Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes you to come back to The Sims 2?

NaiaNaia Posts: 117 Member
Hello.I have no doubt that there are some people who can't stop playing The Sims 2. So what always make you to come back to The Sims 2 from other The Sims games (like The Sims 3 or The Sims 4)?
For me the reasons why I come back playing The Sims 2 is that it's much funnier to play,the sims act more like a human (not more like a robots like on The Sims 3 with some stupid autonomous actions like heckle,easily predicted social interactions because it's too easy to get into relationship ,not like on Sims 2 where it was harder get into relationship ) stupid rabbit holes,slow sims reaction time (it takes seconds to make the sims to do any task).

Comments

• Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I agree with you! Sims 2 runs like a DREAM on my PC while Sims 3... not so much. I love the look of the Sims in TS2, and how I can add so much CC and mods to make it exactly how I want it
  • AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    A part of why I come back to TS2 are the premade sims. I love playing out the stories in Pleasantview and Strangetown. I do also like to make my own families and I think the charm of the game and good memories I have associated with it keep me playing. TS2 had such a great set of expansions too, there are things I haven't done in the game even now so there's always a new path to take with a family.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have asked myself that a thousand times until I read why it is built the way it was built and the concept The Sims would be built upon the failure states as being part of the challenge of over coming things so they could get a better life and the fact there is a lot more interactions, more failure, or more happiness worth overcoming the failure and the freedom to try to build anything you can think of, makes it the most amazing game I have ever played. I may take long breaks from it, but I would never, ever dream of not have a copy of the game, or losing my copies of my saves of gameplay and builds.

It still rules. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • zagbooruleszagboorules Posts: 474 Member
    edited March 2015
    It runs a lot faster than my other sims games, there are so many more interactions IMO. The sims actually open a car door and get into a car that pulls out of a driveway, the sims actually pick up the phone off the wall to answer it, when a parent gets a promotion at work they are given hugs from their kids to congratulate them and so many more animations like that make me come back to this game, it feels more real to me, the sims in this game are always doing something. Just a shame there's no story progression. I don't mind rotational play though.
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited March 2015
    Agreed, OP! The comical unpredictability in sims 2 is one of the major reasons I returned to it. I also feel like sims 2 got the most attention to detail (in general) and allows the most flexibility for the player at the same time. Sims 2 sims are also the ones the feel most attached to. I could start a family in sims 2 and play that same family endelessly. Whereas with sims 3 and sims 4 I get bored very quickly with a family. This is why in sims 2, I have 3-4 families and each family dynamic is completely different! It makes it so interesting! Whereas, with sims 3 and 4, I have about 15 saved families and each one is basically the same, even though their personalities, jobs, and interests are different.

After finally accepting that I am done with sims 4 for now, just two weeks ago I went back to playing sims 2 ultimate collection... I haven't played sims 2 since sims 3 was released! Let me tell you... hearing that sims 2 music again for the first time, and re-experiencing all those "Oh my gosh!! I remember this!! This is so cool!!!" moments was awesome! I was grinning from ear to ear and laughing out loud to myself. I can't begin to tell you all how happy I am to be excited about a sims game again!

I thought I would be disappointed knowing that, for me, sims is most likely coming to an end. And for a while I was. But since I've gone back to sims 2, I am okay with that :) I can be more than perfectly happy sticking with this game, no matter what ends up happening to the franchise :)
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have asked myself that a thousand times until I read why it is built the way it was built and the concept The Sims would be built upon the failure states as being part of the challenge of over coming things so they could get a better life and the fact there is a lot more interactions, more failure, or more happiness worth overcoming the failure and the freedom to try to build anything you can think of, makes it the most amazing game I have ever played. I may take long breaks from it, but I would never, ever dream of not have a copy of the game, or losing my copies of my saves of gameplay and builds.

