Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gurus: Career Oversights

61Dustin61Dustin Posts: 74 Member
Your Sims will now meet and build relationships with their co-workers and schoolmates.
Actions that you can take while your Sim is at work/school have been updated to allow you to gain relationship with or meet more co-workers/schoolmates.

Non-played Sims (sometimes referred to as townies) now have jobs!
The “Ask about Career” interaction has been updated to provide career information for Sims that you meet.
The career information discovered will be found in the Relationship panel. Hover over the Sim portrait to see their career, schedule, and, if they work at a venue (like the bartender), where they work.

I love this idea and I do consider it a nice step forward towards getting story progression back, but it's not perfect. In fact, it's irritating to a degree and here's why:
1. Promotions now depend on you relationship with coworkers. It makes sense in certain careers that have strong social roots, but in school?! WTH is that about? You now need to do homework, work well in class, and be popular to earn a higher grade.
2. There is no "Co-worker" tab in the Relationship Menu. I have to thumb through each sim and read their details, which leads me to the fact that there is no notification when I do meet a new co-worker at work.
3. When I do meet a co-worker (at work) I don't know what their career is. Let that sink in for a second... yeah. The relationship detail says co-worker, but at the same time it says I don't know what their career is unless if I manually find the said sim and then ask them what their career is. Seems to me that I should naturally know what my co-workers career are.
4. Part-time jobs should be available to ages older than teens as well. I realize this isn't part of the patch, but it's senseless that only teens can get part-time jobs. Also, there are great mods that allow for this, but I firmly believe it should be a part of the base game.
GURUS
Please relay this to the devs and fix these oversights ASAP. They are lazy oversights that jump out at me every time I play the game that I love. There is no excuse for the lack of attention to detail here and it is plan negligence.
Post edited by 61Dustin on

Comments

• Options
    Hope, I'm not the only one that feels this way...
  • Options
    Bump. Hoping to get to more people to see the post.
  • Options
    SlyStarDustSlyStarDust Posts: 341 Member
    I agree with everything you said!

1. Also, maybe add an unemployed "job" or homemaker or something. I don't want ALL of my sims to have jobs. I would like to have some be unemployed and not dragged into story progression and made to have a job.

2. I also do not think someone with 0 painting skill should suddenly get a high level painting career. Perhaps start some sims at lower levels in the career? Or factor in their skills...something.

3. Leave my "played" sims alone please. I don't care if that hot dog hat wearing freak of nature is a tech guru, but my little ole granny who likes to garden would like to stay unemployed. Thanks.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    61Dustin wrote: »
    Hope, I'm not the only one that feels this way...

Nope, you're not the only one at all. And like Slystar wrote, - Leave "active" households out of this (@devs) or at the very least add the option to leave active households out of the career story-progression, or what ever you want to call it.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yep .... posted about this the day I discovered the following ...
    de6ea7ce63e606a436d80e3d67a34aa4.jpg

ea .... facepalm!!!! Beli is her coworker, and son, he is listed as her coworker under the relationship tab, yet she doesn't know what career he's in because she hasn't asked him about his career.
    -snip-

ps, I should also note that they live in the same house.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Absolutely @SlyStarDust. I think those are great ideas as well.
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member

1. Also, maybe add an unemployed "job" or homemaker or something. I don't want ALL of my sims to have jobs. I would like to have some be unemployed and not dragged into story progression and made to have a job.

2. I also do not think someone with 0 painting skill should suddenly get a high level painting career. Perhaps start some sims at lower levels in the career? Or factor in their skills...something.

3. Leave my "played" sims alone please. I don't care if that hot dog hat wearing freak of nature is a tech guru, but my little ole granny who likes to garden would like to stay unemployed. Thanks.

As for number 1, I asked a random sim once about her career and she said she's a Stay at home mom. And still, most sims I asked are unemployed, so yeah.
  • Options
    smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member

They already have those. :) I've had a couple sims in a couple different games asking around about their friends' careers, and discovered that some are unemployed and some are stay-at-home mom/dad. Granted, who knows if it'll stay that way or not?
  • Options
    @acee313 @smoothyrus129 Then we should have the option to declare our sims as unemployed or a stay at home parent to help manage our game.
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    @acee313 @smoothyrus129 Then we should have the option to declare our sims as unemployed or a stay at home parent to help manage our game.

Hmm. Ok, if I understand you correctly, you want our sims to be Officially unemployed and it will be declared in the sims career panel?
  • Options
    Yeah. That way the game isn't assigning a job to sims that the player doesn't desire. Seems like a simple solution.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yeah Part time Jobs for YA+ would be good.
    I would also Like the option to enroll my teen in (certain) school. instead of the game just forcing them. Just going to throw that in.
    and Teenagers can intern for Full Time jobs
    I would love my teen to become a secret agent in training and go on missions with a Mentor.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    Yeah. That way the game isn't assigning a job to sims that the player doesn't desire. Seems like a simple solution.

I think it's a bug, so if they fix that, making it an official job wouldn't be needed.