims makes you happy, no one else should have the right to make you feel bad about it.