Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paint from reference (Grainy)

Comments

• RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited March 2015
    Ayumap wrote: »
    2s6n0ih.jpg
    @Ayumap These are so gorgeous! If you get GTW, I can see these all over a cute little retail shop selling garden stuff. <3
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    qrlcode wrote: »
    @Ayumap Those paintings are gorgeous.

Thank you. :) I'm working on building a new house on the pancake lot and started working on the landscape when I remembered our sims can paint landscapes now. :) I wanted something to decorate the interior with.

@RachelRoseBud, I can upload a lot with just a wall + paintings if you'd like to have them. ^^
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah the landscape portraits look great. The sims portraits...not so much. :#
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • PinkJellyBeansPinkJellyBeans Posts: 219 Member
    Yeah, I'm not a fan either. It just looks like a picture with really bad quality. Hopefully someone will be able to mod it, or EA will improve it in the future.

This honestly doesn't look like a painting at all to me.

4ie7uc.png

• Artemis_DreamerArtemis_Dreamer Posts: 200 Member
    I'm very fond of the way that the "paint from reference" lanscape paintings turn out.

It seems to be an impressionist look, and reminds me a bit of works by Monet.

It's not great for portraits (there's a reason that there aren't many in the real-life impressionist style XD) but for landscapes it's really quite beautiful. Many of the screenshots in this thread exemplify that.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2015
    The grainy picture is definitely not what I was expecting. I'm OK with it since I know Get to Work is going to have a photo studio with posing, group portraits, etc, with what looks like high quality portraits: (as per this screenshot from SimsVIP... https://flickr.com/photos/simsvip/16783601675/)

But I admit I wish the painting operated more like Sims 2 where what you painted looked exactly like in-game:

Sims2EP92012-09-0114-10-08-67_zps607fc1fc.jpg

That's what the Photography Skill is for ;) This is just a taste to entice people to play GTW. Lol.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Bummer about how the sim's portraits look.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I like it because it looks like a real painting. They were never supposed to look like normal photos taken with a camera.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    The grainy picture is definitely not what I was expecting. I'm OK with it since I know Get to Work is going to have a photo studio with posing, group portraits, etc, with what looks like high quality portraits: (as per this screenshot from SimsVIP... https://flickr.com/photos/simsvip/16783601675/)

But I admit I wish the painting operated more like Sims 2 where what you painted looked exactly like in-game:

It took a ton of tries to get the clear shot in masterpiece quality. The clear shot was a random chance.

• mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    I like it because it looks like a real painting. They were never supposed to look like normal photos taken with a camera.

These are also portrait style paintings done with the painting skill in TS4 that look very much like paintings. I understand that they're not meant to be photorealistic, but something along these lines would have been much more aesthetically pleasing to me. Better yet, just give us options for artistic style. Impressionism or Pointillism may work well for landscapes but I don't find it to be appealing for Sim portraits. If others do, they can stick with it, but maybe give us another option that allows to paint with results more like TS2, or like the paintings below. Options are always nice!

10-29-14_1-23nbspPM-2_zps4e990192.png
  • greytorrent1greytorrent1 Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2015
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Thank you. That was one thing I was always disappointed about with paint from reference but, when I consider the options for how to do it, I don't see any way to change that set up. I guess the only thing I'd prefer is to be able to take and save photos and then when we want to paint from reference, we can choose to either take a new picture or paint from a picture we have saved.

I agree with this. We can't paint from a photo or a memory? does this mean that you can't paint a nice couple portrait? I've got some really nice screen shots / memories that would have made great portrait shots. With this system I'm not seeing how a couple painting is possible.

And what about self portraits? Do you have the ability to rotate around and refrence the sim that's painting to make a self portrait? My sims wife has the art skill. Is he going to have to level in the art skill also just to get a portrait of his wife?
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited March 2015
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Thank you. That was one thing I was always disappointed about with paint from reference but, when I consider the options for how to do it, I don't see any way to change that set up. I guess the only thing I'd prefer is to be able to take and save photos and then when we want to paint from reference, we can choose to either take a new picture or paint from a picture we have saved.

I agree with this. We can't paint from a photo or a memory? does this mean that you can't paint a nice couple portrait? I've got some really nice screen shots / memories that would have made great portrait shots. With this system I'm not seeing how a couple painting is possible.

And what about self portraits? Do you have the ability to rotate around and refrence the sim that's painting to make a self portrait? Or is my sim going to have to level in the art skill just to get a portrait of his wife?

I haven't figured out a way to take a self portrait. It's too bad because hanging pictures of each generation has always been my thing, but how do I capture my founder in her young adult age? Someone suggested putting a mirror in the path of your painter. I haven't tried his yet; has anyone?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I had no clue you could get different results. I just assumed since I tried it with a level 10 painter.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Allison18Allison18 Posts: 399 Member
    I think it makes a world of a difference with lighting. Natural outdoor lighting morning-afternoon usually wind up looking good, but if taken in shadows, dimmer interior - there are too many cool tones to the picture and the painting (portrait especially) tends to look gray/blue and dull. I'd definitely say overall the nature paintings tend to look better, but a well-lit setting for a portrait should turn out well.
    ch_dadpost.gif
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    Maybe other styles of painting will come in a future artist EP... ;)
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    mortia wrote: »

These are also portrait style paintings done with the painting skill in TS4 that look very much like paintings. I understand that they're not meant to be photorealistic, but something along these lines would have been much more aesthetically pleasing to me. Better yet, just give us options for artistic style. Impressionism or Pointillism may work well for landscapes but I don't find it to be appealing for Sim portraits. If others do, they can stick with it, maybe give us another option that allows to paint with results more like TS2, or like the paintings below.

