Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game crashing/freezing since March patch/GTW installed?

If you are experiencing any of the following issues since updating to the March patch - Version 1.5.139.1210 - or since installing Get To Work, please post here:

- Longer loading times at startup, household selection and travelling
- Sim freezes for a few seconds before returning to normal
- More frequent game freezing resulting in having to Force Quit the application
- More frequent vmmap error crashes

Please state what your issues are, whether they started after installing the patch or GTW, and basic info on your Mac - OS, Processor, RAM and graphics info.

Hopefully EA will be aware of this and work on a patch but they will need user info to help with troubleshooting.

Thanks!
apple-signature.png

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited April 2015
    - Longer loading times at startup, household selection and travelling -

- Sim freezes for a few seconds before returning to normal -
    • This is possibly caused by a large amount of items in the Sim's Inventory. Delete some items, specifically any which are +99.

- More frequent game freezing resulting in having to Force Quit the application -
    • Make sure nothing else is running on your Mac, including Time machine, Dropbox, antivirus etc. to minimise RAM usage
    • Turn off Origin in game.

- More frequent vmmap error crashes -
    • Possibly memory related. You can try purging RAM (just like we had to in The Sims 3!). TS4 is much better at memory usage though.
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    edited April 2015
    Reserved
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    Sim freezes for a few seconds before returning to normal
    Suffering from that one definitely. Sims just standing around.
    I have tried deleting the caches, that seemed to solve it for a few hours of gameplay.
    Lunder89 wrote: »
    Sim freezes for a few seconds before returning to normal
    Suffering from that one definitely. Sims just standing around.
    I have tried deleting the caches, that seemed to solve it for a few hours of gameplay.

apple-signature.png
    A lot of users are reporting that their Sims are freezing during multiple conversations. Can anyone expand on this? What are your Sims doing when this happens? What is their relationship status with the people in the conversation?
    apple-signature.png
  • Tara0405Tara0405 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm having issues with both freezing sims and the entire game freezing/crashing. This has only been happening since installing GTW. Reparing game and deleting cache files works for a few hours but nothing permanent.
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2015
    my game has been freezing; and also crashing. Yesterday it crashed while traveling home from work. I also had another issue, where nothing, clicked on brought up a menu. I had to exit without saving.

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Edited to add Graphics Card info
    @Tara0405 what graphics does your Mac have?

@Southaltan thanks :)
    apple-signature.png
  • DennisAlexis84DennisAlexis84 Posts: 79 Member
    I'm experiencing all of those bugs you listed since the last update. Also, there is an annoying bug where the time keeps on passing even though I can't do anything. I haven't installed any mods or GTW, just the base game. It worked great until the last update. I hope EA will fix this soon.

My specs:

Mac model: iMac (21,5", mid 2011
    Processor: 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Operating System: OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Official EA DLC/EPs installed: None. Only the base game.

Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? Sophos Antivirus for Mac.

Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? Nope.

Do you have any CC/mods installed? If so, what are they? None.
    My current family is unplayable at the moment. Two elders pass away, but the game freezes when the grim reaper arrives. I can't save so I've restarted the game four times, and every time the same thing happens. Come on EA, this is getting silly. We need a patch, yesterday.

Also, there is an annoying bug where the time keeps on passing even though I can't do anything.

Do you mean you can't make your Sim do anything, they just stand motionless? Or you can move your mouse but nothing happens when you click on anything?

Can you lower your graphics settings and see if it makes a difference? I don't think it will but worth a try :) This is affecting Windows and Mac users.
    apple-signature.png
  • olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member
    I have the bug when my sim will just stand in a place for excessive amounts of time doing nothing.
    we way too young to get old <3
    That doesn't work. :/ I've tried everything.
    I tried moving the elders out, but then the exact same thing happened when one sim proposed to another.
    If you cancel the queued up actions does that make a difference?
    apple-signature.png
    If you cancel the queued up actions does that make a difference?

Sadly, no. I can't click on anything. And when the sims died, they didn't have anything in the queu. :(
  • FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    My game is behaving a bit better in that I don't have so many freezes since the most recent patch. The only one I am still experiencing is when alien children are doing their homework. Maybe it is all children but I only have alien kids in my current house. I wait till the homework is finished - the bar still moves - and then I cancel it out. Suddenly everyone springs to life again.

