Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you take "Sim breaks" and how long do they usually last?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
So for me when I play the Sims, it becomes VERY time consuming as I devote many hours into my gameplay.

To the point where I now take "sim breaks" as I like to call them. That being a time period where I wind down my game play and stop playing it for a month or two. I still follow sim news, ect though.

In my case the LAST time I played the Sims 4 was was back in January when my Sim break started, this partially had to do with my wanting to wait until the new expansion to experience new game play.

So does anybody else here take "sim breaks" and how long do they usually last?

Comments

• Options
    lemonfreshnesslemonfreshness Posts: 147 Member
    My "Sim breaks" are usually week long affairs. I don't get the chance to play all the time so they're usually forced.
    pithy remark
    tumblr_n9sqbr8M5Q1qb9odio1_500.gif
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Yes, I take sim breaks and only go into the game when patches arrive. TS4 bores me. I want to love it, but just can't, too linear/task driven is not my style. As well as missing too much base game content.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    UmberApricotUmberApricot Posts: 887 Member
    Yes I do. My Sim breaks either last a few months, several months, or a year to a year plus.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited March 2015
    I am on an extended break from TS3 because of my Bachelor challenge. I had a great time with it, but the next phase involved sending them on to Isla Paradiso. That's going to require some prep-work and I am not feeling it as I have other things to distract me. :)

TS4, I just load up every now and then, but I don't play for long.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    Ever since I heard more about GTW, I haven't really put in much actual gameplay for a month. I've only been making new Sims and taking a few minor screenshots here and there.
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    s2ladolcevitas2ladolcevita Posts: 341 Member
    Yes. I binge play sims and then I suddenly get tired of it and take a break which can last from anywhere from a month to 6 months and then one day ill think of sims again and get back to binging.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I do - usually long breaks. What I feel like doing with my leisure time varies, basically. Sometimes I'm on a huge novel-reading binge, other times I really want to make little people's lives myself instead of reading about them. And sometimes I'm just plain busy nights and weekends.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I have not logged into the game since December, but that was to take a screen shot for someone. I have not actually played since November. I wanted to like the game, but I did not. I went back to TS3.

However, with the recent addition of basements I have seen some very nice screen shots and my building bug has been itching. I have really been thinking of playing again just to build, which was always one of my favorite things to do in the Sims games. Building in TS4 had some nice features, but no basements and no CASt really killed the enjoyment for me. I am a little afraid I will try to play again just to be disappointed again.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    I get burned out and take Sim breaks, but mostly the decision to get away from gaming has to do with time pressures with grad school and my full-time job. I also play other video games when I get burned out from one. I also keep abreast of what's happening in the Sims 4 thru SimsVIP even when not playing. My blog sorta shows my activity goes up and down. I had a few months where I barely played (January).
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    When I am playing The Sims, I obsess with it for months, not wanting to play anything else, but sometimes a break comes naturally, and I completely forget about The Sims for months, sometimes years! And then I'm back obsessing about the game :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Not really - as I mainly play Sims 2 or Sims 3, but you could say I take Sims 4 breaks. The only time i feel like playing Sims 4 is when the Guru's hand us a challenge - lately - but other than maybe playing one day of a challenge I take a break from Sims 4 and go play Sims 2 or Sims 3 where I can play the game with the whole family intact with babies that are babies and real toddlers. So yeah - I take Sims 4 breaks unless I see a challenge i feel like trying. usually if i am caught up in the challenge I do not focus much on the missing toddler and can play Sims 4 - other wise I can't play it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't take Sim breaks ... am I still normal :# ?
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Since I first started playing sims back in 01 or so, I have taken two major breaks and many smaller ones of a few weeks to a month or so. The longer ones were six months or longer. I took a very long one during TS2, just before Free Time was released and didn't play again until TS3. I took a break sometime in the Spring of '11 and didn't pick back up until fall of that year.
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    My last "sim break" went from towards then end of TS2 until Dec 25, 2014. Right now I'm trying to catch up on blogging the completed builds I have. Started with 65 plus builds and have about 25 left to go. If I get bored with either playing TS4 or building I bounce to another game (usually Star Stable or Star Trek Online) or build in my OpenSim grid.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    Sirjohn4420Sirjohn4420 Posts: 421 Member
    well seems like from this i am one of the very few who enjoy the sims 4. 99% of people in here complain they hate the game etc. For me Cast was never an issue with me honestly. They are slowly adding things back in so those who hate sims 4 in about a year or so will be back playing once the things are back. For me I take small breaks of about a week then go back to playing, sometimes its personal real life issues. So yeah sims 4 is coming along nicely.
    2v9ekhx.gif
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I'll take breaks from Sims anywhere from a few days, to months.

