Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can install the sims 3 on an external hard drive?

I recently got a new laptop, and the laptop only has 32 GB of internal storage. I have my old games and the other expansion packs I'm going to buy, but before I do, is it possible to install the sims on an external hard drive?

Comments

• Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I believe so, but you will have to make sure the external hard-drive is connected every time you wish to play.

Source: Jack Gerard, eHow Contributor

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6188663_can-3-external-hard-drive_.html
  • Options
    kiaraperezkiaraperez Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you so much! :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    While those instructions are correct in theory, in reality TS3 doesn't like being installed that way and it may not run very well (if at all). You will also be running the game across some kind of external connection (USB?) that could make it drag down like crazy. If it's a USB3 port or something better, you might have better success with redirecting your Documents folder to the external thus keeping your game folder over there instead of installing the programs on it.

But then you'll still be cutting it too close on internal drive space once you start adding the EPs.

Are you sure about that 32 GB? That's really small/tight even for a laptop. What kind of laptop is this?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    kiaraperezkiaraperez Posts: 3 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > While those instructions are correct in theory, in reality TS3 doesn't like being installed that way and it may not run very well (if at all). You will also be running the game across some kind of external connection (USB?) that could make it drag down like crazy. If it's a USB3 port or something better, you might have better success with redirecting your Documents folder to the external thus keeping your game folder over there instead of installing the programs on it.
    >
    > But then you'll still be cutting it too close on internal drive space once you start adding the EPs.
    >
    > Are you sure about that 32 GB? That's really small/tight even for a laptop. What kind of laptop is this?
    It's an HP Stream, Windows 8 laptop, it was a gift, i would've preferred one with a CD/DVD drive and larger space.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks. The Stream is a competitor to the Chromebook. It's an ultra lightweight portable meant for surfing the web, streaming vids, light office tasks, and storing/retrieving stuff in the cloud or on removable media. Wouldn't mind owning one to grab and go when needed, but it's not for gaming.

You might be able to get away with running the TS3 base game only for very short sessions with all graphics settings on their lowest if you can get the installer to work on it, but wouldn't recommend it because even then you would risk overheating and damaging the device. It would not be able to handle any EPs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
  • Options
    Ken_Carson_SimKen_Carson_Sim Posts: 54 Member
    This topic is very intresting. Thanks for sharing all those answers because many players can learn something new about this.
  • Options
    MalwareHunterMalwareHunter Posts: 38 Member
    Although I didn't have storage concerns at the time, when I played The Sims 2 on PC, I tried installing them on an external hard drive. Everything went smoothly--for a while. However, I started having issues with Windows not being able to find certain game files, even though my PC was connected to the external hard drive. Not sure if The Sims 3 would act in that fashion or not...just a thought.
  • Options
    Although I didn't have storage concerns at the time, when I played The Sims 2 on PC, I tried installing them on an external hard drive. Everything went smoothly--for a while. However, I started having issues with Windows not being able to find certain game files, even though my PC was connected to the external hard drive. Not sure if The Sims 3 would act in that fashion or not...just a thought.
    It often does. That's what I meant by "TS3 doesn't like being installed that way and it may not run very well (if at all)" above. But, as the OP's computer is not really capable of running the game for long and with any EPs without likely sustaining damage, it may be a moot point for them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!