The other ongoing problem I have which is more a crash than a freeze is when I access the menu to customise something in the game. The spinning beachball pops up and I have no choice but to force quit. It is not all the time but often enough to make me nervous about changing anything. It can happen if I have been playing for a while but it can also happen when I first open up the game.

I do use mods and some custom content but the mods have been checked to be up to date.

IMac 27 Inch late 2012
    3.4 GHz Intel core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

My graphics settings are the ones the game chose when I reinstalled it recently.
    Figwit wrote: »
    My game is behaving a bit better in that I don't have so many freezes since the most recent patch. The only one I am still experiencing is when alien children are doing their homework. Maybe it is all children but I only have alien kids in my current house. I wait till the homework is finished - the bar still moves - and then I cancel it out. Suddenly everyone springs to life again.

The other ongoing problem I have which is more a crash than a freeze is when I access the menu to customise something in the game. The spinning beachball pops up and I have no choice but to force quit. It is not all the time but often enough to make me nervous about changing anything. It can happen if I have been playing for a while but it can also happen when I first open up the game.

I do use mods and some custom content but the mods have been checked to be up to date.

IMac 27 Inch late 2012
    3.4 GHz Intel core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

My graphics settings are the ones the game chose when I reinstalled it recently.

That's good about the freezing. Could the beach ball spinning be memory related? Have you checked the usage in Activity Monitor?
    apple-signature.png
  • ohlooksquirrelohlooksquirrel Posts: 4 New Member
    My game used to run perfectly, with a 15-30 second waiting time. After installing GTW and updating the newest patch (March), I'm waiting *TWO* minutes for anything! (I know it's that long, because my screensaver starts).

Now, I dread sending my sims anywhere.

One's a doctor, and the other is a detective, and I refuse to go to work with them. Instead, I just go on my phone until they get home.

It also messes up getting dressed, because closing the CAS window also takes the same amount of time.

I left my stats at the bottom, in case anyone could help diagnose me... But, it's not like my game's always been like this...

Here are my stats:
    Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Try updating to the April patch. That did correct some of the freezing issue.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • ohlooksquirrelohlooksquirrel Posts: 4 New Member
    I already have :'( Origin updates for me automatically.
    I have also tried cleaning my cache to no avail.
  • e01000101e01000101 Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2015
    I am experiencing extended freezes. I made a post about it here, describing what happens at length: forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/830078/gameplay-freezes-time-continues-this-is-bad?new=1
    But to condense, it started happening every now-and-then when a sim was about to level up on a skill. Now it happens every 3-5 minutes, where the audio, time and animations continue (ie if a sim is reading a book, and I try to cancel that action, the animation continues) but there is no actual game progression.
    If I try to pause for example, the UI *looks* like it's paused but everything continues as it was previous to me pressing pause. Same thing with changing speed. When trying to select a different sim the UI is completely unresponsive. Time (& daylight) continues to progress, sometimes up to half a day and beyond - until finally the game appears to catch up to itself and goes back to what I had told it to do, ie, if half a day passed in this freeze state, time goes back to what it was at the moment of freeze.
    It got so bad the other day that I decided to exit/save the game, but the save screen just hung there for over 30 mins (I went and had a shower, got dressed, put my makeup on in the meantime lol) and when I came back it was still there, so I had to force shut-down my mac.

I have tried emptying caches, repairing the game, checking for updates, disabling Origin in-game, cleaning up space on my computer and restarting, and I'm officially at a loss as to what to do now.

My specs are:
    MBP 15', Late 2008 (an antique, I know)
    Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

I only have Outdoor Retreat installed and no CC or mods.

Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? Maintenance and Onyx
    Post edited by e01000101 on
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    On the PC side of things, I'm starting to see a lot of people (with excellent computer specs) who are crashing since the April patch, and it seems to be tied to having Sims with large personal inventories, particularly stacks of +99 of the same thing. Clearing out/paring down the personal inventories seem to be making a difference. Thought I'd mention in case it would help here.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Thanks for the update! :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    MsPhy wrote: »
    On the PC side of things, I'm starting to see a lot of people (with excellent computer specs) who are crashing since the April patch, and it seems to be tied to having Sims with large personal inventories, particularly stacks of +99 of the same thing. Clearing out/paring down the personal inventories seem to be making a difference. Thought I'd mention in case it would help here.

Thank you! Just updated the bug thread :)
    apple-signature.png