I cycle through phases of "binging" on:

<3 Sims games/ other PC games/ Console games/ Books/ Netflix movies or TV shows ( & blu rays of movies or TV) ...
    Also going outdoors to nearby parks with lakes as often as I can. B)
    Family, of course, alters these binge cycles, lol! :)
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I haven't played sims 4 since the beginning of february because I've just lost interest in it. I have no desire to play it right now. However, I have just recently gotten back into sims 2 and OMG I can't stopppppp!!!
  • Options
    burntcheese223burntcheese223 Posts: 1,157 Member
    I usually take sims breaks that last for about a month or 2 but once I get the urge to play again.. I REALLY want to play lol
  • Options
    ZarrielZarriel Posts: 475 Member
    Yup..., mine last anywhere from a week to a couple of months.
    Origin ID:
    coollogo_com-31276450_zps25ba3967.png

• Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I make Sims and houses very frequently, but I don't actually play the game very often anymore. I can go months without properly playing, but I'll still go back to create every once in a while.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    One of my breaks lasted for two years - from Ambitions to Seasons (2010-2012).
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    I haven't played a real full out game since August :( Haven't touched SIms 4 and played a real game since like November, it is just too bad of a game.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2015
    well seems like from this i am one of the very few who enjoy the sims 4. 99% of people in here complain they hate the game etc. For me Cast was never an issue with me honestly. They are slowly adding things back in so those who hate sims 4 in about a year or so will be back playing once the things are back. For me I take small breaks of about a week then go back to playing, sometimes its personal real life issues. So yeah sims 4 is coming along nicely.

Aw SirJohn - that is fine to like the Sims 4 - don't let it bother you because people like me can't enjoy the game. I understand they are adding back lots of stuff - but the fact remains the only 2 things I missed the most that made my game unplayable were family trees and toddlers. So far I have only gotten back family trees - but the toddler which was my number 1 thing that keeps me unable to really get into the game - is still MIA. That is just me though - and I have no issues with folks who can love Sims 4 just the way it is. Not everyone hates on people who are happy with the game. You have no reason to feel you must hate it too. Enjoy it.

Even though I don't play it much - I still sometimes come and read what others post while playing their games and enjoy their stories and pics. I could probably never hate the Sims even if I find this series unplayable for me - I realize it is not like that for everybody. I understand both sides of the issues and there are a lot of Simmers who also feel like me too.

Just to add - well I have learned through hard knocks in real life - I cannot always depend on what I hope for - as it is not realistic to me to believe just because I want something it will happen. You have far more faith in things like that than I have - but seeing the Maxis team cannot say to us we will make this or that or we are working on this or that - I have to restrain myself from believing in something I wish for, and not spend any more money on this game based on a hope that they will return things to the game like you think they will. For one it is clear some things cannot be returned to the Sims 4 series people loved in Sims 3. So that is an indication that there may be other things that also cannot be added to this game as well. One of those things may be toddlers and seeing i already have tried my hardest to play with out them and can't - there is no point in me wasting more money on eps and things unless they actually return the toddlers first. i have spent 100 dollars so far - so to me I have tried.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I recently took a break of a few weeks not just from the game but from the forums as well -- mainly due to some Real Life complications (ill mother-in-law) but also I was distracted by other games (Cities:Skylines, Hearthstone, a few others). Came back shortly before the new patch to work on a new family and get ready for GTW. Definitely feel more refreshed after the break. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Mine last about a week, and then I spend about 6 hours on playing through a couple of days. Then another week off. Every update just upsets me more than it makes me happy.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5