The one on the left is gorgeous! <3

“Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    mortia wrote: »

These are also portrait style paintings done with the painting skill in TS4 that look very much like paintings. I understand that they're not meant to be photorealistic, but something along these lines would have been much more aesthetically pleasing to me. Better yet, just give us options for artistic style. Impressionism or Pointillism may work well for landscapes but I don't find it to be appealing for Sim portraits. If others do, they can stick with it, but maybe give us another option that allows to paint with results more like TS2, or like the paintings below. Options are always nice!

The one on the left looks like it was done in oil pastels. The one on the right looks like an oil painting. I'd love to have options for charcoal, watercolor, pastels, oil pastels and oils. I would be content with just those 5 basic options. :)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

That's what the Photography Skill is for ;) This is just a taste to entice people to play GTW. Lol.

It hasn't enticed me, it's just put me off even more. If anything would make me buy Sims 4, it would be this "open for business" pack, but after seeing these pictures, I think I'll just wait and see if the next expansion provides something I like.

Sims 2 has these fantastic paintings done by easel, but Sims 2 has photography as well. You can paint your sims, but you can also take photo's of them, in the photoboth, with the small camera and with the large camera reward. My sims have wedding photo's all over the house, in small size. And they don't need no studio. They can take them themselves, or they can ask any passing stranger to do it for them. The pictures go on walls, tables and shelves. The larger photo's using the art career reward allows for posing and also added special effects, such as sepia etc. (its mandatory in my game for all high level jobs and business people to provide a good photo for the town hall)

Not forgetting the ability in Sims 2 to take any picture from anywhere in real life (your own pictures, stuff off the web, logo's, (or right now I make up price lists and signs for doors) and get your sims to paint them. I get a kick out of producing a sim world full of sim paintings, made by sims for sims..... for the museum, the studio lot, or just to fill up the shops and bars.

I'm glad you all enjoy the new blurry Sims 4 painting thingy, I'm not a fan.... I just wonder why it seems a little less than what I got in Sims 2, a game produced over 10 years ago. Why couldn't they make "blurry", "pointilism", "impressionism", thing an option, and provide a proper clear painting portrait for them sims players who want it? A proper representative painting, that you can use for gameplay and to make stories. Unfortunately the more support such compromises get, the more people like me, get turned off.

At least they brought the "paint from reference back".. Good thing I suppose, if very blurry.
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Miamine wrote: »

It hasn't enticed me, it's just put me off even more. If anything would make me buy Sims 4, it would be this "open for business" pack, but after seeing these pictures, I think I'll just wait and see if the next expansion provides something I like.

Sims 2 has these fantastic paintings done by easel, but Sims 2 has photography as well. You can paint your sims, but you can also take photo's of them, in the photoboth, with the small camera and with the large camera reward. My sims have wedding photo's all over the house, in small size. And they don't need no studio. They can take them themselves, or they can ask any passing stranger to do it for them. The pictures go on walls, tables and shelves. The larger photo's using the art career reward allows for posing and also added special effects, such as sepia etc. (its mandatory in my game for all high level jobs and business people to provide a good photo for the town hall)

Not forgetting the ability in Sims 2 to take any picture from anywhere in real life (your own pictures, stuff off the web, logo's, (or right now I make up price lists and signs for doors) and get your sims to paint them. I get a kick out of producing a sim world full of sim paintings, made by sims for sims..... for the museum, the studio lot, or just to fill up the shops and bars.

I'm glad you all enjoy the new blurry Sims 4 painting thingy, I'm not a fan.... I just wonder why it seems a little less than what I got in Sims 2, a game produced over 10 years ago. Why couldn't they make "blurry", "pointilism", "impressionism", thing an option, and provide a proper clear painting portrait for them sims players who want it? A proper representative painting, that you can use for gameplay and to make stories. Unfortunately the more support such compromises get, the more people like me, get turned off.

At least they brought the "paint from reference back".. Good thing I suppose, if very blurry.

Basically, they didn't have to give us anything. This is a feature from Get To Work they patched in for us as a little extra. In Get To Work, we have other options, different filters etc. This is just a sample.

We also can take a camera wherever we go in The Sims 4 as well. They aren't going to give us all the features from Get To Work in a patch. That would be the worst marketing ever.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    @Miamine wrote: »

Basically, they didn't have to give us anything. This is a feature from Get To Work they patched in for us as a little extra. In Get To Work, we have other options, different filters etc. This is just a sample.

We also can take a camera wherever we go in The Sims 4 as well. They aren't going to give us all the features from Get To Work in a patch. That would be the worst marketing ever.

They already do a good job at that anyways.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @LoneOnyxStardust I think you have the best portrait painting of the thread. Nice job on it. The landscape picture looks really nice too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member

Yeah, my sims went for photography in TS3 when I wanted portraits for the wall because I didn't care for the painting filters to make paintings painterly.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    AndyBrains wrote: »
    Maybe there will be more options in the future, not 100% grainy but yeah I see what you mean. Still it's a great feature. :smile:

Same. I hope for more options to paint in the future. :D
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I haven't had as much success as others up thread with my sim's new paintings. They look too pixelated & grainy, like they tried and failed at Impressionism. I do appreciate that they included this in a patch, but I hope in the future we'll have more painting styles for "Paint from reference" and that our sims will be able to paint from photos or from memory.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Can you put your easel in inventory now. and take it with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top