It still rules. :D

It does rule! I think that concept of failure is one of the reasons I get attached to sims 2 sims more than another other generation. Playing through my sims failures makes them feel more alive to me.
  • cooldood555cooldood555 Posts: 82 Member
    edited April 2015
    I love the way it runs - much faster than TS3. There's lots of awesome mods out there, and I love the graphics. Nothing better than playing with the best graphic settings! lol Plus, it retains the point system for traits, which I enjoy (I like the later system, too, but this definitely beats the TS4 traits), and there's just so much to it. Plus, they seem to have a lot more used useful autonomy - instead of just playing video games or catering to a need that isn't nearly as critical as another one, they're actually proactive about their own motives and don't act totally useless. Plus, aliens. :P
    That being said, TS3 is a close second favorite for me - the biggest problem I have is how taxing it is on my computer.
  • StymieStymie Posts: 169 Member
    I like how the Sims 2 you'll end up using almost every expansion pack content while compare to Sims 3, you'll probably not be using like 3-4 expansion pack. Sims 2 still has the comical humor that I like such as the aspiration failures.
    Intel Core i7 4790k| 8GB Ram | MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | MSI Z97-Gaming 5 Mobo | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G700 Gaming Mouse|
    Steam Profile (Feel free to add me but leave a comment first)
    13VpVgn.jpg
    Origin: StymieG
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited April 2015
    It's the ultimate in sandbox freedom for me. I can micromanage all the playable sims in the neighborhood to my heart's content. The sims' personalities are rich and realistic. When I want to play out a story in my head, I load Sims 2 because it's what works for story playing.

Edit- After playing Sims 4 for a few days (checking out GTW), I wanted to add another point important to me. I have ROOM to do so much in Sims 2. Multiple families, townies, single sims, all throughout the neighborhood. No worries that I'll run out of space. I feel like Sims 4 is a small snack that isn't very filling, while Sims 2 is a multiple course meal.
    Post edited by Cabelle1863 on
  • mhahse57mhahse57 Posts: 12 New Member
    edited April 2015
    I definitely still play Sims 2. It is such a rich collection of worlds, and the custom content has become very familiar to me. I loved the cars that we could get from Sims2CarSource, and loved all the custom content we could download from fan sites like MTS2 and Insimenator. Those three were my favorite sites, and I still haunt them to replace lost CC that failed to follow my saved games. With the release of the Ultimate Collection on Origin, I have spent many more hours creating new stories with my favorite S2 in-game families, and my own favorite sims. Coming up with new twists on old themes has been really fun for me. When I get tired of my Sims 4 protagonists, I go back to Strangetown.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Games like Sims 4 made me try out Sims 2.

Sims 4 is just shallow and feels empty. I gave Sims 2 a go and have no regrets <3
    Sims 2 is just a great sims game and I for sure play it here and there, even if the graphics glitch out on me.
  • seVenpeaceloVeseVenpeaceloVe Posts: 501 Member
    sims 2 is everything the sims 4 wishes it was. true sandbox play! played yesterday for the first time in nearly 10 years. brandi broke going outside to the schoolbus to yell at dustin for sneaking out the night before was so realistic. when a fight breaks out ppl yell and react or even cheer and boo. they remember things that happened to them. they react to their surroundings. they look up at you as if to ask what the plumm when they need to do something youre not doing.

played sims 4 before that and my sim crash landed his rocket and as he crawled out of the fiery wreckage, the sims standing right next to it continued their conversation, finished it, then both jogged off never acknowledging that anything ever happened.
    free the sims!
    http://youtu.be/Bj7wOfUwHlo <<sims 2 dane cook creepy work guy. hilarious!
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    Just started playing sims2 for the very first time. I started with sims 3 back in the day. I am absolutely loving it and I haven't even added any mods or CC yet. Love the sense of humor it's actually funny lol not like TS3 or 4 which the humor is some what tedious at best.
    It's very easy to bond with your family it's like they actually have personalities.

