Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Lag--High End PC (Somewhat Fixed)

mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
Okay. I have a computer with a high end graphics card and midrange CPU. Now, I know that there is lag with ts3 but this it is just bad. My settings in TS3 are Medium-High and I have Overwatch and Master Controller with no CC. I have patch 1.67 with all EPs and SPs. Can anyone help me. This is my Dxdiag: http://pastebin.com/vuY7wcaV

BTW I use radeonpro for fps limiting and vsync.
Post edited by mwdonohue on

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    First thing I would do is update your graphics card drivers. Also lower the high lot detail setting to 2. (it can create lag.)
    Have you got the r9 290 (x)? Just like to confirm the exact card as dxdiag only states the series number.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    First thing I would do is update your graphics card drivers. Also lower the high lot detail setting to 2. (it can create lag.)
    Have you got the r9 290 (x)? Just like to confirm the exact card as dxdiag only states the series number.

I have the r9 280x actually. I have the latest GPU drivers (Omega)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I turned it down to 2 and there is still lag. I'll list off my settings:

Reflection Quality: Mirror and Water
    Edge Smoothing: Medium
    Visual Effects: Medium
    Light and Shadow: Medium
    Tree Detail: High
    Draw Distance: Medium
    High Detail Lot: 2
    Texture Detail: Medium
    Sim Detail: High

And yes, it does recognize it. I checked the files and everything. It recognizes it as an HD 7970.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    hey @mwdonohue im an amd/intel processor player as well and i think the i5 can more then able to handle 280x and more support for this http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2365204/intel-3450-ghz-supportive-type-graphics-cards.html

your lag are you using any nraas mods to help with the game created lag? also have you reviewed your CCC setting http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_8.html

also radeonpro ive never used you may want to try the game with a clean boot just to check to see if it runs better without it running also theres that silly amd experience or something added by raptr did you remove it when you added your drivers. if not when you update drivers do a custom install to turn off adding raptr thing.
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    hey @mwdonohue im an amd/intel processor player as well and i think the i5 can more then able to handle 280x and more support for this http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2365204/intel-3450-ghz-supportive-type-graphics-cards.html

your lag are you using any nraas mods to help with the game created lag? also have you reviewed your CCC setting http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_8.html

also radeonpro ive never used you may want to try the game with a clean boot just to check to see if it runs better without it running also theres that silly amd experience or something added by raptr did you remove it when you added your drivers. if not when you update drivers do a custom install to turn off adding raptr thing.

I have tried it without the mods. Radeonpro just regulates framerate and forces vsync. I tried it without that too. It didn't help. :/ I don't have raptr. I'll check my CCC settings. My GPU is OC'd too. I have the clocks set at 1200 MHz for GPU and 1650 for memory.
  • Options
    ok :) are you using nraas? the only time i get lag or freezing is when i dont have them installed
  • Options
    ok :) are you using nraas? the only time i get lag or freezing is when i dont have them installed

Yes. I am using nraas master controller and overwatch.
  • Options
    ok tell more about the lag when does it happen how long does it happen in one particular world or old save or new world.
  • Options
    It happens in all worlds. It isn't like lag in the sense of slow framerate. It is 60fps, then 5, then 60 then 5. It does it just about every second.
  • Options
    is this lag when stationary or when scrolling around?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Mostly scrolling around.
  • Options
    yeah that's the common lag with the sims 3.. is it choppy when scrolling around? (stutter? )
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    yeah that's the common lag with the sims 3.. is it choppy when scrolling around? (stutter? )

I dont get that :p But Im paying for it in the sims 4 LOL
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I suffered with that all throughout ts3.. never found a solution.. im not saying that's the OP'S problem.. but its a common problem that many people have in ts3. some people have it and some do not.. its pot luck.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I suffered with that all throughout ts3.. never found a solution.. im not saying that's the OP'S problem.. but its a common problem that many people have in ts3. some people have it and some do not.. its pot luck.

I know. I got lucky that I dont get lag like some others do. It is pot luck
  • Options
    @mwdonohue .. the best thing to do firstly is to start with a windows clean boot... it might be software conflicting with the game.
    The fps will drop when scrolling around.. that's normal.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @mwdonohue .. the best thing to do firstly is to start with a windows clean boot... it might be software conflicting with the game.

Okay. I do the clean boot thing anyways. I know it is normal but I'm talking about 60 fps to 5 fps. Like really bad lag spikes.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mwdonohue wrote: »

Okay. I do the clean boot thing anyways. I know it is normal but I'm talking about 60 fps to 5 fps. Like really bad lag spikes.

Have you tried different settings on your vsync? You should not be dropping to 5 fps. Mine stays 58-60 all the time but im not the norm. you should between 40-60. I play on adaptive vsync rather than on it works better for me.

sorry I though you were the other person with Nvida. I see you have AMD .Does AMD have different settings you can try on vsync
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ok I just read in a few places that some report the 14.xx drivers are problematic with the 280x and suggest 13.xx drivers
    Q
    Try rolling back and after done still try one clean boot test again third party apps are the next common reason for card issues
  • Options

Have you tried different settings on your vsync? You should not be dropping to 5 fps. Mine stays 58-60 all the time but im not the norm. you should between 40-60. I play on adaptive vsync rather than on it works better for me.

sorry I though you were the other person with Nvida. I see you have AMD .Does AMD have different settings you can try on vsync

Amd doesn't have vsync in CCC that works. I use Radeonpro for that. I can try using dynamic vsync and report that.
    Ok I just read in a few places that some report the 14.xx drivers are problematic with the 280x and suggest 13.xx drivers
    Q
    Try rolling back and after done still try one clean boot test again third party apps are the next common reason for card issues

Okay. Im going to try this. I noticed on my old card that the omega drivers caused some performance issues. I'll try the old ones.
  • Options
    I updated the drivers to 15.xx and changed the vsync to dynamic in radeonpro. I get much smoother framerate.
  • Options
    I updated the drivers to 15.xx and changed the vsync to dynamic in radeonpro. I get much smoother framerate.

Glad you got it working! Enjoy your game :D
  • Options
    You will probably never get 100% smooth.. but close lol, Enjoy your game :)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Glad you got it working! Enjoy your game :D

Thanks! I'm glad that it was suggested to do these things.
    You will probably never get 100% smooth.. but close lol, Enjoy your game :)

It isn't 100 percent but it is really close.
  • Options
    that's good :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD