Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes you to come back to The Sims 2?

Comments

• InHeavenInHeaven Posts: 17 New Member
    They do feel more human to me as well. They can surprise me and I find Sims 2 in general more challenging, just to keep up with their needs and mood etc. Even though the graphics are not "up to date" it actually does not bother me. I find being more able to create my own story and sims having a more quirky well rounded personality, means more than perfect graphics. I do play Sims 3 and 4 as well, but I always make room for Sims 2 :wink:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yep so agree they are the most human behaving like Sims of them all. It is really like being part of a real bunch of tiny people lives more than any of the series. They are often unpredictable, even in identical circumstances as to how one of these little Sims may react to what's going on around them - which is always a delightful surprise. In Sims 2 I very much feel it is the God game Will Wright meant the Sims to be much more than Sims 1 was and way better done than Sims 3 or 4 could even come close to. Even though they were still just pixels - somehow they transcended that state many times during a play session - especially if you played the Sims 2 a lot.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    TS3 was the first sims game I played, but I always was curious about TS2, and when I started playing it and even before, I found it so obvious why TS2 fans love it so much. The characters are so realistic and have interesting reactions, with surprises, and their interactions are so cute and funny. From all the sims games, this is definitely the one where the sims are the most believable and human. You can imagine them as real people in the real world ; in more recent versions, it's a bit more difficult, sims don't feel so real. And they can go to a "real" grocery store, not a rabbit hole, and do so many things that don't exist in more recent versions. Their personality can adapt and evolve. They're more difficult to maintain, they can experience misery like in the real world and not like the utopian worlds that TS3 and TS4 depict. I haven't played TS2 much yet (because I'm still waiting to get UC so I can fully enjoy it) but even after that short experience, I've never become so much attached to a game in such a short time.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    The humorous, endearing, and lifelike sims; the lovely little details; the depth; the various interactions; having more animations; the lively lots; OFB stuff; lack of rabbitholes (especially for restaurants and some types of stores and businesses, like grocery stories, etc); the affectionate behaviors of sims; toddlers and babies feeling more lifelike; the depth; the time-frozen closed lots; that feeling of true control (no Story Progression for me);

--and so much more! :smiley:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    The sims is why I always go back to sims 2.. I miss the sims!! 3 and 4 are not the same.. :disappointed:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited December 2016
    I never came back to TS2. I actually more or less skipped it, playing The Sims until TS3 came out.

I gave TS2 a second chance a few months ago because I was disappointed with TS4 and figured that maybe I would like it better second time around. I did like it better, but not as much as TS3.

I don't like the graphics of TS2 very much, but I love the gameplay. I do like the graphics of TS4, but I don't like the gameplay (it's too bland, nothing unexpected happens...)

Generally I play either TS3 or The Sims. I'm an 'odd' Simmer, I guess. (So maybe I'll like TS5?)

(Edit: Why is this thread in the The Sims section instead of the The Sims 2 section, though?)

• AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    The music of sims 2 is incredible. Sims 3 music not so much.
  • AllieSootieAllieSootie Posts: 450 Member
    I like all the expansion packs, they are so much fun! I especially like Bon Voyage, Seasons, University and Pets!
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I don't know that I've ever really "left" any of the games. I will tend to only play one for a few months then stop and play another, but I'm always playing one of them at some point.
    I currently am on a sims 2 kick because I got bored of the sims 3 family I'd been playing since September, and with Parenthood out I'm starting to play 4 a bit more
  • SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    -The Sims 2 lets you do more stuff than TS1, and I love all expansions from TS2, unlike TS3.
    -I also play it more than TS3, because regarding the latter, I don't care about open worlds if the Sims look ugly and I don't like the design of the menus and the gameplay, or the expansions in general. I borrowed this generation from a cousin and I had to uninstall it and came back to TS1 and TS2. TS2 is super fun to play, whereas I find TS3 really dull.