I've also given up on TS4, I really wanted to like it and I gave it my best shot but it's so shallow and boring.
    I took the pledge
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    the fact that the game is so full of spark charm and amazement sooooo much to do and i can play endlessly never get bored
  • gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    I love Sims 2. It has charm, it has substance, it has true sandbox and more family play than any game in the series. In Sims 2, the player truly is a sim god. You can control literally everything pretty much with your sims. I create my own neighborhoods all the time, my own townies, my own lots. It truly is played MY way. No other game has come this close to ultimate player control. The sims themselves have such personality! I actually prefer the points system, where they can have nice, neat, lazy, shy, and playful set. It seems to give more depth. There are far more animations. I love how if you tell a sim to do something when their motives are low, they will look up at you disgusted and go I don't feel like it or something like that. It is hilarious. The sim couples cuddle in bed, they hold hands in bed, and they are so loving! I will watch them sometimes and they will actually fulfill their own wants at times without any direction from the player at all. You can encourage the children to change their personality points as well.
    gayars wrote: »
    I love Sims 2. It has charm, it has substance, it has true sandbox and more family play than any game in the series. In Sims 2, the player truly is a sim god. You can control literally everything pretty much with your sims. I create my own neighborhoods all the time, my own townies, my own lots. It truly is played MY way. No other game has come this close to ultimate player control. The sims themselves have such personality! I actually prefer the points system, where they can have nice, neat, lazy, shy, and playful set. It seems to give more depth. There are far more animations. I love how if you tell a sim to do something when their motives are low, they will look up at you disgusted and go I don't feel like it or something like that. It is hilarious. The sim couples cuddle in bed, they hold hands in bed, and they are so loving! I will watch them sometimes and they will actually fulfill their own wants at times without any direction from the player at all. You can encourage the children to change their personality points as well.

And all of that is pretty awesome. The wonderful thing about it is that out of all you mentioned there are a ton more reasons...
  • meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    I couldn't put my finger on it before, but the Sims are so much more alive. I just got done playing with a family in Belladonna Cove and so many things happened. The sims actually interacted with each other. One of the sisters (Samantha I believe) was tinkering with the TV and she got electrocuted. Well, instead of ignoring her, the other sister actually ran down the stairs to make sure that she was alright. And then after a party, the other sister (Francine?) threw a party and fell in love with an evil witch. Then she couldn't stop thinking about her and they were so adorable that they got engaged and will probably get married the next time I play.

It is just the little things that really make the sims come to life. I forgot how addicting an actual life simulator could be.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2015
    The sims seem more like real people in actions and play - the community lots give real life experiences - no rabbitholes - cars are real life like - we are their Gods and they live in our sandbox like Will Wright said the concept of his game was supposed to be. In sims1 the experience was limited because of the sims - not aging, few life stages, working and school 7 days a week, and time moved way too fast.

Sims 2 rectified all the shortcomings of Sims 1 and no game since has delivered the near perfection of the Sims 2 game. I do have to use lifelike skins, eyes, and some hairs on my Sims 2 sims so looks wise they are lacking - but once I added those three things - everything about the Sims 2 makes the game interesting and endless fun no matter how many times you do something. The sims often react very differently to situations in Sims 2 - where Sims 3 and 4 the do the same old tired repetitious reactions. No two sims 2 games are ever alike - just some similarities (the programmed stuff) - and it is the only sims game like that. Sims 2 sims are full of surprises at times.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• seVenpeaceloVeseVenpeaceloVe Posts: 501 Member
    features! freedom to do whatever you want how you want! authentic sandbox gameplay! clicking on your sims 2 sim gives you a whole tree of options. clicking on your sims 4 sim...you can jog. pffft!

gayars wrote: »

And all of that is pretty awesome. The wonderful thing about it is that out of all you mentioned there are a ton more reasons...
    i third this emotion.

@Writin_Reg yup!

everybody said everything i think about when i play. and youre right @sweetface44 there are a ton more reasons.

free the sims!
    http://youtu.be/Bj7wOfUwHlo <<sims 2 dane cook creepy work guy. hilarious!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2015
    On top of it there is no ceiling on the number of sims you can have in your hoods and you can make your worlds as big as you want just by connecting them to subhoods including your own I had a world I called Kings World that had 10 addtional subhood besides the regular ones and each subhood was based on a Stephen King book.

I could actually make their lots - their homes - everything just as was in the books because you are not limited. You do still have the 8 sim person household - but there is no culling and no the sim count ceiling I think pescado said was like 34ooo or higher even - I recall he said as long as you have the pc to handle tons of sims you want have an issue. My Kings world had 900 between all the subhoods and I had no issues at all because of the sandbox play but playing rotationally in that world took forever to get through every household because there was no Maxis sims in it at all.

