Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[GTW] DNA samples

Just a little observation. With GTW, the sims in Science career can take DNA samples from other sims. Now, this is a pretty tough task, as you must be at least Best Friends to take it and have relationships bar filled. But all it (DNA sample) does is giving information about sims' character! Well, during building relationships that high you are almost sure to already know everything about sim's character, so DNA sample has no value at all. I suggest it should have some other functionality. The most obvious and logical one would be to clone the sim you took DNA sample from without said sim being present - simply straight from the sample.

Just a small idea.

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2015
    I've been able to get DNA samples from Sims who aren't even friends - they might say no one time but yes another. You don't need to have that high a relationship. Also, there are times when you get other kinds of info than just traits.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Oh - I just thought of something else, this time while my Sim was taking a sample from an acquaintance: get your charisma level up. She's at level 6, and it might be part of what's making it easy to get samples.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    Ok, maybe it's charisma, still not worth it. What is this "other" info? Never got ANYTHING other from level 1 to 10 in Science career.
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    Ok, maybe it's charisma, still not worth it. What is this "other" info? Never got ANYTHING other from level 1 to 10 in Science career.

Try getting DNA from townies the game has created since you started the career. Some aren't what they seem.
    There is Satellite Dish for this, simple and effective. So still nothing valuable.
    There is Satellite Dish for this, simple and effective. So still nothing valuable.

The Satellite Dish won't tell you who is an alien and who isn't. DNA sampling and testing can.
    What? You should really play more before claiming such a nonsense and posting at all.
    edited April 2015
    What? You should really play more before claiming such a nonsense and posting at all.

My science-careers Sim has found two aliens this way so far - a career co-worker and another game-created townie. You should play more before claiming what another player says is nonsense and all.

(edited because I remembered one of the two wasn't a co-worker)
    edited April 2015
    Obviously you can't even read properly, I see. I didn't say DNA sampling and testing can't find aliens, I said your claim that Satellite Dish won't tell it is utter 🐸🐸🐸🐸 *facepalm*
    Two? lol Satellite Dish shows all of them that are around in seconds.
    Know your 🐸🐸🐸🐸 before advising others to play "more".
    edited April 2015
    Obviously you can't even read properly, I see. I didn't say DNA sampling and testing can't find aliens, I said your claim that Satellite Dish won't tell it is utter 🐸🐸🐸🐸 *facepalm*
    Two? lol Satellite Dish shows all of them that are around in seconds.
    Know your 🐸🐸🐸🐸 before advising others to play "more".

I assumed you were responding to the last thing I said, as your grammar would work out. You did not clarify otherwise. (The Satellite Dish, by the way, hasn't done that in my game yet, though I've used it nearly every Sim day for the last four Sim weeks, on lots that turned out later to have undetected aliens on them. I'll be interested to see under what circumstances it does.)

My point about DNA testing remains: it will detect aliens.

FWIW, you'll get more help from people on this forum if you don't make a habit of being rude.
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Just a little observation. With GTW, the sims in Science career can take DNA samples from other sims. Now, this is a pretty tough task, as you must be at least Best Friends to take it and have relationships bar filled. But all it (DNA sample) does is giving information about sims' character! Well, during building relationships that high you are almost sure to already know everything about sim's character, so DNA sample has no value at all. I suggest it should have some other functionality. The most obvious and logical one would be to clone the sim you took DNA sample from without said sim being present - simply straight from the sample.

Just a small idea.

Yeah, you don't have to be best friends. My main is in the science career, he has the aspiration reward that makes a sim a friend after using the friendly introduction. New sim, friendly introduction, flatter, hug, ask for DNA sample, more often than not, I got a sample.
    edited April 2015
    "I assumed you were responding to the last thing I said, as your grammar would work out. You did not clarify otherwise. (The Satellite Dish, by the way, hasn't done that in my game yet, though I've used it nearly every Sim day for the last four Sim weeks, on lots that turned out later to have undetected aliens on them. I'll be interested to see under what circumstances it does.)

My point about DNA testing remains: it will detect aliens.

FWIW, you'll get more help from people on this forum if you don't make a habit of being rude."

I don't need any help, I just suggested an idea, and here you come 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and making excuses both for developers and your own mistakes. But I'll help you - you must UPGRADE the Satellite Dish and then it will have an SEPARATE option - Detect Aliens. Detects every single alien around.
    Another failed assumption from you I just checked - charisma has nothing to do with taking DNA sample. I have level 10 and still can't take it even with 50% relationships and good moods on both sides. If it really works for you, which I now doubt, it must be because of some personality trait, not because of charisma skill.
    Your point has no value just as DNA sample. The fact is it is too hard to get, it provides no valuable info as everything is known beforehand or there is much easier way to get that info.
    Post edited by Faust-RSI on
    edited April 2015
    I suggested that Charisma might be a factor (I used the word "might" in the post even); I didn't say it was one. There was no assumption there.

