Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Does Repair Game Do?

What specifically does repair game do? I know in general it looks for damaged files and replaces them, but can you go into more detail please?

And why do I need to run it every time I play? Any suggestions for preventing file corruption so that this isn't a recurrent necessity?

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    repair game is supposed to repair the game. How it repairs it I am unsure maybe someone else can answer you but I have never gotten a corrupt save. My game is vanilla and I always use save as rather than save. Using save as gives you a new save rather than overwriting the old save. I got in this habit of doing this in the sims 3 so I just do this in the sims 4 too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I always use save as for games as I like multiple saves. This isn't the issue.

I need to run repair game every time I play, usually multiple times because of problems that keep popping up. Why would things keep popping up that "repair game" sometimes fixes? Knowing this might help me prevent the errors in the first place.
    This I cant answer it rarely happens to me because I dont play much. I have other issues with this game and the new patches. I have gotten the fridge bug and I just delete my cashe package file. I know I have gotten other bugs but can't remember which and again I delete cashe. Or you can reset game, take the sims 4 folder put it to desktop start the game the game will generate a new sims 4 folder and you can add back your saves.

Do you have CC or Mods? This could be causing you more issues if you have them. I dont have mods or cc and I also dont have GTW and people are reporting more bugs with GTW.

do you have origin in game turned off? Origin and the game have conflicts with each other at the moment. Try deactivating origin in game if you haven't http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/deactivate-origin-in-game/

I appreciate you're trying to help, but those are the standard recommendations that I'm aware of. I've had these issues since day 1. I've reinstalled twice. I've reset the game once (which didn't fix the issue I was trying to fix). I've played with Origin turned off (otherwise I get an incompatible graphics card message despite using one that is supported and supports The Sims 4). I've repaired the game umpteen times (which did address a couple of errors). I've deleted cache files. I have no CC. I have no mods. I have only the base game. I have a computer well above both minimum and recommended specs. I've had dozens of bugs appear hundreds of times in a game I haven't even played that much in part because it is so glitched.

Repair game doesn't work for many bugs, but it does for some. Why? What's it doing? What could be causing my game to be so corrupt that I can't go 30 min. without glitching? There must be something because my game experience seems far worse than average.
    I find resetting the file works better than repair. I never use repair myself.

what video card do you have?

Have you posted your DxDiag?

windows key + R Key , in the run box type DxDiag, hit ok let it load save a copy to desktop and copy and paste the report here. You would need to post the report in sections in several posts thanks.
    edited April 2015
    As posted in the link provided in the last post (which had been kicked out of this Tech section earlier, indicating to me that this was not a place that I could come for help with big issues) my specs:

r6y3og.jpg

Incomplete list of issues: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/790731/buggy-mess/p1
    Im wondering if it is your card. Since the new patches a lot of us nvida users are having issues of sorts. I have a 770M I am on driver 347.88 which is the driver issued after the one you have. I have not updated to the newest after 347.88 because it is for GTA and Nvida gave warning to those of us on laptop to check with computer manufacturer before updating the GTA V driver.

You have added your game to nvida control panel and put vsync on?

these are some of the issues Nvida users are having This is a new thread and I have included my thread in this thread

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/829082/nvidia-graphics-cards-heating-up-more-than-usual-for-some#latest

Have you reported your issues directly to EA? Us Nvidia users are advising people to do s. EA needs to fix these issues.
    NVidia has been prompting me since yesterday to update to driver 350.12, I haven't done it because I don't play GTA. Generally, though, my drivers are up-to-date. I've been having these issues with the game since September, so I don't think it's a driver version issue.

It could be the card though, but it is listed as supported, so yeah, they should be addressing the issues if it is.

My game was already in the list from the beginning. I tried switching Vsync to on as recommended months ago, and noticed no change. Since the last installation a few weeks ago, I've left it on use 3D application settings.

I have reported bugs here and some in Crinrict's bug forum at EA HQ. I have not tried going through EA Help because EA Help has never had a clue about anything, and has several times just not responded for weeks or months and simply closed the ticket later without response.
    I dont think its the driver. Its something in the game or patches conflicting with Nvidia . The game was fine for me until the patches this past month. We have other Nvida users getting notices their cards are not accepted when they should be. There is someone in the sims 3 tech thread who keeps having issues with patches and bugs like you do. I dont know if they are the same bugs but still getting a lot of bugs. Do you live in the USA? you can request a call back rather than using chat and report to someone on the phone. They will ask you for a full DxDiag and msinfo file. There should be no reason your laptop cant play this game properly and there is no reason for what Im dealing with too.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Repair game does exactly what it says :smiley:

It actually scans through the game's files to make sure they are all installed in the correct place, and I assume replaces files that may be damaged or not installed correctly. I've repaired a couple times, but after this last patch the repair took forever. So I assume Origin was sloppy when it updated my game.
  • uidabbey1uidabbey1 Posts: 273 Member
    I hope this is ok to ask, Where is "Repair Game" ? Is this something you downloaded or in the original game? I have glitches like crazy too, although my game is playable but certain graphic happenings skip and reset my sims to standing looking around like "what happened?" It's kinda funny and kinda not because I'm not getting to see the fun stuff. :(
    edited April 2015
    @uidabbey1, right click on your game in Origin. You should see an option to repair game. It's much faster than reinstalling and can fix a few errors.
    B5AGWsECYAAeli0.png
  • uidabbey1uidabbey1 Posts: 273 Member
    Thank you greenXen! Appreciate this! :D Gonna give it a try.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited April 2015
    Just remember to remove Mods folder from S4 files before you Repair...it could cause problems, so just to be on the safe side, I do this to avoid any more problems. B)

Edit to say, if you have mods & cc that is. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Tinaaaa44Tinaaaa44 Posts: 2 New Member
    I had a bug where after practising singing the sound of their voice never stopped but they were no longer doing the action. This got really annoying (and sounded quite creepy) but after repairing the game, the issue went away :) I was told when looking up the issue that repairing can fix some issues but it's not guaranteed and it doesn't corrupt/break/delete any of your save games, yay! :smiley:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    Tinaaaa44 wrote: »
    I had a bug where after practising singing the sound of their voice never stopped but they were no longer doing the action. This got really annoying (and sounded quite creepy) but after repairing the game, the issue went away :) I was told when looking up the issue that repairing can fix some issues but it's not guaranteed and it doesn't corrupt/break/delete any of your save games, yay! :smiley:

Hello :) Welcome to the forums!
    This link thread on the AHQ EA,site refers to,your issue
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-CL-Singing-Music-Overlay-and-never-stops/m-p/5666858#M29218
  • Hipplofthepink784Hipplofthepink784 Posts: 3 New Member
    If I repair my game will it delete my saved world? Like my Sims and my hard work or will it just fix the bugs. I'm still confused XD
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    If I repair my game will it delete my saved world? Like my Sims and my hard work or will it just fix the bugs. I'm still confused XD

Hello @Hipplofthepink784
    Repairing the game doesn’t affect your save game. It just checks the sims 4 game files against an online database and corrects any errors,