Really there is no negatives to speak of - our sims can food shop, clothing shop, in the vacation worlds they can shop on the board walks get professional massages - they get waited on by waiters in restaurants, and chef's cook the meals, it is so much like humans it isn't funny. Oh and if you are new to the sims 2 - want to enjoy a romantic night out with a date - try all the little romantic jesters you get at the dinner table between sims on a date. You sim can even propose marriage over dinner. You sim can feed the other bites of food, toun hand hold hand - then there is slow dancing - so romantic. You can go to stores and buy gifts for new people in town or if you go to a dinner part. They have caterers and bartenders you can hire for your parties - and wait to you see all the reactions toddlers can have with all members of their family including pets - and even strangers. Strangers are funny.

Really Sims 2 put a;; the rest of the Sims games to shame - no question about it. Also have bills due, but no money to pay them - go out in your sims yard and click on the ground - your sim can move around the yard clicking to dig for treasure and sell the stuff until you can pay the sims bills. I know you can use cheats - but it is more fun - also you get things you can also use - as the better stuff sims get they get buff benefits - or you might find maps to use in the vacation treasure hunt also.

So if you are new - try everything you can think of as no other sims games gives you more interactions for more things than I can list.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Inam.working on a girls group home for bad teen girls..I can't wait until I finish building the house I will try to post pictures when co pomplete
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    Agreed, OP! The comical unpredictability in sims 2 is one of the major reasons I returned to it. I also feel like sims 2 got the most attention to detail (in general) and allows the most flexibility for the player at the same time. Sims 2 sims are also the ones the feel most attached to. I could start a family in sims 2 and play that same family endelessly. Whereas with sims 3 and sims 4 I get bored very quickly with a family. This is why in sims 2, I have 3-4 families and each family dynamic is completely different! It makes it so interesting! Whereas, with sims 3 and 4, I have about 15 saved families and each one is basically the same, even though their personalities, jobs, and interests are different.

After finally accepting that I am done with sims 4 for now, just two weeks ago I went back to playing sims 2 ultimate collection... I haven't played sims 2 since sims 3 was released! Let me tell you... hearing that sims 2 music again for the first time, and re-experiencing all those "Oh my gosh!! I remember this!! This is so cool!!!" moments was awesome! I was grinning from ear to ear and laughing out loud to myself. I can't begin to tell you all how happy I am to be excited about a sims game again!

I thought I would be disappointed knowing that, for me, sims is most likely coming to an end. And for a while I was. But since I've gone back to sims 2, I am okay with that :) I can be more than perfectly happy sticking with this game, no matter what ends up happening to the franchise :)

This sums it up perfectly for me as well.

--T
  • Lightbulb123456789Lightbulb123456789 Posts: 9 New Member
    I just got sims 2. I agree that it offers more than the other sism and is better at simulating life. Plus the expansion can be bought really cheap in a charity shop.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It's the ultimate in sandbox freedom for me. I can micromanage all the playable sims in the neighborhood to my heart's content. The sims' personalities are rich and realistic. When I want to play out a story in my head, I load Sims 2 because it's what works for story playing.

Edit- After playing Sims 4 for a few days (checking out GTW), I wanted to add another point important to me. I have ROOM to do so much in Sims 2. Multiple families, townies, single sims, all throughout the neighborhood. No worries that I'll run out of space. I feel like Sims 4 is a small snack that isn't very filling, while Sims 2 is a multiple course meal.

I completely agree. When I want to try a new challenge or create a new story I always go to the sims 2 as I know I will have the space to accommodate all the sims and future generations and I don't have to worry about story progression or culling kicking in. I love the fact I can create my own neighbourhood from scratch, call it what I want and attach my very own sub hoods, I don't feel limited in anyway. I love that if I play household A and leave them for three sim days when I come back its still the exact day and time it was when I left, no one has had babies I didn't want them to have, lost their job or got a new job or became romantically involved with anyone if I didn't want them to be.

For the The Sims 2 should have the tag line "You Rule" not the sims 4. I love the sims 3 and I do like the sims 4 but the sims 2 will always be my favourite.