Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please Adjust The Ear-to-Ear 'Happy' Smile

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Miki wrote: »
    While I'm at it, the "energized" and "very angry" walk-- Not a fan of that, the "energized" one looks a bit too goofy, the "very angry" one, with the bent-over stomping-- hmm - an option there would be nice, too. Some time down the road, of course.

I can def understand the irritation with it, but -- that angry, stomp walk gives me the giggles every time. :D

I am quoting you because your Avi has the smile that drives me crazy. lol No offense, it's not you it's the Sim's expression. It may just be me, but I doubt it, but notice your avi, all Sims no matter how different you build them, mold them, stretch them, can look just like your avi because they use that same expression. They start to all look the same after awhile. If you pay attention to them close up. I play close up and it drives me nuts. They all move their head the same way, the same eye movement, the same everything. And yes, that's probably true in all the games it has to be that way. However, perhaps it's the art style that makes it so much more noticeable to me, that I can put my Sim on here and she will do that smile there in your Avi and might as well be your avi twin.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AtticusAtticus Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    > @Cinebar said: »
    > You have written just what I was thinking yesterday. :( All the TS4 Sims stay happy in my game even if I don't touch it for months. They are always happy even when I created them to be gloomy, and the thought I had yesterday as I looked upon them was good grief they look like The Joker in the Batman movie with Keith Ledger, their smile goes all the way across their faces and it seems frozen on there. It is like looking at a puppet with a frozen smile, it's almost too ridiculous since it covers the entire face even when you make a Sim with an overly small mouth. This is one reason I can't really stand to look at them all that much.

It's because the house they live in or a picture in the room is too nice. Once around the picture or object your sim will always be happy. My sims always have the nice environment emotion now so they are happy most the time. You just need to have no decorations and they will just be fine. You can also have a sim paint an angry picture and turn on the aura. You would also have to change the community lots to be not so nice.

I myself like the emotion system. I'm quite happy with the expressions.
  • SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    I'm happy with their expressions too.

One time my painter sim had an incident involving turpentine at work, she came home in a daze,
    crosseyed and smiling. Made me laugh.

What bothers me is their default face-wide smile. OOOh Aaaah MMmmh. Just be quiet 🐸🐸🐸🐸 you.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I use a mod that makes nice environments have less effect on emotions. I get a much wider range of facial expression with that, and more drama.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    > @luthienrising said:
    > I use a mod that makes nice environments have less effect on emotions. I get a much wider range of facial expression with that, and more drama.

That's smart. I want to try that mod. Where did you get it from?
  • SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    Atticus wrote: »
    I believe this topic has come full circle lol.
    Scroll up for the link to the mod.

edited May 2015
    > @Cinebar said: »
    > You have written just what I was thinking yesterday. :( All the TS4 Sims stay happy in my game even if I don't touch it for months. They are always happy even when I created them to be gloomy, and the thought I had yesterday as I looked upon them was good grief they look like The Joker in the Batman movie with Keith Ledger, their smile goes all the way across their faces and it seems frozen on there. It is like looking at a puppet with a frozen smile, it's almost too ridiculous since it covers the entire face even when you make a Sim with an overly small mouth. This is one reason I can't really stand to look at them all that much.

It's because the house they live in or a picture in the room is too nice. Once around the picture or object your sim will always be happy. My sims always have the nice environment emotion now so they are happy most the time. You just need to have no decorations and they will just be fine. You can also have a sim paint an angry picture and turn on the aura. You would also have to change the community lots to be not so nice.

I myself like the emotion system. I'm quite happy with the expressions.

I know you like the emotional buffs. However, this is where you and I would disagree. I feel the traits should cause the emotions. Not the emotional buffs cause the reactions. Gloomy Sim should be gloomy and it take much, much more to make them happy instead of a +1 one coffee table in the room. Trust me my Sims don't live in the Maxis houses. They dance to my tune, and live in the shacks I build for them. That doesn't matter, cheapest wall paper, floor etc. No pictures in some houses at all. They have to earn it. Some even live with no house at all, still happy. Scores on buffs are of balance. Death of a loved one should take precedence over a happy +1 feel good moodlet. The scores are just wrong. Then let's say your Sim is a loner, traits should matter, a loner would not lose social nor hunt out someone to hug just because of a +Happy moodlet.

They use a blanket set of buffs for all Sims which btw are skewed in scores, and then expect me to believe they are different beings. Not hardly.

Yes, my Sims have painted angry paintings. Angry little stick person. Funny, and turned own a lot in some lots.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited May 2015
    I thought the same thing at first too but then I started manipulating all the emotions the way I wanted with interactions and decor and I've grown very satisfied with the emotional system. Especially with the insane trait. I like when an insane sim all of a sudden feels romantic or depressed for no reason. It makes me laugh.

Of course there are fine tweaks that could be made to the system and I imagine they are working on them. They have plenty of programmers that always seem to be busy doing things so I imagine they're working on improving the game...
    > @luthienrising said:
    > I use a mod that makes nice environments have less effect on emotions. I get a much wider range of facial expression with that, and more drama.

It's at Mod the Sims. Environment something something - different versions of it, depending on the effect you want.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    > @luthienrising said:

It's at Mod the Sims. Environment something something - different versions of it, depending on the effect you want.