I have found DNA sampling easy to do and an easy way to find out if a Sim is an alien. Obviously, your experience differs. That does not give you the right to say that I am lying about what I am telling you happens in my game. It is an actual fact that in my game, my Sims have obtained DNA samples from mere acquaintances. It is an actual fact that in my game some DNA samples have revealed that the Sim sampled is an alien.

Stop accusing me of lying etc.

(Thank you for the upgrade info, by the way, as rudely stated as it is - I haven't unlocked the ability to upgrade the Satellite Dish yet.)
  • ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    It might be fun if we could use Sim's DNA to determine paternity...if the game didn't automatically reveal a baby sim's paternity already.
    Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
    "Yeah, you don't have to be best friends. My main is in the science career, he has the aspiration reward that makes a sim a friend after using the friendly introduction. New sim, friendly introduction, flatter, hug, ask for DNA sample, more often than not, I got a sample."

I also thought about this reward. Seems plausible, and the only way to get DNA sample without actually being best friends. My sims never had this reward, so can't check it.
  • HamsysincyHamsysincy Posts: 142 Member
    Whoa OP need not be pumped up and spilling out offensive remarks for a mistake. After all, simmers here give feedback based on their experiences and each of us have our own unique way of playing sims. Even if they said something wrong, just politely correct them.
  • DuskviperDuskviper Posts: 47 Member

The Satellite Dish tells you the player they are an Alien, not your character. Your sim will still act as though the don't know they are. The DNA sample will confirm it for your sim therefore giving them the knowledge that a sim is an alien or not. The dish just lets you know who to get the sample from or who to talk to enough for them to reveal they are an alien. So she was correct.
  • Samoht SirromSamoht Sirrom Posts: 1 New Member
    Well all of you guys seem to be lucky... On my game (Please note this is Probably NOT the case with your game, so no need to say that I'm mistaken) but for me getting DNA does Nothing at all... If I go to the Cloning Machine the only options I get to clone are from people either in my house or on the street nearby. In fact none of my "DNA" samples show up anywhere at all (which Is annoying since I managed to get not only the Grim Reaper, not sure how, and an alien's DNA), at least no where that I can find. Though to be fair I have found other things to clone such as the "Young Again" potion that normally uses up 1,500 (I forget the name of the points, sorry)points and the Need Fixer that you learn to make in the science lab meaning with these two potions you will always have your needs met and never grow old. So long as you remember to keep 1 of each in your house inventory so you can duplicate them as wanted/needed.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited April 2016
    Duskviper wrote: »

The Satellite Dish tells you the player they are an Alien, not your character. Your sim will still act as though the don't know they are.

Have a question here. :) My sim has an interactions,"Discuss about brain power" with his coworker in science place. Does it mean that my sim still doesn't recognise his coworker is an alien? My sim is trying to get his DNA sample now. His coworker still refuses to allow. My sim's charisma level is 5 and he and his coworker are friend.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Looks like my sim discovered his coworker is an alien. I found his moodlet,"Xenophilia" (From Discovering Aliens). My sim still didn't get any DNA from the alien though. Now I remember my sim got 'being probed' when he was scanning my sim. I think my sim discovered his coworker was an alien after that. interesting.:)
    DNA samples are still useless to the date, still no cloning available :(
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited April 2018
    Another idea, the Alien scientists could use DNA samples as pregnancy trigger or turning human sims into half-alien.
    At least SOMETHING would be enough :/
    I've never played TS3, but watching some video on Youtube I've noticed that something similar was already made in TS3! I'm not sure if it only worked with Plantsims, but taking a DNA sample from them and using special machine would result in having a baby-clone of that sim!
    In TS4 it would be greate to have something similar. The difference between using clonning machine on an adult sim and on a DNA sample would be that adult sim results in the adult clone, and using a DNA sample would result in baby-clone.
    Wouldn't that be awesome??
  • mchkicamchkica Posts: 8 New Member
    In previous Sims games it was possible to make clones, zombies from dead sims and perform plastic surgeries (TS2)...and all the fun stuff.
    I am really surprised that there's none of it in TS4.

It's ok that DNA sample discovers traits and aliens, but c'mon, its a D N A SAMPLE, it has to have more to it.

I love the idea of being able to determine parents (and their traits), clone sims, use some of the attributes to alter details on existing sims (like add a trait or eye colour), and do all sorts of things you can't the other ways.

I wonder if this is even the right place to write suggestions like this...