With regards to TS2 expansions:

-I love playing University, it's really good and I can do so many things there (I love when the mascots come and sing the team song. (Though I always get rid of the Cow Mascot because is evil, and no one will mess up with my Sims on my watch). Everything that comes with this expansion is great, really.
    -Bon Voyage is also one of my favorite ones, with the secret lots, getting new things from their holiday, etc.
    -Apartment Life lets you be a witch of different kinds, and I always cheat to become one instantly and go to the Witches' Lot (moreover, the furniture and wallpapers are amazing). Social classes are also a new implementation (since in TS1 this feature didn't exist) that I like.
    -Nightlife is great; I love the cars that come with it, vampires, and the dating system. Oh and don't forget about the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Matchmaker, making compatible Sims fall from the sky (literally). They screw up in TS3 in comparison with this generation.

Finally, we have the Insiminator, which is easy to use and let me do anything I want to, while the equivalent in TS4 needs to be updated often, it's tedious.
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    For me, 2 is just so much more simple and I can just sit and relax and play instead of having to plan and strategize like I feel I'm always doing in 3, and I just get bored of 4. So I really like playing 2 when I just want to play and not think.
  • HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    I agree with you! Sims 2 runs like a DREAM on my PC while Sims 3... not so much. I love the look of the Sims in TS2, and how I can add so much CC and mods to make it exactly how I want it

i havent been able to play the sims 3 for a while because it keeps crashing =(
    i usually go back to the sims 2 because i just enjoy the content, i enjoy what you can do with your sims. love open for business, and the options for nightlife. Plus i feel like there's always some sort of drama in my game. I just played Olive Specter recently, and had her living up the last days of her life, added a few new tombstones to her lot after locking a sim in the bathroom & having a headmaster get eaten by flies for not letting Ophelia into the college. XD Olive passed, and THEN the same day, after I was preparing Ophelia to live out her adult life (decided not to send her to college) she dies too!! She saw a ghost and fell to the ground! game over. *shakes head* haha but i feel like there is a lot of unexpected drama in sims 2, which keeps it interesting.
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I've been playing the Sims 2 for something like ten years at this point, and I still sometimes discover new interactions, because there are some autonomous interactions that are only available to sims with a certain personality type. Hyper neat sims will wash windows, playful sims will swing on the refrigerator door... I have a pleasure sim who consistently rolls the want to "Freestyle for tips" and whips out a microphone to rap, something I knew was an option but have never seen the want for before.

With Free Time, sims who top their hobbies get new wants related to how they're earning their hobby enthusiasm. Toddlers can get to know each other by playing at a play table, singing nursery rhymes, or hugging.

I just found out that sims who are furious with another sim have the option to tank that sim's relationship with other sims (including ones they've never met) by "bad mouthing" them, an option that I'm going to ensure that my mean sims take in the future!
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • aloadaialoadai Posts: 51 Member
    Well it runs very nicely on my laptop *cough*unlike Sims 3*cough*

But other than that, there is always so much to do. I only have two sims right now, but there is so much you can do with them. I love taking them out and doing couple stuff. They each have their own way of doing things and they interact differently with other Sims. I think it's great they have their own quirks. I just really like the different places you can take your sims to and hang out. And it's always funny, with the NPC sims there is always something weird going on, like getting into a fight. It's the most "realistic" Sim game in the series and that makes it the more fun to play, because it's the kind of realism we wish we had in our lives. Realistic in the sense that there are bills and household appliances to fix and relationship/work problems, but it feels more positive.