Thanks for posting because I would prefer Sims to be fine instead of happy. That should be the default. Fine no emotion at all. Then go from there and the smaller buffs should stop adding to the major emotion that is what causes stuff like death to take a back seat. Because all those other little moodlets are adding to a bigger one. I might give this mod a try in another save and see what I can do with it.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    > @luthienrising said:

Thanks for posting because I would prefer Sims to be fine instead of happy. That should be the default. Fine no emotion at all. Then go from there and the smaller buffs should stop adding to the major emotion that is what causes stuff like death to take a back seat. Because all those other little moodlets are adding to a bigger one. I might give this mod a try in another save and see what I can do with it.

I had a couple split up soon after I installed it. Makes more soap-opera possibilities. I really think you'd like it!
  • DaleylifeDaleylife Posts: 128 Member
    I disagree with this. I think the Sims are completely fine and their facial expressions are just fine.
  • TechToTravisTechToTravis Posts: 133 Member
    I wish there is a mod like this....
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    @TechToTravis
    I know about one – this mod stops the insane smile when they’re happy.

I agree that facial expressions should be toned down a bit, everything looks just so artificial. Movements could be changed too, I don’t like the over the top gesticulation while talking, it’s extremely unnatural, similarly to walk styles – basically the only useful one is the default one, the rest just feel very weird and unrealistic. As far as I’m concerned The Sims should be a kind of skewed way of representing real life, with some humour, quirkiness and elements impossible in real life, like magic. TS4 due to all those expressions and animations and the art style feels like a parody of The Sims. However, I wanted a sims game, not a parody of a sims game.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • TechToTravisTechToTravis Posts: 133 Member
    Voeille wrote: »
    @TechToTravis

I agree that facial expressions should be toned down a bit, everything looks just so artificial. Movements could be changed too, I don’t like the over the top gesticulation while talking, it’s extremely unnatural, similarly to walk styles – basically the only useful one is the default one, the rest just feel very weird and unrealistic. As far as I’m concerned The Sims should be a kind of skewed way of representing real life, with some humour, quirkiness and elements impossible in real life, like magic. TS4 due to all those expressions and animations and the art style feels like a parody of The Sims. However, I wanted a sims game, not a parody of a sims game.

Thanks! :D
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    That ship has sailed. They're not going to change.

This was one of the many things that turned me off to TS4 before it was released. Half the characters looked mental and the other half walked around like knuckle-dragging apes.
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I don't like how dramatic they get either. I even added a mod to stop the ugly grin. I don't want them to be happy all the time but nothing seems to bother them for long. Mad, sad, uncomfortable, and etc. only last for a few minutes when nice decor appears unless there are multiple moodlets for certain emotions to make it stay. It's too cheery and bright like it's supposed to be for children.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    This totally turns me off:

Silas_zpsumzva7ra.png

And this wasn't even part of an animation, he just suddenly pulled this face, out of the blue. For me the problem isn't just the smile, it's also the eyebrows. I dislike the fact the sim I created gets lost once I start playing him or her.
    I do like them when I create them cartoony by the way. Then their facial expressions highlight what I designed. It's my problem I prefer playing them more realistic and not cartoony.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    I like the expressions as animated as they are in Sims 4. It's part of the appeal of the game for me.

^^ This is what I think, personally.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2016
    Voeille wrote: »
    @TechToTravis

Thank you so much for that.
    The insane clown posse can end now.
    04-28-15_9-34nbspAM.png
    05-26-16_2-24-23nbspPM.png

I put in the mod and took a series of snaps of Olivia.
    05-28-16_11-14-38nbspAM.png

She's happy, but only shows a subdued smile.
    05-28-16_11-14-26nbspAM.png

I wouldn't mind the over the top smile if it was only used for over the top happiness, but for them to have it 80% of the time, no thanks. I'll keep the mod.
    05-28-16_11-14-49nbspAM.png

05-28-16_11-15-41nbspAM.png

Her snooty walk adds some variety and kinda suits her.
    05-28-16_11-37-32nbspAM.png

05-28-16_11-37-59nbspAM.png
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    Yes, if my sim is going to be happy all the time, definitely prefer this expression:
    Hqm7yVo.png

Instead of this:
    jULGsPc.png

However, I do agree with @JoAnne65 that it’s not just the smile that’s the problem. I really like that sims in 3 look neutral most of the time, that’s natural and I look like that too.
    VlxBQb7.png

QxUhstT.png

But, when necessary, they have facial expressions, which aren’t over the top most of the time.

b9U9vOF.png

MTnv6UR.png

lak8ClA.png

Mv2eZuO.png

And, one of the most annoying over the top things in 4 is this:
    njRULxe.png

What was so wrong about just fainting like normal?
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • meuamourmeuamour Posts: 117 Member
    Hmm....well I really like the Dazed expression.
    It's cute and I love all their "dazed" interactions.

I have my favorite and least favorite emotions.
    meuamour wrote: »
    Hmm....well I really like the Dazed expression.
    It's cute and I love all their "dazed" interactions.

I have my favorite and least favorite emotions.

If I was going to add 'dazed' to a game I would make that character stumble around. You know like 'dazed'.
  • Tarzan0401Tarzan0401 Posts: 24 New Member
    One time I had a girl whose needs were down and she was unhappy. Her face was contorted into this unnatural, impossible frown and it looked like someone did plastic surgery to drag her mouth down. I also had the opposite happen with happy sims. Both are equally messed up and creepy!
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Get your pudding face on
    02-25-17_5-16-39_AM.png

Honestly though, I don't mind too much.

Sometimes expressions go too far, but I'd rather have Sims be too emotional than risk them showing too little emotion.

The expressiveness of my Sims is one of my favourite things about this game.
    299.png
    302.png