Oh, and they always sound like they're going "blah blah bleh bluh blah" when they speak, I love it
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    I know for me I lost access to the computer that had the sims 2 on it after university came out missed out on the rest, so when they gave out the UC I finally got to play with everything...still fall into a routine that I like but have not gone through much lol. I enjoy going back to what I'm used to but some of it is still new to me. I always liked how they interacted though granted I have enjoyed all of the games but that's just me proud simmer. :)
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • XxIesjuhXxIesjuh Posts: 78 Member
    Sims 2 makes me feel sooo nostalgic. Plus I have all the EP's, so it has a lot more possibilities than my Sims 3.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    I always comes back to sims 2 for many reasons but the main thing is the sims themselves. In my opinion they have the best personalities and react best to events that happen to them.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited August 2017
    Okay this game lacks of good modern features that traits, open world, cast, search bar, moo from ts4 but this game isn't a waste of time. It's hard to be bored or disappointed because you can stay hours in front of without being bored. This is a game you can easily enjoy and not so much old as people said.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • MidnightmoonliteMidnightmoonlite Posts: 27 Member
    I love sims 2. I started with sims 1, I've played 3 but I didn't get the same feeling when playing 2. I love how it feels more real in sims 2 and I love the memories. However I do wish sims 2 didn't have load screens and you could visit neighbors lol I get tired of switching all the time. It can be time consuming which just frustrates me (I'm impatient
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    The hot pre-mades, mostly.
    And the hot romance.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    All of you have pretty well covered it. Sims 2 is far superior in every way for all the reasons you have mentioned, so won't try to cover the ground again. Something only occasionally mentioned is that the game is, and always has been, very CC/Mod friendly, so we may customize to our heart's content without fear of Maxis doing something to ruin it all. This is important for me as I like to do period gaming, mostly Victorian and Medieval. In Sims2 both are a breeze, nigh to impossible in TS4. Can't speak for 3 as I bailed on it very early on. Being a writer I love to do stories, and Sims2 (and 1) is the only readily available Sims game that lets you do that. Snapshots are tied to households, and they display in proper order, neither of which is true in TS4. There is ample room for a good sized caption, complete with dialogue, so you can easily do your own graphic novel. Not mentioned yet is the considerable amount and variety of resources available to builders, from being able to build any style house you want to customizing the ground they sit on, Sims2 has it. Want to customize sims and/or outfits? Body Shop, limited only by your imagination and ability with an art program.

Yes, the other Sims games have some things 2 doesn't (the little pond with R/C sailboats & fish feeding, food stalls/carts in 1; not sure what in 3; CAS, lot sized basements, semi-open worlds where one may visit neighbors in 4), but viewed as a whole Sims2 is by far the best of the lot, both in what it offers and in not having more bugs than the town dump.
  • swillflyswillfly Posts: 54 Member
    ..apparently I came back to TS2 because I'm a nostalgic eediot.. just a billion more posts until I can change my avatar to something kewl like a [i]dark[/i] green plumbob
    Would you like some breakfast?
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    edited October 2017
    I came back to TS2 for pretty much all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Plus, my video card has been flaking out and TS4 and the MMORPG I play kept shutting down my computer. New card ordered so I figured I'd give my machine a break and play something easier on it. What a joy THAT has turned out to be.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of things that make TS2 special. One that I loved is that if one of my Sims has a shop, my other created Sims come to shop there. When I go back to play that shopper Sim, the item(s) they purchased from the shop owner are in their inventory. How cool is THAT!?

I'm really grateful that Maxis chose to give us UC. I probably wouldn't have reinstalled my huge collection of TS2 and would have missed out on the best simulation game ever. Glad to be back.

Edit: not sure if I should keep adding new posts to this thread and therefore bumping it or keep editing this one. Today’s reason is SNOW! I have been rotating with my 6 founding families 5 Sim days each. And today, we hit winter. I was more excited about the first snow than my Sims were. So pretty!
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
  • emilymsimsemilymsims Posts: 398 Member
    I keep coming back to the sims 2 because of how fast paced the gameplay is and how many outcomes can occur at any given moment. Sims 4 looks beautiful but it lacks random actions from sims.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Quite simply, its fun. The Sims 2 sims might not have emotions, but they each seem to have their own unique personalities. I love the little details that were added and the easter eggs and references to pop culture. Its so tongue in cheek and light hearted while being a bit dark at the same time. I feel like those little things were lost to a large extent as the years went by and the newer versions of the game were released. I love 3 and 4, but they just seem to be missing that little spark that this one has.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.